The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

elliotcat

Month of Meta: senses, week five.

Week of July 31, 2015

It Doesn’t Feel Like Rock: Sense of Touch: Touch is a bit easier to evoke than smell or taste, but it’s often overlooked when setting a scene. Touch is a basic sense and every part of the body can experience it. How things feel help immerse a reader in your world and make it more real. Does your character’s armor fit well or does it chafe? Is the furniture smooth and well-polished, soft and padded, or rough and splintery? What was the food like--crunchy, spongy, chewy, tough, or silken? Does your character have a means of sensing or interpreting touch that is different from human? Explore it!

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLPs:

Heritage and Antiques - Star Wars is full of special things. Old things. Things with personal meaning, things revered as holy. The lightsaber your father wanted you to have when you were old enough. Your grandmother’s silver (or silver ship) you hope one day to give to your grandchildren. The insignia of your squad’s first commander, the one whose bravery won her (or him) a medal and gave your squad its reputation. The holocron that corrupted (or redeemed) your master. What things, places, or heirlooms are special to your character?

Communication Breakdown - Trying to communicate with each other when things are going well is hard enough, but our characters have plenty of other things that can get in the way. Bad com channels, language barriers, broken holo feeds - all those can mess up a conversation. Not to mention people who just plain don't understand each other...

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

Edited by Striges

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tumblr version of SFC hit 200 followers recently (during July’s Month of Meta, so apologies for not breaking up the theme at the time) and in honor of that achievement:

Week of August 7, 2015

Followers, Companions and Hangers-on: Whether your character is The Chosen One or just charismatic, they’re bound to attract attention. How does this affect your character? Do they try to maintain their privacy, do they reach out to those interested in them like a group of not-very-close friends, or do they treat everyone like family? Maybe a particular follower (or group!) seeks to change the nature of their relationship with your character--wanting to become closer or move farther apart. This week, consider your character and the beings watching their adventures.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLPs are:

Dreams and Nightmares - Sometimes these are literal - a horrible nightmare or a pleasant dream that you don't want to wake up from. Sometimes it's a metaphor - your desires for the future or your greatest fear. Either way, they're a part of everyone's lives.

Why Are You Still Here? - Companions are bound to you in game but your head canon may be very different. Did a companion reach the breaking point with one of your characters? Did any of them leave or even subsequently rejoin your crew? Is there a particular reason an unlikely partnership is working, or a reason that a great-on-paper partnership gets badly strained?

And now, a return to more typical prompts.

Week of August 14, 2015

But I won't do that-is there a line your character won't cross ever? Some act they would never do under any circumstances? Has it been tested? Have they been dragged to and over each line step by step? Or did they hold firm? Even the bad guys have standards. What are your character’s?

This week's featured NotLP:

Exploration - You could travel your whole life and not see all of Earth - so what about people who have an entire galaxy to explore? What new things have your characters uncovered along their journeys? Thank you bright_ephemera for this prompt.

Snatched from the Jaws of Defeat - Our characters get into a lot of scrapes, a lot of desperate situations. Sometimes it may look like there’s no way to win…but a surprise might be in store. Write about a time your character had a success they weren’t expecting.

Week of August 21, 2015

Souvenirs: They’re everywhere. Especially at cultural or historical attractions. Models of famous buildings or statues, clothing with maps or slogans, super-slick guidebooks, posters or postcards. Things for visitors to take home. But at its heart, a souvenir is a physical reminder of another place or event. It might be Official or it might be something ordinary that reminds them of where they bought it. It might even be a scar or injury. What kind of souvenirs does your character have? How and where did they get them?

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

Exploration - You could travel your whole life and not see all of Earth - so what about people who have an entire galaxy to explore? What new things have your characters uncovered along their journeys? Thank you bright_ephemera for this prompt.

Altered States of Mind - Unlike dreaming, some altered states of mind happen while you’re wide awake and definitely doing things that affect the real world. Lots of things may affect the consciousness, from aggression-inducing biological agents to hypnotic music to spice to plain old alcohol. Write about your character’s experience with an altered state of consciousness. Was it fun or scary? Did it lead them to do something they always wished they could? Or was it more regrettable?

