10 races that are better than Cathar.

Beans_of_steel

Anyone who is as annoyed as i am with the terrible choice of Cathar as the new playable race, please write the names of your top 10 species that you think would have been better choices, and perhaps with a little luck the right people will take notice and help ensure garbage like this doesnt happen again. Heres mine:

1.Wookiee, 2.Droid, 3.Mon Calamari, 4.Jawa, 5.Rodian, 6.Sullustan, 7.Trandoshan, 8.Quarren, 9.Duros, 10.Nogrhi

I understand some people like Cathar, and actually requested them, but this thread is more for those who didnt, and would like to throw other ideas out there.

Edited by Beans_of_steel

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who is as annoyed as i am with the terrible choice of Cathar as the new playable race, please write the names of your top 10 species that you think would have been better choices, and perhaps with a little luck the right people will take notice and help ensure garbage like this doesnt happen again. Heres mine:

1.Wookiee, 2.Droid, 3.Mon Calamari, 4.Jawa, 5.Rodian, 6.Sullustan, 7.Trandoshan, 8.Quarren, 9.Duros, 10.Nogrhi

You do realize that adding "Droid" as a race would involve a ton of reworking for PvP, right?

Disable Droid now becomes useful in PvP, giving Sentinels a mez. It also negates the In-Stealth Mez moves of Scoundrel and Shadow. One of the great things about this game is that race is purely aesthetic. Adding Droid as a playable race would change that.

EDIT: I will say, I would like to see Kaleesh playable at some point.

Edited by Ikselent

Wookiee: lame.

Droid: What? No. Lame.

Mon Calamari: I agree!

Jawa: What?? Really? God, no.

Rodian: Eh.

Sullustan: I approve.

Trandoshan: Eh.

Quarren: Cool :)

Duros: Yes!

1. Selkath: bloody awesome, extremely original

2. Ithorian: exotic, exciting, a classic.

3. Nautolan: popular, exotic, interesting

4. Duros: slick, pretty awesome

5. Togruta: beautiful, exotic, interesting

6. Mon Calamari: exotic, a classic

7. Bith: classic, exotic, exciting

8. Kel Dor: stylish, exotic

9: Vurk: what's cooler? Exotic, interesting

10: Nikto: classic, exotic

I understand that itd b tough, am just illustrating that there are alot of other choices that would have been better, especially considering the fact that fans that remain loyal to the game are more star wars fans than mmo fans, they need to keep that in mind by involving races that are acually portarayed as cool in the more popular novels and original trilogy, oversized pussycats? cmon man, they gotta try harder than that.

I would play a wookiee, ive wanted to from day 1, ive heard others request jawas, itd b cool to hav any small race and there better than ewoks n most recognizable by fans. Any those others u listed woulda been cool with me too, better than the thundercats.

Agreed.

If you're looking for cool, small species, I'd go with Xexto. Long neck, four arms, stout and short, they'd be very cool without being...lame.

Agreed.

If you're looking for cool, small species, I'd go with Xexto. Long neck, four arms, stout and short, they'd be very cool without being...lame.

ya I kno those guys, shorty version of Poofs species, one was in the podrace, that would be cool too man, and still recognizable to many.

Edited by Beans_of_steel

You do realize that adding "Droid" as a race would involve a ton of reworking for PvP, right?

Disable Droid now becomes useful in PvP, giving Sentinels a mez. It also negates the In-Stealth Mez moves of Scoundrel and Shadow. One of the great things about this game is that race is purely aesthetic. Adding Droid as a playable race would change that.

EDIT: I will say, I would like to see Kaleesh playable at some point.

JAWA?..I want a small cute race jawas are cute to me.

Not wanting to get overly worried about peoples choices everyone has their preference.

But have to agree with the OP there are plenty of better options that Cathar, what amazed more is that it doesn't even seem overly well done from the clip on the upcoming content video. Star Trek online have just added a cat person species and theres looks better done and less like a Thundercat from an 80's cartoon.

Where are the alien species? When will we start seeing something that looks like a species from the films. Maybe its the sytlised graphics I don't know but the only reason I would roll a Thundercat is to hopefully make it appear like species are worth doing in the bling hope the next one wont suck.

Edited by Costello

Ya wow added a cat race to there game too tho a couple years bak, it also looks alot less lame, why would they even do it if trek n wow already did, and with all the options they have? Its almost as if theyre setting it up with a bad 1st choice so itd fail n theyd have an excuse to never do another species. Lets hope thats not the case, and they understand that if it does fail its cuz they picked a lame race, because to my knowledge no star wars fan in the world has ever said: "Cathar are such a cool looking alien, i hope they make them playable in Old Republic." or anything of the like.

Im not skeptical dude, i just plain find them to be all around bland and annoying species, weve all been waiting, asking, or wishing for a new species and they give us almost the lamest choice possible, id prefer they just left the dumb Cathar out of it and took there time to make a species actually worth playing.

Ya wow added a cat race to there game too tho a couple years bak, it also looks alot less lame, why would they even do it if trek n wow already did, and with all the options they have? Its almost as if theyre setting it up with a bad 1st choice so itd fail n theyd have an excuse to never do another species. Lets hope thats not the case, and they understand that if it does fail its cuz they picked a lame race, because to my knowledge no star wars fan in the world has ever said: "Cathar are such a cool looking alien, i hope they make them playable in Old Republic." or anything of the like.

actually it was said a lot before launch. the top three races in every pole that was put up on the web site were Togruta, Nautolan, Cathar. the position in the top three changed from pole to pole but it was always the same three at the top. i remember 1 pole that had about 20 races listed and those same three went straight to the top every time it was restarted.

A wookie jedi would b overdoing it but a trooper, smuggler, or even bounty hunter, would b awesome, id be more fine with a class restricted Wookiee than any kind of Cathar. If they dont like the wookiee talking problem for story parts, they can add a translator droid, or even just a droid head strapped to a powerpack on the wookiees belt, that could b really cool.

actually it was said a lot before launch. the top three races in every pole that was put up on the web site were Togruta, Nautolan, Cathar. the position in the top three changed from pole to pole but it was always the same three at the top. i remember 1 pole that had about 20 races listed and those same three went straight to the top every time it was restarted.

That is very weird, I dont kno anybody who'd vote for that. Interesting how you worded that tho "before launch". How many of those people do you think are playing the game now? Probably not the same, or as many.