An idea for The Pit

Belpheghor

I've noticed when it comes to The Pit i.e. Huttball that players are pretty strongly divided into loving it or hating it.

It does seem a bit out of place when compared to the other WZs. It doesn't really make much sense when thinking about the SW lore too. Jedi and Sith playing sports?

Since half the player base seems to simply play The Pit as a sort of deathmatch map and ignore the ball, why not make it into just that, a pure deathmatch?

The story would make soooooo much more sense then. The Hutts capture your 2 teams and force them to battle to the death for their entertainment. This would fall more in line with SW lore, since we all know Hutts love to watch a good blood bath.

That and we'd be rid of the horrible one liners from the announcers like Baron Deathmark, who hasn't got sick of lines like "but don't kick the ball, Hutts don't have feet", etc.

The Pit map would be great for a pure deathmatch, heck, I'd even throw a couple more traps in it.

I'd like to start by saying that your idea is terrible. Half of the population loves Huttball - according to you - so you want to completely change it?

If anything, they should release different Huttball maps, and make the queues either for Huttball, or other warzones.

I'd like to start by saying that your idea is terrible. Half of the population loves Huttball - according to you - so you want to completely change it?

If anything, they should release different Huttball maps, and make the queues either for Huttball, or other warzones.

I'd also like to point out, that the other half of the population are roleplayers worrying about lore!!!

PvP doesn't need lore, and this map doesn't need to be a DM because most players can't grasp objective based PvP.

Working just fine.

"players can't grasp objective based PvP'

I disagree, I think they can, but they CHOOSE not to. I hear from a lot of peeps that simply go for kills in this WZ. A lot of peeps don't want or care to play with the ball frankly. The premise isn't exactly complex, even a 12 year old can figure out you need to get the ball to the other side of the map, but which is more fun, messing around with a ball, or simply hunting people down?

Granted you CAN do both obviously, but I think it would make tons more sense just to turn it into a deathmatch.

Huttball is the single most popular Warzone (it received more #1 rankings than all other maps combined in my Ranking thread).

Changing it would make players unhappy. Unhappy players quit. Quitting players empty the servers. Empty servers means you don't get to play anymore.

+5 long live huttball, the only good pvp map

But it really doesn't make any sense, the premise of the WZ is so odd to begin with. The other WZs at least tie in to the game, just trying to find a way to save this WZ by giving it a more logical basis.

That and it'd be way more fun as an all out deathmatch. I'd scratch most of Baron Deathmarks nonsense and pump in some Hutt laughs when people die lol, c'mon it'd be way more fun.

But it really doesn't make any sense, the premise of the WZ is so odd to begin with. The other WZs at least tie in to the game, just trying to find a way to save this WZ by giving it a more logical basis.

That and it'd be way more fun as an all out deathmatch. I'd scratch most of Baron Deathmarks nonsense and pump in some Hutt laughs when people die lol, c'mon it'd be way more fun.

Good point. Hopefully this changes and they take the cut scenes out of my warzones ASAP. I'm not going into warzones for the story.

"players can't grasp objective based PvP'

I disagree, I think they can, but they CHOOSE not to. I hear from a lot of peeps that simply go for kills in this WZ. A lot of peeps don't want or care to play with the ball frankly. The premise isn't exactly complex, even a 12 year old can figure out you need to get the ball to the other side of the map, but which is more fun, messing around with a ball, or simply hunting people down?

Trying to score is more fun. I wish there were more maps with the unique feel of Huttball. I can go ahead and try to kill people any day - and in fact, the other warzones really are deathmatches for stretches of them. Even playing the objectives perfectly, there's still the need to kill the other team in them. On top of that, one of the warzones they previewed at E3 was, if I recall, a basically a pure deathmatch.

Huttball is great, and a good change of pace from the other warzones precisely because its far less about killing people than anything else.

I got sick of Huttball before the server merges and WZ 'simulations' when it was Huttball x 5 times, Alderaan, Huttball x 5 times, Void star, Huttball x 5 times....... Now that we get and even spread of the WZ maps I'm enjoying it again.

That said, I would enjoy a deathmatch style map..it would be just like and 8v8 arena :)

Edited by PalihoJ

the simple fact is that huttball is variety. and a variety of content is what people like. changing huttball wouldn't not be happily embraced by the majority of the PvP community.

A lot of people want deathmatch stuff. All that needs to happen to accomplish this is for people to go to the Outlaw's Den. Now, I agree that the Den needs to be more lucrative in terms of rewards, etc. for engaging in combat there. But for a lot of people it's a matter of pitting "skill" vs. "skill". So just go there and do it, and farm some chests while you're at it.

I like huttball. It's one of the few maps that actually emphasizes the z-axis, and unlike the others it has a moving objective so the warzone has more of a flow, and the best part about it is that it IS way different than any of the other warzones. I'd like to see more huttball maps with different layouts, and just in general I'd like to see more maps that move beyond "capture the static objective/defend the static objective you've captured".

In general, variety good, stagnation bad.

The WZ doesn't need saving. Most of the hardcore PVPers (at least on my server) love it. One thing they've needed since launch though is the ability to choose which WZ you queue up for, and to see how many are q'd for that WZ so you can make an informed decision.

PvP doesn't need lore, and this map doesn't need to be a DM because most players can't grasp objective based PvP.

Working just fine.

QFT

I blame the leaderboard and medal system. 95% of the PvP base can't seem to grasp the concept that it may not be their job to put up 500k damage and whine on the forums claiming that others are overpowered. This is WHY we have objective-based PvP and not deathmatch PvP. Good grief the river of tears would overflow if there was a deathmatch map.

QFT

I blame the leaderboard and medal system. 95% of the PvP base can't seem to grasp the concept that it may not be their job to put up 500k damage and whine on the forums claiming that others are overpowered. This is WHY we have objective-based PvP and not deathmatch PvP. Good grief the river of tears would overflow if there was a deathmatch map.

Best counter point I've read, touche sir. Hadn't thought of that angle, the forums would rage more with kiddie tears, true enough. I suppose I've always thought The Pit could be a bit more serious than just chasing some silly ball around I guess. Never felt right even in beta to me, just doesn't fit.

The lore doesn't make sense in the slightest, I agree.

That said, I do like huttball, it's a warzone that gives you way more options than the other ones. Even if your team is undergeared, superior strategy can win Huttball, which is much harder in other warzones.

I also detest huttball sometimes, because of the masses of brainless ****tards who don't know what to do and usually try to tell YOU their fail strategies instead: "I go stand at the goal line, please pass to me!", while both teams are effectively destroying each other and your team now basically has an empty spot. Nor do these idiots stand anywhere near a viable pass position, they just stand stealthed at the other side all match long and expect you to slog it through the pit even if you are facing a team that knows what it is doing.

Edited by Fdzzaigl