New Player Species?

Alexi_son

As Blattan mentioned, the Cathar will be the next species available to players. In our Q&As, we've seen several questions about the possibilities for new species, here's what Daniel Erickson has said about the selection process in the future:

There have already been numerous community voting threads about this though. It should be clear what species the fans want most. Species like Togruta and Nautolan were among the highest voted and those species already exist as npcs or companions.

I'm confused what pros and cons there really are. What were the pros and cons that decided on Cathar aside from the fact they are easy to put in the game from a development standpoint? What pros and cons does Togruta or Nautolan have that Cathar doesn't?

There are still a bunch of clipping bugs and issues for Twilek and alien companions so I find it hard to understand why new species are not being worked on rather than simply introducing Cathar as a standalone. Also you shouldn't use whatever metrics you get from Cathar such as number of people playing cathar or # of people who buy cathar from the cash shop as determining whether or not you put other species in the game because you can't simply compare the popularity and feasibility of one species to another.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well glad to see there's someone else that have the exact same interest in droids.

OMG I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!!

Droids have no free will.

We learn this from what happens in Zadd.

That in itself could make for a very interesting story. Your "programming" is determined by the conversation responses you select. Were you programmed to help out the mositure farmer, or kill them outright, and ultimately why were you programmed the way you are (possibly by whom also).

Already i'm seeing how this would work well in the themes of the existing storylines, although significant rewrites would be required for droid PCs.

things i can list thats never going to happen.

Wookiees.

Jawas

Ewoks

Droids

Trandos

Ithorians

Hutts

Anything that doesn't resemble Humans shape and size.

Why?

Cutscenes were made with a Human Shape with in the body shapes of 1-4 in mind. also no Wookiee jedi according to lucas.

Species like Biths, Mon Cals, Devion, Duros, Rodians, and such could be use.

BUT BUT Bowdarr is in cutscenes! SEE!

Yes, but he's in Cutscenes for the smuggler, which uses a Wookiee Companion, so the devs planned ahead. A wookiee is 7ft tall, So allot of the Syncing of cutscenes would have to be redone for it.

I'd like to chime in on my eagerness to play a droid character as well. They couldn't be Force users, but may have other new options that are droid only? The Light Side/Dark Side scale would have to be re-worked I think.

As to the question of droid sentience, the films and EU have shown lots of exceptional or special droids that are clearly sentient and have grown beyond their programming. Since player characters are be definition "exceptional" then being a sentient droid is easy.

The armor clipping is the main thing.

Only if you use really radical species, which I don't believe they would ever do. The Cathar, Devaronian, Togruta, Weequay, and Mon Cal are all player gear wearing (armor that shows) companions, and all those companions speak basic. Quezen Fess, a Trandoshan, also wears player gear, but doesn't speak basic.

There have already been numerous community voting threads about this though.

Also you shouldn't use whatever metrics you get from Cathar such as number of people playing cathar or # of people who buy cathar from the cash shop as determining whether or not you put other species in the game because you can't simply compare the popularity and feasibility of one species to another.

This and this. I want to play a Rodian, but I'd be happy to play a Devaronian, but I have no desire to play a Cathar.

Only if you use really radical species, which I don't believe they would ever do. The Cathar, Devaronian, Togruta, Weequay, and Mon Cal are all player gear wearing (armor that shows) companions, and all those companions speak basic. Quezen Fess, a Trandoshan, also wears player gear, but doesn't speak basic.

They could make it that way though, Bossk spoke basic in the Clone Wars (I don't agree with it, but Bioware could follow suit).

Actually, it could. Because there are many species that shouldn't be speaking in Galactic Basic. It could be argued the Twi'leks shouldn't be speaking in Galactic Basic.

Twi'leks are a very broad race who speak many languages including basic, there are many instances of them doing so.

As Blattan mentioned, the Cathar will be the next species available to players. In our Q&As, we've seen several questions about the possibilities for new species, here's what Daniel Erickson has said about the selection process in the future:

Quote:

We’d like to open the selection of future species to the community as a whole with clear positives and negatives provided for each selection. That way we can go a bit further afield in our species selection

Two questions: When? and does this mean no new species in the cash shop?

Twi'leks are a very broad race who speak many languages including basic, there are many instances of them doing so.

Yeah? And?

Let me guess, you saw "could be argued that they shouldn't," and read "I say they can't." So you thought you would point how wrong I was, and how much more clever you are?

Let me help you out. All I said was it could be argued. Not that that argument could be won, or that Twi'leks are incapable of speaking Basic.

Actually, it could. Because there are many species that shouldn't be speaking in Galactic Basic. It could be argued the Twi'leks shouldn't be speaking in Galactic Basic.

