Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

Personally, this is going to work for me. I'll continue to pay, but if I run into a bind where the funds may be needed elsewhere, I can afford to make the switch temporarily and not lose my ability to play, just lose some of the access points to the game, and that's cool too, I can deal with that.

This is a win/win situation. Keeps people in the game, keeps some people paying to get all the perks and allows those that can't pay or don't want to, with the ability to access the game. Hopefully this will all work out.

Can we get a definitive and absolute difference between the Pay to Play and the Free to Play versions out there? What are we giving up when we play for free and what are we gaining that makes 15 dollars a month worth while?

Yay positive comment. the other comments make me feel like im in the worst part of Nar shadaa

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EA and Bioware are not having a booth at Celebration VI for the game... this just proves this is nothing but pathetic... they obviously don't want to get bashed by the fans or at least defend their actions...

I think its actually because they're too busy msking an awesome game even awesomer.... im not sure if what i just typed is even a word or if i even spelled it right. :confused:

I think its actually because they're too busy msking an awesome game even awesomer.... im not sure if what i just typed is even a word or if i even spelled it right. :confused:

I agree with you, besides that it was the "self proclaimed" fans who F***ed this game over. All the hype and positive feed back from us, hell I thought I heard back b4 launch that Bioware even went and bought more serves so they could keep up with our "supposed" demands. Game launches and ppl go back to WOW??!?!?! ***?!!? Play both imo, but don't blame Bioware for them getting F'd by us! SWTOR is FTW imo, I'm not fond of the F2P idea =( but I think I understand it. Sorry Bioware ='( Plz make it worth it for us subscribers =)

I fear bout this 'cartel' points, and the fact that subs get a certain amount each month. I'm presuming this means you will also be able to buy 'cartel' points.

If that's the case, it's unforgivable. This will mean that there will be people saving their points each month to get what they want while the Devs will also be expecting people to buy the extra points they want.

Stop monopolising the game EA.

I just wish we'd get some sort of response from a Dev or maybe some more information posted out there. They've given the bad news before they've given us the good. People will leave the game before they've even seen how good the new content will or will not be.

oooh, ok. Sorry then-and yeah I hear you. I'm on the fence about the whole thing. Problem being they just don't have quite enough subs. I think if they had released the game with everything up till 1.3 things would be much different.-ergo more subs and subs on the rise-but unfortunately that didn't happen :( I like the idea of f2p simply so more people can come check up on the game-my thought is that this will keep more and more people coming as the game evolves. I think we all can agree that it takes time for a great mmo to grow which I know this one can and has the potential for so many awesome things yet to come :)

Thanks the announcement of free to play has all but killed my guild.

I don't understand how you just don't get it..maybe you need someone like me to come in and give some advice!

And the announcement has energized my guild, as we're anticipating doing a recruitment drive when F2P goes live. If you didn't read the worst-case scenario into things, maybe your guild wouldn't be on the verge of falling apart.

Edited by MadBlue

It's not often that I join a discussion then have my mind swayed along the way, however this is happening slowly.

I now see that F2P has the advantage of allowing players at max level to come back to the game and get a feel for it again, and hopefully decide to start subbing.

The cartel shop is starting to sound like the online Blizzard shop except you can actually buy the 'cosmetic' stuff from being loyal and just saving your points if you don't want to spend the money. It's seems a good way to reward loyal customers. I dont want to go back to WoW where my rogue will no longer be able to heal people...

The downsides are th grey areas... What might happen, what could happen and what shouldn't happen.

These have obviously been discussed already between ourselves and we just need more info... Come Mr Dev humour us a little please.

Do you read any of the "Community Q&A's" from there? They happen every week. Dev's address questions from players.

Did I read the Q&As correctly?

Perhaps it's just my Fone not showing everything up properly (im at work) but was there only 4 questions answered.?And if that's true, they seemed to be the most insignificant questions they could possibly have chosen to answer considering the fact that proposed new content is coming out soon.

