Open your mind, players police themselves

Deevaun

Flaw

Recently a buddy got a 24 hour ban but then got it taken off. The reason behind his ban was because the harrasser reported him event hough he was more the victim than anything. Yes he was apologized to and given additional play time. Seriously though, you ban me, you'll lose my account forever. How many others has this happened to? How many Star Wars fans have been pissed off because you try and police the system to much?

Suggestion

Let players police themselves. Back in Everquest this worked great. There had to be a serious issue such as someone exploiting for a GM to step in. Players banned together and did their own disciplining. I remember back in the day on Mithaniel Marr, Clan Bloodclaw would go find a player that messed with one of theirs and killed the entire zone preventing them from doing anything till they logged off. I admire their loyalty to their members, how they took care of their own.

It's also like this. If you are to blame, guess what appens, you lose players. If players are to blame, they get chewed out and some bickering happens. Woop de doo. There is an ignore for a reason.

Look at the trend here. BW is to blame, players are lost, loss of players is bad for morale, possible more loss of players....creating a negative atmosphere. What about a player who is close the leaves the game? Perhaps a guild leader is sticking up for their members and they get alienated, how about their whole guild goes with them to another game? Especially whent his is happening in an already dieing game where content is not coming out near fast enough.

Player trend. Player is to blame, players ban together, have a bit of a war. Might be some bickering. Players might forget about the squabble because, well they didn't get banned for any time period. Log in the next day for a new fresh day. Might come back with some vengeance and want to do something harmful to the other player. OMG what are they going to do? Especially with ignore on? Training in this game doesn't work like other games. People will trash talk anyways, it's the nature of the beast.

There is so much more I have not said. I'm just giving you a brief run down. Relax, let your players police themselves. Spend your time on working on expansions and coming up with new and fun events. I'm an adult, I don't need you to police me. I would liek to continue playing a Star Wars game but with content release coming to a hault and other competitive games coming out, really, don't piss off the customer.

Look at it in one more light here. A raiding guild can have standards. Sometimes they can have very high standards. In a game with a high population yes this can be true. In a low or dieing population standards will have to drop some to get simular results. Before the server merges for instance is a perfect example. We had to take certain people not because they met the standards we wanted but because they met the standards we needed. You can want and need different things. Ultimately what does star wars the old republic need? Do you need money? I imagine you do since workers have been let go. Assuming you need money, you need a product that is stable. You need standards that you need, not that you want. Once this game is in full swing established and you know you aren't going anywhere, you have stable jobs and can project the game will last x long, guess what, up the bar if you so wish. But this game is not fully established. Yes you have the hardcore fans, and i'm sure you are getting some new players in. But you need to solidify this game. When you don't have to let workers off and when you can meet your deadlines as projected, THAT"s when you can raise the bar.

Your very arguement points out that guild loyalty would override game loyalty and good sense to bully unliked players who have fewer friends in game. That is not a practical stance for the game to take.

Your flaw event has proven that because the moderator didn't do due diligence in exploring both sides and checking the logs before initiating the ban, he had to sacrifice company profits (free play time) and appologise. That is the type of thing management would prefer to head off and handle better in the future.

Asking to let the 'inmates run the asylum' only invites the very persecution that started this. As you say, the nature of the beast is that people will talk trash. Giving those with the power to punish no incentive not to trashtalk more, because they are policing themselves, will only exaserbate a minor problem.

You do have a point there. Just remember, we aren't in prison. We all have rights as well. We can act accordingly and be free so long as it doesn't impede someone else. If you were to walk down the street and cuss at someone in public do you think it would cause problems? No. Perhaps if you harrassed them, followed them home but even then, unless you did something like broke into their home or tresspassed on their property, nothing will be done. You'd just be that creepy guy. We have freedom of speech. So should we on the game. It is the right of others to listen, or ignore them. If you don't like this freedom, move out of the US.

Extra attention to detail would help alleviate some of this as well.

