Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

If F2P players have limited warzones - then won't they be undergeared for months?

Order-Sixty-Six

The good news is - lowbie pvp will get a lot more active with variety.

The bad news is, those fresh 50s will be permabad. To get war hero will take them several months, if not over a year for fully modded. I doubt any 50 f2p'r can repeatedly take it in the rectum for 6 months in order to gear to battlemaster. These players will be in your teams every week if they don't give up immediately, and it will be a prolonged suffering for all of us if they stick through it. Can you pull a recruit geared team for several months?

This seems like an extremely risky business model. If those players don't cave into this marketing plan EA has devised it could pan out very negatively. EA seems to be putting all their chips on the table with this, a lot of money went into this game and it doesn't seem like they're making it back very quickly. Not trying to sound like a doomsayer but this could determine whether swtor joins the graveyard of mmo's past.

Who knows, maybe pvp will be so difficult for them that F2Prs will avoid it. Bioware better hope the rest of the games content can compensate.

Edited by Order-Sixty-Six

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bad news is, those fresh 50s will be permabad. To get war hero will take them several months, if not over a year for fully modded. I doubt any 50 f2p'r can repeatedly take it in the rectum for 6 months in order to gear to battlemaster. These players will be in your teams every week if they don't give up immediately, and it will be a prolonged suffering for all of us if they stick through it. Can you pull a recruit geared team for several months?

This seems like an extremely risky business model. If those players don't cave into this marketing plan EA has devised it could pan out very negatively. EA seems to be putting all their chips on the table with this, a lot of money went into this game and it doesn't seem like they're making it back very quickly. Not trying to sound like a doomsay but this could determine whether swtor joins the graveyard of mmo's past.

Who knows, maybe pvp will be so difficult for them that F2Prs will avoid it. Bioware better hope the rest of the games content can compensate.

It will be interesting for sure. It will also be quite the chore to have to explain to people alllll over again how resolve works 5,000 times.

uhhh.....ya, of course they will. i don't know about taking a year (I'm assuming you're just pulling numbers out of your rear end as many internetters do) but they're playing FOR FREE. That's the trade-off there champ. That's the whole point of F2P. If you want to progress as fast as everyone else, pay, if you want to just be casual about it, don't pay. At lease PvPers who are playing free will probably be able to get WH gear eventually. PvEers can't do operations at all, so the best they can hope for is columi/BH gear. And guess what? that'll take longer too cause they will have to rely on the daily group finder, and weekly quests for all their BH comms. No Denova for them....but again.....FREE

It will be interesting for sure. It will also be quite the chore to have to explain to people alllll over again how resolve works 5,000 times.

Good news for us at least, the geared players will only gear that much quicker by putting together premades and obliterating pugs easier than ever before. I hate when my guildies make alts because it takes them a couple of weeks to get some gear when I pvp with them, but with a warzone limit on f2pers, it;s not going to be a couple of weeks and then the pain of losing is over - they're going to have to deal with that crap for much longer.

If they don't ragequit before they decide to sub, there may be hope. :3

pvpers in f2p are going to be limited in how many they can do so ya it will be a very long time till they get geared out.

even if its like 3 a day for a week they will still be behind the curve ball for a long time to come.

f2p is a marketing ploy to get more cash , human nature to have what others have when you have not so they will eventualy either

A. leave

B. pay for it .

uhhh.....ya, of course they will. i don't know about taking a year (I'm assuming you're just pulling numbers out of your rear end as many internetters do) but they're playing FOR FREE. That's the trade-off there champ. That's the whole point of F2P. If you want to progress as fast as everyone else, pay, if you want to just be casual about it, don't pay. At lease PvPers who are playing free will probably be able to get WH gear eventually. PvEers can't do operations at all, so the best they can hope for is columi/BH gear. And guess what? that'll take longer too cause they will have to rely on the daily group finder, and weekly quests for all their BH comms. No Denova for them....but again.....FREE

How long would you log on to lose every day as a casual gamer?

As a veteran of F2p games I will say this. Alot of the noobies who are getting wrecked in pvp will not simply quit. They will do whatever is necessary to have god mode b4 they leave, either spend big or cheat.

Isnt it funny just crossed my mind that the mmo's we have out today are all doing this and now if a mmo were to come out and not do this f2p thing that somehow it would turn to be like the underdog of mmo's?

But I think the prestige in being a non f2p mmo would attract alot more people in the long run if this were the case being solely the mmo that didnt cater to the almighty dollar.

I think this will sort itself out once solo rateds are implemented.

The matchmaking system will try to put players of similar ranking together, effectively making the F2P players face each other and the geared people will have their own 'bracket', so to say.

