[1.4]Dread Guard Armor - Are these placeholders?

Xenotoxic

Have a look at this article from DarthHater:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/21582-dread-guard-armor-preview

I REALLY hope that these are just placeholders for use on the PTS. Reusing armor models for a new tier of content is a VERY bad move.

Recolors are for greens, blues, and customs. New tiers of pvp and pve content should always have completely new and original sets.

Edited by Xenotoxic
added patch specifics.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reusing armor models for a new tier of content is a VERY bad move.

Why??

People want different color moddable gear, so they give it to you. If gear was not moddable, then I could see your complaint. But the fact is you can create just about any unique look you want and like in this game with the wide range of moddable orange gear, especially with all the adaptive armor available now.

Ya I love the game to but this is just..... :confused:

So the new awesome gear that everyone is meant to be excited about looks the same as the gear from the old stuff AND the same as gear you can get from just doing flashpoints for comms.

So exciting... :rolleyes:

Why are you disregarding the real value of the gear.... the MODS??

Why??

People want different color moddable gear, so they give it to you. If gear was not moddable, then I could see your complaint. But the fact is you can create just about any unique look you want and like in this game with the wide range of moddable orange gear, especially with all the adaptive armor available now.

Probably because most of the moddable gear is ugly as sin. People want NEW, FRESH, looks in social games like MMO's. People complained about how horrible BH gear looked, and BW KNEW this. Yet they put out the same crap with some new colors that mostly looks like they took ketchup and mustard and smeared it all over the already disgusting armor, while trying to sell it off as NEW TIER OF GEAR. herp herp derpppppppp.

Oh, and don't tell me about the whole mod crap. I could really care less. I guess I'm sticking with my Rakata, AGAIN.

Edited by mcdoogle

Probably because most of the moddable gear is ugly as sin. People want NEW, FRESH, looks in social games like MMO's.

Nonsense. There is a huge selection of moddable gear available now in this game to mix and match to get whatever look you like. It just requires a little creativity and effort on your part. If looks are important, most people have enough of both to get to what they want.

Why??

The point of new gear is that IT IS NEW. Yes, modable gear gives us options, not as many as you say there are, though. Using that logic, does that mean it's okay to stop adding new looks to the game? NO! But that's what you're saying. Our complaints are valid.

New colors =/= Unique

It's like republishing the Harry Potter books using different fonts and calling them new.

Edited by Xenotoxic

The point of new gear is that IT IS NEW. Yes, modable gear gives us options, not as many as you say there are, though. Using that logic, does that mean it's okay to stop adding new looks to the game? NO! But that's what you're saying. Our complaints are valid.

New colors =/= Unique

It's like republishing the Harry Potter books using different fonts and calling them new.

Very well stated. I could not agree more.

People who actually defend Bioware doing this... I have no words. The game has some good points that can be defended, but come on now, defending this... this?!

Why are you disregarding the real problem here: No new looks being added to the game?

I'm just going to call out stupid: there's a cash shop coming. That's where the new armor is.

To get a good Star Wars look will cost you something, and you yank out the mods from whatever tier gear you are currently on and go from there.

Edited by arunav

I''ve never worn a single Tier piece chest or shown the helm. I've got my own personal look that I've kept since leveling and I really don't intend to change it. So I couldn't care less. I just want the mods.

The whole idea of showing off the newest tier look is something of the past IMO, and doesn't really fit in with this game. I'd prefer they just create a bunch of empty moddable armor sets that anyone can get...stuff that actually looks more Star Wars-ish. End game operations should drop mod sets instead (so we don't have to yank them out).

Just my humble opinion. ;)

Incidentally there's some bits of evidence that this could be the future, with the changing of set bonuses to the mods.

I recall an interview a while back where they stated that they heard the tier design complaints loud and clear, but it would take time for the change to be seen because the armor sets had already been designed for much of the planned content.

Edited by chuixupu

Why are you disregarding the real value of the gear.... the MODS??

Oh I'll be farming it, and pulling the mods etc........and putting em right back into the same Rakata gear I have been wearing forever now.

Which seems a little.....uninspiring.

I dont think its too much to ask that the mods AND look of the epic gear reflects the epic amount of time and effort you probably put in the get it.

Its just a perfect opportunity to introduce a bit more variety to the END GAME looks and they seem to have missed it. Its a confusing move.

