I'm a baaaad man, or at least a bad PvPer :-)

SweetOldBob

I was playing a tough ACW WZ with my trooper. Sides were very even, but we finally took mid. It was suddenly quiet, I looked around and there were five or more of us at mid, so I immediately tried to make my way to grass, because I thought the Imps would be doing a quick assault there.

But I misread the map and went to snow. It was only held by 1 defender, and I was able to cap.

A teammate immediately began spamming chat, swearing at me, saying I was lucky I capped because I was a dumb (expletive deleted). The imps came, I called incoming, and lost the node. I also was a little confused about the grief I was getting, so I asked just to be sure, was he on his tirade because I captured a node? And yes, he was.

The jerk and a friend of his continued to curse me, accuse me of costing them the game (they lost mid while they were busy not responding to my "incoming" call), etc.

This continued with PST and brooadcast chat on the fleet. I had a few choice words for them and eventually hit "ignore" for the pair.

Mentioned this to my grown son, an MMO veteran; he said "welcome to PvP". Of course he's right, but jeez...

I think the decision to reinforce the unseen node was sound; I freely admit that misreading the map was dumb, yet not to give myself too much slack, I'm going to make mistakes now and again. And I know that some people are jerks. But boy, I'm still really mad and a little depressed about the whole thing.

I was playing a tough ACW WZ with my trooper. Sides were very even, but we finally took mid. It was suddenly quiet, I looked around and there were five or more of us at mid, so I immediately tried to make my way to grass, because I thought the Imps would be doing a quick assault there.

But I misread the map and went to snow. It was only held by 1 defender, and I was able to cap.

A teammate immediately began spamming chat, swearing at me, saying I was lucky I capped because I was a dumb (expletive deleted). The imps came, I called incoming, and lost the node. I also was a little confused about the grief I was getting, so I asked just to be sure, was he on his tirade because I captured a node? And yes, he was.

The jerk and a friend of his continued to curse me, accuse me of costing them the game (they lost mid while they were busy not responding to my "incoming" call), etc.

This continued with PST and brooadcast chat on the fleet. I had a few choice words for them and eventually hit "ignore" for the pair.

Mentioned this to my grown son, an MMO veteran; he said "welcome to PvP". Of course he's right, but jeez...

I think the decision to reinforce the unseen node was sound; I freely admit that misreading the map was dumb, yet not to give myself too much slack, I'm going to make mistakes now and again. And I know that some people are jerks. But boy, I'm still really mad and a little depressed about the whole thing.

Well, you shouldn't have read the map wrong. But it happens, after you got Snow though and called incoming they shouldve went to you because the sides are easier to defend. Also, 1 person usually doesn't help too much if the team got killed to cap mid, though it might. I say you try to forget about it, and just keep playing and having fun, it happens

Rule of thumb: When you have 2 nodes captured already, just defend what you have. Going for the triple cap will more often than not end up badly. PUGs are just not coordinated enough most of the time to handle 2, much less 3.

Agreed. Honest to God, that was not my intent. Maybe the dude got so mad because he thought I was trying to be Rambo. I just wanted to hold what we had, but I turned left when I should have turned right.

In the end, it is just a game.

There are stupid people. Alive. Eating similar stuff, drinking similar stuff, breathing the same air, yet whatever kind of chemistry they got inside, it makes them dumb. Stupidity also goes marginally high when there is anonymity of the internet. For example, dumb people playing MMO would act much dumber than real life.

That said, it is rarely a good idea to go for tripple-cap. Initially it was a mistake on your end to read the map wrong, though it happens. But once you got the node, that makes up for more than defending, more than anything else really. If someone keeps nagging afterwards, it is their stupidity right there.

Don't get mad. Even if you hand the game to the opposing team, it is just a game. Nothing to get too serious about it or get upset about. But idiots will be idiots. Tell that to yourself, and don't get into a heated argument.

Based on what you wrote, they were definitely too rough on you, and you were right to ignore them.

However I agree with most others who say that it's normally a very bad idea to triple cap.

