Broken Promises or Unrealistic Expectations?

Gersidi

Nice try but that doesnt solve it for everyone.. You are just one of those players that has the attitude "it doesnt happen to me, therefor it doesnt exist". Im sorry but you dont reflect 1.7 million subs that the game used to have.
Conversely, you are just one of those people that takes what happens to the minority and starts a smear campaign that it's an epidemic. Edited by GalacticKegger

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, Im happy they had the guild summit, I really am. It was a very cool thing that Bioware did for the community. Thats the positive of it. The negative of it shows, if you watch it and pay attention, that Bioware really had no communication there either. Most questions were answered with:

Well look into that

Its not in game? I wasnt aware

Thats on the board but no timetable

We cant talk about that yet

How long ago was the guild summit? Have we heard anything about it since? No.

Jesus Christ. WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO SAY, Soluss?! WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO SAY BESIDES PR SPIN?! THAT'S NOT HOW BUSINESS WORKS!!!!!! When you get a defective printer, do you ask for them for exact printer schematics and software stuff on why your printer isn't working with Windows XP? NO. You DON'T. Do you ask them for a detailed analysis on a timetable of when they're gonna get it out? NO. It's ONLY MMO message boarders that do this. It just drives me nuts because there's NOTHING Bioware can say at this point to anybody about anything that's going to be remotely useful. 'Yes we're working on that,'. THAT'S IT, THAT'S ALL THEY CAN SAY. I don't get why people don't get this. ************ on the boards doesn't get it done faster, and I don't get why people think that works.

Cool. Blame the players for voicing their displeasure with a game.

I WILL. Because they're being overly dramatic and idiotic. I didn't need your permission, but it makes me feel better now that I have it. Thanks Crash!

Sub runs out before the month ends. I'll be there.

Hey at least I didn't create a "I Quit" thread. :p

Awesome! See ya there dude, been there!

Conversely, you are just one of those people that takes what happens to the minority and starts a smear campaign that it's an epidemic.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=506185. Here is a 46 page long thread on it just days old. It has been going on since beta. Thousands were and are effected by it. You claimed it doesnt exist because it didnt effect you on your commodore 64.

400k people quit playing in the first quarter... many more since then. Im sorry but you are the minority.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=506185. Here is a 46 page long thread on it just days old. It has been going on since beta. Thousands were and are effected by it. You claimed it doesnt exist because it didnt effect you on your commodore 64.

400k people quit playing in the first quarter... many more since then. Im sorry but you are the minority.

..... I don't think you know what the word minority means. if you are suggesting that everyone who quit, quit because of launcher problems that would mean ruffly 700k people quit with 1.3 million still playing. That means 700k would be the minority.

Jesus Christ. WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO SAY, Soluss?! WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO SAY BESIDES PR SPIN?! THAT'S NOT HOW BUSINESS WORKS!!!!!! When you get a defective printer, do you ask for them for exact printer schematics and software stuff on why your printer isn't working with Windows XP? NO. You DON'T. Do you ask them for a detailed analysis on a timetable of when they're gonna get it out? NO. It's ONLY MMO message boarders that do this. It just drives me nuts because there's NOTHING Bioware can say at this point to anybody about anything that's going to be remotely useful. 'Yes we're working on that,'. THAT'S IT, THAT'S ALL THEY CAN SAY. I don't get why people don't get this. ************ on the boards doesn't get it done faster, and I don't get why people think that works.
It's not that they think it works. It has more to do with the inner peace they feel from flamethrowing a fireside chat.

If I bought a new printer and it was broke, I would return it to the store. You cant do that with software man. If I liked the printer, they would give me a new one in its place. Bad analogy.

Im sorry what you dont understand. Most MMOs have communication with their fan base. Devs interact in threads and explain things. This one does not. No, 5 worthless questions a week are not communication. I pay for service then I expect to recieve service. What we have is a half baked game that is going down the tubes. I want to be reassured that the game is going SOMEWHERE before I continue to pay them.

