[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

BlznSmri

This is a great discussion. Thank you all for contributing, but I want to give special thanks to BlznSmri (Blazing Samurai?) for putting it together initially and updating it as new information becomes available.

Quick question: Does Insight increase the chance to crit the Ataru proc? There appears to be conflicting information available on the forums (some of it quite old) but I know this is the place to get the final answer.

If it doesn't, where do you recommend putting the last 3 points in a 5/31/2 PVE Combat build?

Edited by Plicitous

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question: Does Insight increase the chance to crit the Ataru proc? There appears to be conflicting information available on the forums (some of it quite old) but I know this is the place to get the final answer.

If it doesn't, where do you recommend putting the last 3 points in a 5/31/2 PVE Combat build?

In short, no. Ataru procs are physical, not force (something I have to thank BlznSmri for correcting me on a long time ago).

Personally, I throw two points into Swelling Winds (might as well have the boost to AoE), and the last point into Insight for a microscopic buff to Cauterize's DoT.

The only point I'll make about this discussion is that Precision lasts 4.5 seconds, not 4. You will use a fraction of that up triggering it during the previous GCD, but with Zen you should have ample time to fit in 3xBR, BS.

Absolutely correct, I can't believe I wrote 4 seconds numerous times.

In short, no. Ataru procs are physical, not force (something I have to thank BlznSmri for correcting me on a long time ago).

^^^^^^

This

Personally, I throw two points into Swelling Winds (might as well have the boost to AoE), and the last point into Insight for a microscopic buff to Cauterize's DoT.

I do the same.

I switch depending on the fight and my role in each, however there's nothing really wrong with keeping the points in Swelling winds.

Edited by BlznSmri

• 3 months later...

***NECRO ALERT***

I think that Sentinel subforums miss 2.0 guides of this quality. Any chance of updating this one? I know that it is hell lot of work, but I'm sure that lots of newbie Sentinels, myself included, would be really grateful!

***NECRO ALERT***

I think that Sentinel subforums miss 2.0 guides of this quality. Any chance of updating this one? I know that it is hell lot of work, but I'm sure that lots of newbie Sentinels, myself included, would be really grateful!

Slivovidze, I was doing some looking, it appears as though BlznSmri is no longer active on the forums (last post 3 months ago). I'll look into creating a new thread with updated information, it may take a little while though.

So the best skill tree for maximum dmg in a single boss fight (lvl 55 ops for example) is combat? I always used that skill tree and I still cant figured out if It's better than watchman in a single boss fight, because there different opinion about it

So the best skill tree for maximum dmg in a single boss fight (lvl 55 ops for example) is combat? I always used that skill tree and I still cant figured out if It's better than watchman in a single boss fight, because there different opinion about it

It depends on the encounter. If the boss(es) move little to none and there is little to no down time, than I'm inclined to think Watchman would have the advantage because they have better sustained DPS potential. On the other hand when facing an encounter with fair amount of movement and downtime where a Watchman could potentially have his/her buffs fall off (Juyo Form and Merciless) than Combat could have the advantage because they have almost none, if any, "ramp up time".

Offtopic: Dang necros. :p

Edited by Bugattiboy

It depends on the encounter. If the boss(es) move little to none and there is little to no down time, than I'm inclined to think Watchman would have the advantage because they have better sustained DPS potential. ...

I agree with you on the part that it depends on the encounter, but I don't think that movement is the limiting factor. Watchman got the tools to really stick to a target with the lower cool down and no minimum range on force leap. The factor would rather be aoe/spike dmg phases in which you need to run away from the boss to engage it again once it is over. In that time your merciless slash buff will fall off and you got the ramp up time again.