Any Developer Post Mortems Yet?

SirRobin

Given that TOR, reportedly, took eight hundred people, six years, and almost two hundred million dollars to make, but not even twelve months to go free-to-play. I find myself pondering what Daniel and company have to say. Not the Johnny come lately crew. I mean the guys who were designing TOR from the beginning.

Do you think they blame the community? The market? Cthulhu? Maybe even sunk into a Gordon "RPG players don't do 3D well" Walton level of delusion, like he did after SWG? Probably, egos can be quite touchy things after all. Yet it would be refreshing to hear that at least some of them looked in the mirror instead.

Edited by SirRobin

You forgot Gabe Amantangelo , Jeff Hickman guys which got " successful " resume of working on Warrhammer already so this is just one more game to add into their track record and Dallas Dickinson who was there when NGE was maded for SWG.

I'm sure they are speechless right now since EA is doing all the talk for them .

Edited by Lunablade

Given that TOR, reportedly, took eight hundred people, six years, and almost two hundred million dollars to make, but not even twelve months to go free-to-play. I find myself pondering what Daniel and company have to say. Not the Johnny come lately crew. I mean the guys who were designing TOR from the beginning.

Do you think they blame the community? The market? Cthulhu? Maybe even sunk into a Gordon "RPG players don't do 3D well" Walton level of delusion, like he did after SWG? Probably, egos can be quite touchy things after all. Yet it would be refreshing to hear that at least some of them looked in the mirror instead.

Well read that:

Behind the scenes of Star Wars: The Old Republic: throwing people at the problem

Bioware Austin hire huge numbers of developers, outsource much of their art, completely rebuild how their team was integrated, and eventually make strict cuts to game features in a triage process known internally as “The Death Star”.

“If you offer nothing different, you fail. But we are an MMORPG."

Star Wars: The Old Republic was built to thrive in a WoW world

Their goal, for now, is to gain over one million subscribers in the long-term, one they’re apparently well on their way to meeting.

At the time they were supposed to have 1.7 million subscribers.

Dickinson said that they won some and lost some in trying to scale up to full production with this kind of scope. He believes they did well in the voice over and writing development cycle, as well as outsourcing of art for both character and environment. Where they didn’t do so well, he said, was in the build pipeline (what gets done and by whom), data tables (tracking), and software scripting.
Edited by Deewe