If you were to walk down the street and cuss at someone in public do you think it would cause problems? No. .

This is where I disagree. YES it causes problems.

If someone cusses me in public, at best I do not wish to communicate with them or stay in that negative enviroment, at worst I could lose my temper at them.

Intelligence is based on communication. Creating a negative enviroment stifles communication and positive results.

Asking a new to 50 PVP player to 'buy recruit gear to be compedative' is no harder than teling him he is 'a ******* **** **** ***** who should **** himself'. But just hearing the latter doesn't make Me want to play on your team let alone make the targeted player seek to do more PVP in the future, so numbers dwindle and we all lose.

We are not in prison, we are in society. Grow up. 'Freedom of speech' is not 'Right to be a ******* ****'. You miss the very point of the right you claim.

This is where I disagree. YES it causes problems.

If someone cusses me in public, at best I do not wish to communicate with them or stay in that negative enviroment, at worst I could lose my temper at them.

Intelligence is based on communication. Creating a negative enviroment stifles communication and positive results.

Asking a new to 50 PVP player to 'buy recruit gear to be compedative' is no harder than teling him he is 'a ******* **** **** ***** who should **** himself'. But just hearing the latter doesn't make Me want to play on your team let alone make the targeted player seek to do more PVP in the future, so numbers dwindle and we all lose.

We are not in prison, we are in society. Grow up. 'Freedom of speech' is not 'Right to be a ******* ****'. You miss the very point of the right you claim.

I whole heartedly agree that I wouldn't want to play with that person either. But that's for the players to decide. You can ignore whoever you want. You don't have to play with people. I think more of what I'm getting at is, if Bioware continues to police an environment they had best get their information correct and even then, I think it's wrong. Is it wrong to cuss at someone? Yes. Will it give you jail time? No. We do have the freedom of speech. Let us make whatever we are out of ourselves. We are going to do it anyways on Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Mumble or whatever program we use.

There is definetly a fine line dance BW has to do to maintain it's customer base. I'm sure no matter what some people own't be happy. However, as a player from beta on, I'd much rather see BW focus their attention not on policing players, but on developing more content sooner than later, less bugs, more PVP options, better space program with free roaming to explore the galaxy and all it's wonders. Get my point? Biowre, put your attention where it belongs.

I will say, I will finally applaud them for FINALLY breaking up the operation instances in much less population. That was something MUCH needed and it was probably a bit late. But better late than never. I'm still hoping for more from this game. I am still dissapointed I have not gotten what I wished for and what I kept suggesting on Beta forums and more. Star Wars has so much potential. Sandbox>Theme Park. Doesn't mean there can't be sand around the theme park. Add the sand. Add some wonders. Add options. Give us more to do and we won't need to be policed as we will have our hands full enjoying neat tid bits of the game.

Your very arguement points out that guild loyalty would override game loyalty and good sense to bully unliked players who have fewer friends in game. That is not a practical stance for the game to take.

Yup

Couple things to point out!

1) I played on MM in EQ and never heard of this guild hes speaking of so not sure how much of a deterant they really were. I mean you would think a guild master of a 100+ player guild would hear about such action by anouther guild of same server. So not really buying the OPs fairy tale

2) His entire post comes off as a cyber bully mad he got his hand caught in cookie jar.

3) I played EQ and had numberous friends in the Guide program there and they were MUCH MORE ACTIVE then this guy claims they were.

In fact doing what this guy claims would have landed the lot of them in hot water for harrassment and griefing.

4) I dont always agree with mods here. Heck I been a vocal objector of them at times. But one scan of the general forum tells us EXACTLY why players are not allowed to police each other.

5) Ive had numberous infractions and such reversed and never got free time for them so unless it was a HUGE screw up (making it not normal process) I dont really buy OPs "story" about his "Friends " being moderated!

Again, post reads like some kid mad he got punished and wants free reign to do what ever he wants, when he wants, with out recourse!

No thanks