Will someone expain HOW TO EXIT COMBAT.

Cowboyup

I am either misinformed or the combat exiting system is buggy to say the the least. I find that sometimes it works flawlessly while other times its the most annoying mechanic I have to deal with in PvP - hence why I postponed playing my Operative. I understand that playing a DOT spec will leave you initiated in combat while the effect is present and yet your still in combat for "X" amount of time after the duration as expired. However I have fled the scene of a losing fight many times to go hide around a pillar or corner so that I can self heal only to find myself standing there 20+ seconds until either I finally exit combat or my enemy finds me to deal the killing blow. Will someone please explain the exiting combat mechanics or am I correct to assume it can be buggy at times?

It's nigh impossible to drop combat in this game. People have complained about it since beta, but the devs obviously feel its working as intended since we are stuck with it.

Actually it was even harder to drop combat in beta if you can believe that. Pretty much the only way to drop combat was to die.

I am either misinformed or the combat exiting system is buggy to say the the least.

Depends on how many enemies you have engaged in combat. If you are dealing with only one enemy — his death will instantly put you out of combat.

Thus the main rule for going out of combat is very simple — all the enemies that have contact with you must be dead.

Depends on how many enemies you have engaged in combat. If you are dealing with only one enemy — his death will instantly put you out of combat.

Thus the main rule for going out of combat is very simple — all the enemies that have contact with you must be dead.

This ^

Anyone who you have attacked, or who has attacked you must be dead in order to exit combat. Either that, or they need to be out of range for X seconds. It want to say 10-15 seconds.

Try lethality spec, in combat after you died too.

^ and this. You die, respawn and you are already in combat, when you even haven't left respawn zone. That's pretty annoying if you ask me -- you can't stealth, you can't sprint, you are in combat with someone from a past life on the other side of the map! I suppose it's caused by one specific talent in lethality tree which reapplies weaker version of poisons after their original effect ends.

Edited by Zjabin

I think it's supposed to work like this... one is in combat as long as he/she is "engaged" with an enemy or are still damaging/healing someone.

Some DoT classes are pretty much in perma combat. Which makes sense. Why should someone be able to be dps'ing out of combat.

My best advice for breaking combat (as an oper/sin) is to not use AOEs at all. Never use grenade/orbital as an oper. Also never ever ever switch targets until your current target is dead.

As you can tell, if you make breaking combat your priority you will be crutch on your team in a WZ. Having one stealth be a "hide and waiter" on a team is sometimes ok, but when it's two or more the game is lost.

It takes 8 seconds to get out of combat after the last hit on the enemy or the last dot tick. It also helps to move farther away from the enemy you attacked (you can generally see the one you are in combat with on the mini map via red dot). I will agree though that sometimes it seems to take longer than others, but generally if you move farthr away it will help and should take no more than 8 seconds per the devs.

It takes 8 seconds to get out of combat after the last hit on the enemy or the last dot tick. It also helps to move farther away from the enemy you attacked (you can generally see the one you are in combat with on the mini map via red dot). I will agree though that sometimes it seems to take longer than others, but generally if you move farthr away it will help and should take no more than 8 seconds per the devs.

There is no 8 second wait after killing an enemy. Combat break is instant

There is no 8 second wait after killing an enemy. Combat break is instant

As per the developers - its supposed to be 8 seconds to break combat. However, as per all the players it can either break immediately or not at all.

As per the developers - its supposed to be 8 seconds to break combat. However, as per all the players it can either break immediately or not at all.

When you kill someone and have only engaged that one person, no active dots on anyone else. Combat breaks immediately. This is how all stealth dps melee classes function. Kill, re-stealth, opener KD, wash rinse repeat. It works the same with all classes, but most noticeable to stealth melee.

What the devs said regarding 8 seconds is that combat should break when you and your target are not attacking (including dots) each other. I know for a fact that the 8 seconds break works (at least sometimes) is in rare circumstances as ball carrier where no one attacks me. It's exactly 8 seconds and combat ends, and I get my out of combat sprint back.

When you kill someone and have only engaged that one person, no active dots on anyone else. Combat breaks immediately. This is how all stealth dps melee classes function. Kill, re-stealth, opener KD, wash rinse repeat. It works the same with all classes, but most noticeable to stealth melee.

What the devs said regarding 8 seconds is that combat should break when you and your target are not attacking (including dots) each other. I know for a fact that the 8 seconds break works (at least sometimes) is in rare circumstances as ball carrier where no one attacks me. It's exactly 8 seconds and combat ends, and I get my out of combat sprint back.

Yea, we know, you're not explaining novel, but I'm guessing you like to talk - so blather on. Regardless, exiting combat isn't as reliable as it should be.