The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Word on chat bubbles?

ZirusZero

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can some please explain to me why above all things chat bubble are important and worth making a thread about?

Because I, for one, completely ignore the chat window unless I have a specific reason to look at it. Why? Have you tried to say anything on a fleet station and keep up with any kind of response? If you don't group you don't catch anything but inane thing wagging about who's better at pvp and 'wanna sell, wanna buy'. I don't log in to sit staring at the window in the corner of the screen that you can't even follow. Give me chat boxes so if I'm trying talk to someone right beside of me I can at least follow the conversation. No general chat, or any of that other nonsense, just a channel for local "say" type messages, coupled with a channel specifically for people using chat boxes.

Let the pvper's and the thing waggers clutter the chat window all they want, I want chat boxes.

I am neither an RPer or PVPer and I sincerely miss my chat bubbles from SWG.

Because I, for one, completely ignore the chat window unless I have a specific reason to look at it. Why? Have you tried to say anything on a fleet station and keep up with any kind of response? If you don't group you don't catch anything but inane thing wagging about who's better at pvp and 'wanna sell, wanna buy'. I don't log in to sit staring at the window in the corner of the screen that you can't even follow. Give me chat boxes so if I'm trying talk to someone right beside of me I can at least follow the conversation. No general chat, or any of that other nonsense, just a channel for local "say" type messages, coupled with a channel specifically for people using chat boxes.

Let the pvper's and the thing waggers clutter the chat window all they want, I want chat boxes.

I am neither an RPer or PVPer and I sincerely miss my chat bubbles from SWG.

I am guessing you haven't heard of /whisper.. Or that you can create additional chat tabs and filter what they show or don't show..

Again you really haven't answered the question.. There simply is no reason for them..

What I find funny is that you are complaining about general chat which is confined to a nice little box, but you are ok with looking at countless chat bubbles all over your screen on the fleet.. Seems the nice little box would be far less clutter..

If someone wants to talk to you.. They can whisper you.. Then they don't even have to be right next you.. Not to mention your conversation isn't broadcast to those around you either.. :)

because you can focus in on the chat bubble directly above the person's head you want to listen to?

sure if you have 5000 people squeezed into a 5 by 5 room it's gonna be difficult. but 50 or so people in one of their big cantinas is PLENTY of room to spread out

isn't that why we have /tell so you can read what one person is saying or join a group and talk to them.

I don't know every game I have ever done RP in we have always just used a voice sercies like Vent or Teamspeak. To me typing breaks imersion chat bubbles would be even worse.

I can just picture a comic book without chat bubbles...

This game has killed its own market and chat bubbles are just one example. They are a must for any type of RP. It's all about immersion and chat bubbles are an industry standard for RP. There are people who bought this game specifically for RPing. Bioware expected enough of an RP market to establish RP specific servers and then destroyed that player base by making it hard to RP in this game.

We know that there were multiple RP servers.... Say 5% of the 1.7mil initial subscribers were die hard RP players. That is a universe of 85k subscribers wanting chat bubbles who would be less inclined to keep playing.

I know what your thinking, "Who plays a game just to RP?" Back in SWG there were tens of thousands of players who had no desire to ever go into combat. They would spend their days as entertainers, crafters, dancers, and farmers. Strangely enough, those people ended up being the glue that held a server community together. The fact that this game has been unable or unwilling to even roll out chat bubbles for those players means a huge section of possible customers will never get into this game.

There simply is no reason for them..

I was actually thinking along the line of there's no reason not to have them. We know they've already made them because they were here in beta. I say implement them and YOU can turn them off if you don't want to see them.

The current G-H-E-Y chat system SUCKS. I want my boxes. Why should I have modify a bunch settings in a box that's up in the corner that I never look at anyway or have to type "/whisper willywondernuts" every time I want to talk to someone just to make you happy?