The reason why it's such a bad idea to triple cap is because you are spreading your forces way too thin. Because of this, the triple cap will often end up losing you the 2-1 advantage you had before, into a 1-2 disadvantage.

However there are of course always exceptions, such as if your team is significantly stronger and can control the game anyway you want. Also sometimes it can be a good idea to send over one person to keep the enemy occupied, since often one attacker will get the sole defender to call for reinforcements. And of course, if you are losing by a lot, eventually you will need the triple cap just for the chance to catch up.

Agreed. Honest to God, that was not my intent. Maybe the dude got so mad because he thought I was trying to be Rambo. I just wanted to hold what we had, but I turned left when I should have turned right.

if u went to snow instead of grass just run under and grab the speed buff u would have been to grass in 2-3 seconds? and yes that 1 person in mid would have helped. don't make excuses for bad play.

However I agree with most others who say that it's normally a very bad idea to triple cap.

It's never bad idea to cap. It might be bad idea to abandon node under attack or when you're lone defender to tripe cap. It might be bad idea to try to hold 3 nodes at same time. It is bad idea to aim at controling 3 nodes. But it certainly is bad idea to not cap node when you can.

"Oh look, there are no defenders alive(nor in stealth) on this node. But we already have 2, so I better leave it alone."

There are these little *****es sometimes.

If you actually capped the third point, that's a different matter from a failed assault or an attempt to distract the defenders (-_-), and they lost mid while you would have been gone anyhow to defend the other point.

Just got cussed by a sent in BM as well who managed to get only 44k in an entire match.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

It's never bad idea to cap.

I guess I will just have to very strongly disagree with that then. :) Often in PUGs it will just create chaos and confusion within your team when it's no longer clear for some people where to go what to do.

"Oh look, there are no defenders alive(nor in stealth) on this node. But we already have 2, so I better leave it alone."

As I clearly wrote, I know that there are exceptions, and I thought that some of the exceptions would have been too obvious for most normal people to even be worth mentioning, but sure. :)

It's never bad idea to cap. It might be bad idea to abandon node under attack or when you're lone defender to tripe cap. It might be bad idea to try to hold 3 nodes at same time. It is bad idea to aim at controling 3 nodes. But it certainly is bad idea to not cap node when you can.

the first thing people need to realize about alderaan wz...... if there is 1 person defending there is a 90% chance there is a stealth too.

if u went to snow instead of grass just run under and grab the speed buff u would have been to grass in 2-3 seconds? and yes that 1 person in mid would have helped. don't make excuses for bad play.

This.

It takes a good 10-15 seconds to get to a node AND you can see who holds it before you drop down or round the corner. Then seeing 1 there(which usually involves a stealth too) and continuing on like you didnt notice is definitely a noob move.

They may have been a lil harsh but I can understand their frustration. I can't count how many matches I've seen lost because some noob played Rambo at the 3rd node instead of helping defend. Whether he got it or not, despite popular belief 1 person can make a world of difference when defending. A couple of extra seconds for your teams respawn to get back could have won me more games than I could count.

Situational awareness. Get some. Please.

Edited by Entropicus

Yesterday I played a huttball match and we too were very evenly matched. With about 3 minutes left I had killed the ball carrier and ended up with the ball. Being a scoundrel (not the best ball carrier), and on the first ledge toward our own goal I thought it best to pass the ball. Unfortunately the guy I was passing to was expecting it and moved allowing the ball to get intercepted and the guy who caught it sprinted across both fire pits to our goal and scored...doh! I felt horrible and then this one guy started making really rude comments to me about being a noob 50 in recruit gear and how it must be my first huttball match ever (despite my other 50 toon who is just a few WH pieces shy of complete gear) . The guy was an $@@hole but it was just really rude and I felt bad enough as it is. He said if I was that experienced I would have known not to throw the ball where I was, really!!? Like this guy has NEVER made a mistake! it is so infuriating! !!! it's people like that who make me want to quit, but that is the wrong thing to do based on an Ahole.

This.

