Are they saying the only content we will get from now on is Ops, Warzones and FPs?

Leggomy

First, I think it was a poorly worded answer from the devs. We already know that there will be new planets like Makeb and lvl increases in future which would imply more class quests and what-not.

Second, if you don't pvp or raid what exactly do you like to do in this game?

The multiple story content is for each class is unique. Pvp and ops are exactly the same and do not have any variations. They get repetitive, if you do not agree then you are special. The amount of people leaving this game says otherwise.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if he's telling the truth, that would be really good news. I know better than to get my hopes up too high, though.

That video was before multiple high level people got fired. Also before the f2p announcement. So Id take it with a grain of salt.

Paying a sub should mean that you have access to all content, but it's not guarenteed forever to be that way.

The cost issue is a bit misleading too - as to be viable most F2P/Cashshop games aim to be getting ~$15 per month off their average Cashshop customers (which is the same as a sub - obviously some pay more some pay less).

It's pretty clear from reading what they have said so far that you have full game content acces via subscription. Non-subs will have to buy coins to purchase access to content items in an a-la-carte manner.

It's also pretty clear from reading what they have said so far that subscriptions will include a coin allowance each billing cycle.

Items in the cash shop above and beyond regular content releases via patches, are available for purchase by either subs or non-subs. Example (per info released so far): moddable gear, which in no way provides any P2W that everyone is so paranoid about, but it does offer cosmetic gear updates for people that are into that sort of thing. Subs, being given coins each month as part of their subscription can use their accumualated coins to purchase said items and NEVER ever have to actually buy coins from EA.

Edited by Andryah

Well I dont know about that. Maybe for now but any new content that includes a level cap increase etc most likely will cost us. In LOTRO the new stuff isnt free. In fact the new Rohan CE costs $80 and you dont even get a box.

Paid expansion content for Freemium games is pretty standard, as a component to the life cylce of the MMO. Everyone has to buy this, though some Feemium games make it so their subscribers (who collect in game cash as part of their subs) can purchase the expansion in the cash shop.

Free expansion content on the other hand, is by definition free, as a component to the life cycle of the MMO. Subs get it, non-subs probably have to purchase a lot of it.

Freemium MMOs do both as part of the total life cycle of the game.

Then we have on top of all of that, the cash shop, which monetizes full access a-la-carte to nonsubs and also offers both subs and nonsubs access to vanity and fluff items for players that like that kind of stuff. I'm sure they will also offer some special quality of life items (which are not P2W by any reasonable standard) for both subs and non-subs too, just like other Freemiums do.

So I really don't know what you are on about here. You are an LoTRO veteran, so you know how this stuff works. I do not understand why you are conflating it on pure speculation on your part.

Edited by Andryah

That video was before multiple high level people got fired. Also before the f2p announcement. So Id take it with a grain of salt.

You might want to rethink that statement before I find the quotes that will prove everything you just said wrong.

Thats quotes from EA and Bioware FYI, and its quotes made after this video.

And yet a large list of content has been promised for this year, including things like Makeb.

I figure they have given earlier schedules about two major update patches this year. Even if F2p will count as one of them (which it might not, it may patch in on it's own), that's two update patches (call them 1.4 and 1.5) that will probably have new content.

Anyway, to answer the OP they have also promised at least one new world (Makeb), one new race (Cathar), a new companion with quest(s) to go recruit him (HK-51) along with the zones you mentioned. I honestly do expect to see all of that, even with f2p also patching in sometime before the end of the year this year sometime, or at very worst by let's say March 2013. Again IMO much before that.

Like I said, it will keep someone entertained for a few days to a few weeks. Makeb, the planet, will only keep someone occupied for a few days. Look at the planets we have now... how long do they take the average gamer? A new raid will occupy people for about a month before they want more. Especially ones that only have 4 bosses.

You might want to rethink that statement before I find the quotes that will prove everything you just said wrong.

Thats quotes from EA and Bioware FYI, and its quotes made after this video.

I dont understand what you mean. The video was made at E3 which was before the f2p announcement. I dont understand what exactly you plan to prove wrong. Are you saying E3 was after the f2p announcement?

Paid expansion content for Freemium games is pretty standard, as a component to the life cylce of the MMO. Everyone has to buy this, though some Feemium games make it so their subscribers (who collect in game cash as part of their subs) can purchase the expansion in the cash shop.

Free expansion content on the other hand, is by definition free, as a component to the life cycle of the MMO. Subs get it, non-subs probably have to purchase a lot of it.

Freemium MMOs do both as part of the total life cycle of the game.

Then we have on top of all of that, the cash shop, which monetizes full access a-la-carte to nonsubs and also offers both subs and nonsubs access to vanity and fluff items for players that like that kind of stuff. I'm sure they will also offer some special quality of life items (which are not P2W by any reasonable standard) for both subs and non-subs too, just like other Freemiums do.

So I really don't know what you are on about here. You are an LoTRO veteran, so you know how this stuff works. I do not understand why you are conflating it on pure speculation on your part.

So you are telling me in LOTRO you can get the relic removal scrolls for free somehow without using the store? Fact is the new content coming with Rohan costs money. Just like new content in this game will cost money. Otherwise whats the point in putting out new content? We got tons of new content before the f2p switch. After we got less and less. Rohan looks big but it has no raid cluster coming with it. The new cluster was going to cost extra on top of the expansion cost.

So I guess I have to ask you what does what you are talking about have to do with my thread? This is not lotro it is not even the same type of thing. You cannot earn coins in the game for example. What does all this have to do with anything I was talking about?

I dont understand what you mean. The video was made at E3 which was before the f2p announcement. I dont understand what exactly you plan to prove wrong. Are you saying E3 was after the f2p announcement?