You lump me with the "haters", im sure... but a hater I am not. Im just a customer that doesnt want to see this game goes down the tubes. If it is going down the tubes, then I dont want to continue wasting my money on it. Im trying to support them with my sub but its looking bleak.

If you owned a company and everyone thought you company was taking a ****... would you keep silent and let it continue to take a **** or would you try to stop it?

And if you think SW:TOR is the first MMO where "countless" people quit playing...because "it sucks and lacks content etc" everyone here is wrong. Every MMO has the same issues these days...because it's WAY too easy to level up to max lv. Back in the good old days of EQ...where leveling was a full time job...people were not max level in a few weeks burning thur content faster than companies can make it. That and the end game raiding content WAS tough, and took months to gear players up too. Huge grinds that a lot of people are not into these days etc

I see these types of threads from different MMO games all the time. The Secret World is out only a few weeks, and people have "nothing to do" there too it seems lol. But I refuse to play a game like EQ again. What was I thinking back then lol

Edited by Shissan

..... I don't think you know what the word minority means. if you are suggesting that everyone who quit, quit because of launcher problems that would mean ruffly 700k people quit with 1.3 million still playing. That means 700k would be the minority.

Holy crap man. If you think im claiming that 400k+ people quit over the launcher then you have problems. If you really think 1.3 million people are still playing this game then I have a lump of **** that I would like to sell you.

If you are going to comment then read the whole conversation. He claimed "atleast this game didnt have a launcher problem like WoW for 11 months" I pointed out his claim is wrong.

Edited by Soluss

And if you think SW:TOR is the first MMO where "countless" people quit playing...because "it sucks and lacks content etc" everyone here is wrong. Every MMO has the same issues these days...because it's WAY too easy to level up to max lv. Back in the good old days of EQ...where leveling was a full time job...people were not max level in a few weeks burning thur content faster than companies can make it. That and the end game raiding content WAS tough, and took months to gear players up too. Huge grinds that a lot of people are not into these days etc

I see these types of threads from different MMO games all the time. The Secret World is out only a few weeks, and people have "nothing to do" there too it seems lol. But I refuse to play a game like EQ again. What was I thinking back then lol

Countless MMOs dont cost over 200 million bucks to make. Countless MMOs dont pay a fee to Lucasarts. If you think this game is a success you are wrong sorry.

Hehe. I never said it didn't exist - you provided that line for me. I would thank you except they weren't my words. I won't ask to prove those thousands you mention because it too doesn't matter. Whether or not I am in the minority is also subjective. Without numbers, everything is subjective. But if it improves your self confidence I'll happily concede that you are right on every count. Edited by GalacticKegger

Countless MMOs dont cost over 200 million bucks to make. Countless MMOs dont pay a fee to Lucasarts. If you think this game is a success you are wrong sorry.

Where did I say it was a success or the cost to make this game? I said...I see these types of threads A LOT from different games. People like to complain and claim "where is the content?!?! There is nothing to do and I am quitting!"

Why is it that I can go to The Secret World and see people complaining about being bored with no content to play there too? If I got a dollar for all these threads...I would be a rich man by now.

Hehe. I never said it didn't exist - you provided that line for me. I would thank you except they weren't my words. I won't ask to prove those thousands you mention because it too doesn't matter. Whether or not I am in the minority is also subjective. Without numbers, everything is subjective. But if it makes you feel better I'll happily concede that you are right on every count.

"At least the launcher wasn't crashing like WoW's did for 11 months. "

Your exact words.

Where did I say it was a success or the cost to make this game? I said...I see these types of threads A LOT from different games. People like to complain and claim "where is the content?!?! There is nothing to do and I am quitting!"

Why is it that I can go to The Secret World and see people complaining about being bored with no content to play there too? If I got a dollar for all these threads...I would be a rich man by now.

Shows a problem with MMOs then doesnt it?