I'm gaining faith in F2P but losing it in the Devs.

problems why they don't have player base

1.) once u get to level 50 and done everything they can do at that level nothing left no content for the higher levels

2.) space suxs you have no control over your ship same missions just harder, the missions are like playing starfox if i wanted to play that game i would , no space pvp on pvp servers, hint most players that played on swg used to customize their ships and equipment and lived in space to pvp and master space ships

3.) all the bugs and glitches they aren't being fixed they know they are there but nothing has been done about it.

4.) f2p to me is a bad idea makes us just like every other game instead of being a sub game

5.) this isn't wow nor swg but you've managed to mainly mimic wow and their combat style and stuff with a twist of swg...swg for one had a lot more content we went to 90 not 50 had space pvp and everything all around, as for wow honestly i tired it personally i've played games for yrs and i thought it suxed rappelz is better than wow maybe take hints of them, stop coping others styles and create ur own style for swtor

6.) listen to the community and players we play it daily and we know what is bad and good for players take hints from them that's was swg downfall when they made the nge they lost thousands of players because they didn't listen

7.) stuff was dummed down because of ppl whining it's too hard it shouldn't be easy why would u want to grind a toon and it take u less than a mth to do, the way beta was, was better than it is now cause now when u get to 50 and done all the stuff 50's can do they is nothing left for them to do.

if anyone wants to add to this u can but this is what i've seen going on since beta

Edited by Foxyfire

I've been reading up on this website for ages, had great fun anticipating the game, offered quite a few handy suggestions and creative insights, which I suspect have been used as an idea. (and maybe great minds think alike so I'm sure someone else offered the same or similar suggestions.) I have paid for my copy and played bioware games since the good old days of Baldur's Gate, so I'd like to say that not every player is a cheapskate just because they're temporary humiliated millionaires. I've paid for this game and played for one month, and absolutely LOVE the game, and would be more than HAPPY to keep my subscription going IF ONLY I had the money for it.

Newsflash: Financial Crisis in Europe, and a LOT of unemployment.

Now, to all you people who just can't handle the fact someone else gets something for free while you 'have' to pay for it; maybe you should be HAPPY someone else will actually BE THERE for you to do a HEROIC MISSION with, because QUITE A FEW servers look like the endless Dune Sea on Tatooine, which is why they're locked or show these funny messages to people which tell them to TRANSFER their characters to a more populated world.

I've been on the Shaltin Tunnels for a month and a couple of days. When I started, there were dozens of players on it, and now, only ONE month later, you'll be LUCKY if you see 1 other player than yourself online. Now, GENIUSES, how are you going to DEFEAT that level zillion freaking world boss conqueror droid? Hey, it's cool if you pay for extra content and actually get a whole new freaking planet once in every while, but it's something else when you have to SKIP missions ALL THE TIME simply because there aren't enough people online to complete that extra content with.

So yeah. Cheapskate will HELP you out there. Just like cheapskate will keep his subscription going when he finds a new job again, because cheapskate LIKES extra options and content too! Because cheapskate is just like YOU, and enjoys playing the same games you do. Cheapskate has always been a loyal Bioware fan, for obvious reasons, and probably bought more of their games than most of the people who are complaining about what is essentially, one of the best MMO's out there!

Hey, Neverwinter Nights can still be played online, for free, and believe it or not, some people STILL enjoy that game. Don't worry, cheapskate will get off his soapbox now, because cheapskate has to continue looking for a job. (and in the evening cheapskate will play a game with some of you because cheapskate doesn't have much else to do or to look forward to in the evening.)

Hey, nobody wants to be a cheapskate, but being Scrooge isn't exactly all that either? I'm happy we understand each other. THANK YOU for allowing broke people a couple of hours of online fun as well. I'm sure some of them will remember and will be happy to support your product if they ENJOY it. I for one, think this game is TOTALLY worth 12 € a month, because you're basically buying yourself a new game expansion every 3 months with all the new content, missions, planets, stories and more importantly; the kind of FUN you're looking for!

