Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

It's funny though because I'm just going to play it like a regular mmo because end game was complete *********** **** anyway. I loved this game from the very beginning, before it was even made. I was soooo looking forward to getting it because i had played KoToR I and II and i loved them played them several times through because i loved them so. Now you take this game, this game that could have been beautiful and thriving and an all around amazing game and you *********** **** ON IT! This is what the **** is wrong with the world everyone wants a *********** slice. Money hungry whores who only care about their cash flow. Thank you for ******** on me, a paying subscriber, and ******** on a community that wanted nothing more then to love and play this game. You have ruined the way i look at you and your company. I hope you drowned on this sinking ship...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the worst news I've heard all week, my heart absolutely sank when I saw this headline on IGN. I was hoping for some news on the next big patch, but that'll probably get scrapped along with the new Cathar species so they can focus on desperately trying to get those ungrateful little brats back(who do nothing but trash this game on forums and comments sections of game sites) instead of catering to their current and loyal player-base. This will be the kiss of death for this game as CARTEL coins and being able to do cap level ops and warzones won't be enough incentive to keep the majority of players to continue to pay monthly. I'll continue to pay, but only because I love this game dearly and don't want to see it croak, but I'm sure I'll be one of the few. I really hope you guys do this right or you'll see your life's biggest achievement go down the drain.

F2P = Subs are paying for less content at the same rate. People who bot and troll come out of the woodwork.

The devs will support the game less and less because they will start losing even more money and the game will fail. I am already seeing friends and other SWTOR players unsubbing, and quiting the game. I guess this is what you get for making a clone of another MMO, and expecting it to do great. Instead of doing something silly, like being new and innovative...but wait that costs too much time and money EA can't have that! It was to be expected though...its obvious when you let big business gain control over the gaming world. They dont care about us as long as they get their profit.

(Why do i even bother with MMO's anymore? lol...)

this is great news for my bank account

joking aside

the people going ape about this decision need to wait til its actually implemented before making you asinine comments if you want to quit go ahead quit don't need to come on here and rant about how crappy this game is to you how you feel this game owes you so much and how your going to go play guild wars 2 or how about go play diablo 3 and tell me how that crap fest turned out

at the end of the day people will still support this game maybe the end game content isn't good enough for your high standards but for people that love star wars and enjoy a good story this game has gone above and beyond expectations

bw and ea's biggest mistake maybe turning this game into an MMO and not just making KOTOR 3 but we will see what happens this fall

Upon seeing the new Free-to-Play option announcement on the launcher, I got the sudden urge to walk into every video-game store in my area, put all their stock of SWTOR in a single pile, then jump on it.

Jump, jump, jump.

Then light it on fire.

That might make up very slightly for this ****.

They just want to milk subscribers for $$$ until they go to P2W. They just started walking down the road true Star Wars fans wished they wouldn't travel. You would think that 80% of posts on this thread alone of people leaving or unhappy would open eyes. For some reason I don't think that's going to effect the already established "communication" they have with their subs. We will fade away until this thing goes down. Just like all other money grabbing companies. Downgrade the staff and devs, slow development, and make gear and items earned by cash. Oh boy I can't wait!

/unsubscribe

Me and some guildies were running a fp when this announcement hit, we wiped like 10 times on simple packs of trash because nobody could focus on the game anymore.

All I can say, after my initial reaction, is that we will have to wait and see how the shop is implemented, how will that affect the gameplay. If, for example, they make "pay-to-play" packs that you can buy to get unlimited access to parts of the game - say pay 7$ for unlimited access to wz's, then it will be a good thing, and actually give the players a chance to pay for what they like. My fear however is that the shop will focus on getting unique game-altering items, like new augment kits and so on only available in the shop.

Still, even with all of this, just wanted to say " Thank you Bioware for the amazing leveling and story experience " it was a lot fun, hopefully it can stay that way.

I had a lot of fun playing this game, its sad that my first post ever is on a thread like this.

It is nice that you keep the subscription option. And I hope all subscribers will have full access to all ingme features.

Maybe the f2p model will bring more plyers with all the new content that is coming.

I just hve 1 simple request to Bioware - DO NOT turn SWTOR into a pay to win game. I just want to be able to pay 15/month and have a full access to everything.

The arguement for the F2P is that it worked for star trek? a miniscule project compared to SWTOR. The fact that they have enacted F2P within one year of release is bad, it shows they need people desperately. I think TOR may be close to the end with no significant rewards for vets and still a $15 dollar/month price tag with a F2P option.