Week of August 28, 2015

Distractions- Some characters are more focused than others but everyone gets distracted sometimes. It might be the garden-variety distraction--an urgent message, children, colleagues, someone who desperately needs six pig’s livers while your character is on their way to save the world. Or your character might distract themselves--endlessly exploring Encyclopedia Galactica instead of completing their research paper, or obsessing over shoe details rather than exercising. This week, write about how your character--Ooo, shiny.

And, as ever,

Family - Dealing with a war sucks. It's already complicated enough, but family complicates things even more. Some of our characters' families are different species, or have different allegiances. How do they deal with the complications that family can bring? Suggested by Eanelinea.

You're Invited - Recently, we talked about the companions who don't make much sense on our crew. This week let's look at other characters. We meet many NPCs during the class stories, and only some of them get to join our crews. Who would you have brought if the game let you recruit anybody? What NPCs did your character connect with but had to leave behind? Did you headcanon them as companions anyway? These need not be from the class story. Pick anyone and write about why they’re on your personal version of your character’s crew.

Week of September 4, 2015

Violence is the Only Option-When interests collide, some characters resort to violence to get what they want. Even if you want to avoid it, combat is inevitable. This week, write about a time your character has to fight with another in order to a to further their goal. Thanks to Oliverthefighter for this prompt.

My First - Firsts are usually special - first items, like Jedi and Sith's first lightsabers or an agent or smuggler's first gun. First times, like your first time connecting with the Force or your first time stepping onto your ship. Firsts can change a person and solidify who they are. Write about a special "first" in your character's life and how it shaped them.

Where are they Now? -- As our characters move through their stories they change the lives of many others, most of whom we never see again. The Force-sensitive Flesh Raider on Tython. Seh-run, the Abyssin on Korriban. Zi’am on Hutta. Paul and his elderly parents on Ord Mantell. That's just a few examples. Whatever happened to them? Did they became stalwart allies or bitter rivals? If they died because of our character’s actions, do they have relatives looking for revenge? We often remark about how characters from early on in the stories show up later to help or hinder our characters, or how characters from different class stories make cameos in others. How about some of these forgotten ones?

Edited by Striges

Aiee, didn't post this with the prompt on the original thread.

Week of September 11, 2015

Change of Venue-Few characters--or stories--stay in one place. Your character moves from familiar places and things to new and strange ones. Does your character relish the excitement of change, or do they prefer the predictable? What do they do when they have to move, regardless of preference? This week, pick a new place for your character to be, or write about how they got there.

And, as ever,

Discovery - In our characters' journeys, we make some surprising discoveries. Sometimes they're things about ourselves or our friends, other times they're discoveries about the world around us. Either way, they usually take us by surprise. Suggested by Crezelle.

Marketing - Somebody’s always trying to sell our characters something. Ads, promotions, coupons, flashy events, and more try to attract footsteps and wallets. Sometimes our characters are trying to sell something – be it services, unwanted equipment, or a cargo hold’s worth of hot merchandise. Besides all that, somebody’s got to be the face of advertising campaigns. Sometimes the advertising is right on and sometimes it’s…exaggerated. Write about your character’s experience with marketing.

Week of September 18, 2015

Fasting or Going Hungry - A character may go without food for a number of reasons: poverty, crash dieting, disciplines of faith or duty, declining weird alien food, forgetting to restock, or even forgetting to eat. What about your character? When have they experienced hunger? Was it intentional or accidental? Why? We had prompts for taste as well as favorite foods. This week, consider the opposite.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

Signed, Sealed, and Delivered - Our universes see a lot of contracts made, whether verbal gentlemen’s agreements, electronic documents, or witnessed formal pacts. Sometimes contracts are entered into willingly; sometimes they’re coerced. Sometimes they’re broken; sometimes they’re protected against outside challenges. Sometimes old agreements come back at an unexpected time. Write about a contract your character made or avoided.

Catching Up - Pretty much all of our characters have pasts that might catch up with them in the future. Sometimes that's not a good thing, like seeing an old enemy. Sometimes it's great, when an old friend comes to help you when you need it. Either way, it's bound to be interesting.

Knights of the Fallen Empire gameplay preview today and tomorrow on TwitchTV as part of TwitchCon 2015. Hopefully they'll show some story elements too.