I know it's not the kind of stuff you'd like to read on the internet, because reality has no place here. I know Bioware wants to make MONEY and isn't doing this out of charity. (doh!) But still I think it's great to enable the people who can't always afford it to play a game as well, wether or not they're ever going to subscribe. Just remember you still get ALL THE GOOD STUFF while cheapskate is HELPING YOU through one of your heroic missions or flashpoints.

This is NOT a sob-story, and I'm not looking for sympathy or anything, just speaking my mind, because I'm pretty sure there are MANY more people like me who might have two or three reservations about embarrasing themselves in public, so I guess this one's for all of my fellow cheapskates who are just a little too broke for a monthly subscription at the moment!

Thank you for reading Captain Succesful. Sergeant Cheapskate out. (broke people are Jedi too!)

Cheapskate... One rule in life for me is to never trust someone that talks about themselves in the 3rd person.

However, you made some very valid points and I did like your post. Brought back a bit of nostalgia talkin about Baldur's Gate. Id forgotten Bioware had made it, all I remembered was Black Isle Studios... What a game that was.

But ye I do see your point about letting people without the coin play certain points in the game, and it is starting to not look such a bad idea the more I hear the other side of the coin.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered... there's a 1,000+ replies to filter through.

But with all the sales for SWTOR @ $10-15... a lot of people are asking if you need to buy the base-game in order to participate in the Free2Play Model?

I guess the question is, is it "Free2Play," or is it a "Free Subscription"?

All the deals and wording leads me to believe you will not need the base game, but I have no real evidence of either... other than speculation.

Here's another question.... Everyone is so looking forward to GW2... What if they have the same problems as SWTOR and doesn't perform to expectations? then what? Is everyone going to crab about GW2 also?

As you play more and more MMOs you will find this is the norm. A very vocal crowd will spread the doom & gloom message from day 1 and people will argue about it creating more publicity for the idea, but at the end of the day it's mostly smoke and mirrors and only those with weak minds let their enjoyment of the game be swayed by these naysayers as opposed to their own I game experiences.

Even WoW (the most successful MMOS ever?) had from day 1, has, and will continue to have people proclaiming its death. Yet the game lives on.

I can't wait for F2P to start so all the people saying they won't be back will infact be back to complain on the forums about "I told you so" when in fact SWTOR gets an influx of new players because of the renewed interest. They'll never eat their words though. It's just how online gaming communities go. A bunch of angsty people.

Sorry if this has been asked and answered... there's a 1,000+ replies to filter through.

But with all the sales for SWTOR @ $10-15... a lot of people are asking if you need to buy the base-game in order to participate in the Free2Play Model?

I guess the question is, is it "Free2Play," or is it a "Free Subscription"?

All the deals and wording leads me to believe you will not need the base game, but I have no real evidence of either... other than speculation.

You are right I believe, it's unclear.

There's this:

Is the game really “free”? http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6477

Can I buy the game online? How much will it cost? http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6476

But that doesn't really clarify.

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6481 says "All Free Trial accounts will automatically convert to Free-to-Play accounts" so I would assume you don't need to purchase the base game for that, but I have no experience with a free trial account.

At the end of the day is a one time payment of $15 really so bad to be able to level a bunch of MMOS characters to lv 50?

Edited by Jnight

http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6481 says "All Free Trial accounts will automatically convert to Free-to-Play accounts" so I would assume you don't need to purchase the base game for that, but I have no experience with a free trial account.

At the end of the day is a one time payment of $15 really so bad to be able to level a bunch of MMOS characters to lv 50?

Yeah, that definately something that leads me to believe you will not need the base game... Which really explains all the sales too. Sell em all now before its free.

(And yeah, I already got it $15. I won't spend $15/mo because of the limited amount of time I have to play game... but I happily paid $15 one-time for access now... even assuming it would be free months from now)

Thanks for your input.

Here's what I think EA is overlooking with Free to Play. I believe people who choose those sorts of games have lower end systems. They don't invest heavily in a computer because they aren't all that into PC games. They are not going to be able to play this game smoothly. They will not subscribe or spend money on it.