It could be, but the person arguing would be stupid and wrong. Nearly every race speaks basic. The only notables that CANT are jawas and most wookies and gamorreans/

• 1 year later...

Playable Species:

Bothans

Why are Bothans a feasible choice?:

With the introduction of the Bothan Character by the name of Fleet Admiral Bey’wan Aygo, the Developers have introduced a species that is known to speak basic and has a sufficiently humanoid form that could address the animation needs of the various Class Story Cut Scenes.

What could be a reason why Bothans wouldn't work?:

Granted, Bothans have distinguishable semi-long snouts, that could make Romance Scenes (more specifically, 'Kissing Scenes') a little difficult and require some tweaking. However, Developers were able to overcome a similar obstacle with the Cathar.

Playable Species:

Bothans

Why are Bothans a feasible choice?:

With the introduction of the Bothan Character by the name of Fleet Admiral Bey’wan Aygo, the Developers have introduced a species that is known to speak basic and has a sufficiently humanoid form that could address the animation needs of the various Class Story Cut Scenes.

What could be a reason why Bothans wouldn't work?:

Granted, Bothans have distinguishable semi-long snouts, that could make Romance Scenes (more specifically, 'Kissing Scenes') a little difficult and require some tweaking. However, Developers were able to overcome a similar obstacle with the Cathar.

Nice necro.

Anyways I don't think you're going to see alot of fan demand for Bothans.

As for face clipping, the Cathar's faces are flat like the rest of the available species, they don't protrude outwards.

I wont lie, Cathar is cool and all, but I would love the Kaleesh to be a species to play, and as an option you canhave up to 2 cybernetic body parts to resemble grevious, the arms would be perfect, if you make Cyber-Kaleesh, you can make a new advanced class specific to them, like using 4 lightsabers, but you only get droid parts in the arms

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=640602

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=479757

They have no desire to listen to the community. All they want is to look good and push one more humanoid irrelevant race that nobody wants, like the Voss.

IF they would REALLY want to listen and actually give the race that the most want, they could simply force by default no helmet shown and make everyone aware of it.

Edited by Styxx

I know this is a major necro thread but what Daniel Erickson said made a lot of sense but has been completely ignored with the species options. And if the disappointing talk of the Voss being the next playable species completely the opposite of more or interesting options.

Why has to design team gone so far from offering new and interesting species to only more humans with new colour options and funny eyes.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=640602

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=479757

They have no desire to listen to the community. All they want is to look good and push one more humanoid irrelevant race that nobody wants, like the Voss.

IF they would REALLY want to listen and actually give the race that the most want, they could simply force by default no helmet shown and make everyone aware of it.

using the voss is a poor example as there are many who do want to play as a Voss.

Anyway the problem is that making Voss a new race for players would be complete and utter lore-rape and would just work silly in game. All player toons are called as outsiders when they arrive at Voss. It's a terrible idea and I would not buy the Voss unlock at all. Edited by jankiel

Anyway the problem is that making Voss a new race for players would be complete and utter lore-rape and would just work silly in game. All player toons are called as outsiders when they arrive at Voss. It's a terrible idea and I would not buy the Voss unlock at all.

When leveling, there are a couple Voss NPCs on various planets. If I remember, I think one was in a class story as well.

You could still be an "outsider" based on this, that you are not really part of Voss society.

I never bought the Cather unlock, but would play a Voss character. I think they look cool, much better than almost all the current species options.

Would much rather pay MORE for the extra work that would be Togruta, though. They've generally been the most requested for a reason...

Edited by arunav

When leveling, there are a couple Voss NPCs on various planets. If I remember, I think one was in a class story as well.

You could still be an "outsider" based on this, that you are not really part of Voss society.

I never bought the Cather unlock, but would play a Voss character. I think they look cool, much better than almost all the current species options.

Would much rather pay MORE for the extra work that would be Togruta, though. They've generally been the most requested for a reason...

According to lore Voss was rediscovered about 4 years after the Treaty of Coruscant.

So what we had a Voss Sith who lived in the Empire even before the planet was rediscovered? Or Jedi in the Republic? Even before the planet was found? That doesn't make any sense.

All the Voss in this look the same. Blokes are blue with yellow, women are red with blue.

There's nothing to distinguish them aside from clothing so unless they pull some kind of a retcon on every Voss NPC in the game customisation options for a Voss player character would be sparse to say the least.

using the voss is a poor example as there are many who do want to play as a Voss.

Plenty, but not near top 3. That was the point I was trying to make. Also, back in the days, Cathar was never higher than 3rd place. They listened alright...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.