DPS vs. Healer or Both

Killi

Hey guys,

Lvl 15 here commando here, so far I've got 3 points in the healer tree (on the left) and 3 on the middle tree. Now, I'm unsure as to whether pursuing both would be a viable option.

I love how we can shoot the **** out of pretty much everything, but also like the idea of healing. Can you still do good damage when healing? Can you still heal enough while doing good damage? Can you do both well?

Cheers for the advice in advance

Killi

I'm a 29 pure combat medic and loving it.

My DPS is still ok when I solo (with a DPS companion). I can handle Heroic 2+ quests solo with healing my DPS companion and I keep getting compliments from groups that I join that I'm doing a great job keeping them alive so that's always very nice to see and gives me that nice warm and fuzzy feeling that I'm doing something useful :)

When BW put's in dualspeccing, I will definately set up a DPS spec as well, but for now, I'm very satisfied with being a combat medic.

I would suggest, go pure Combat Medic OR DPS. try it for a few levels and flashpoints. Then respec to the other one, try that and see what gives you the most satisfaction.

I would personally advice against hybrid specs, but it works for some people.

I'm a 29 pure combat medic and loving it.

My DPS is still ok when I solo (with a DPS companion). I can handle Heroic 2+ quests solo with healing my DPS companion and I keep getting compliments from groups that I join that I'm doing a great job keeping them alive so that's always very nice to see and gives me that nice warm and fuzzy feeling that I'm doing something useful :)

When BW put's in dualspeccing, I will definately set up a DPS spec as well, but for now, I'm very satisfied with being a combat medic.

I would suggest, go pure Combat Medic OR DPS. try it for a few levels and flashpoints. Then respec to the other one, try that and see what gives you the most satisfaction.

I would personally advice against hybrid specs, but it works for some people.

I'm not going PURE CM, gonna spice it up a little with 31/9/1

I'm only level 18 now, but I'm doing pretty much the same sort of solo stuff as you. Good times! :)

I would suggest AGAINST splitting points in the talent trees (at least until you get the final tier)

Obviously Gunnery and Assault have no problem with DPS, but the Combat Medic Tree can hold his ground on hiw own way - SuperCharge Cell --> Spam Charged Bolts at 110% damage

Remember that you will have a FULL TIME DPS companion, and they hit like a truck (compare his stat with yours in the Character sheet)

So far I've had no problems downing elite, champion mobs. Plus it's always easier to find a spot as a healer =)

Syl

I would suggest AGAINST splitting points in the talent trees (at least until you get the final tier)

Obviously Gunnery and Assault have no problem with DPS, but the Combat Medic Tree can hold his ground on hiw own way - SuperCharge Cell --> Spam Charged Bolts at 110% damage

Remember that you will have a FULL TIME DPS companion, and they hit like a truck (compare his stat with yours in the Character sheet)

So far I've had no problems downing elite, champion mobs. Plus it's always easier to find a spot as a healer =)

Syl

Dang it Syl... I didn't think about that... :) So straight up 35 CM and then 6 w/e after the CM tree is done?

Stradoo, when I say "try pure CM or pure DPS" I obviously mean until the final tier skill.

Once I have that, I will also spend my last few points points in the other 2 trees to get some good early skills out of them like the aim boost from tier 1 Gunnery for example.

But I advise against putting for example 10 points in CM and 8 in Gunnery as a level 27 Commando because then you are just gimping yourself while leveling imho.

It's better to focus on healing or DPS. Just try it for a few levels and see what you like best.

The first respec is free. I don't know what the ones after that cost but I only assume it won't be overly expensive the first few times.

Stradoo, when I say "try pure CM or pure DPS" I obviously mean until the final tier skill.

Once I have that, I will also spend my last few points points in the other 2 trees to get some good early skills out of them like the aim boost from tier 1 Gunnery for example.

But I advise against putting for example 10 points in CM and 8 in Gunnery as a level 27 Commando because then you are just gimping yourself while leveling imho.

It's better to focus on healing or DPS. Just try it for a few levels and see what you like best.

The first respec is free. I don't know what the ones after that cost but I only assume it won't be overly expensive the first few times.

In that case, I'm going to stick to my original build, but reset my trees and focus first on CM until I get Bacta Infusion.

It wasn't really obvious to me what you meant by saying "Pure CM." To me, that meant going 37 deep in the CM tree. :)

Cheers for the advice guys. Think I'm gonna go medic up to Kolto bomb, then gunnery up to grav round. From then on I'll decide where the rest goes.

That way I'll have decent healing, with decent DPS, and it shouldn't hold me back too much.

I'm not keen on just sitting back and healing all the time, but don't like letting my friends die :p

Think it will be a good compromise :)

Cheers for the advice guys. Think I'm gonna go medic up to Kolto bomb, then gunnery up to grav round. From then on I'll decide where the rest goes.

That way I'll have decent healing, with decent DPS, and it shouldn't hold me back too much.

I'm not keen on just sitting back and healing all the time, but don't like letting my friends die :p

Think it will be a good compromise :)

Can't do that. You'll finish 1 point short of Kolto Bomb if you go full Gunnery.

I'm in the same position. I can either be great at DPS (and also make those around me better by lowering a strong/elite/champ's armor) and decent at healing or great at healing and decent at DPS.

I play with a Vanguard and haven't even been in support cell with the 2 of us having 2 Dornes out. I'll still go high enough in CM to take Supercharge cell but probably nothing after that.

Edited by Spenzkrieg

Can't do that. You'll finish 1 point short of Kolto Bomb if you go full Gunnery.

I'm in the same position. I can either be great at DPS (and also make those around me better by lowering a strong/elite/champ's armor) and decent at healing or great at healing and decent at DPS.

I play with a Vanguard and haven't even been in support cell with the 2 of us having 2 Dornes out. I'll still go high enough in CM to take Supercharge cell but probably nothing after that.

I've done it here with points left to spare...both grav round and kolto bomb...

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800McRMoZrckzo.1

Of course you can do a real hybrid build, it just means you have to give up either bacta infusion or demolition round. The question is whether the stuff you are getting in exchange in the other tree is worth it.

I am very seriously considering this build with 24 points in Combat Medic and 17 points in Gunnery:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800bfRRozfdzZMIkbRb.1

In exchange for giving up preventive medicine and bacta infusion, you get a serious boost to fire power with grav rounds, plus some great survivability improvements with tenacious defense and concussive force. Seems like a trade off worth considering to me.

Until they implement a dual spec, this hybrid build, at least on paper, seems like it could do it all, heal or dps, pve or pvp, fairly well, and I don't want to be respecing constantly. Of course, I won't make up my mind until I hit 50 and can test builds out properly, but for now this is my plan.

Edited by Chris_G
spelling