The Alternate Universe Weekly Challenge Thread

elliotcat

New Friday, new prompt.

Week of September 19, 2014

Fish Out of Water: No one fits in everywhere. Even a well-travelled character, or one accustomed to shifting identities, can feel out of place. So how about yours? When has your character been in a truly alien, uncomfortable situation? Why were they so far out of their comfort zone? Did they wander into the wrong neighborhood? Did they miss important social cues or misinterpret what they saw? Write about a time when your character was the fish out of water.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLP:

The Morning After - What seems like a good idea at night may turn out to be terrible in the morning. Or the other way around. Write about the morning after some event great or small that your character has experienced.

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday again, time for a new prompt.

Week of September 26, 2014

Words of Wisdom: We’ve explored mentors and teachers and learning and advice. Now specifically: what words of wisdom did your character take to heart? Was there a particular quote he or she remembers? Why was it important? Because it proved true or was so abjectly wrong? Was it an intentional statement, or an offhand remark they’d be surprised anyone remembers? Write about it and why it’s important to your character.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

Life and Death - Throughout our stories in the game, some NPCs (and some of our own OCs) died and others survived. When did a critical death - or survival - make a difference in your character's tale?

I’ve received a couple more ideas for meta-prompts, so it’s time for another Month of Meta. These prompts are less about situations your character might be in, and more about how you create those scenarios before beginning writing. This first meta is from AKHadeed.

Week of October 3, 2014

Description: In the Short Fiction Weekly Challenge, we generally leap right into our characters, relying on quick sketches and familiarity to carry a reader. After all, that's how short stories usually work. How about we take a step back and really describe a character. How do they look? What kind of mannerisms do they have that a casual observer might notice? How do they dress? Go nuts giving a detailed description of what you'd see, looking at one or more of your characters.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

To Market, To Market - To tread close to a game mechanic, or perhaps just to enrich/contextualize what game stuff we see: The Cartel Market brings tons of unique weapons, speeders, pets, funny-looking gear, and more to our in-game characters. Do any of those items have a story?

This week in Month of Meta, something a little weirder:

Week of October 10, 2014

Crossovers and Mashups: Imagine Captain America in the Clone Wars (Captain Republic and the Howling Commandos! Captain Empire!). Or the adventures of Han Solo, dashing rogue, and his best friend Chewbacca the genius-inventor-gorilla in a steampunk galaxy far far away. Padmé as Sleeping Beauty. Star Wars, the soap opera. Star Wars itself is a hodgepodge of bits and influences from ancient mythology, old-time serials, modern sci-fi, and everything in between. Explore some crossovers with other properties or genres and either OCs or canon characters.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

Oh, Well That's Awkward - The class stories are full of interesting coincidences, especially when you take all the companion stories into account. Legacies, as part of the game structure, encourage even more strange situations and relations. So, what’s something about your characters’ legacy or story that makes family get-togethers interesting. Or impossible. Or just really unlikely.

More oddness in this week’s Month of Meta prompt:

Week of October 17, 2014

Writer’s Revenge!: “Do not annoy a writer. They may put you in a book and kill you.” When looking for inspiration for a minor or background character, or even an important adversary, why not borrow the aggravating habits of someone familiar to you? The chatterbox co-worker who can’t stop telling stories--but none of them are interesting. The neighbor whose garage band meets daily--and loudly--at six in the morning. This week, take the best revenge on someone who irritates you: make them a character in a story. Death, of course, is optional. Have fun!

And, as ever,

Myths, Legends, and Heroes - Everyone grows up with stories. Stories of fantastic people doing amazing things and having wondrous adventures. Our characters are well on their way to becoming heroes to the following generation. So who did your character look at as a role model? Whose footsteps did they want to follow? Whose stories did they read? Whose adventures did they follow on cheesy serialized animated holoprograms? Why are they so special to your character?

The fourth week of October’s Month of Meta, still one more left!