It takes a good 10-15 seconds to get to a node AND you can see who holds it before you drop down or round the corner. Then seeing 1 there(which usually involves a stealth too) and continuing on like you didnt notice is definitely a noob move.

They may have been a lil harsh but I can understand their frustration. I can't count how many matches I've seen lost because some noob played Rambo at the 3rd node instead of helping defend. Whether he got it or not, despite popular belief 1 person can make a world of difference when defending. A couple of extra seconds for your teams respawn to get back could have won me more games than I could count.

Situational awareness. Get some. Please.

Read his post, he was going over to the second point to defend because there was only 1 defending that. If they couldn't hold mid with 6, they wouldn't have held it anyway (or have lost the other point because there was only 1 there), because he wouldn't have been there when defending the side turret.

I agree with holding 2 and not storming off to rambo another turret, but the fact that he got the other turret and they lost mid while he wouldn't have been there anyway changes things.

Also, if I went mental every time someone tried to triple cap (usually to no effect, unlike this guy), I'd probably have to throw a temper every 2 warzones.

Your only major gaffe was to let what some random PvPer said to get you down. :) Cheer up. I actually ran the ball into the wrong end zone during a Huttball match as I was pulling wife aggro while playing. Thankfully I have a guild of mature players that understands and laughed it off. That's what people with perspective do, rather than stomping their feet out of the ops group at the end of a match. ;)

First off, I've not made any excuses, unless saying "I ****ed up and stupidly read the map wrong" is an excuse???

Second, whether I was at snow or grass, I would not be at mid. We lost the game because we lost mid, and this happened after I capped snow, I believe after I was killed, but before I finished the rez and could get to mid.

Even if I had not gone the wrong direction, I would not have been at mid; it might have been easier to get there in time to help, but that's not a sure thing. To my knowledge, nobody from my side came to help me at snow. Multiple imps showed up to kill me; I think I probably tied up more of them for a longer time by my brief stint at snow than I would have at mid.

Did I screw up? Guilty. Cost the game (by capping a node, for God's sake)?? That seems like quite a jump in reasoning. On reflection, I don't believe that a solo cap of snow hurt the defense of mid; 4 players not being able to hold mid long enough for reinforcements to get there had a lot more to do with it.

Edited by SweetOldBob
fix typo, "and" -> "had"

First off, I've not made any excuses, unless saying "I ****ed up and stupidly read the map wrong" is an excuse???

Second, whether I was at snow or grass, I would not be at mid. We lost the game because we lost mid, and this happened after I capped snow, I believe after I was killed, but before I finished the rez and could get to mid.

Even if I and not gone the wrong direction, I would not have been at mid; it might have been easier to get there in time to help, but that's not a sure thing. To my knowledge, nobody from my side came to help me. Multiple imps showed up to kill me; I think I probably tied up more of them for a longer time by my brief stint at snow than I would have at mid.

Did I screw up? Guilty. Cost the game (by capping a node, for God's sake)?? That seems like quite a jump in reasoning. On reflection, I don't believe that a solo cap of snow hurt the defense of mid; 4 players not being able to hold mid long enough for reinforcements to get there had a lot more to do with it.

yes it was a mistake. EVERYONE has made them. i don't expect people to play perfect, but when u realized u went the wrong way you should have went underneath to your side or back around to mid. that 1 interrupt while your team was on their way back is all it takes sometimes to hold a turret. its easy to defend. its very hard to cap down 2-1.

Edited by Slicktime

yes it was a mistake. EVERYONE has made them. i don't expect people to play perfect, but when u realized u went the wrong way you should have went underneath to your side or back around to mid. that 1 interrupt while your team was on their way back is all it takes sometimes to hold a turret. its easy to defend. its very hard to cap down 2-1.

You are right. Heading to grass would have a better response than engaging the lone defender at snow. Sticking it out with the wrong turn was a much bigger mistake than heading the wrong way in the first place.