Week of September 25, 2015

Looking Forward/Anticipation - There’s always something new on the horizon, be it an opportunity, an event, or even just a well-earned rest. What is your character looking forward to? What do they anticipate happening? Are they excited? Anxious? A little of both? Something else entirely? What future thing or event is your character eagerly awaiting?

And, as ever,

Celebration - There are many things to celebrate in life: from weddings to birthdays to holidays. Write about a celebration your character has been a part of. Prompt suggested by SveinEternity.

Synchronicity - Sometimes coincidences happen up close and sometimes they happen lightyears away. Sometimes it’s a plan clicking into place and sometimes it’s totally unintended. Sometimes it makes things seem like they’re meant to be…sometimes it makes it seem like they’re really not. Write about a time very similar events happened to your characters at the same time and possibly at a distance.

Week of October 2, 2015

I’ve got a bad feeling about this - Last week our characters were looking forward to something good. This week, they’re just as sure it’s going to be bad. When has your character known something wasn’t going to work out? How did they know? Past experience, premonition, general pessimism? Did events turn out as bad as they expected, or were they better? Worse? How bad were those bad feelings, and was it justified?

And, as ever,

Boring Conversation Anyway - Our characters talk to a lot of people. Sometimes these conversations end well. Sometimes they end...less well. Conversations may culminate in agreement, anger, happiness, thoughtfulness, kisses, or bloodshed…or get cut off before any satisfying conclusion is reached. Write about the way one of your characters' conversations ended.

Guilty Pleasures - We all have them. Does your bounty hunter love The Bachelor (or whatever the SW equivalent is)? Or your Jedi Consular love romance novels? What secret thing do they love - and would be mortified if anyone knew it?

Wow, this one hasn't been used in a while.

Prompt: What if? I have a bad feeling about this (probably what everyone else is thinking as they start reading) Incongruity (disgustingly meta)

What if SW:TOR characters used their heads? what if, the writer didn't care anything about lore and is bored

Featuring: Darth NOx <- that's not a typo

Spoilers: it features Nox, so let's go with the entire SI story Also, trooper and SW ACT II for a pair of throwaway comments.

First off, this is bad. I’m not following ANY conventions, editing it or taking any pauses. It’s all one stream of consciousness, just like Douglas Adams, albeit less funny because that man is a god and I am a hack. I’m writing this because I’m thoroughly bored, my connection keeps dropping so I can’t play the game and the shops are shut so I can’t go and get groceries (stupid Sunday trading laws). Also, it fits the prompt.

Darth NOx, Dark Lord of the Sith, one of the twelve and all around bad guy sauntered up the length of the command ship. Looming at his sides were thing on and thing two, both adorned in Imperial dancers’ uniforms, which is especially impressive as Thing one is a hulking Kaleesh warrior and thing Two is a Dashade. Where the dancers who’se scanty clothes they’d stolen were, nobody knows. Except for a very happy, pocket-mining twelve year old Houk who’d had two naked women dumped on her and for everyone with that mental image, you're welcome. Also, the dancers are Rodians, just the way what's his name, hurdle face on Taris likes.

On the far end of the bridge was a woman, an admiral if you believe her uniform. I don't - she must've stolen it from the laundry room because we all know the Imperial would never promote someone with Ovaries to the top jobs. Just look at the Dark council, there are no women there, and if there were, they'd be in girly subjects like Technology, Mysteries (and Assassins) or Defence of the throneworld.

She scowled like the meme, which was odd since NOx was normally a grumpy cat. Sauntering down the aisle like some campy bride OF DOOM! -not the capitals, they’re very important- NOx rolled his shoulders languidly, nearly bare yet fuzzy chest rolling with it because if you’ve worked your way from being a Slahy-veh (thank you Harkun) to one of the Baddest bad guys in the galaxy, you’ve earned the right to strut around in a HE-man brawler shirt and long skirts and have all the Same-Sex romance with Cytharat and birdy the Jedi’s kid with the silly jacket (but not with Talos, Frell's up with that?).