Week of October 24, 2014

Write a Theme: Star Wars is unusual in its almost universal appeal, and much of its success has been attributed to the Lucas’ incorporation of universal mythological themes in the story. Good stories (and modern myths) often have these kinds of themes tying the narrative together. The fall from grace, the epic journey, love conquers all, finding hidden treasures, discovering inner strength. What recurring themes weave through your characters’ stories? Sometimes these ideas aren’t obvious at the outset, but become so as you write or review previous stories. This week’s challenge: pick one specific to your character and write a story featuring it.

And, as ever,

Hide and Seek - Sometimes our characters need to find something they just don't have. Sometimes they need to keep something hidden from somebody else. Write about a time your character was hiding, seeking, hidden, or sought.

In old Gaelic traditions, October 31 marked the end of half the year and the start of the new. A time when the borders between worlds were especially thin and beings could cross over from one to another. A fitting day for the final prompt the final round of this Month of Meta:

Week of October 31, 2014

Breaking the Fourth Wall:

Addressing the Audience: Characters aren’t supposed to acknowledge their audience. Suppose they did? How would they speak to all those who’ve been reading and enjoying their adventures? What might they say to the complainers?

Addressing the Creator: If your character could say something about their writer, what would it be? Would they complain about something? Take the opportunity to give you a piece of their minds? Maybe ask for a favor? Or would they be grateful and thank you? This one’s a lot more meta than we usually explore; roll with it and have fun.

And, as ever,

April Fool! - Some of our characters and companions enjoy jokes more than others. Has your character ever played a prank or practical joke? Did it work or did it backfire? Perhaps your character is the eternal butt of someone else’s pranks. Do they get even? How? The galaxy isn’t all doom and gloom; write about about fools, jokes, and general silliness.

Back to somewhat more typical prompts.

Week of November 7, 2014

That Didn’t Happen!: Or, alternately, It Didn’t Happen That Way! Whether you follow the class and planet stories in your fic or consider them more of a springboard, the dialogue wheel still helps tease out your character’s motivations and actions. And then, there are those other times. When none of the options are in-character. No matter how many times you exit out of a scene, what combination of responses you pick, there’s no way your character would act like that. This week’s challenge is to choose one of those moments and write what really happened.

Inspired by my own recent experience with a Bounty Hunter quest.

And, as ever,

Membership - Our characters grow into and out of all kinds of clubs, orders, cults, fellowships, schools, social circles, and professional organizations. Write about your character's membership in - or exclusion from - some group.

Week of November 14, 2014

Exactly as Planned: Last week, the challenge was to rewrite an in-game event that your character would never do. This week, it’s the opposite. Were there any quests--class or otherwise--that fit your character’s story perfectly? Maybe something happened during combat or while exploring. Flashpoints? Even a bug, glitch, or mistake can become part of your character’s story. How did that go down? Write a story about a canon event that really is part of your character’s personal canon.

And, as ever,

Children - we've had Parenthood, now look at it from another perspective: your characters may have kids or want them. What kids do they meet? Do their kids play nice together? What do their kids want and how do your adult characters help or hinder?

Walking in I wave a hand in front of my face, pushing the disturbed dust away. It has been a while since anyone has really been in here. I eye the faint outline of footprints that move through the room. Never did intend for the long break in between postings. Well, might as well tidy the place up a bit. I set a mouse droid on the ground, one that promptly beeps and whines in protest.

Yes, I sigh, I expect you to clean up in here.

The stubborn grey collection of circuits beeps again.

My eyebrow arches, now.

It whines as it moves off, a neat and tidy track appearing behind it as it heads across the room.

And now to hang a picture Far from my best, it's not even finished, but it does go along with my latest posting. Something a bit to get me focused on writing the rest of their story.

I do have a story but first my reply to Stirges

Ah, I wondered when a minor thing like the galactic war would cause trouble for Aric and Ki'tar. I liked the suspense here and the no-win situation Aric was in. Whose side will he take? Is there a way out? One that Aric can accept? Both the build up and the resolution were good.

As a comment on the entire arc, I liked the first story as pretty much humor. Aric more than a little buzzed, an ill-advised liason. But you took those characters beyond the initial setup and played around with them. I like how the story as a whole developed.

:) I'm really happy you like where i have taken it. You enjoyment does actually give me a bit of courage to post the thing in its entirety. I really should one of these days, then i would not have to edit posts for spoilers for my own story.

