SWTOR anime anyone?

Timarick

Now I know that Clone Wars is in full swing (and is *********** awesome!!!! *Jedi Mind Trick* You will watch Clone Wars!), but I've been thinking over the past few days that SWTOR is an allegory to Star Wars' medieval and feudal Japanese eras. What's even more interesting is that much of Star Wars, George Lucas' based on Akira Kurasowa movies and the Jedi in turn are based very heavily on Samurai. With a growing love and emulation of Japanese traditions, doesn't it seem fitting if a tv show was created to bring it back home?

Now follow me on this here but BioWare has set this very nice canon of the events 300 years after KOTOR, right? Well from the cutscenes depict, it shows an era that is the one directly before the gameplay's start point, which really has my ears perked up. Who are these characters? What were they like before they became these people we interact with? Satele seems like a kind of strong willed woman and Malgus as well being a ****** with a code of honor despite being evil to the core. But sadly we only know so much from books and so forth. With reading gone all but to the wayside thanks to the advent of video games, it's clear many do not know anything about the Expanded Universe. What better way than to introduce it in a fresh way that hasn't (exactly) been done before?

Anime allows for exaggeration and great animation of things that games or American animation (sorry guys on Clone Wars!!!) as well as pacing that would be fantastic for stories like Star Wars. From intergalactic battles on such huge scales, but even more so on the personal battles between one's light and darkness. Metaphors common of many an anime. And with anime brings it a whole new audience. A lot of anime fans I've spoken to either casually know Star Wars or dislike it, and those that like it got into it through the KOTOR franchise, which is so far gone from the movies it's practically its own thing.

There have been rumblings for producers to do SOMETHING based in the Old Republic era, well, why not do it in a method that Star Wars (surprisingly) hasn't and bring in Japanese writers and artists and give them a spin at the wheels? With the gameplay giving us only windows and glimpses into the events prior to the game, there is tons of gap to be filled. It would be a great opportunity to further impress the Expanded Universe onto casual viewers and get a new audience to target as well as us who have been enraptured with the galaxy far, far, away.

Agree or Disagree? It's been a while since I've seen a fair and evenly weighed conversation on pros and cons. It'd be nice to see that. We're (mostly) adults here, right?

Edited by Timarick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

really? You seriously want to go there? *facepalm* Ah well, guess asking people to be mature on the internet is too high strung a concept.

Ok, since TCW is a bigger canon and continuity destroying travesty than anything Drew K or Karen T have ever thought of in their darkest reaches of their mind, I am not too excited about the idea of a new canon and continuity destroying television series, regardless of the animation stile.

Instead of an anime, commission Blur studios to do a full length feature of the same quality they did all the TOR cinematics.

C'mon, people have been calling for that kind of thing since Deceived first showed!

that would cost something like 170 million and take about 10 years

You don't know much about money, do you?

care to elaborate

they charge around a mill per min to make

and it takes them the same amount of time for them to make one of those 5min films as it does for a feature film to be made

the said it them selves it would cost to much and take to long so we wont be making feature length films

care to elaborate

they charge around a mill per min to make

and it takes them the same amount of time for them to make one of those 5min films as it does for a feature film to be made

the said it them selves it would cost to much and take to long so we wont be making feature length films

TOR, the biggest multi-media project in Star Wars history didn't even cost $150 million (this includes the three trailers from Blur), there's absolutely no way a 1.5 hour CGI feature film would cost more than this game took to make.

And a million dollars per minute? Are you ******** me? No one could get away with that business plan for animation.

TOR, the biggest multi-media project in Star Wars history didn't even cost $150 million (this includes the three trailers from Blur), there's absolutely no way a 1.5 hour CGI feature film would cost more than this game took to make.

And a million dollars per minute? Are you ******** me? No one could get away with that business plan for animation.

its estimated BW paid around 35 mill for the 16 min of animation blur has done for them

toy story 3 cost 200mill Running time 91 minutes

monsters inc 115 million Running time 92 minutes

bee movie $115 million Running time 91 minutes

shrek 4 $135–$165 million Running time 92 minutes

do some reserch before you run your mouth mate

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6m0CknwfA look at the processing power needed plus the talent need to make them then you understand why

EDIT 2: how could i forget avatar $237 million $9 million+ (re-release) 162 minutes 171 minutes (re-release)

Edited by liammozz

its estimated BW paid around 35 mill for the 16 min of animation blur has done for them

toy story 3 cost 200mill Running time 91 minutes

monsters inc 115 million Running time 92 minutes

bee movie $115 million Running time 91 minutes

shrek 4 $135–$165 million Running time 92 minutes

do some reserch before you run your mouth mate

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe6m0CknwfA look at the processing power needed plus the talent need to make them then you understand why

EDIT 2: how could i forget avatar $237 million $9 million+ (re-release) 162 minutes 171 minutes (re-release)

Unless they come out and SAY that they spent that money on animation, any speculation on how much it cost is absolutely useless. And as for Avatar, that was a three hour special effects/Live Action blend disaster.

Unless they come out and SAY that they spent that money on animation, any speculation on how much it cost is absolutely useless. And as for Avatar, that was a three hour special effects/Live Action blend disaster.

from all the prices i listed above 35mill sounds like a good estimate

where not talking about weather you like the film where talking about cost, lol funny guy nothing productive to say change the subject love it

from all the prices i listed above 35mill sounds like a good estimate

where not talking about weather you like the film where talking about cost, lol funny guy nothing productive to say change the subject love it

The length and difficulty of integrating live-action into CGI definitely effects how much its going to cost. My opinion on what the final product was is irrelevant, but I gave it anyway. And the Avatar numbers don't actually support your position, it was 2.85 hours long and didn't even reach 285 million. Your million per-minute numbers are wrong just from that.

Edited by Aximand

The length and difficulty of integrating live-action into CGI definitely effects how much its going to cost. My opinion on what the final product was is irrelevant, but I gave it anyway. And the Avatar numbers don't actually support your position, it was 2.85 hours long and didn't even reach 285 million. Your million per-minute numbers are wrong just from that.

all it shows is its more expensive to make a pure cgi film than it does to make a mixed live action/cgi film. do you even think before you type?

Edited by liammozz

all it shows is its more expensive to make a pure cgi film than it does to make a mixed live action/cgi film. do you even think before you type?

I was wrong on my Avatar numbers, I just realized that. You could be right about how much it would cost, but I highly doubt EA spent a third of TOR's budget on three trailers.

I was wrong on my Avatar numbers, I just realized that. You could be right about how much it would cost, but I highly doubt EA spent a third of TOR's budget on three trailers.

lol i got my numbers wrong too it cost more to do the mixed 1.4 mill a min or something close to that