You're not the only one playing the game here. If it makes it more enjoyable for someone else and you don't have to use it if you don't want to then leave it alone. On the other hand the current chat setup blows and is a real detriment to this game in my opinion.

Edited by bahdasz

I was actually thinking along the line of there's no reason not to have them.

The reason not to have them is lag. Bioware, last I heard, was still working on chat bubbles so that they won't lag the game. Hope you guys have it fixed for you sooner rather than later.

I know what your thinking, "Who plays a game just to RP?" Back in SWG there were tens of thousands of players who had no desire to ever go into combat. They would spend their days as entertainers, crafters, dancers, and farmers. Strangely enough, those people ended up being the glue that held a server community together. The fact that this game has been unable or unwilling to even roll out chat bubbles for those players means a huge section of possible customers will never get into this game.

and that game died a slow and painful death after being on life support for a majority of it's life...

honestly the people asking for chat bubble are a minority on the forum which is itself a minority of the actual playerbase... so stop saying "huge section of customers" because it's not... hell same gender romance arcs and more races are asked for more so expect to see same sex jawa and wookie relationship story arcs before chat bubble as they would rate higher on the list of player desires

Edited by Liquidacid

We don't need 200 people on fleet with chat bubbles over head. Anyways it's low priority I'm guessing.

If it were not for the lag a bunch of chat bubbles around the GTN would seem like the minced ramblings of white noise chatter. Let em shrink as they move away from the player until they vanish, like sound diminishing in the distance.

I'd personally keep them off, but its not a bad concept for those that enjoy such.

and that game died a slow and painful death after being on life support for a majority of it's life...

honestly the people asking for chat bubble are a minority on the forum which is itself a minority of the actual playerbase... so stop saying "huge section of customers" because it's not... hell same gender romance arcs and more races are asked for more so expect to see same sex jawa and wookie relationship story arcs before chat bubble as they would rate higher on the list of player desires

SWG was released when the market of MMORPG players was vastly smaller. It was also profitable for SOE to run it for years before making drastic changes. This game operated mere months before they hit the panic button. Apparently they managed to loose the entire SWG playerbase that waited 6 years to play this game.

They have boxed this game into a directed theme park experience that relies on story content. If they cannot produce the content faster than we can consume it, this game will not survive the next 12 months.

SWG was released when the market of MMORPG players was vastly smaller.

Yeah WoW only had 5 million players back then. Course they were largely North American/European subscribers. And WoW has about 5 million North American and European subscribers now.

Hmmm.

Think of all the Asian players that SWG would've gotten had it released today!

I am guessing you haven't heard of /whisper.. Or that you can create additional chat tabs and filter what they show or don't show..

Again you really haven't answered the question.. There simply is no reason for them..

What I find funny is that you are complaining about general chat which is confined to a nice little box, but you are ok with looking at countless chat bubbles all over your screen on the fleet.. Seems the nice little box would be far less clutter..

If someone wants to talk to you.. They can whisper you.. Then they don't even have to be right next you.. Not to mention your conversation isn't broadcast to those around you either.. :)

Again you really haven't answered the question.. There simply is no reason for them

There are people playing this game that would enjoy having them as it adds an immersive quality to their gaming experience. That in a nutshell should be enough of a reason. Sad truth, this game cannot run/funtion properly with them activated, can't even blame the poor hero engine as The Repopulaton uses the hero engine and has chat bubbles and it doesn't introduce a crap ton of lag, go figure.

Sad truth, this game cannot run/funtion properly with them activated, can't even blame the poor hero engine as The Repopulaton uses the hero engine and has chat bubbles and it doesn't introduce a crap ton of lag, go figure.

technically this game runs on a very modified version of the hero engine... in this case comparing those 2 games and saying "they use same engine why no alike?" is akin to comparing random games that run on modified versions of the unreal 3 engine and asking that...