I am trying to find the post but maybe someone can help if they know where it is.

It basically was a question about how we can expect more content with the layoffs and their answer was that the layoff (including the recent ones) were all part of their reorgization.

Basically what they are saying is that since the first layoffs in may everything in the game is being worked on with the knowlede that there will be more layoffs later on.

To translate for you. They were planning these second sets of layoffs so there would be no reason to believe that they would start something and then have to stop it because more people were laid off. If that was the case then they would not have been planned layoffs. The people they would have waited to lay off would have been people working on things they wanted finish and would lay them off after they finished. They would not have continued to let them work on something and then lay them off before they finished it or else they would have laid them off in may instead.

I will try and find the psot those but if someone finds it please post it.

So you are telling me in LOTRO you can get the relic removal scrolls for free somehow without using the store? Fact is the new content coming with Rohan costs money. Just like new content in this game will cost money. Otherwise whats the point in putting out new content? We got tons of new content before the f2p switch. After we got less and less. Rohan looks big but it has no raid cluster coming with it. The new cluster was going to cost extra on top of the expansion cost.

So I guess I have to ask you what does what you are talking about have to do with my thread? This is not lotro it is not even the same type of thing. You cannot earn coins in the game for example. What does all this have to do with anything I was talking about?

F2P should be to get the players hooked so that they pay a monthly sub. F2P should not be used to make freemiums pay over 15 bucks and also make subs pay addition money.

Give the F2P players enough content that they have fun but not everything. That way they want to sub to see it. Dont try to take everyones money without them realizing it because it will just lead to more people quitting.

Where are people getting the idea that I'm talking about way down the road? Nobody can predict where this game is going to be way down the road.

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

That chart has BioWare themselves telling you how it's going to work. Since it's their game, I'll listen to their chart.

Aye, but looking at the logistics of F2P/cashshop and the history of game that have gone F2P/Cashshop (and indeed the history of WAR, run by Bioware EA at the time, which was sub with cashshop), it's probably the more likely eventual outcome. :(

What sub based game lets you have all the content for free and has never charged for any expansions? It is logical they would want people who already pay a sub to also buy things from the store. It makes no sense to say "Lets not put anything on there subs would want.". They want subs to also buy coins.

That's the thing.

Not only do "they" (the usual MMO cashshop company) want their average "F2P" customer to be spending ~$15 a month in the cashshop (same as a sub).

But also they do still want Cashshop stuff to be attractive to subs payers (or VIP payers in games like LOTROs case).

It's pretty clear from reading what they have said so far that you have full game content acces via subscription. Non-subs will have to buy coins to purchase access to content items in an a-la-carte manner.

It's also pretty clear from reading what they have said so far that subscriptions will include a coin allowance each billing cycle.

Items in the cash shop above and beyond regular content releases via patches, are available for purchase by either subs or non-subs. Example (per info released so far): moddable gear, which in no way provides any P2W that everyone is so paranoid about, but it does offer cosmetic gear updates for people that are into that sort of thing. Subs, being given coins each month as part of their subscription can use their accumualated coins to purchase said items and NEVER ever have to actually buy coins from EA.

Access to all current game content, yes (currently - but subject to change).

But that's not the same thing as you are saying.

They haven't said at all that they will never sell any sort of content to subscribers via cartel coins (which isn't just talking about any expansions etc.).

I am trying to find the post but maybe someone can help if they know where it is.

It basically was a question about how we can expect more content with the layoffs and their answer was that the layoff (including the recent ones) were all part of their reorgization.

Ya I mean EA isnt upset at all with the way SWTOR is going. All these layoffs and the removal of the manager of BW Austin less than a yr into the game was all planned well ahead of time. :rolleyes:

F2P should be to get the players hooked so that they pay a monthly sub. F2P should not be used to make freemiums pay over 15 bucks and also make subs pay addition money.

Give the F2P players enough content that they have fun but not everything. That way they want to sub to see it. Dont try to take everyones money without them realizing it because it will just lead to more people quitting.

Thats your opinion. They want to make money off subs and off the store. If they dont put anything subs would want thats a huge market they are ignoring. I know I plan on keeping my sub and I want stuff to spend my points on. If they have nothing for subs what is the point of the store? Wow the entitlement over a whole $15 on these forums is amazing.

That's the thing.

Not only do "they" (the usual MMO cashshop company) want their average "F2P" customer to be spending ~$15 a month in the cashshop (same as a sub).

But also they do still want Cashshop stuff to be attractive to subs payers (or VIP payers in games like LOTROs case).

So you are saying Bioware wants to make a lot of money? Shocking!

Actually it works cause the players don't want to pay for monthly sub, instead they buy the content from the cashshop.. which ends up costing MORE than paying for monthly sub. This is why F2P works.

Actually it works cause the players don't want to pay for monthly sub, instead they buy the content from the cashshop.. which ends up costing MORE than paying for monthly sub. This is why F2P works.

Also you get subs who pay the $15 plus more money (according to studies an average of $5 a month more which is 1/3 of the sub fee and substantial).

It says they plan on releasing more content. Then it says ops wzs flashpoints. So we wont be seeing any more class story quests? What about new planets? From the QA it sounds like that stuff is not even being planned. I dont raid and I dont pvp. So basically this is telling me to uninstall?

I'd take that "commitment" with a bus-sized grain of salt. How many times have they promised to deliver that type of content? How many times have they actually delivered it?

I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday for a hamburger today. :rolleyes:

Also even if there are people who are complete cheapskates and dont pay for anything, they still boost server numbers and make the game look more populated. Its a win-win.

Just like giving away free gasoline would make the gas stations look more busy. Or giving away free clothes, shoes, and electronics would make the malls look more busy. Win-Win! YAAARRRRRRR! :eek: