The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

The ONE thing I despise about this game...

Nellsterzzz

For a few reason. One, there's not many other places they can go to. two, feedback starts usually with a concern. sometimes the "concerns" get out of hand. but this one i agree with allot.

My issue isn't necessarily the but-ugly gear (no offense to those that like...I'm not a fan). it's the fact that I have to take a severe hit to use it unless I'm in campaign gear (which very small portion of the populace really has). some class specs get a huge bonus from their set bonuses. but if i want those, then this whole "customizable" thing they threw at us is out the window.

and this is in addition to the enormous cost of switching gear. I know im going off track a bit, so ill end that tangent here. But it is part of what makes this whole gear design issue paramount IMO. if I could customize ALL the gear in this game, I could care less about what the real gear looks like.

I found a shirt/pants combo that I just loved on my new PT. the only problem was, the shirt was a white lvl 2 item from the starter planet. Now, if i was in LotRO (which has to date one of the best customization processes out there), then I could throw that cool looking rustic garb outfit together on one of my costume sets, and It wouldn't impact my real gear whatsoever.

My real set could look like the reincarnation of the fly meets the swamp thing....but on the outside, I'm rustic farm-girl with a few blaster slung on my belt. now THAT's customization....and it would make all the arguments about the gear design TOTALLY IRRELEVANT. well, about 95% irrelevant. there's a few that would still gawk at the sheer absurdity of the designs...but they still wouldn't care that much because they could still look like whatever they wanted!

I have no clue why Bio insists on locking us into this horrible gear swapping process...when adding tabs and swapping skins is all it would take. perhaps there's a mechanical limitation...I dunno. but the current system is forcing many to wear gear that they can barely look at, and in all honesty, that's a bad design decision. there are many out there that are directly and largely impacted by how their characters look

Ok, im not sure if i understand you fully here (just woke up :p).

Let me see if i got this right. Your problem here is not with the campaign gear cause that one you know you can extract the armor set bonus from it and put it on any modded item you want but with the previous sets (columi, campaign, battlemaster) that you cannot do that, well you can but you will loose the set bonus, that was it right?

And if you have those with you now (previous sets) cause u cant get campaign that easy you are pretty much stuck with columi/rakata/battlemaster looks, is that it m8y?

Edited by Kophar

Gear combos are even worse. My friend is a sorc, he was wearing the full rakata set until just a week ago when we beat HM Toth and Zorn and he got the campaign drop. All that can be said is the rakata chest with campaign pants (or pants in general) is a bad combo. On the bright side we have a magical lightning fairy in out group.

The one thing I despise about this game is the damn gear. I cannot stand how some of the gear looks.

I can agree with this. Love the game. Hate the gear.

I wanted my BH to look like something out of starwars, not a Buck Rodgers 50s rerun.

Good news is that if I turn my head just right my radar dish picks up HBO.

Edited by Blackardin

The one thing I despise about this game is the damn gear. I cannot stand how some of the gear looks.

I use orange pieces on all my characters. Some of my favorite gear pieces are level 10 or so - mostly from lowbie instances. For example, that facial mask Malgus is wearing drops in Athiss: http://www.torhead.com/item/7x4DSfL/saber-initiates-headgear

My Juggernaut loves this mask. Between orange drops, orange craftables and social gear, all my characters and their companions look how I like.

Since drops are class-specific, if you solo an instance, you always get your class drops, so it's pretty easy for a 50.

Gear combos are even worse. My friend is a sorc, he was wearing the full rakata set until just a week ago when we beat HM Toth and Zorn and he got the campaign drop. All that can be said is the rakata chest with campaign pants (or pants in general) is a bad combo. On the bright side we have a magical lightning fairy in out group.

Your friend do know that he can extract the (armor w/set bonus, mod and enh) from the campaign gear and strip completelly the rakata chest and just insert the mods from the campaign set right?

Edited by Kophar

I use orange pieces on all my characters. Some of my favorite gear pieces are level 10 or so - mostly from lowbie instances. For example, that facial mask Malgus is wearing drops in Athiss: http://www.torhead.com/item/7x4DSfL/saber-initiates-headgear

My Juggernaut loves this mask. Between orange drops, orange craftables and social gear, all my characters and their companions look how I like.

Since drops are class-specific, if you solo an instance, you always get your class drops, so it's pretty easy for a 50.

Yep that and plenty of others kool looking, the problem here is that either plenty of players are unware of this or there isnt that much info on where is all the gear with the looks. For myself i dnt have a problem with looks tbh but i do know plenty others do.

Im fine with the looks of SWTOR armor, i do admit some look pretty bad, i hate the look on the WH sorcerer look for example but still, i dnt want to look like that i just extract the WH mods and use the battlemaster with campaign mods for looks instead or something else, not seeing a big issue here.

Edited by Kophar

If they simply let US pick and choose each piece, splitting up the chest to chest, right and left shoulder, right and left bicep, back and then split right and left glove and made ALL gear of all types sliceable into Orange gear, with the ability for an Armortech to "unify" gear with a bonus, then allow color change on all pieces then we could truly design our own look.

Also more slots to be hidden, like chest, left or right shoulder, left or right bicep, left or right glove and back.

It was a MASSIVE mistake for them to go the route they did. The entire armor system needs a revamp and overhaul.

Edited by LordArtemis

If they simply let US pick and choose each piece, splitting up the chest to chest, right and left shoulder, right and left bicep, back and then split right and left glove and made ALL gear of all types sliceable into Orange gear, with the ability for an Armortech to "unify" gear with a bonus, then allow color change on all pieces then we could truly design our own look.

Also more slots to be hidden, like chest, left or right shoulder, left or right bicep, left or right glove and back.

It was a MASSIVE mistake for them to go the route they did. The entire armor system needs a revamp and overhaul.

Im not quite sure what ure saying, it looks interesting tho. Have you ever played a game with that customization before in MMO's?

Not being arrogant m8y, im really asking cause i surelly havent and ive been playing MMO's since EQ/Shadowbane.

Even lotro doesnt have gear customization to that extent.

Im not quite sure what ure saying, it looks interesting tho. Have you ever played a game with that customization before in MMO's?

Not being arrogant m8y, im really asking cause i surelly havent and ive been playing MMO's since EQ/Shadowbane.

Even lotro doesnt have gear customization to that extent.

WoW has some of it now, SWG has all of that. You could choose color on most armor pieces when crafting, some even after crafting, biceps, hands, legs were separate items left and right (actually I might be wrong about gloves, dont remember, they might not have been left and right) and you could hide sections of the armor if you wanted.

Some people got VERY creative when it came to getting their own look.

I

A few of things that bug me in ToR regarding the gear designs are:

1. Capes, why does half the Jedi and Smuggler gear have capes, this is not DC Universe, we're not playing Superman or Batman, if you look back over the Star Wars canon how many characters had Superhero style capes, Malek and Darth Vader are the only 2 I can think of and Vader's was more a wrap around cloak.

Don't forget the king of cool Mr Lando

but i agree i dislike almost all of the end game gear i mean the warrior looks more like a transformer.

if bioware can again reduce the cost of removing end game mods from armor then i would be happy enough to wear some old school gear.