It will be alright because... Well if they like it, they will sub for it and they will join the ranks. If they don't, they will walk away. It is simple as that. No one will play 5-10 or however many matches every week and be happy about it and wait for the next week's matches. They will play the first week, and then if they like they will stick for the PVP and pay the sub. If they don't like it enough to pay for the sub, most likely they won't remember that a week passed and they can que again.

Or they'll decide PVP isn't for them.

A big part of why so many people did PVP before 1.3 is that you could queue from anywhere, go about doing your storyline or missions or whatever as usual, and then get a game -- and after that you end up back where you entered. With 1.3, group finder made a lot of that redundant. I wouldn't be too surprised if the actual proportion of players doing PVP didn't drop after 1.3 mostly because of that.

Oh well. F2P was in this game before. It was called free weekend. And it attracted so many players :). No it didn't.

F2P with paid content may also mean WH item for $19,99. Everything can be sold. How can you be sure this is not going to happen?

This seems like an extremely risky business model. If those players don't cave into this marketing plan EA has devised it could pan out very negatively. EA seems to be putting all their chips on the table with this, a lot of money went into this game and it doesn't seem like they're making it back very quickly. Not trying to sound like a doomsayer but this could determine whether swtor joins the graveyard of mmo's past.

It all depends on what the warzone limit is.

If the limit is 5 warzones a week, then yes they will be extremely under geared.

If the limit is 25 warzones a week, then maybe not. . .and least not when compared to the 'average' player.

Oh well. F2P was in this game before. It was called free weekend. And it attracted so many players :). No it didn't.

F2P with paid content may also mean WH item for $19,99. Everything can be sold. How can you be sure this is not going to happen?

Why is that even a bad thing? If someone wants to pay 300 bucks for WH gear, I say let them. I can grind for the same gear(and if I stay subscribed then I can use the coins to buy it myself).

What you're talking about is NOT a pay to win system. Since the same gear is available in game. If the store bought WH gear had +50 to the stats or something, THEN it would be pay to win.

But I have a feeling you're one of the resident forum trolls since you're not even talking about the thread topic anyway, you just wanted to spout out some f2p hate.

Edited by FourTwent

You know they will put normal and ranked comms on the Cartel Market for sure? I mean, why not? It's a cash-cow, everyone will buy them!

What's that? Tired of watching those War Heroes roflstomp you on the face? Come to the Cartel Market with phatbuck$ and CD30 can sell you all the commendations you need to get your own set of pay-2-win War Heroes gear.

I was under the impression (though I'm not sure why after rereading the official F2P post), that you would be able to pay for piecemeal portions of the game.

For example, a F2P account could buy a PvP pass that would give them unlimited PvP for a month.

That's what I thought when they said "allows players to customize their experience".

Perhaps it is just wishful thinking.

I was under the impression (though I'm not sure why after rereading the official F2P post), that you would be able to pay for piecemeal portions of the game.

For example, a F2P account could buy a PvP pass that would give them unlimited PvP for a month.

That's what I thought when they said "allows players to customize their experience".

Perhaps it is just wishful thinking.

this is my understanding as well. you could unlock pvp, or unlock operations, or unlock flashpoints. and it could cost like 5 or 10 or 15 bucks maybe to unlock them. but you'd only pay that fee once and then it would be unlocked on your whole account(usually these are account wide). but im sure they could also put in a system that would have you pay 1-2 dollars and allow you maybe twice as many flashpoints or warzones that you can play per month.

this is my understanding as well. you could unlock pvp, or unlock operations, or unlock flashpoints. and it could cost like 5 or 10 or 15 bucks maybe to unlock them. but you'd only pay that fee once and then it would be unlocked on your whole account(usually these are account wide). but im sure they could also put in a system that would have you pay 1-2 dollars and allow you maybe twice as many flashpoints or warzones that you can play per month.

Whatever model they go with they have to make sure that unlocking for F2P is more expensive then full unlock as a subscriber, and switching between F2P and subscriber correctly handles re-locking content.

PvP gear will be coming to a cash shop nearest you. :cool:

Nothing wrong with that.

People who buy the gear will fall into one of two categories:

1. Newb/noob - These guys will suck regardless of the gear they are in. Newbs will get better with time, but noobs will always suck simply because they think they are awesome and see no point in improving themselves.

2. Alts - These guys will already have fully geared WHs but simply want to experience PvP with a different character without needing to grind all that gear again and again.

The gear for sale would be the same as the gear you grind, meaning it simply becomes a priority decision for each player, do I value my time or my money more?

I would like to remind everyone that the level cap is going to be increased soon, and f2pers will not have access to the higher levels. So while I don't know how they will handle the current gear for level 50s. I am curious to see if f2pers will even be able to pvp with the top geared people, as I assume when the level cap is increased there will be a new set of pvp gear as well. Unless they implement the bolster mechanic they really can't have lvl 50s fighting lvl 55s.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.