What you have all failed to figure out is that from the beginning they designed the tiers of gear in 3 parts. Tionese, columi and rakata. Same thing here. So the gear with the 28 mods will be the same model with a recoloring. After that we will get a new gear look.

It makes me laugh that you are all shocked. Going forward we will see people stop wearing the Endgame sets all together because the armoring from here on will all have the set bonuses on them., We will be getting a level cap increase coming soon, it will introduce new looks as well, Between quest rewards, drops and crafting. And as another poster already pointed out the cash shop is gonna sell cosmetic gear pieces as well.

Of course everyone has to cry and whine about something so please continue.

Edited by GalenMourne

I''ve never worn a single Tier piece chest or shown the helm. I've got my own personal look that I've kept since leveling and I really don't intend to change it. So I couldn't care less. I just want the mods.

The whole idea of showing off the newest tier look is something of the past IMO, and doesn't really fit in with this game. I'd prefer they just create a bunch of empty moddable armor sets that anyone can get...stuff that actually looks more Star Wars-ish. End game operations should drop mod sets instead (so we don't have to yank them out).

Just my humble opinion. ;)

I agree with you. Particularly about them dropping mod sets instead of gear. There is so much moddable gear in game already, that I have zero need or desire for any of the "flash" gear.

The Moddable gear pieces in this game offer endless opportunity for unique looks and allows players to define their looks very well in this game now. It was weak at launch, but it's great now. So I really don't understand the fixation with the looks of latest tier gear.

If you stop adding armor sets to the game then gear begins to get stale and customization options become limited.

It's good that some of you are happy with the way your characters look and you don't intend to change them. If you don't care one way or the other, why are you bothering to post here? Do you really expect everyone to feel the same way?

Also, Andryah, there aren't as many sets available as you say there are. You'd be correct if they removed faction requirements for specific looks, but that is unlikely to happen. Maybe as a whole, it feels like there are a lot of custom pieces, but you need to keep in mind that people are limited to certain armor types and factions.

Edited by Xenotoxic

So I really don't understand the fixation with the looks of latest tier gear.

Wow, I imagine the look of the latest, most powerful endgame gear has been one of the most talked about things in MMO's to date. Probably second only to the stats themselves.

There are lots of oranges around.....but moving my new DREAD WARLORD (or whatever its called) mods into an Aspiring Knight jerkin because the 15th lvl jerkin looks better is kinda weird. :D

Also, most cool looking oranges are all being worn by plenty of people.....it was just a chance to introduce more diversity. Oh well, I guess we can just think about the new instance.....when we could have been excited about the new instance AND the new gear.

I agree with you. Particularly about them dropping mod sets instead of gear. There is so much moddable gear in game already, that I have zero need or desire for any of the "flash" gear.

The Moddable gear pieces in this game offer endless opportunity for unique looks and allows players to define their looks very well in this game now. It was weak at launch, but it's great now. So I really don't understand the fixation with the looks of latest tier gear.

The issue is that there is no new content for the game. The drought is supposed to be ending with the F2P launch and the "huge" planet Makeb. Offering armor and calling it "new", when it is simply a different color than existing armor is a very weak attempt.

Other games launch with the ability to dye any armor you want to create any look you want at any time and change it whenever you like. You can log on to GW2 and immediately change your characters looks to whatever you see fit. Its a really nice system, and there is no reason an online game in 2012 should not be able to offer this to customers.

An online game that is dependant on keeping people interested and paying either monthly, or in F2P amounts really needs to have fairly frequent updates and additions, particularly in player visuals. How much time do you want to spend in a game that makes you look like Jedi Master Mustard?

Go ahead, say "you can just pull the mods..." but how much time are you going to spend grindding just for the gear, then grinding for the money to pull/install the mods? All that repetition is enough to make me want to puke.

I know, some people take comfort in doing the same thing over and over, but I like to be challenged with something new every once and awhile. In life, unless you are very resourceful, charming, rich, or extremely talented, most days are a repeat. Get up, go to work, come home, go to school, sleep. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Until you get your new ideal job, develop a new product or start your own company- for me getting out of that daily grind was imperative! I do not want to do it in a game for fun !

I am hanging on to this game, just hoping it will change, even just a little. Or simply add new content. Things like this "new" armor are discouraging. I and I bet thousands of others are waiting for Makeb to see how "huge" it really is, and if it really "changes the way you can play the game". Please make the next new content new.

Edited by Insomnio