Now for the story

Prompt: Something Borrowed

Featuring: Kit'ar and Aric

Spoilers: Edited to remove story spoilers some vague things are still in there but im okay with that. No in-game spoilers that i am aware of. Alaurin my dear, check your pm for the unedited version.

Timeline: a few years after they first meet. Put it at the very end please :)

AN

This is for the Something Borrowed Prompt. I decided to put down something I had been kicking around, a short that came to me while I was drawing at the Art Center. It’s a bit circular.

I have borrowed from Monday night drawing. http://www.quincyartcenter.org/Live-Figure-Sessions.html which on occasion has had me think of one of Tatile's shorts. When I read it I was reminded of art school and the above linked drawing sessions. http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5012304&postcount=942

DROMUND KAAS

“Where was she?” Aric sighed.

“She not tell you when she left?” Vette didn't even bother to look up.

“Well she said she was going into the city, but she is not back yet. It’s getting late.”

“What are you worried?” Vette shook her head as she ran her fingers along the datapad's screen.

“Well yes a little,” he begrudgingly admitted.

“Really?” Vette looked up, “Of all the people in this city you are worried about something happening to her?” she snorted.

“Well it is possible,” he growled.

“Un huh and gundarks are going to become herbivores. Tell ya what,” Vette glanced at the chrono on her datapad, “this is where she went. She is now at this address, should be for the next couple of hours. You are so worried about go check up on her. Cause you know she loves that...” Vette rolled her eyes as she returned her attention to the pad in her lap. Aric's datapad vibrated on his hip, notifying him there was a new message. He pulled it out glancing at the screen; it was an address he did not recognize.

“She's here?” he rumbled.

“Yeap,” Vette's voice carried back to him.

“What? Where are you headed? Where is this?”

Vette laughed, “Your a smart boy, it's in the city. Go find it. I am going, I suddenly have a more important place to be.”

“What? Where is that?”

She shook her head in response as her lekku twitched.

“Great,” he muttered, pulling up a map of Kaas City. “Where is this place?” According to the map it was near the Citadel somewhere in the apartments and private dwellings. There were a few businesses there but not many. Growling he shoved his datapad into his pocket and headed out of the room. Quickly he moved through the still halls, the excited chatter from the day had already faded. The kits were in bed. Jaesa had returned, the hour was growing late. As he stepped through the Estates heavy exterior door the sky opened up, raindrops fat and warm fell. “Even better,” he groused as he headed to the waiting shuttles. Thankfully one was enclosed so he would not get completely soaked. He snorted, “Yeah right,” he would be saturated by the time he located the building, the shuttle was just prolonging the inevitable.

Fat droplets fell relentlessly against the transparisteel, cascading down in thick rivulets. He pulled his hood lower knowing it was fruitless but unwilling to admit defeat. The shuttle rotated as it slowed, he heard the hum of the repulsorliftor activating. A dull thud echoed through the small shuttle as it touched down on an unseen landing pad, the visibility painfully limited. He sighed as he pulled his hood even lower, bracing for the incoming deluge. At least the water was warm...

Stepping out into the downpour his hood was soaked instantly; it crept through the material trickling down his back. A quickly chilling drop ran through his fur and over his hide, causing it to flinch, as he was unable to repress a shiver. Shoulders hunched he moved under a nearby canopy. Turning his back against the brunt of the downpour he pulled out his datapad. Clawing the screen it flickered to life, glancing at the data he looked up. Well that was a small stroke of luck, the droid managed to get him about a block away from the address, well according to the datapad it was a block away, with all this rain he could barely see.

Huffing, he pulled his soaked hood even closer. Looking one last time at the screen he deactivated it and carefully returned it to his inner pocket, trying to prevent any water from invading the dry interior of his jacket. He failed; the wind blew forcing more liquid against his shirt.

Head dropping he left the relative dryness of the overhang and headed down the street. The wind continued to pick up, forcing him to squint as he walked. The street lights barely able to penetrate the thick droplets, their light fading less than a meter away from the tall poles. Hunched against the storm, he hugged the buildings. Eyes barely cracked as he read off the addresses marked on the tall rain soaked buildings.