“Dark Lord, nice of you to join us. I’m being respectful but grumpy and I’ve forgotten my lines. Something something Malgus' reforms suck despite the fact he's totally awesome and his voice is amazing, dark side presence, traitors on Denova holed up in a working Baradium mine, yes that Baradium, the really powerful explosive. Anyway, I want you and a bunch of your expendable idiots – I mean guildies to go down there in 8 or 16 man groups and faceroll it because you’re all ultra leet geared and stuff.” NOx considers for a moment, because like all great men he is considering his options and didn't zone out staring at her butt- what all guys do it, even gay guys... especially gay guys because you'll never suspect them of it. Anyway he was wondering why an old person like her has such a great figure, totally ignoring that he was body type two, like most guys around.

"That would be fun but I’m at my weekly comm. limit, so no. Here’s a better idea, I have a big deadly laser that can blow up fleets that I haven’t used since showing it off to what’s his name, the one I killed like a b***h. They’re surrounded by explosives. How about I call Pyron, have him bring it and we toast space chestnuts or whatever Americans do with open bonfires, the hack writing this is a limey.” With feline grace, and feline everything - he's a Cathar, he whipped it out. His holocom., not his knob. Well, I guess it's knob shaped but that sounds dirty so just the holocom.

Hey Pyron, remember me? I’m your boss. Anyway, Sugartits over there’s got something we can use the doombringer on.

“My lord? Uh, you’ve listened to all my dialogue so I can’t say anything because my VA is part of a guild and needs a tea break or is it coffee – Americans and their coffee, (heathens). Anyway, I can’t bring the doombringer to play because of balance and stuff because the PVPers would whine about how UBER and FOTM your becoming.”

“Ah Pyron, you forget PVPers always whine because they're little b****es who totally don't pwn me whenever I step into a warzone because I'm on a carebear server- I mean, an RP server. Also, story and gameplay segregation. It’s why half a dozen wrist mounted missiles hurts more than three shots from an orbital dreadnaught. Now bring it. I have a planet full of rebels aliens and baradium and I want the silencer to shoot it.

"Wait, you never said anything about blowing stuff up… helmsman, how long before we get there?” “Ten space minutes!” someone off screen shouts with an imp accent. It’s probably Lydia Leonard or Moira Quirk because they voice pretty much all Imperial women and yes the helmsman is a woman. it's just a title, like actor or waiter - there's no female specific word. Now, the empire has many flaws: slavery, misogyny, racism, hatred of clowns (I might have made that last one up - just look at Zhorrid), but they believe women can drive, and that’s why they’ll crush the republic. Also, Lightning beats rocks, want proof? Look up fulgurites. Trust me, I’m a geologist.

Sugartits?” what’s her name sneered, almost remembering she was annoyed at the alien who could fry her with an afterthought because he’s an alien, and that circular logic is why the empire’ll beat the republic, despite it being hugely bigger, having better infrastructure and lots of different species working together, but we’re ignoring all that because British accents trump American ones.

Well, if that’s what you really want me to call you, sure. You are now Admiral Sugartits,” he decided, his voice sounding like Blackadder’s except way sexier than Rowan Atkinson, and that’s pretty difficult. She scowled at him, deciding not to say anything even though it would cost her the respect she'd worked literal decades to earn becuase he might make it worse, since he's a man and she can do nothing against his phallic privilege. Truth was, she couldn’t remember her name either, or anything beyond the fact that she was grumpy and hated her some Nautolan officer for reasons she couldn’t remember. She didn’t think about it. She had very few lines and her VA was phoning it in as it was. There wasn’t enough alcohol, and it was probably that d**n dirty tentaclehead’s fault. Needs more D'argo to be awesome.

A few moments later, because who has time for scale in sci-fi these days, the Doombringer arrived, with the maniacally cheerful Moff at its head. He pointed it at the planet Denova the machines behind him went ping beep and the planet went BOOM! It would have been amazing, with a Baradium cloud spreading into the upper atmosphere igniting it in an aurora infernis because that’s totally a word I didn’t make up, but Bioware (or EAware or FAILware as some pr*cks are calling it these days, ignoring awesome games like ME3 (they fixed the ending for free, stop whining and go romance Garrus for the third time - seriously, can we have him in this as a same sex and straight romance option. I'd go gay for that voice) or DA:O.) Where was I? Ah yes, it would have looked cool but Bioware used the HeroEngine and so you get generic big boom #7, just like with the gauntlet, BUT I’M NOT BITTER!

