People with Disabilities?

ziphii

Been unable to work sense I was 45 but disabled sense I was 20 in RL am now 57 and SW keeps me sane to some extent, it helps keep my thoughts good, I learn a lot . and look forward to playing it every day, even if its by myself, I raid when I want to, make my own raids, in fact which for me is a very good thing .

I'm happy and to me that's all that matters .

I will not let any one in game know I am . would rather no one does know . I won't even post my toon names here . :)

I'm glad a post like this was made .. I have to say after reading a FEW post here I wish I found this sooner , I feel wanted now because of this post.

TY

Edited by tanktest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Whilst i have not gotten any actual diagnosis, i am pretty sure i have both AD/HD and Autism in mild forms.

But back in my day they didnt even know what that was, so ive learned to cope.. sort of.

I didnt actually think about it myself until i started working as an assistant to a teenager with AD/HD. Had a talk with his psychiatrist and he figured i probably had that.

Oh and dyslexia, i have dyslexia too.

I would say OCD too, but i think most people have very mild forms of that. Personally mine are just small things like i cant leave a pen with its tip out and small things like that (yes, i get odd looks when i click other peoples pens)

EDIT: I forgot about depressions... i have a tendency for those too... but i only recently learned that after having a really severe one... but it turns out ive had them all my life, but i just figured it was normal that i had periods where i was down...

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Where to start...

I was born with mild cerebral palsy (CP) on my left side. With regard to gaming, playing games with WASD was all but impossible 20 years ago. I used a joystick whenever possible. But then Deus Ex did not support a joystick and configuring one to "virtually" press WASD did not work. So I forced myself to do WASD. I get hand cramps and have trouble reaching across the keyboard so in MMOs with lots of abilities (like SWTOR), I play with a hybrid key bind and mouse click style. The good news is that MMOs have greatly improved my typing speed :). When I first started typing (25+ years ago) it was 100% one handed; my left hand sat in my lap. I eventually moved it to the shift key and slowly it moved on to the keyboard more. I am no touch typist by any stretch, but I can type at 45-50 WPM.

I was diagnosed at age 11 with a "focal motor seizure disorder." similar to epilepsy except that instead of my entire body seizing, only my right arm and mouth are affected. Low refresh rate CRTs used to cause seizures. LCD monitors do not. I take medication to keep it under control.

I am a stutterer. Probably, in part, a side effect of my CP. Rushed communication via a VOIP system (ventrilo, mumble, teamspeak) is not possible. If I rush, I stutter. If I can take my time, I don't.

Edited by psandak

Where to start...

I was born with mild cerebral palsy (CP) on my left side. With regard to gaming, playing games with WASD was all but impossible 20 years ago. I used a joystick whenever possible. But then Deus Ex did not support a joystick and configuring one to "virtually" press WASD did not work. So I forced myself to do WASD. I get hand cramps and have trouble reaching across the keyboard so in MMOs with lots of abilities (like SWTOR), I play with a hybrid key bind and mouse click style. The good news is that MMOs have greatly improved my typing speed :). When I first started typing (25+ years ago) it was 100% one handed; my left hand sat in my lap. I eventually moved it to the shift key and slowly it moved on to the keyboard more. I am no touch typist by any stretch, but I can type at 45-50 WPM.

I was diagnosed at age 11 with a "focal motor seizure disorder." similar to epilepsy except that instead of my entire body seizing, only my right arm and mouth are affected. Low refresh rate CRTs used to cause seizures. LCD monitors do not. I take medication to keep it under control.

I am a stutterer. Probably, in part, a side effect of my CP. Rushed communication via a VOIP system (ventrilo, mumble, teamspeak) is not possible. If I rush, I stutter. If I can take my time, I don't.

I feel that these would be essential purchases for you:

http://gaming.logitech.com/sv-se/product/g13-advanced-gameboard

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga

I personally bought the G13 when it was discounted recently at a website i buy computer stuff from since i had started getting pains in my left wrist.

It has helped alot, and i bet it will help you even more.

I have bipolar disorder and post traumatic stress disorder, which I'm medicated and go to therapy for. Gaming, especially role playing, help me deal with the depressive periods of bipolar disorder better, and it has in the past prevented the lowest low. It helps me escape and gives me a stimulating outlet, which is very good for keeping my mood in check. Without constant stimulation (such as hard work, physical activity and gaming), I'm prone to very deep depression and anxiety.