Finally he reached the address Vette gave him. Aric sighed. If she had just taken her com with her he could of simply called her. He knew Vette was right, he was being a bit over protective, but after everything that had happened, could anyone really blame him? Peering up into the falling rain he saw the slight glimmer of lights behind shuttered windows. The ground floor was completely dark. It really didn't look like anyone was there, but Vette did say this was the place.

Placing clawed fingertips against the heavy door he pushed. Silently it slid into the wall allowing him admittance. The place whatever it was, it wasn't locked. As he stepped into the darkened interior he was hit with the faint but pleasant odor of freshly baked goods. Inhaling his sinuses were filled with warm notes of cinnamon, he could detect an old lingering scent, it was thick, almost sour like stale beer. He sniffed; it smelled like some kind of yeast. Blinking as his eyes adjusted to the nearly black room he caught the outline of several tables; each stacked with upturned tables.

Tilting his head he strained to hear above the steady staccato of the falling rain. He thought he heard voices in the back of the room. Cautiously he took a step forward as a blinding flash of lightening erupted behind him, violently backlighting the entire room. He stumbled forward grabbing the nearest table, at the last moment he remembered to mind his claws and not gouge the metallic surface. Aric sighed, he didn't want to curse himself but honestly could this night get any worse?

Leaning against the table he waited for the floating flickers of light to subside, last thing he needed was to destroy any of the property in here. A light muffled laughter drifted to him, his ear twitched. It sounded like Kit. Letting go of the table he moved towards the sound, his footfalls squishing. As he neared the back of the darkened room, he heard it again. Pale yellow light bathed his soaking boots; it was escaping out of the side of the nearly closed door before him. Carefully he placed the pads of his fingertips on the door and pushed, it obediently slid into the wall. The bright light beyond nearly blinding.

Blinking he forced his eyes to adjust. The earthy scents of minerals and the spicy aroma of freshly brewed teas floated towards him on the slightly acrid smelling back of oil. His nose crinkled as he fought the urge to sneeze. Staying close to the open doorway he glanced around the room.

Assorted benches and tables seemed to be haphazardly placed around the room in a rough circle. Within the circle was a small raised round dais, soft grey fabric covered it, dr@ping over the sides, pooling on the floor. Assorted pillows sat neatly lined up in front of a nearby ornately carved but small couch. His eyes settled on a pair of pedestals, one was white and circular, appeared to be no taller than his knees, the other was tall, sleek, its angular sides came to his waist. The entire area illuminated by a single bright light suspended from the ceiling. What manner of room was this?

Snorting he tried fruitlessly to purge the unwanted scents from his sinuses. Scowling he pulled his eyes away, she was supposed to be in here somewhere. He was feeling rather stupid at this moment; the room was in the back of some sort of restaurant, possibly a bakery. No wonder Vette was laughing at him. He clutched his sodden clothing tighter. He should probably go before she saw him. The thought of explaining himself was a bit embarrassing.

As he turned to leave, he heard the undeniable sound of her voice, laughing. His ear twitched. She sounded quite happy. Maybe one look then he would go. His head turned in the direction of her laughter. She was standing across the room, talking to three unknown people. One of them was a Mirialan male, dark green skin and raven black hair. He was dressed in well-tailored black robes. He smiled at Kit before he nodded his head and turned, walking away.

She looked at the remaining two people; one was a Pureblood. Aric could not make out her face, her pulled up cowl prevented it, but the woman also nodded and moved away. Kit smiled at the remaining figure, a rather tall, robust looking Human male. The two walked towards the dais, as they neared the black robe Kit was wearing slipped down her shoulders; she caught the robe with her elbows.

Aric nearly choked, the robe was the only stitch of clothing she had on. What was going on? As he stared she looked over her shoulder at him. Her green eyes widened as she smiled. Turning she pulled the thin robe back up to her shoulders. Quickly she strode across the room, her long stride consuming the distance between them.

“Aric!” she exclaimed, “What are you doing here? Oh hon, you are completely soaked. Come, let’s get you out of those clothes.”