“Gotta love a guy in uniform,” NOx (who is totally Bi and not something the hack made up so he could flirt with Darth sexy on Makeb) beamed and then promptly forgot all about Pyron from here on out. Pyron disappeared because so did the writers except for a brief cameo later on during spoilers for last year’s content, which everyone who’s on here has played because you’re all subscribers. So it was on ***. Ha, take that F2P noobs: you can’t whine at me unless you sub and you’re all allergic to spending money on a beautiful game like this and does that count as advertising now? Anyway back to NOx and what’s her name - sugarface. She hems and haws and, grumbles and stuff and gives our dashing, deadly not cute and all around sex god Darth NOx some crappy crafting gear he sends to another character he has never met and never will for lore reasons because she crafts dark projects and sells them on the GTN at the lowest price minus 1 credit, because the player is a d****eb*g and wants to watch the virtual economy burn. Oh yeah, he also gets 50DS points for killing incompetent Ka D’argo, which pushes him into DSII

NOx screams as his teal fur instantly turns white and his face gets all veiny. He runs away to Balmorra to give a desperate beggar woman some power converters, and by power converters I mean real ones: not his p***s. Khemmie and Xalek lust look at each other, and wonder what happened to their clothes. Sugarface looks at them too and smiles because rule 34 and this stops right here because the hack writing this just started screaming.

EDIT: I'd like to apologise to Americans, coffee drinkers, people who play Sages, women (and men) straight people, gay people and in general everyone but not F2Pers - you can't report me so ha ha, ha ha ha ha, hahahaha.

Also dear Moderators - why isn't sugartits censored? **** is. Does adding sugar make everything better? sugar*****? sugarvagina? okay, now that's just sexist. I can cavort around screaming female anatomy but not mentioning knobs? Oh, nevermind. <looks around and takes a big breath> sugarerosionofcivillibertiesmasqueradingasthewaronterror? d**n

Edited by Feldraeth

Week of October 9, 2015

...and counting- We’ve had prompts for math, but how about plain old counting and numbers? Does your character worry about how many ration bars they have? How many days (or weeks...or months!) since their last contract? Whether they have more artifacts than their nearest rival? Does your character have a lucky number? How do they show it? Maybe they just count their credits--but not before they’re in hand.

And, as ever,

Achilles' Heel - Our characters are powerful combatants, talented tacticians, clever diplomats and all-around legendary figures. However, everybody has that one "thing" that gets to them, that hurts them, or that proves their vulnerability in some way. A fear of heights... a particularly sensitive spot or old injury... an intolerance for bright sunlight... an irrationally severe dislike of womp-rats... what's the one thing that gets to your character, even on a good day? Prompt courtesy of TrystanLaryssa.

Mission Accomplished - Ever wonder what exactly goes down when you send your companions on those crew skill missions? How does Khem handle diplomacy missions, for example? Write about your character sending one of his or her crew members on an assignment - your character can only appear when giving the mission; focus on a companion. Suggested by Morgani!

Week of October 16, 2015

Promises - It seems like such a small social contract, but a promise can be a big deal. It might be a promise to a child for a treat, to communicate with a loved one on a regular basis, or to keep a secret--state or personal. How about your character? What promises have they made? Have they kept them? Did another character break a promise to your character? Some are quick to give their word and just as quick to break it. For others, their word is their bond and never given lightly.

And, as ever,

This week's featured NotLPs are:

Love Letters and Secret Valentines - How do our characters stay in touch with the ones they love when they are far apart? Did they write romantic messages while they were courting? Has a new companion stumbled on some cherished correspondence with an old flame? Perhaps they never worked up the courage to express their feelings except in unsent letters or anonymous notes. In a romantic mood, what would your character write and to whom? Prompt courtesy of Alaurin.

What If? - Most characters have some major event in their past that changed the entire course of their life. What if that event never happened? Would they even take part in their class stories, meet all their companions, or be the person you played? Suggested by Kodrevas.

The new expansion drops Tuesday, or already if you’re a subscriber. This week, a selection of prompts about changes, companions, paths, and names.