The people who said they would come back if it was free weren't saying that because they couldn't afford to pay. They said that because your game isn't worth paying for. Instead of making it free you should be focused on making it worth the subscription.

Heh. I knew EA's track record...all the way back to a lesser known MMO called Earth and Beyond from the early 2000s.

You dicked us then. Im not shocked you did it now. I remember Westwood Studios EA. You did the same to them that you've done to Bioware.

So Dip****s, why didnt you just make KOTOR 3 and save yourselves the embarassment? I spit on you and your choices and actions as stewards of a wonderful franchise.

Congrats, youve beaten out car salesmen and politicians for scum of the earth. At least prostitutes give you what you pay for.

Edited by TristanDyingstar

The people who said they would come back if it was free weren't saying that because they couldn't afford to pay. They said that because your game isn't worth paying for. Instead of making it free you should be focused on making it worth the subscription.

exactly dont listen to the people that have left the game listen to the people that are still playing the game

I'm actually in for this. This will create a lot of options for players and the Dev Team alike. Also, a lot of MMORPGs have been choosing this business model. I'm practically not sure as to how big will the income difference will be but I'm thinking that this will be pretty much better than subscriptions. This will be one helluva ride and I'm strapped in. Let's do this! :D

Come this fall... TOR will be adding in their version of the NGE into Star Wars: The Old Republic...

At least SWG's didn't make the game vulnerable to THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF LITTLE KIDS that could actually be viable in PvP... BECAUSE OF HOW SIMPLE THE GAME IS...

I'm actually in for this. This will create a lot of options for players and the Dev Team alike. Also, a lot of MMORPGs have been choosing this business model. I'm practically not sure as to how big will the income difference will be but I'm thinking that this will be pretty much better than subscriptions. This will be one helluva ride and I'm strapped in. Let's do this! :D

world of war craft dont use this module and they have been around for how many years. What options, the people who play for free til lvl 50 will just leave and not sub. The problem isnt the lvl 1 to 49 content it the content after you hit lvl cap. How would this bring more options to players if they cant do any endgame content if they play for free they wont sub because the endgame is not good at all we want more content and good content to bring back players not a f2p module

Agree 100% Well BW you've done this because facepalm is to mainstream ? or this is a hack attack ? or

Just let us*(the whole game ) know if you want us out of the game.

I don't like to disparage Bioware (EA could DIACF for me) But I have to agree with the above. I Think this free to play model is good, as I personally dont want to pay for this game at the moment, as the content and "Fluff" isn't worth the Subscription, but at least I can still log in now and again and see what going on, when they release content I can then pay. But lets not get it twisted Bioware, People arent subbed, because they dont like what your doing, not because $15 is a lot.

!! Exciting stuff.

Three things comes to my mind.

1. When the servers are getting bombed with new users.

Will paying subscribers get thier own "server queue" ? What does priority mean in this matter?

Or will the people who dont actually want to pay for the game / content make it unplayable for me who is willing to pay for it? paying / leechers ratio of 10:1 or?

2. If this is a successful strategy, to in the long run get people intrested and then converted into paying customers.

Please then for the love of ME, add more features to the social network parts of the game.

As chat handling, increased attention / responsibility of the customer service and simular tools / actions.

Since...

Spammers are gonna spam (1/2/3) chat-channels and harassment will occur through whispers. (Bla bla buy this and that, leveling service. Bla bla bot, credit this and that. ).

3. Never, ever back out of this initial statement that f2p players are muted on the swtor.com forum. At maximum, open a f2p section of the forum.

3.1 ~.^ PRIO gamedev + content > trying to satisfy all qq post of the "non-belivers". Since it's going to change from

Current whine:

"Player #1: Im paying equaly amount as player #2, so it's not fair he get's exclusive access to this and that.

Time is not of the essence here, I must get access to everything and be granted access to all content / items instant. Since,... time is not of the essence.

Why can player two kill me when we pay equal amount / month.

I don't have time to crunch numbers on DR this and that or do spreadsheets and I think it's booring to have to bind keys and do the same thing over and over 10 hours / day. cry, nerf and make more casual NOW!!"

Feature whine:

Player #1: Im playing equaly amount of time as player #2, so....

... money is not of the essence.

BW / EA or who ever is gonna handle this in when it lay eggs..

Have a PRO plan for this.

Ty for a fun product that is atm worth my money and time.

Edited by EvulZoky