“Wait, what,” he sputtered. His hands fighting her as she began to unbutton his jacket.

“Come on you are soaked to the bone.” She made a tsking noise deep in her throat.

“I don't have any spare clothes,” he protested as she began peeling the saturated leatheris off his body.

“So?” She grinned her eyes sparkling.

“So?” he echoed. “Kit everything is wet. I am going to be...”

“...naked.” She finished for him. “It's not that bad really. Come on.”

“Kit come on, stop it.” He grabbed his sopping undershirt closed, water dripping through his clenched fingers. “I don't even know why you are here. I don't want to undress in front of these people. Even it is only three of them.”

“Three?” she giggled, “look again.”

He looked over her shoulder, the area around the dais had filled with people; men, women, Human and alien, though there were painfully few of the latter. Grey uniformed Imperials with tired eyes, holding steaming cups were standing at these three-legged wooden things. Black robed beings sat at various tables watching him with avid interest. In fact every open space he had seen earlier was now occupied with some sentient being, and every single eye, from the palest of blues to the darkest of Force-corrupted red, was staring at him.

“Vette didn't tell you what I was doing, did she?”

Aric shook his head, “No she actually refused, just told me where to find you.”

Kit shook her head, “I thought as much, this is a drawing session. Everyone here, is an artist of one sort of another, and we meet to draw.”

“They are all here to draw? What,” he swallowed looking at her, “what are they going to be drawing?”

“Well,” she looked up at him through those thick auburn lashes, “our model actually called in sick, couldn't say what she had exactly... though considering she works for Intelligence I didn’t actually ask. So I offered to be the model for tonight.”

“They are going to be drawing you?”

“They are yes, and considering how drenched you are. You can join me. Your clothes will be dry by the time the session is over. Someone will take care of them for us.”

“I, I was going to go home.” he glanced back at the assembled group. A few of them were actually drawing, fast furious movements as eyes shifted between Kit and the paper before them. “I am already wet and it’s storming out.”

She leaned in, “It's not me they are trying to capture, I do believe you are the first Cathar we have had in here.” She pulled on his clenched hand, “Come on do be a good sport. No one will bite; well okay I can't really promise that, anything is possible. But... they do serve refreshments at the break, the wine is pretty good, the big Pureblood in the back, Gythin, he always brings some kind of Ale.” Her fingers won and his soaked shirt hit the floor in a sodden thump. Grinning she unbuckled his belt tossing it on the ground. She took a bit more care with the blaster strapped to his thigh; she set his sidearm on a table near the door. He noticed that it was covered with weapons, each neatly placed. The sheer number of weapons could only mean everyone in the room, was unarmed.

Her hands tugged on his dripping slacks, as she whispered in his ear, “They even serve food, tonight’s Alderaanian night. I know how much you like stewed nerf.” His pants slipped to the floor, with a resigned sigh he stepped out of them. He always did have a hard time telling her no.

He looked up, eying the gathered crowd. More heads had dropped, almost all were now working; he could hear the furious scratching of tools against paper. He looked at the gathered faces, most were concentrating, none were looking directly at his face as they moved.

They stopped briefly in front of the dais, Kit looked up at him giving him a small encouraging smile. Reaching out she grabbed his hand, “Come on hon.” She stepped onto the dais, swallowing he followed her. As he stepped under the strong light, he heard a murmur of appreciation drift through the artists. Stepping in front of him she turned, pushing his wet mane off his shoulders and away from his face. She looked behind him, “Do you want it up or down?”

Another murmur ran through the assembled group, a deep voice answered, “Down for now, can change it later.”

“Alright Gythin, want one of us or both?”

“Both,” that deep voice responded.

“Alright,” she dropped her arms her robe falling to the floor. “Start out with some quick poses, moving into longer ones. Say one or two minutes at a time?”

“Sounds good to me,” Gythin answered, it was echoed by several others.