And... although gaming doesn't help with it... I have terrible hearing. A genetic defect inherited from my father's side.

It's great to see that gaming helps people. Many would say it's taking away from quality of life, but it's clearly working out for a lot of us.

Edited by Gratulor

I feel that these would be essential purchases for you:

http://gaming.logitech.com/sv-se/product/g13-advanced-gameboard

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-naga

I personally bought the G13 when it was discounted recently at a website i buy computer stuff from since i had started getting pains in my left wrist.

It has helped alot, and i bet it will help you even more.

Thank you but the gameboard would actually hinder. My left hand simply does not sit in an ergonomic position...it gets uncomfortable quickly (leaving my left hand in any one place and/or position for a period of time either results in severe tremors or cramping). Further, I can only use four of the five fingers on my left hand (ring finger is the useless), and I can legitimately only use them two at a time (thumb/index [for alt+key commands], pinky/index [for shift+key or ctrl+key commands, and middle/index [for WASD movement - usually strafing and basic typing]); I might start out with my fingers in the right place but the second I start using that hand only two fingers work at any one time. Lastly, after 15+ years of gaming the way I do, training muscle memory again is not a simple task; it took me the majority of that time to get as good as I am.

The mouse would be nice, but I am not willing to spend $130+tax and/or shipping on a mouse. Even $100 is too much. $50 is my limit - I bought the Logitech G500 for $49.99 on sale at Best Buy. I had its predecessor before that.

Again thank you. It's the thought that counts :)

• 1 month later...

Well I broke my back when I was 12, so the scoliosis from that & occasional tightening up bother me a bit.

But I was recently diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia & schizotypy. In short, the former is an alternate perception of reality (the average number of images a person sees on the Rorschach Ink Blots is 20, I saw over 70) & a nervous, paranoid feeling, kind of a lack of motivation thing. With the perception difference, it also causes me to view things or believe in things that to me would seem obvious, but to most others it would be very strange. The latter is sort of an isolated anti-social type deal.

But! With SWTOR I get to live out Star Wars fantasies & connect with fun people. It's a nice distraction when I have down time. I recently took a break from SWTOR for a number of months, but I never unsubscribed! I kept my support up for this game 'cause I do love it so much.

So thanks everyone =]

• 3 weeks later...
I was a healthy, robust Welder/Ironworker, I had learned my trade the old school way by apprenticeship. :cool: Then one day, I was driving home and some guy (the police said he was speedballing [mixing metha-amphetamines and heroin]), hit me head-on doing 140 mph in a Trans-Am. :eek: I was 28 then, 48 now. Have been disabled since. :mad:Gaming is my window to the outside world and my only social outlet. It keeps me sane. ;)

Saw this thread so I figured I'd say hello and contribute.

I've been a severe asthmatic for over 28 years. I'm 28 years old and for most part of my early childhood for my was pure hell due to this disease. Once I hit 18 though it seemed to dampen down a bit but I still have asthma so I have problems once in awhile but not like before.

Hopefully they will find a cure for this disease and destroy it once and for all.

I have also have severe chronic sinusitis which adds to my problems with asthma. It all factors in.

I'm extremely strict with my maintenance routine with asthma because my mother used to be a respiratory therapist so I learned all from her about this problem and so anyone I know with asthma I try to explain everything I know about it to help them out.

One thing for anyone with asthma is if you EVER suspect you are having a full blown asthma attack, make sure you get to the hospital immediately.

DO NOT SECOND GUESS YOURSELF, PONDER ABOUT OR WAIT, GO TO THE HOSPITAL NOW! You have at the most 5-10 mins before your lungs cannot be reversed in the closing process, OTHERWISE YOU WILL DIE!

I'm not trying to scare anyone but I'm telling you the facts because I do not want to see anyone dead from this terrible disease.

Also try to remain calm if possible, it helps immensely for resisting tension in the lungs.

I hope my contribution helps anyone with this problem. Take care now!

- Wahl

Edited by Captain-Luke

• 9 years later...

I just found this thread and I just want to say hi! I have mild autism, ADHD, depression, anxiety disorder and major trust issues. I have unfortunately got used to my guilds and everytime I let my mask slip I get kicked from the guilds. So needless to say I don't trust easily. I would love to meet some players who have similar issues so we can talk about how much the normies suck. 

• Like 2