class story weak point of swtor ?

Petnil

i like class story, but i wonder if that might be the weak point of swtor. An example. In some contentpatch we get a nice classquestline worth 30-60min game play that ends up in a small FP where you fight agains some trash and end up fighting a boss.

That has to be done for all classes. Instead we could have gotten 4 non class questlines = 4 times as much gameplay. Or if only 1 quest line then some daily quests too and maybe even a bit of fluff.

That just made me think maybe class story is the weak point of swtor. Maybe it´s a strong point too, but it clearly have it´s weaknesses.

So, What would you prefer, 1 classquestline worth 30-60 min, or 4 questlines each worth 30-60 min ?

i played through the JK, SW, Smuggler, Jedi Consular. And the SW was the best so far. But the stroy wasn't better than any mediocore offlinee rpg as far as I'm concerned. It was a good mix between fps wzs and story. So lvling was better than in other mmos. But the story alone isn't that great.

To answer your specific question^^:

It small content one way or the other. But a new lvl 50 only class quest planet would have benn nice by the time now.

Edited by Geryboy

I like the storyline, just wish i did not have to grind out all the side quests and warzones to keep up.

I really wanted to just push through the storyline and then by at max level, that would be epic and super comfortable. Plus all the classes would seem different, now i get bored by the time leave the origin planet and i am ready to reroll.

ALso if the story quests pushed you to max level then all the side quests could have been level 50 content, all repeatable. Would be nice to have a reason to return to those planets.

Edited by kirorx

i like the story and class quests. But giving the time it takes to make 1 quest for each class is 4 times as long as it would take to just make 1 quest for all classes it might end up as the weak point of this game.

I think the game would have been stronger with shorter classquestline while leveling. add more normal quests to compensate. Then add some daily classquests to open when you complete chapter 3. Lets face it, when class story ends the game miss something.

i like the story and class quests. But giving the time it takes to make 1 quest for each class is 4 times as long as it would take to just make 1 quest for all classes it might end up as the weak point of this game.

I think the game would have been stronger with shorter classquestline while leveling. add more normal quests to compensate. Then add some daily classquests to open when you complete chapter 3. Lets face it, when class story ends the game miss something.

I agree. My trooper story was fun but when it was over the game really turned into a gear grind at lvl 50. Now all I do is look for faster ways to get BH Coms or RWZ coms. It's alot like work!!

It will become a weak point once F2P rolls out.

Why you ask ?

Because people will plow through the character story and when they are done they have seen the best part of the game. And when they have done that for a few characters they will quit, no one will pay money for the crappy ops or the lackluster pvp.

Edited by HammersteinSW

I dont believe the class story is weakest, the problem I have after levelling 6 chars to 50 is you have 1 main class story arc for each planet which consists of about 4 missions, all the others on the planet have to be repeated by all my alts with no differences and maybe the slight change in conversation options. If the idea is to level alts and get max legacy with all its bells and whistles then they should have spent more time making the storylines for normal planets more diverse instead 90% of content is repeated no matter what class you are on, thats tedious.

i like class story, but i wonder if that might be the weak point of swtor. An example. In some contentpatch we get a nice classquestline worth 30-60min game play that ends up in a small FP where you fight agains some trash and end up fighting a boss.

That has to be done for all classes. Instead we could have gotten 4 non class questlines = 4 times as much gameplay. Or if only 1 quest line then some daily quests too and maybe even a bit of fluff.

That just made me think maybe class story is the weak point of swtor. Maybe it´s a strong point too, but it clearly have it´s weaknesses.

So, What would you prefer, 1 classquestline worth 30-60 min, or 4 questlines each worth 30-60 min ?

I like the class stories. But given the amount of other basic MMO features that were lacking at launch, I think it could have been scaled down a bit. The bottom line is, MMOs are about progression. Class stories were more about a single player experience.

The quality of the class stories varies wildly with only a few ones worth experiencing like Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight.The rest range from meh to terrible. Take it from one who has experienced almost all the classes' storylines to 50.

So it depends on which class you picked up.

Edited by corebit

The quality of the class stories varies wildly with only a few ones worth experiencing like Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight.The rest range from meh to terrible. Take it from one who has experienced almost all the classes' storylines to 50.

So it depends on which class you picked up.

Quick question for you, and this isn't meant as a flame. But in your sig it says your account was cancelled on 7/31, so you obviously want everyone to know about it. Why are you still here?

Why you ask ?

Because people will plow through the character story and when they are done they have seen the best part of the game. And when they have done that for a few characters they will quit, no one will pay money for the crappy ops or the lackluster pvp.

^ agree and have unsubscribbed for the second time because of it. Will probably be back when makeb rolls through.

