EA shareholders meeting: over/under 300k subs?

DarksideWK

I'm going to put my guess in for the sub base. I'm going to guess they report a 450k "player base" which we can understand as 150k trial accounts and 300k subs. Over or under?

<edited for spelling>

Add a million to that number.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity. Say they released the numbers and it was in the order of 1.5-2 million (only speaking hypothetically here). Would that shut the doom sayers up? or would they just conveniently ignore that? lol

Even if half the world's population would be subbed to SW:ToR, the whining will never stop. It's just those people ...

Just out of curiosity. Say they released the numbers and it was in the order of 1.5-2 million (only speaking hypothetically here). Would that shut the doom sayers up? or would they just conveniently ignore that? lol

Well, to most, the game would still suck, was supposed to have 2 million players, and still isn't worth $15 a month.

Of course, if I were a betting person, I would never, ever, ever, put money on a million plus active subscribers.

I think that depends on whether or not the fanboys will shut up if the numbers are announced to be from 0-500,000.

I think that depends on whether or not the fanboys will shut up if the numbers are announced to be from 0-500,000.
Speaking as a fanboy, if the current numbers continue to allow me to play then it doesn't matter what that number is. Edited by GalacticKegger

Speaking as a fanboy, if the current numbers continue to allow me to play then it doesn't matter what that number is.

Then it doesn't matter how high the numbers are, there will always be whining.

Edited by Tuscad

How are they gonna treat lvl 15 accounts as since there is no time limit..(shouldn't be considered a sub)

gonna have see how they word the the number of subs/users..

any who.. 900k subs (including lvl 15's who subbed)

after one month of GW2 is live..

How are they gonna treat lvl 15 accounts as since there is no time limit..(shouldn't be considered a sub)

gonna have see how they word the the number of subs/users..

any who.. 900k subs (including lvl 15's who subbed)

after one month of GW2 is live..

Yep, a FREE to play game will result in a reduction of subscribers, not to mention that atleast SWTOR actually has raid content, will be getting more, the GW2 world is smaller, and has about 1/3 of the content SWTOR had at launch.

Note: I do not hate GW2, it looks rather good, and i intend to play it alongside SWTOR, why not? One is free.

Edited by Feeblezak

Yep, a FREE to play game will result in a reduction of subscribers, not to mention that atleast SWTOR actually has raid content, will be getting more, the GW2 world is smaller, and has about 1/3 of the content SWTOR had at launch.

Note: I do not hate GW2, it looks rather good, and i intend to play it alongside SWTOR, why not? One is free.

Good. I'm glad you will be playing both. Tho it isn't free. You buy it and it doesn't have a sub. But that's great if you want to keep your Swtor sub. 2 mmo's one sub and a box price. Win/Win

Good. I'm glad you will be playing both. Tho it isn't free. You buy it and it doesn't have a sub. But that's great if you want to keep your Swtor sub. 2 mmo's one sub and a box price. Win/Win

Ah yes, its technically buy to play, but no matter.

Atleast they haven't gone stupidly-over-the-top with microtransactions in GW2 it seems. It all seems fairly reasonable. Even the mystic chest stuff looks reasonable considering you can get the items in them from daily rewards. This is coming from a venomous hard-core opponent of the Microtransaction model.

It will be up the SWTOR to attract ppl back.. after GW2..

that 600k (what or ever the sub count) can easily climb back up.. since ppl only have to resub back to the game..

As for me, gonna stay subed till september but if GW2 pans out well.....

Ah yes, its technically buy to play, but no matter.

Atleast they haven't gone stupidly-over-the-top with microtransactions in GW2 it seems. It all seems fairly reasonable. Even the mystic chest stuff looks reasonable considering you can get the items in them from daily rewards. This is coming from a venomous hard-core opponent of the Microtransaction model.

Well, to your point I think LotRo left a sour taste in everyone's mouth for microtransactions. We should be good with ArenaNet. If it turns out that we aren't I'd gladly take that back. Nevertheless, without a sub means not much of a loss for Tor. People will reasonably be able to afford both.

Just to add... I don't think SW should or would go into in-game stores. They aren't built for it, or designed rather. It would take a completely new approach. If they did it would end up turning out to be like LoTro and that cash shop model is terrible.

From March to May they lost 400,000 subscribers. If we assume it continues that trajectory than I'd say it's more like 500k-700k. I'm guessing 650k.

They went from 1.7 mil to 1.3 mil from March to may. The same trajectory would have them between 900k and 1mil. It may be a little lower because the sub loss seemed to get even worse in May, but then even out in June (subjective, not official info). But if it's anywhere near 500k (let alone 300k) then that means the loss rate went from 25%, which isn't good but not a disaster either, to around 75%, which is very much a disaster.

I think it'll be between 800-900k, hoping for closer to 1 mil.

I hooked up with a friendly casual raiding guild. People are hilarious and fun to raid with. Regardless of the numbers I'm still playing because I'm in a good circle of people. This is supposed to be one of the major pluses of MMO's....hard to see sometimes.

Just to add... I don't think SW should or would go into in-game stores. They aren't built for it, or designed rather. It would take a completely new approach.

The Legacy system works just like a cash shop with credits instead of dollars. They could just add a $ amount to the legacy stuff instead of dailies for creds and throw other vanity items in there.

I am going to book mark this thread and recheck it sometime in the fall when EA's real numbers will show up in the finacials that Ea cant hide anymore or fudge or inflate or use data outdated to show as current to their shareholders. Hrmmm maybe the first part of next year to get the correct numbers. Either way after the 6 th month subs are completely out of the system the real numbers wont show up on paper until somewhere around that time.

So we can see who won the sub numbers war then.

Giggity giggity giggity giggity goo !

The sub loss and trend is eerily similar to AoC although not as sharp as Aoc's was.

1.2 million shipped copies 850 k bought 450 k subscribed afer 30 days 250-275 k at the 3 month mark , 6th month dropped to 150-175 k . Then 7th and 8th month 100k -120 k by the time it hit the 9 thand 10th month it went below 100k to somewhere around 70-80 k world wide at best.

All the same gripping the forums all the same "there are no sub losses" "games doing fine" " moderators deleting post " All the same speculation. Then the finacials came out months later proving the down hill trend and most speculations were correct.

Best part was going back and seeing many months later in the same forums all the fanbois and game defenders were now the ones in the forums gripping about all the things that were wrong with the game that everyone else had already stated many months prior. Way to after the fact.

Personally I wanted this game to succeed but that reality is looking grimm

Edited by Kreedlore

I am going to book mark this thread and recheck it sometime in the fall when EA's real numbers will show up in the finacials that Ea cant hide anymore or fudge or inflate or use data outdated to show as current to their shareholders. