General Chat Is Killing SWTOR

MiddleDarkness

Out with general chat, in with chat bubbles. I enjoy every aspect of SWTOR with time played 149 Days, 17 hours, 10 minutes EXCEPT GENERAL CHAT, its poison killing the game and any enjoyment I get from it. The first thing I read when I sign on is “swtor sucks, I hate this game, the event is lame’’ etc....... non-stop all day and if isn’t SWTOR bashing it’s innate never-ending ending stream on stupid questions from so many trolls no one ever helps people that actually need help. There is no reason for gen chat, why does some guy talking about his personal hygiene on the other side of the planet not even playing game have to be broadcast for all to see, or crafters spamming “buy my junk, buy my junk, and buy my junk”. Have a noob/stupid question channel with a GM in it to answer the 1000 “where did I park my spaceship” questions. General chat is seriously ruining game. The social people who just like to blab can blab to their guild and if they don’t have a guild it’s because no one wants to hear them so don’t give them a way to reach everyone trying enjoy the game by having general chat. Please employ chat bubbles

Out with general chat, in with chat bubbles. I enjoy every aspect of SWTOR with time played 149 Days, 17 hours, 10 minutes EXCEPT GENERAL CHAT, its poison killing the game and any enjoyment I get from it. The first thing I read when I sign on is “swtor sucks, I hate this game, the event is lame’’ etc....... non-stop all day and if isn’t SWTOR bashing it’s innate never-ending ending stream on stupid questions from so many trolls no one ever helps people that actually need help. There is no reason for gen chat, why does some guy talking about his personal hygiene on the other side of the planet not even playing game have to be broadcast for all to see, or crafters spamming “buy my junk, buy my junk, and buy my junk”. Have a noob/stupid question channel with a GM in it to answer the 1000 “where did I park my spaceship” questions. General chat is seriously ruining game. The social people who just like to blab can blab to their guild and if they don’t have a guild it’s because no one wants to hear them so don’t give them a way to reach everyone trying enjoy the game by having general chat. Please employ chat bubbles

heres a TL : DR for you too

me me *********** me

theres a easy way to fix it without changing anything about the game

unplug your internet your clearly not a social player so dont play a social game

The first thing I read when I sign on is “swtor sucks, I hate this game, the event is lame’’ etc.......

I don't get that on the General Chat -- these forums maybe.

...non-stop all day and if isn’t SWTOR bashing it’s innate never-ending ending stream on stupid questions from so many trolls no one ever helps people that actually need help.

A good portion of the population that plays this game doesn't seem to realize it is an MMO. Of the rest, only a fraction of them seem to be willing to put the effort in to help other players.

I was on Drumond Kas the other day just helping out level 10s. I don't want an award, I just want to see other players making the game a better experience for people.

There is no reason for gen chat, why does some guy talking about his personal hygiene on the other side of the planet not even playing game have to be broadcast for all to see, or crafters spamming “buy my junk, buy my junk, and buy my junk”.

Generally I only see good quality items being hawked on general chat.

Have a noob/stupid question channel with a GM in it to answer the 1000 “where did I park my spaceship” questions.

Okay, now you are in my sights. MAKE the game a GOOD EXPERIENCE for NEW PLAYERS. Or you won't have a game for much longer. Just ignore the General Chat. I have a Custom Chat that is just guild, group and whispers. I switch to that when I'm feeling anti-social.

General chat is seriously ruining game. The social people who just like to blab can blab to their guild and if they don’t have a guild it’s because no one wants to hear them so don’t give them a way to reach everyone trying enjoy the game by having general chat. Please employ chat bubbles

You started off on the right note but, seriously, just turn it off if it bothers you that much. Whiners are definitely annoying, but new players asking legitimate questions should have those questions answered and not be the object of this sort of diatribe.

- Arcada

Communication never ruins anything.

But because I'm a cuddly fuzzy friendly type, I have crafted a custom solution set for you

1) Right-click player name, select Ignore Player. After just one gaming session, you'll discover that the signal to noise ratio changes dramatically, as it's often the same @#$@#$%s spamming chat constantly.

2) Right-click the General tab and select New Tab. This will open an interface where you set what you do and do not wish to see. Do not opt to see the general stream.

Edited by Journeyer

Get real...just turn general chat off if it chaffs your wrinklies so much.

Chat bubbles...seriously...so you want the game screen filled with stoopid chat bubbles in fleet and where ever there might be numerous peeps gathered?. I suppose you're one of those that would like to see a fantastic addition to the game called "sitting in chairs"....lol

grow a little... as person and as a player then come back and read the garbage you have posted..and be shamed

Yet another socially awkward and socially fearful person that considers themselves above the rest of us lesser mortals. I greet you, Supreme One, and offer this bit of advice.

Just turn it off. Mouse over the chat box, right click General tab. Go to the third box down and click it. Bam. No more General. Easier than your sister and you can play solo to your heart's content.

Oh, and for future reference, the chat bubble argument is so roleplaying people can have an easier time deciphering their conversations from conversations being held clear across the Fleet. Not because you have yet to figure out how to work the Ignore feature.

Edited by Malles

General Chat is a common feature of all games commonly referred to as an 'MMO'.

So I would argue it's not killing SWTOR, as it would be contrary to what's expected of any MMO.

However a word of advice is this; click on chat, click on settings and deselect the boxes for general or area chat.

Alternatively click on the little arrow thingy in the top left corner to make the chat box entirely disappear.

Problem solved - restlessone saves the day - hurrah.

Warning - don't ask people to refrain from making rude/inappropriate comments in general chat (like I have) as you will likely meet with some fairly unfriendly remarks. Unless you enjoy that kind of thing. You could consider ignoring them, another cool feature of an MMO.

Also does anyone else think there's some irony to someone complaining about general chat in a general discussion forum, considering the similarities?? hmmm

Edited by restlessone

Also does anyone else think there's some irony to someone complaining about general chat in a general discussion forum, considering the similarities?? hmmm

This isn't in General Discussion.

This is in Star Wars Discussion.