Week of October 23, 2015

Missing You: Your character relies on friends and companions, but they can't be there all the time. A companion takes a vacation. Maybe they had an appointment, ran an errand, or stormed off in a huff. Maybe they grew apart, took a job or a post in a faraway place. Maybe they just went to work for the day. Sometimes you don't realize how much you depend on someone until they're not there. Who does your character miss when they're gone and why?

And, as ever,

Turning Point - Last week we wrote about what life would be like if major events didn't happen. This week, we're writing about major events that DID happen. Pick a particularly important moment for your character, one that solidified their path. Write about what they did and why that moment was crucial.

What's In A Name - Names are special, they almost always have some meaning behind them. First names, family names, nicknames - none of them are ever arbitrary. Write a story explaining a name given to your character or a companion, whether it's their personal name, nickname, or alias.

So, how are things for your Outlander?

Week of October 30, 2015

Day of the Dead- celebrated in Mexico on the first and second of November, the modern Day of the Dead celebration has its roots in ancient Mesoamerican traditions. Returning spirits of the dead are welcomed and honored with food and stories. It is a happy festival, all about retaining and celebrating connections with family who have passed on and and less about mourning them. So who would your character remember and why? If, years after their death, your character’s spirit returned to their relatives for just one night, what would they find? There are story possibilities on either side of death’s gateway, find one this week.

And, as ever,

Life has no Reset Button — Your character makes decisions every day, from minor ones, like what to wear, to vital important ones that change lives. Whether to capture or kill a prisoner. To stay with a partner or break up. To follow an order or disobey. They do the best they can under pressure and with limited time. What choices do they regret? Which ones might they do differently, now that they’ve had time to reflect? Would they make the same choice, knowing the consequences? Are they even more convinced they made the right decision?

Inheritance -- We’ve looked at antiques and heirlooms our characters possess. We’ve looked at legacies, both as a game mechanic and as something your character hopes to leave behind. But what about things they inherit? The things that follow them whether they like it or not. A noble or reviled name? Some nebulous family curse (mother never did say what it entailed). Maybe they’re heir to a throne they don’t want, or were passed over for one they desperately did. Perhaps it’s the family farm, the family business, or perhaps it’s literally nothing at all. What sorts of things or have your characters inherited, and how did they deal with them? Prompt courtesy of LaxKnight.

Week of November 6, 2015

Cheering Up- Into every life a little rain must fall, and our characters are no different. Who or what cheers them up when they're down? How would they help a friend with the blues? Whether as the cheer-er or the cheer-ee, write about some happy characters this week.

Luminous Beings We Are -- Life is bound up, figuratively and literally, with light. Whether it's the physical study, the Light Side, or the dawning at the most unexpected times, we may find light altering the living space, illustrating the spirit, or showing the way. Write about your character's interaction with light. Prompt courtesy of BrightEphemera.

(Un)invited Guests - Things get complicated when you're visiting someone else, or have someone visiting you. Even if you want them there! Of course, things are extra complicated when your guest is someone you didn't want or expect to come around.

Week of November 13, 2015

Strange Relations- Every character has an assortment of friends and companions. As writers, we usually pick types or occupations that fit logically with them. But what about an oddball? Obi-Wan Kenobi was friends with a smuggler-restaurant owner, hardly a likely pair. Who among your character's compatriots has unusual skills, occupations, or backgrounds? How did they meet and become friends? Why do they remain friendly despite obvious differences?

And, as ever,

Forever Will It Dominate Your Destiny - On the other hand, darkness is the figurative and literal opposite and complement to light. Whether it's the physical state, the Dark Side, or some kind of ignorance, we may find darkness concealing what we need, dirtying what it touches, or hiding on the unexpected flip side of something. Write about your character's interaction with darkness. Thank you, @BrightEphemera, for this pair of prompts.

Worst Day Ever - Everybody has a bad day. So do our characters. Maybe it was in their class story - like getting your ship stolen on your birthday - or maybe it was something that happened before or after. Whether it genuinely was the worst day or your character was just in a bad mood and something happened to make it worse, write about a day that made them call it "the worst day ever".