And how does 8 people beating up on one droid take combat to a new level.

From the countless hours I've played my gameplay experience has been the exact opposite of that, 8 droids trying to kill me and my companion.

What you are referring to is EV and I think its pretty sad to think one raid encouter summarizes everything this game has to offer.

I'm playing it for Star Wars, and Bioware has showed me amazing games, and had the power to change my feelings in their previous games and some Class Stories. This if off-topic, but just putting it out there. It's life. L2P in it.

From the countless hours I've played my gameplay experience has been the exact opposite of that, 8 droids trying to kill me and my companion.

What you are referring to is EV and I think its pretty sad to think one raid encouter summarizes everything this game has to offer.

Touche! Cept that one raid encounter was the first very encounter of the very first raid they launched with. To say 8 people beating up on a droid isnt heroic, and then make your game's first raid start with 8 people beating up on one droid seems kind of contradictory.

And yeah I agree with 8 droids beating on you and your companion is heroic. Scratch that, packs of 3-4. All of them standing around idly until you run up to them and engage.

Edited by Gersidi

"At least the launcher wasn't crashing like WoW's did for 11 months. "

Your exact words.

Indeed. WoW's launcher was so widespread unstable that it took 12 months (Patch 1.8.3) to fix it. They were giving out free time like candy for the first six months the game was live it was so bad. In that patch they incorporated a major Add-On fix because implementing add-ons was crashing the front end.

To answer your question honestly ... does the launcher crash? For some I'm sure it does. Is it a dealbreaker? For some I'm sure it is. But since there are also people in these forums who rant that voice-acted questgiver dialogue is a dealbreaker. They really lied about that one too I'd imagine. Regardless, if imperfection in a video game is a dealbreaker for some, then I honestly feel sorry for them.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Touche! Cept that one raid encounter was the first very encounter of the very first raid they launched with. To say 8 people beating up on a droid isnt heroic, and then make your game's first raid start with 8 people beating up on one droid seems kind of contradictory.

And yeah I agree with 8 droids beating on you and your companion is heroic. Scratch that, packs of 3-4. All of them standing around idly until you run up to them and engage.

Well the charge to the prison was kind of heroic

Until you realized, "Ah @#@#, in order to get in 8 of us have to beat up on this one droid."

Well...wasnt it Two huge turbo laser towers, some mobs, and THEN a huge droid? Seems like the prison atleast threw a bunch of other **** at you first.

it's both. if you go back and look at the video's during development there are A LOT of broken promises...even recently...they said we'd be getting updates frequently...a bit back they SAID monthly..at least.

but people also had way to high of expectations for this game...for example some expected it to be innovative and break the mold even though they said from the get-go that it was going to be like WoW.

in the end which is more to blame? broken promises and crappy design decisions...too many shortcuts taken and too many downright embarrassing bugs...too linear...half-arsed implimentations..etc.

it's both. if you go back and look at the video's during development there are A LOT of broken promises...even recently...they said we'd be getting updates frequently...a bit back they SAID monthly..at least.

but people also had way to high of expectations for this game...for example some expected it to be innovative and break the mold even though they said from the get-go that it was going to be like WoW.

in the end which is more to blame? broken promises and crappy design decisions...too many shortcuts taken and too many downright embarrassing bugs...too linear...half-arsed implimentations..etc.

That's why I included the last link in the original OP. I really do cut Bioware some slack, especially Mr. Ohlen. For all intents and purposes I really do believe that they meant to give us this "epic" innovative experience. He really did believe EA was going to keep the team together and pump out this monthly, voiced, high-quality content that now appears to be, an ... unrealistic expectation.

Now I digress. At this point given layoffs etc, if Bioware actually came out and made further grandiose claims knowing what they know do, I would tend to fall in the broken promise camp.. i.e- bleed em while we can. But what is ticking so many people off right now is that they're not saying anything!

Edited by Gersidi