You absolutely must improve performance and load times if you want to expand your subscription or profits for this game.

F2P..............................Oh dear :(.

I loved this game, I've played many MMORPG's but never like I played this one, but F2P, the money will run low then it will be gone and so will the game.

Shame it showed such promise.

Well just see how it goes.

ArenaNet/NCsoft have a great model:Guildwars-Factions-Eye Of the North

No monthly fees—ever!

Compelling story and customizable characters set in a stunning world

PvP or roleplaying—you choose the gameplay style

It seems Guildwars ONE,FACTIONS,EYE OF THE NORTH are still alive and kicking.

I played all 3 from around 2005 to late 2007 I stopped only because Life changed,But it seems these games are still active and alive even with the incoming GW2.

Loved the GW series,I chose it over WoW not just because of the subscription fees, I chose it over Wow because I found Wow Boreing, Graphicaly & Artisticaly Infererior,GamePlay was a TimeTrap Grind for the sole purpose of grinding and wasteing time because Time was Money.

GW was Fun because it was Pure Fun and it looks like it succeeded alongside WoW for the last 7 years.

Swtor has that same Fun Factor for me

I say Go Free To Play but keep chargeing 14.99 for the core game then follow up with Huge Stand Alone Games,Charge for the Core game and be subscription free.

Probably too late for that,Have to see how this EA/Bioware F2P model works out.

Its 2012 going on 2013 and with todays economy NCsoft/ArenaNet model is the way to go.

Edited by CygnusMX

Yeah, that definately something that leads me to believe you will not need the base game... Which really explains all the sales too. Sell em all now before its free.

(And yeah, I already got it $15. I won't spend $15/mo because of the limited amount of time I have to play game... but I happily paid $15 one-time for access now... even assuming it would be free months from now)

Thanks for your input.

Very Simply put...and good timeing too, I preordered so paid full price......

With that thought aside your example;because of the limited amount of time I have to play game Applies to alot of people,for whatever life/reality reasons they have.

I've been reading up on this website for ages, had great fun anticipating the game, offered quite a few handy suggestions and creative insights, which I suspect have been used as an idea. (and maybe great minds think alike so I'm sure someone else offered the same or similar suggestions.) I have paid for my copy and played bioware games since the good old days of Baldur's Gate, so I'd like to say that not every player is a cheapskate just because they're temporary humiliated millionaires. I've paid for this game and played for one month, and absolutely LOVE the game, and would be more than HAPPY to keep my subscription going IF ONLY I had the money for it.

Newsflash: Financial Crisis in Europe, and a LOT of unemployment.

Now, to all you people who just can't handle the fact someone else gets something for free while you 'have' to pay for it; maybe you should be HAPPY someone else will actually BE THERE for you to do a HEROIC MISSION with, because QUITE A FEW servers look like the endless Dune Sea on Tatooine, which is why they're locked or show these funny messages to people which tell them to TRANSFER their characters to a more populated world.

I've been on the Shaltin Tunnels for a month and a couple of days. When I started, there were dozens of players on it, and now, only ONE month later, you'll be LUCKY if you see 1 other player than yourself online. Now, GENIUSES, how are you going to DEFEAT that level zillion freaking world boss conqueror droid? Hey, it's cool if you pay for extra content and actually get a whole new freaking planet once in every while, but it's something else when you have to SKIP missions ALL THE TIME simply because there aren't enough people online to complete that extra content with.

So yeah. Cheapskate will HELP you out there. Just like cheapskate will keep his subscription going when he finds a new job again, because cheapskate LIKES extra options and content too! Because cheapskate is just like YOU, and enjoys playing the same games you do. Cheapskate has always been a loyal Bioware fan, for obvious reasons, and probably bought more of their games than most of the people who are complaining about what is essentially, one of the best MMO's out there!