Through an unusual occurrence, both the main prompt and one of the NotLP contain Star Trek references. Specifically, Wrath of Khan references. I could change that but why?

Week of November 20, 2015

The no-win scenario - Sometimes, every choice is bad. Every option has unacceptable consequences. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. Has your character faced such a situation? How did they deal with it? Did they pick the lesser of two evils or try to find a better solution? Or did they, like Kirk, cheat their way out? Do they regret their choice?

And, as ever,

Passing On -“How we face death is at least as important as how we face life.” No one is truly immortal. Even those who have conquered aging and disease still have to deal with the inevitable dangers of combat and the perils of an adventuring life. What happens when death finally catches up with your character? Does a near miss give her pause, an unwelcome reminder of mortality? Does he go out with a bang, a whimper, or quietly in his sleep? What happens to the ones left behind? This prompt courtesy of Mirdthestrill via the TOR forums. (Quote courtesy Star Trek 2, The Wrath of Khan, at the risk of crossing fandom streams.)

...Like No One's Watching - When we're alone we often indulge ourselves in things that might embarrass us if others knew. Bad music, bad dancing, whatever it is, we'd be pretty mortified if someone caught us. This time, write about your character's secret indulgences - and how they react when it's discovered.

Week of November 27, 2015

Insomnia - Everyone’s had a sleepless night. Maybe more than one. What about your character? Do concerns keep them awake? Are they too excited for sleep? Maybe they just chose the wrong time for a stimulant beverage. Perhaps they were so engrossed in an activity they only realized they stayed awake all night when the sun rose. A bout of insomnia could be a single event or a recurring problem. How does your character deal with being unable to sleep--assuming their species even needs to.

And, as ever,

Laughing Fit- Humor is universal and yet also individual. What leaves one person in stitches falls flat for another for reasons of cultural or personal experience. Everyone’s funny bone is a little different. What about your characters? What makes them laugh? Do they have favorite comedians? Favorite parodies? Farce? There’s plenty of humor in everyday things as well. Maybe an amusing juxtaposition of events sets them off, a misspelled or misread sign, or a companion taking a pratfall. Write about a time when your character couldn’t stop laughing. Prompt suggested by Frauzet for Alaurin101, who needs some laughter this week.

Changes/New Paths - An interesting character always changes through their story. It might be a slow change over time. They might pick a different path when other ways close to them. Perhaps their current situation becomes intolerable. Write about a change in your character, or a new path they’ve started on, and why.

Week of December 4, 2015

That's Cheating! - Some characters are honest and trustworthy to a fault. Others less so. The vast majority are somewhere in between. Where does your character fall? Do they play by the rules or make up their own? Have they been the victim of a cheater? At cards, a merchant, or even a relationship? Do stakes or situation matter, or will your character cheat (or not) any time?

And, as ever,

...And Taxes- It’s said that death and taxes are the only certainties. We covered death in a recent prompt, so how about taxes? Both the Empire and Republic are huge, with countless fees, license requirements, and just plain old taxes. Hutt space is independant, but it still has to run. Does your character accept taxes as part of the cost of doing business, find ways to minimize the bill, or skip it altogether and hope no one notices? Write about your character’s encounters with taxes, fees, tariffs, and other means of government fund-raising.

Brotherhood/Sisterhood - Some characters have siblings, others don’t. They might be closer to certain friends or companions than to their actual kin. Siblings can be alive, dead, estranged, friendly, hostile, or anything in between. They might be the one person your character can rely on when they’re in trouble, or the last person in the universe they’d contact for anything.

Week of December 11, 2015

The Mundane - Never mind flitting about the galaxy and fighting (or furthering) evil. How does your character handle buying supplies? Doing laundry? Repairing or replacing their gear? Homework? Housework? Reports? Letters? There's an awful lot of routine things in a hero's life that rarely make the big story. This week, pick one that should. Suggested by DoctortoDannyBoy.

And, as ever,

Bushido - The seven classic Western virtues are very individual-oriented. By contrast, the Bushido code stresses community and interaction: Rectitude (gi, righteousness or justice), Courage (yuu), Benevolence (jin), Respect (rei), Honesty (makoto), Honor (meiyo), and Loyalty (chuugi). Write about the presence or absence of bushido virtues in your characters' lives. Thank you, BrightEphemera, for this prompt idea.