“Alright,” she turned in front of him, leaning her back against his chest she tilted her head back, lips parted. He leaned forward, completely lost as to what he should do. She smiled. “Wrap your arms around me, however you wish. It will be a fast pose, the first few will.” Her hand slipped up behind his head, curling just above his neck, he leaned down closer. “After they warm up, the poses will be longer. I will tell you how to position yourself. Or one of the others will; just tell me if you have to move. Everyone here is pretty respectful of the model. If you need to move or stretch they understand, just warn everyone before hand.

He barely nodded his head. “I can do that. How long are we going to be here?”

She bit her lower lip, “Over two hours.”

Aric groaned.

“Thank you, for staying though. It will go a lot faster with you up here with me.” She moved her hand resting it along his forearm. “I will make it up to you I promise,” she gave him a quick peck, barely brushing her lips against his. “I did manage to get my hands on pod racing tickets, two weeks from now.”

He grunted in acknowledgment.

“And a bottle of Whyren's Reserve and a box of Shento Cigarras.”

“And they are mine?” he flashed her a toothy grin.

“Of course.”

He leaned down kissing her.

A deep throat cleared. “First two minutes are up.”

Ears flaming Aric pulled his head back. Kit giggled as her hands moved to his chest, resting below each shoulder. His hands dropped to the small of her back.

“Can you hold that?” A voice asked from across the room.

Kit nodded.

“All night,” Aric whispered, suppressing a grin when a bright rose crept across her cheeks.

AN

Bit silly i know but got both the image and the story out of my head, so i am happy.

Both Whyren's Reserve and Shento Cigarras and be found on wookieepedia.

Friday again, new prompt for consideration.

Week of November 21, 2014

Weapon of Choice: Ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster: What weapons does your character favor? Is she a traditionalist or does she prefer the new hotness? Does he choose something typical for his class, role, or species, or something wildly different and unexpected? Why? From Corso’s Torchy to Lord Zash’s first saber, weapons play an important role in your character's story. Take a moment and share it.

And, as ever,

Groomed - Presenting oneself to the world is a complicated thing. There are soap products to select, hair to style, shaving to do, cosmetics to apply...alternately your characters might ignore some or all of the above. Write about your character's hair and/or grooming style.

Another Friday, another prompt.

Week of November 28, 2014

Traditions: Everyone has traditions. Family, cultural, or personal. Some we keep out of habit or societal pressure, others because they hold special meaning. What about your characters? What traditions do they follow? Why? Something as complicated as an elaborate religious festival, or as simple as shredding every completed contract? Maybe your character specifically avoids certain traditions they grew up with. Or adopted new ones from an alien culture. Whatever the case, there's a story in it.

And, as ever,

Mea Culpa - Our characters have probably done a lot of wrong or perceived wrong, one way or another. Sometimes they think an apology is necessary. Sometimes they really don't. Sometimes they may want to apologize even when they didn't do anything. Sometimes the wronged party accepts it; sometimes they reject it; sometimes they're not there to hear it. Write about a time when your character or someone they know was prompted to apologize.

Week of December 5, 2014

First Impressions--of someone else: Our characters encounter many others during the course of their stories. Some become strong allies, loyal companions. Others implacable enemies. Some end up just plain useless. Still, it’s hard to size up someone in a glance. Write about your character’s initial encounter with someone who becomes important later in their story.

And, as ever,

Head of the Class - Our characters have been to academies, universities, boot camps, and the universal school of hard knocks: as students, as teachers, or maybe as maintenance, assistant, or thief. Write about your character's education.

Funny thing. This prompt has been camped out in my big file o’ prompt ideas since well before they even announced the new expansion.

Week of December 12, 2014

Tall tales and exaggeration: Our characters’ adventures are exciting enough, but even the most entertaining true tale gets better with a little embellishment. Has your character ever improved on the original events for cantina entertainment? Or to impress someone? Enhanced their reputation by bending the facts a little? A lot? Or has someone else on their behalf? Is it odd overhearing someone else telling stories about them? Are the tales even a little bit true by the time they come back? This week, let’s have some boasting, aggrandizement, and hyperbole.

And, as ever,

Fashion - Most of our characters wear clothes. Do they follow fashion? Set it? Actively offend it? Are they more collars and cuffs or sweats and monkey-lizard slippers? What's their favorite thing to wear, what have they saved for years even if they don't fit into it, and what would they love to wear if they could just find the occasion for it? Write about your characters' clothing and how they relate to it. Prompt courtesy of @iamthehoyden.