Ops are attempts at copying raiding, a feature that is not the main focus of the game but if former wow fans have their way it will be. Star Wars fans and KOTOR fans are not looking for ops.

PVP was fine until they added war hero and got rid of ilum world pvp. Now it is less varied, and nothing but a straight grind for coms. It is fine with one toon but doing the exact same grind with different toons is monotonous.

i just think that the amount of work required to make classquests compared to normal quests makes the strong class stories a dualedged sword. Yes the class story is the strong point of swtor, but it is imo also the weak point.

The class story is great, it is the backbone of the game and gives one of the most enjoyable levelling experiences.

The problem is that it spoils you, once the story is over you get dumped into traditional dailies to gear up to do Ops and HMs. If they had just done away with the dailies and simply added a class quest (with a high difficulty) that after completing it left you with a full suit of base purple armour to start with it would have been no disappointment.

The level 50 FPs could give the next tier, then 3 tiers of Ops to reach the top, the let down is that HMs give the same as Ops kit wise and HM Ops are copies of story mode. They should have released more Ops in the beginning (say 2 at each teir) with no HMs just simply that the Ops get progressively harder and give different tiers of drops.

1 time only quests gives players less time played than repeatable content. And when it´s classquests it gives 1 of 4/8 classes more content instead of all classes. This i feel is one of the reasons swtor is missing content.

Would i have preferred swtor without classquests ??

Well. maybe. If no classquests ment there would have been pazak and podrace and moistfarming and nerfherding and sitting on chairs in bars and drinking and eating and chatbupples and i´m sure you can add a few more. then maybe i would. Ofc noone will prefer swtor without classquests if you put nothing instead of it.

I think it is a weak point, in fact I think it was a trap that will eventually kill the game if it hasn't already. The problem is this game is like 80% story, its the "Crown Jewels" as EP says after that, the game really is kind of mediocre. Here are some points:

1) It was extremely expensive (educated guess) to build and probably the most time consuming.

2) It pigeon holes you if you want to add new races/classes, now you have to hire voice actors and build all those cut scenes, not once but 4 times (for each mirror and both AC).

3) The story are so engaging that it makes everything not story seem like grinding.

4) The story makes the game feel much more pve related than pvp related, alienating the pvp community.

5) In the F2P model they are almost forced to give the best part of the game away for free in order to hook players into subbing, but you are subbing for things that are not the story. The only way to change that is to micro-transaction the story modes (buy sub stories?) they can't do something like that with "regular content updates"

I could go on, but hose are just some quick points. See on one hand it was just brilliant and engaging and made the game feel immersible, but on the other it locked them into an unsustainable venture. How are they going to add xpacs without massive time and investment into the story? In the end, after you have had enough of stories, the game just gets boring.

That's an opinion piece so don't take it as anything other.

I think it is a weak point, in fact I think it was a trap that will eventually kill the game if it hasn't already. The problem is this game is like 80% story, its the "Crown Jewels" as EP says after that, the game really is kind of mediocre. .

I don't see that as a problem, I bought the game because I wanted to play a RPGMMO and this game successfully pulled that off from 1 to 50, if I just wanted to play an MMO there are enough to choose from I was looking for the game that put the RPG back into RPGMMO.

I see the weak points of the game the fact that they dropped the RPG and went back to MMO content after 50. I would have much preferred longer quests a lot less XP when levelling so that it took much longer and the Operations spread out from level 20 every 10 levels until 50. There was absolutely no multigroup content below 50 other than world bosses.

A scenario where only those that played 15 hours a day could reach cap before an expansion came out and the cap went up, perpetually being 10 to 15 levels under the cap but having raid content available for your specific level.

Why you ask ?

Strongly disagree.

The % of people staying and paying at least some parts of the game will be the same as now among new players.

No reason for it to change. Some will like it, some other wont.

But as the population will be hugely increased because of the F2P (my bet x2, x3 ...) a lot more will stay.

Coupled with the new content they'll put in the game (from their latest dev schedule) we can expect a boom in population and a rather stable one in the long term.

For me the class-story is the greatest part of the game :p I have enjoyed those two that I have lvl:ed to 50 (JK and Smuggler) immensely and like my little Sith Warrior very much. Just having such a different feeling with the different stories, voices. Different strokes for different folks of course, as always. My vote would always be on having as much as possible tied to the class so I would have something new to discover. But that is simply because it would suit me.

Class Stories are awesome, I only dislike doing all those side quests to finally continue with my Story.

Getting less XP would even make this worse and I'd be terribly bored. I wouldn't even need XP and Levels, Story would be enough for me.

I like the PVP, but that's becoming a grind fest, too.