[EDIT]

Not making an excuse but just saying -- the synapses didn't click for me like I wish they had. :(

Edited by SweetOldBob
aded an emoticon

Even if I had not gone the wrong direction, I would not have been at mid

Why not? A lot of this thread has been focused on you running in the wrong direction, but that was the second mistake you did. The first was when you decided to run anywhere at all before properly assessing at the situation.

You wrote that you decided to go to your side turret because there were no enemies mid, and five or more of your team mid.

Did you know how many friendles there were side? Could easily have been two or more based on what you wrote.

What if mid had no enemies because the enemy was regrouping in order to not run in one by one and get slaughtered?

What if other people on your team thought the same as you: "there's no one here so I guess I'll just run to our side turret".

Instead of running, first check what the situation at side is. A good place to do this is if you stand just to the right of where the path from mid to side starts, if you move your camera to the correct position you can see perfectly. Note that if you stand in the wrong place you won't be able to see nametags, probably a bug. From here you can see both side, and mid if you turn around, and it is a good place to be if the situation at mid seems to temporarily be under control.

I hope that my post doesn't come off too negatively, I don't mean it like that, just trying to give some tips. :)

Edited by Rassuro

...A lot of this thread has been focused on you running in the wrong direction, but that was the second mistake you did. The first was when you decided to run anywhere at all before properly assessing at the situation.

I was in a PuG, no vent. We capped, and it was quiet, with no Imps visibly on the way in. And there was a crowd of us at mid.

I'll leave mid and try to get to our ligthly defended turret every time this happens, unless others beat me to it.

(If I see a stampede following me and mid being left under-defended, then I'll turn back; I frequently announce what I'm doing e.g., "heading to grass", in hopes of precluding the stampede thing.)

There's a difference between assessing the situation (which I did: everything was clear, there were lots of defenders), and predicting what the enemy will do (I expected them to hit our side turret hard, but we don't really know; we have to be ready for a zerg to either asset.)

If you thing leaving mid was a mistake, we'll juist have to agree to disagree. Or you could come around to the side of reason. :D

Tactical blunders happen to everybody. Brain farts happen to everybody. Even the best. Assuming you aren't just not telling something, the loss wasn't your fault. It COULDN'T have been your fault. I've been at nodes with 4 other people defending against an attack. You know what usually happens against a decent team? I eventually die, and while I'm on my way back, they cap the node. If the team was decent, they could have held out longer, OR, adapted since hey, we still have two nodes. That's just a matter of people wanting to push their failures off on others.

What you have to realize is that there are a lot of people invested in thinking they're king **** at pvp, in a game with honestly fairly subpar pvp (not to say it isn't fun, just that there's a lot wrong with it). In order to show the world how amazing they are, they have to tear you (and everyone else) down, and act as condescending as possible, at any opportunity. This happens on the forums, and during games where your team is getting smashed by a far better opposition. After all, THEY are pretty much God, so it can't be their fault, right?

Learn from what mistakes you did make, and brush off the exaggerated vitriol. Ultimately, it will never matter anyway.

I There's a difference between assessing the situation (which I did: everything was clear, there were lots of defenders), and predicting what the enemy will do (I expected them to hit our side turret hard, but we don't really know; we have to be ready for a zerg to either asset.)

You started assessing the situation, and then you left it half done.

Once again, if you had just looked instead of ran, you would have been able to see whether the enemy was going to hit the side turret hard or not.

Instead you just looked at the area were you were standing and then made a wrong call based on only the limited facts you had.

Could a stealther or two still have gone without you seeing? Yes, but once again you had no idea on how many of your team were already there to deal with that because you didn't properly assess the situation.

One of the great things about PVP is that you need to be able to quickly react to different changing situations. It does not work to say "every time I see this happen right in front of my nose, I will always respond by doing this".

If you thing leaving mid was a mistake, we'll juist have to agree to disagree.

We definitely will strongly disagree then. :)

Here are the cold hard facts: You were at mid, you left mid, you lost mid.

If you don't see that leaving mid was a wrong decision, and that you could have prevented that wrong decision by properly assessing the situation, then I can't help you.

I'll leave this here, have a nice day. :)

Edited by Rassuro