Friday again, and the new prompt arrives:

Week of December 19, 2014

A Good Villain: Every hero needs an antagonist, someone who thwarts them at every turn. This week’s challenge: write a story centered on your character’s main villain. This might be an enemy the game made for your character or one you invented in your character’s story, but either way, this is their time in the sun. Make it good. Or bad, as the case may be.

And, as ever,

Planes, Trains, and Thrantamobiles - It's a big galaxy out there and we all have to get around somehow. Our characters encounter ticketing, hyperspace calculations, docking fees, late-running rides and more on ships, banthas, landspeeders, thrantas, troop transports, tauntauns, and/or whatever improvised modes of transportation they can get. Write about your character's transportation experience.

A prompt for the final Friday of 2014:

Week of December 26, 2014

Parties: Every culture has social functions. For celebrating holidays, for marking special occasions, for fun. What does your character think of them? Are they an avid participant or a wallflower? Throw their own party at the drop of a hat, or have to be dragged, kicking and screaming, to a not-exactly-optional affair? Arrive early and stay late, or put in a brief appearance and slip away as soon as possible? Are the parties they host the place to be seen, the talk of the town, where anyone who is anyone simply has to be? Or are they low key, private, and invitation only? What about crashing a party--or dealing with the crashers? A combination of any and all these things? In this week of celebrations of various kinds, write about your character’s social scene.

And, as ever,

Gifts - Gifts serve a multitude of functions, from hospitality, diplomacy, housewarming, affection, celebration, to manipulation or poison. They can be big or small, expensive or free, expected or surprising, public or private. Write about a gift your character has given or received.

First Friday of the New Year, according to the Gregorian calendar, at least, first prompt of 2015:

Week of January 2, 2015

Resolutions: Has your character ever resolved to change a bad habit or start a better one? What prompted the impulse? Did they make a private vow or did they enlist the help of friends or family? Were they successful? Or did they slip back into old ways after a while? For this New Year Week, write about your character and resolutions.

And, as ever,

The Droids You're Looking For - One of the hallmarks of the Star Wars universe is the presence of droids: astromech, protocol, combat, and more. Write about the droids that support (or hinder) your characters.

Week of January 9, 2015

Baggage:

What kind of baggage does your character carry with them from early experiences? Good or bad. Are they mistrustful because someone took advantage of them? Insecure because of past criticism? Confident because they've overcome obstacles? Sure of their destiny- or afraid of their fate? The past shapes your character's present. Tell a story about how or why.

And, as ever,

Anniversaries - Some dates are remembered and celebrated; others are remembered and reviled. From the fresh anniversary of something that happened just a year ago to the enduring remembrance of holidays for cultures and nations, people often mark the date and do something to observe the occasion. Write about an anniversary or significant holiday in your character's life.

Friday again, new prompt for consideration.

Week of January 16, 2015

Colors: Republic Blue. Empire Red. Sith Black. Jedi Brown. We associate nations, religions, companies, families, and even emotions with certain colors. What about your character? Do they have a favorite color? Do colors mean much to them? Do they abide by the color conventions for their affiliations? Or do they choose something different because they prefer it? Why? This week, write about how your character navigates the visual spectrum.

And, as ever,

Defenses - Sometimes our characters defend what's theirs. Sometimes they defend the things they care about. Sometimes they're asked to defend things they really don't like. Whether in combat or conversation, write about your character's efforts to defend something or someone.

Week of January 23, 2015

Lifespan: A human in the Star Wars universe might easily live to 100 standard years. Wookiees live four times as long. Chiss, on the other hand, typically reach only 80, and Talz are luck to get to fifty. In a galaxy where beings of such differing lifespan can meet, interact, become friends, enemies, partners, or more, how do they deal with the knowledge that one of the pair will outlive the other? Perhaps by a significant amount? Does your character accept their (or a loved one’s) natural span or desire more? Were they reckless in their youth and less so in age, or the reverse? The Force is known to prolong lives--perhaps even to immortality or near-immortality. How does a character plan for that? This week, write about how your character approaches differences in expected lifespan.