Ceremony - All cultures have ceremonies. Graduation, marriage, retirement; religious, civil, or social to name just a few. Does your character come from a culture with an elaborate coming-of-age celebration? Do they feel out of place at a companion’s promotion? This week, consider the various official rituals your character has taken part in or attended as a guest or observer.

Week of December 18, 2015

The Times, They are a-Changin' - Even in a galaxy far far away, things change. The world, the galaxy, doesn't look the same as it did when your character was younger. How does your character feel about it? Do they take it in stride, or are they more a 'back in my day' lecturer? Was the past as good-or bad-as they remember? Or are those rose-colored glasses blinders?

And, as ever,

Tests and Examinations - Tests are almost as pervasive as credits: Jedi or Sith trials, ship or vehicle operator’s license, weapons certifications exams, advanced intelligence analysis, basic maths. What kind of tests has your character taken? Did she prepare well or wing it? Pass or fail? What about retakes? Write about your character getting through some of the various testing and certifications he’s encountered.

Parenthood - Many of our characters either have issues with their parents, are parents themselves, or both. Parents can make things complicated, whether it's simply the generational gap or the fact that they aren't great parents.

Happy holidays for those celebrating!

Week of December 25, 2015

The Gift of the Magi - not the biblical reference but the short story by author O. Henry, describes gifts given out of true love and at great personal cost to the giver. Has your character given such a gift? Did the recipient appreciate it? Was your character the recipient? Did they understand the value of what they were given?

And, as ever,

Miracles and Wondrous Things - Star Wars is a universe with amazing high technology and an equally amazing mystical Force. Is there room between these two for a miracle? How would your character explain what defies explanation? Has he ever had to? What would she say to someone who disagrees? This prompt courtesy of Frauzet. Thanks, Frauzet!

Fame - Your characters all end their class stories with a lot of newfound fame. How do they deal with it? Being recognized on the street, being on the news, finding themselves mentioned all over the HoloNet - it's got to be stressful. Alternatively, what if your characters met another famous person and had to deal with being starstruck?

Happy New Year!

Week of January 1, 2016

Starting Over - Rarely, your character may get the chance to start over. To try again. Do it right this time, or at least differently. What would your character do with such an opportunity? Would they take it or are they content with their current situation? What might they pay, give up, to start over? Or have they already done so? Did it work as well as they hoped? In most cultures the new year is a time to get a fresh start. What about your character?

And, as ever,

Neither a Borrower nor a Lender Be. Whether borrowing money, your sister's clothes, your mother’s starship, or living on borrowed time, everyone borrows things. What happened when your character did? Did he lose it? Break it? Have a heck of a time giving it back in one piece? Or was your character the lender? Was the item ever returned or the credits paid back? What kind of condition was it in? Write about a time your character borrowed or lent out something. Prompt courtesy of Mirdthestrill on the official TOR forums.

Affection - It's more than just a game mechanic. How do your characters show it, whether to their lover or their family or to their friends? Does it always have the intended effect, or do things get lost in translation?

Week of January 8, 2016

Return from Holiday - However nice the vacation, eventually your character comes back to their regular job. Is it a difficult change in mindset? Did your character leave the phone off the hook or did they check in all the time? What happened in their absence? Did everything fall apart? Did things hum along smoothly, no one noticing your character was gone? What do they find when they return? An emergency, a slow simmering crisis, or nothing at all out of the ordinary? This week, write about your character dealing with the transition from holiday to everyday.

And, as ever,

Obsession: Everyone has interests. Occasionally, they devolve into fandom, or even obsession. What things obsess your character? Is it a favorite holoshow? A musical group? Perhaps swoop racing or huttball? Maybe something more esoteric--akk dog breeding, archaeology, perfume making, fine-tuning hyperdrive engines, or something else. Love feels a lot like obsession in the early infatuation stage. Or might it be a true obsession: intrusive thoughts or actions your character can’t ignore. Write about some of them and how they affect your character.

Bad Timing - Sometimes, the worst thing about something is when it happens. Even a good thing can end up being not-so-great if the timing is wrong. Write about a time when your character had to deal with something that just plain came at the wrong time.