Hey, Neverwinter Nights can still be played online, for free, and believe it or not, some people STILL enjoy that game. Don't worry, cheapskate will get off his soapbox now, because cheapskate has to continue looking for a job. (and in the evening cheapskate will play a game with some of you because cheapskate doesn't have much else to do or to look forward to in the evening.)

Hey, nobody wants to be a cheapskate, but being Scrooge isn't exactly all that either? I'm happy we understand each other. THANK YOU for allowing broke people a couple of hours of online fun as well. I'm sure some of them will remember and will be happy to support your product if they ENJOY it. I for one, think this game is TOTALLY worth 12 € a month, because you're basically buying yourself a new game expansion every 3 months with all the new content, missions, planets, stories and more importantly; the kind of FUN you're looking for!

I know it's not the kind of stuff you'd like to read on the internet, because reality has no place here. I know Bioware wants to make MONEY and isn't doing this out of charity. (doh!) But still I think it's great to enable the people who can't always afford it to play a game as well, wether or not they're ever going to subscribe. Just remember you still get ALL THE GOOD STUFF while cheapskate is HELPING YOU through one of your heroic missions or flashpoints.

This is NOT a sob-story, and I'm not looking for sympathy or anything, just speaking my mind, because I'm pretty sure there are MANY more people like me who might have two or three reservations about embarrasing themselves in public, so I guess this one's for all of my fellow cheapskates who are just a little too broke for a monthly subscription at the moment!

Thank you for reading Captain Succesful. Sergeant Cheapskate out. (broke people are Jedi too!)

Yes people are having it hard and have no jobs doesn't mean they say to others that ACTUALLY bought the game and has been here since beta get told screw you that u paid 60 to 200 dollars for your copy, some of us like having a sub based game with no free to play. If you can afford to buy the game you can afford to pay the sub that's how i look at it, why buy a game for 60 dollars or even 200 dollars knowing it's a sub based game and it won't be able to afford it because u have money problems, if they are that bad then they shouldn't purchase the game in the first place. I for one spent a total of 260 dollars one for a collectors edition and one for a normal edition plus 2 30 day cards so i know how much everything cost

Yes people are having it hard and have no jobs doesn't mean they say to others that ACTUALLY bought the game and has been here since beta get told screw you that u paid 60 to 200 dollars for your copy, some of us like having a sub based game with no free to play. If you can afford to buy the game you can afford to pay the sub that's how i look at it, why buy a game for 60 dollars or even 200 dollars knowing it's a sub based game and it won't be able to afford it because u have money problems, if they are that bad then they shouldn't purchase the game in the first place. I for one spent a total of 260 dollars one for a collectors edition and one for a normal edition plus 2 30 day cards so i know how much everything cost

The subscription offer is still there,and it should or better be worth while for those who have invested alot into the game these last 7 months.

I pre-ordered, been paying sub,I'm not hardcore or as devoted but Ive still put out a good amount of $ in support of the game with no break in my subscription.

I dont mind most of the vague limitations I saw as far as F2P,but if I subscribe or for those who do subscribe and remain subscribed and have supported the game since pre-launch should get perks that are worthwhile.

Subscription worth it over F2P option will be a factor....I think for some it will, some it wont.

I love a SUB ONLY set of servers. Makes perfect sense. I'm concerned that with the addition of th F2P players, the current servers will lag badly.

Will there be an option to play on Sub Only servers? And will people be allowed to move their sub chars there?

Thanks for killing the game, and selling out to 10 year olds with no money.

You've just cost yourself a lot of players.

Now if you made a Sub Only set of servers.. might be a different story..

If there is a servers for only subs F2P wont that big off an issue. many other MMOs are like that. so are too this day very successful. what EA has to do is several things.

1. let BioWare control the game they clearly know how to make a game!

2. make the content too good to make all those F2P players want to sub. its not your goal to keep people as F2P its your goal to make them WANT to pay.

3. seperate servers so us PAYING players dont have to deal with unnecessary lag, and spam of the general chat.

4. dont let the F2P have any taste of the P2P content what so ever.

5. please the players not the stock-holders.