Edited by Liquidacid

Again you really haven't answered the question.. There simply is no reason for them

There are people playing this game that would enjoy having them as it adds an immersive quality to their gaming experience. That in a nutshell should be enough of a reason. Sad truth, this game cannot run/funtion properly with them activated, can't even blame the poor hero engine as The Repopulaton uses the hero engine and has chat bubbles and it doesn't introduce a crap ton of lag, go figure.

Oh, I get, because you don't like them "there's no reason". And you're so frigging super awesome and omnipitent that we should all bow down and kiss your shoe and do everything you say right?

I like chat bubbles, I can't post what I think you are because I don't want to be suspended, and I think they are needed.

Oh, I get, because you don't like them "there's no reason". And you're so frigging super awesome and omnipitent that we should all bow down and kiss your shoe and do everything you say right?

I like chat bubbles, I can't post what I think you are because I don't want to be suspended, and I think they are needed.

LOL , funny, no where in my post did i state whether i liked them or not. From my post see below.

"There are people playing this game that would enjoy having them as it adds an immersive quality to their gaming experience. That in a nutshell should be enough of a reason."

Its completly immaterial whether "i" like them as others do like them ( i actually do ) Re-read the line above. Sorry i didn't spell it out in simple happy language words in order for you to understand, but thats not my job.

There is, they quite seriously improve in-game character to character communication.

in your opinion... in my opinion they ruin immersion and are nothing more than screen clutter... trying to claim random bubbles over people's heads is some how a more efficient and a clearer way to communicate than nice, clean and organized chat boxes is something I will never understand

technically this game runs on a very modified version of the hero engine... in this case comparing those 2 games and saying "they use same engine why no alike?" is akin to comparing random games that run on modified versions of the unreal 3 engine and asking that...

As other posters have stated, in Beta, chat bubbles caused serious lag in this game. I'm just tired of alway seeing people blame the Hero engine for this games ills. Thats what my statement was in regards to, i wasn't asking a question. My personal opinion, chat bubles are unnecessary in a single player game which is what levels 1-49 in this game are, and again unnecessary in dungen runs, level 50+. Now when speaking of MMORPG's they are what i would consider polish and should be present at launch, the only reason i brought up that game is that it is what i would consider to be a MMORPG. I understand some consider this to be an MMORPG, i do not.

in your opinion... in my opinion they ruin immersion and are nothing more than screen clutter... trying to claim random bubbles over people's heads is some how a more efficient and a clearer way to communicate than nice, clean and organized chat boxes is something I will never understand

Its all opinion. A happy compromise is a simple check box in the prefrence menu. People like me, who like them, can enable them and people like you, who don't, can leave them off.

Then you turn them off. :)

I'm not saying they are more efficent than a text box, I'm saying for in-game character communication they are better than a text box (which is basically like two people sat in a pub, at the same table, texting each other for some inexplicable reason :D).

You see people "speaking"so you don't just run past them only to look at your text box a few mins later only to realise they WERE talking to you.

Now as I mentioned above fully voiced character interaction would be much better....... but that is NOT coming to MMORPGs anytime soon, so in the meantime chat-bubbles have an important role to play. :)

Edited by Goretzu

Now as I mentioned above fully voiced character interaction would be much better....... but that is NOT coming to MMORPGs anytime soon, so in the meantime chat-bubbles have an important role to play. :)

they have that... in APB there was locational voice chat... as in when you used the in-game VO anyone close to you could hear you talking while those who weren't could not... it was nothing but annoying because every other person seemed to not know how to control their PCs volume so it was all double feedback and people music blaring

they have that... in APB there was locational voice chat... as in when you used the in-game VO anyone close to you could hear you talking while those who weren't could not... it was nothing but annoying because every other person seemed to not know how to control their PCs volume so it was all double feedback and people music blaring

Interesting, I was meaning character voiced chat, but that could be a mid-step.

But as you (and I have said) it's a long way from coming at all, and in a decent way.......... so for the foreseeable future it's chat-bubbles.