Healing with a blaster rifle

Crawelc

Would this be possible, I want to use a bowcaster but I also want to heal. Would I be seriously gimping myself?

No, you would not gimp yourself that much. The only difference is when you deal damage with weapon-damage attacks you will have less damage. As for the healing, it doesn't matter.

wouldn't you be restricted to only some of your stuff since some require the cannon. I am a new Trooper healer so I am not sure....personally I prefer the rifle also and in PVP I have often thought of using it as to not throw up a huge target on me...but I have been told that the rifle will restrict my best abilities so it is not an option that would be useful

Would this be possible, I want to use a bowcaster but I also want to heal. Would I be seriously gimping myself?

No you wouldn't.

I'm a commando and I don't like most of the cannons so I'm a rifle user myself.

Healing is dependable of tech stats as far as I know.

The "problem" for a commando to use blaster rifle is that you loose DPS output only and the use of 2 abilities, hail of bolts and charged bolts that are all dependable of cannons.

Per example, if with a cannon your primary max DPS output is like 500, with a rifle it would be around the 475.

Later when I get home from work, I'll take some screenshots and post them here to show you.

But all the gear I use is with level 49 purple mods and some daily comms mods.

Yesterday I was doing some heroics and FPs with some guildies and they all praised me for the good work I did and I even managed to do some DPS to help them.

So, my 2 cents are... if you're a combat medic (like me // this is my skill tree arrangement: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRMRzfbkqZrcoZb.2) you don't need to use a cannon always.

Also, there's something I call "a trick" in PvP arenas... using a rifle, people will confuse you with a vanguard and won't strike you so often, as vanguards are a pain to kill sometimes.

They will only know you're a commando if you use the combat support cell to heal someone constantly or if they catch you healing someone they're attacking.

I hope this clerified your mind a bit! :D

Edited by Haggardbr

Hail of Bolts is absolutely required if you want to win warzones. It interrupts captures instantly (even out of line of sight. Mortar Volley is not instant and could easily lose you a warzone) and at the farthest possible range and is incredibly useful for bringing enemies out of stealth when your stealth scan is on cooldown.

your bonus healing actually went up with the rifle

so, more or less, hammer shots will be more powerful, while everything else gets weaker.

also remember with that screenshot that those weapons might not compare well. Try something like a recruit rifle vs a recruit cannon.

Edited by bobmcbo

so, more or less, hammer shots will be more powerful, while everything else gets weaker.

also remember with that screenshot that those weapons might not compare well. Try something like a recruit rifle vs a recruit cannon.

Yeah it was just an example.

The rifle is all modded with purple mods.

It is a level 48 cunning rifle that i switched the mods to aim.

It's this one: Rifle of the Skyraiders

Edited by Haggardbr

Yeah it was just an example.

The rifle is all modded with purple mods.

It is a level 48 cunning rifle that i switched the mods to aim.

It's this one: Rifle of the Skyraiders

well, as long as you have the blaster cannon equivalent (That one is craftable, so it's easy to find the equivalent)- you will be able to tell the difference.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The only difference between the blaster rifles and assault cannons is the primary weapon damage. so healing is not affected AT ALL by changing it. u will lose the ability to use charged bolts which is a healer favorite (Supercharged cells improves it) Otherwise the weapons are the same. as a healer tech damage is the most important at that stays the same with all weapons(considering they are using the same barrel)