And, as ever,

Mea Culpa - Our characters have probably done a lot of wrong or perceived wrong, one way or another. Sometimes they think an apology is necessary. Sometimes they really don't. Sometimes they may want to apologize even when they didn't do anything. Sometimes the wronged party accepts it; sometimes they reject it; sometimes they're not there to hear it. Write about a time when your character or someone they know was prompted to apologize.

Last week of January!

Week of January 30, 2015

Pick-up lines: Use them? Been used on? Turned down? Accepted? Laughed at? Good ones, bad ones, sincere or stupid and everything in between. Write about how your character deals with a classic (if dubious) way to connect with someone else.

And, as ever,

Animal Kingdom - Animals are all over in Star Wars, be they beasts of burden, metal-devouring parasites, mounts, showcase pets or underfoot vermin. Write about the animals your character has encountered.

The First Friday of February!

Week of February 6, 2015

Religious differences: Unlike most science fiction/space opera, Star Wars and SWTOR put religion and belief front and center. Jedi and Sith are the most obvious conflicting ideologies, but they are not alone. The Witches of Dathomir. The Trandoshan Scorekeeper. Voss' Mystics and the opposing Gormak Shaman. A quick perusal of Wookieepedia will find even more. How does your character view all these belief systems? Do they subscribe to any of them? None? How do they reconcile the differences among them? In a universe where the Force is undeniably real, where it inspires both hope and horror, what does your character think of those "hokey religions" and "sorcerer's ways"?

Cross My Heart - Honesty isn't exactly espoused by most organizations in the galaxy, but some individuals and groups still strive for it. Write about your characters encountering (or handing out) the right or wrong truth at the right or wrong time.

Friday the 13th!

Week of February 13, 2015

Cupid’s Arrow: According to legend, any heart pierced by Cupid’s golden-tipped arrow--human or deity alike--filled with uncontrollable, all-consuming desire. Classic love at first sight. But Cupid’s quiver also contained lead-tipped arrows with the opposite effect: provoking disdain and aversion. Has either arrow ever wounded your character? Or perhaps one of their close associates? An object of affection? Cupid’s influence covers the gamut of passions--from the sensual to unrequited all the way to bitter animosity. Tell a story where your character experiences irrational love or irrational hate. Or both.

And, as ever,

Navigation - Our characters often find themselves navigating toward a goal by means of maps, tracking signals, advisors, or instinct. Write about some guidance that pointed the way.

A prompt for not-the-last-week of February:

Week of February 20, 2015

Preparation: How does your character approach a competition, a blind date, or a delicate mission? Are they a meticulous planner? The one who has contingencies for the contingencies? Rehearsing their lines or moves until they can do them asleep? Or are they more of a “never tell me the odds” sort, walking in with an outline--if that--and winging it? Whether gathering intel and supplies or getting into the proper mental state, show your character getting ready.

And, as ever,

Collections - This wide galaxy is a great place for hoarders...or definitely not hoarders, I don't know what you're talking about. Where would your character put all the random things you can accumulate, all the speeders, random pets, the copious crafting mats, countless outfits, armor sets, saber hilts.... or does your character only collect one thing in particular, a couple of things, or nothing at all? Prompt courtesy of Kitar.

A prompt for the last friday of the shortest month of the year:

Week of February 27, 2015

Good/Bad Habits- We're all creatures of habit, whether it be actions (speaking before thinking, gambling, looking for all exits whenever entering a room), rituals (sleeping in the buff, wearing a particular color/article of clothing for luck), or substance use (caf, stims, alcohol, spice). Write about a habit your character has. Thanks to Alaurin for this prompt!

And, as ever,

Collections - This wide galaxy is a great place for hoarders...or definitely not hoarders, I don't know what you're talking about. Where would your character put all the random things you can accumulate, all the speeders, random pets, the copious crafting mats, countless outfits, armor sets, saber hilts.... or does your character only collect one thing in particular, a couple of things, or nothing at all? Prompt courtesy of Kitar.