Illum, huh?

Matmaster

So I hit lvl 50 the other day, and went to Illum to see if it was any fun. First time, no one was there. Ok, I'll come back another time. I came back a few more times and still no one was there. I even took over the entire area myself hoping someone would show up. Now here's the question: why does no one show up to world pvp there. The answer: there's no reason. the majority of people don't want to world pvp just for the hell of it, they need a reason to do it over Warzones. Illum has nothing. Since they removed dailies from Illum, the popularity of Illum plumeted in a downward spiral. Now what do they need to do? They need to add something. Perhaps a raid, or a much larger pvp commedation bonus. Hell, even put the dailies back. The reason it was so choppy before was not the dailies, it was the games engine. Removing the dailies was simply Bioware taking the lazy way out of fixing the game's engine so it wouldn't be overly choppy.

Simply stated: Bioware needs to get off their asses and work on something that players can enjoy for a while. Only thing there is to do now is Flashpoints, Warzones, and Dailies which will become repetitive very quickly and people will become bored of.

The question is often brought up as to why SWtOR is losing subscribers. It's because there is hardly any variety to any other game. It's the same old stuff. Bioware needs to pick it up and do something new with the game.

So I hit lvl 50 the other day, and went to Illum to see if it was any fun. First time, no one was there. Ok, I'll come back another time. I came back a few more times and still no one was there. I even took over the entire area myself hoping someone would show up. Now here's the question: why does no one show up to world pvp there. The answer: there's no reason. the majority of people don't want to world pvp just for the hell of it, they need a reason to do it over Warzones. Illum has nothing. Since they removed dailies from Illum, the popularity of Illum plumeted in a downward spiral. Now what do they need to do? They need to add something. Perhaps a raid, or a much larger pvp commedation bonus. Hell, even put the dailies back. The reason it was so choppy before was not the dailies, it was the games engine. Removing the dailies was simply Bioware taking the lazy way out of fixing the game's engine so it wouldn't be overly choppy.

Simply stated: Bioware needs to get off their asses and work on something that players can enjoy for a while. Only thing there is to do now is Flashpoints, Warzones, and Dailies which will become repetitive very quickly and people will become bored of.

The question is often brought up as to why SWtOR is losing subscribers. It's because there is hardly any variety to any other game. It's the same old stuff. Bioware needs to pick it up and do something new with the game.

Im on a pve server and I find OWPVP fights all the time. Granted they aren't huge scale fights. But I stay flagged and run around Imp side of Black Hole, Ilum And Belsavis daily areas. So I know this can be done on an actual pvp server.

Im on a pve server and I find OWPVP fights all the time. Granted they aren't huge scale fights. But I stay flagged and run around Imp side of Black Hole, Ilum And Belsavis daily areas. So I know this can be done on an actual pvp server.

I like the black hole area as well. Some good PvP fights there

I like the black hole area as well. Some good PvP fights there

huhmm your missing the point here. The OP is basically saying, people don't want to open world PVP just for the hell of it !, they want some kind of reward in other words.. as it is right now, you really get zero 'nothing' but some kind of sadistic pleasure from killing enemy players right now.

Rewards for Open World PVP, couldn't ever work anyway, the game as it is, is easily abused, and is open to being exploited. Its partly why they gave up on Ilum, because of the valor farming and trade killing going on. But there is, I agree some kind of alternative to this, which might be more fun, and similar to raids, but on a PVP scale. Who knows..?! :)

Ilum while it was fun in small scale (kind of) could never handle the "epic open world pvp" that it was sold as. It turned into a slide show for the majority of the players as soon as you had 40+ people on your screen.

Only reason to go into the pvp area now is for the valor buff.

well the whole thing was a zerg anyway, and a lot of people had problems with lag because of the amount of players AND effects all going on at the same time on their screens. I think Ilum dailies were a failure for a lot of reasons, and eventually they just gave up on the idea. They need to really go back to the drawing board on Open world PVP as well while there at it.

well the whole thing was a zerg anyway

I rerolled republic just to take out people in central playing mario kart for crates. There was a lot of fun to be had there, it was a game called how many can we kill before we piss off the hornets nest. More should have played.

I hit battlemaster back when Battlemaster meant something. I had to spend hours on ilum getting 20 valor a kill since we were out weighed heavily by imps. But I miss Ilum so much! I can remember having our whole guild out there (30-40ish players) and someone sneaking up to the turret and mowing down about 20+ imps so fast! The valor would just scroll on the screen/chat. It made getting up in groups and roaming around so much fun.

Please bring world PVP back. :D

I honestly never had it THAT bad on ilum.. I mean yeah sometimes it would lag up, but nevre game breaking lag. Who knows maybe BW can do a optimization tweak so a special area and set it so for just open world PVP. With Valor, buffs, etc some sort of daily and weekly that isn't too grindy.

Ya they took out Ilum a while back. We are all eagerly awaiting its return. Unfortunately not a single word has been spoken about it is a LONG time. I for one am hoping they say something about it at the next Gamescon or whatever is coming up soon.

Who needs world PvP? We have ranked WZs!!!! /rolleyes

I miss Wintergrasp.

They could have done Ilum so much better.

Ranked PvP isn't for everyone, but we all know how fun zerg PvP is tho right?

Ya they took out Ilum a while back. We are all eagerly awaiting its return. Unfortunately not a single word has been spoken about it is a LONG time. I for one am hoping they say something about it at the next Gamescon or whatever is coming up soon.

They never "took out" Ilum, it's still there, and anyone "eagerly" wanting to go there can.

They should just instance illum, everything else is anyway. Maybe allow 20 V. 20 or 15 v. 15? They could turn the bases into sieges and give comms as rewards. Wouldn't quite be open world seeing it would be instanced but it would be close.

I honestly never had it THAT bad on ilum.. I mean yeah sometimes it would lag up, but nevre game breaking lag. Who knows maybe BW can do a optimization tweak so a special area and set it so for just open world PVP. With Valor, buffs, etc some sort of daily and weekly that isn't too grindy.

When you had near 300 people in an area and the global announcements for point control displayed it was definitely game breaking lag. The global announcements in general seemed to lag the server severely.

I would think it's safe to say that Makeb is the new Ilum.

The said long ago in the guild summit that they planned on redesigning Ilum. Why would they redesign something that works perfect well as any other planet does. If they're going to invest that much time into something. Why not just make a new planet?

Could be wrong... but it would make a lot of sense.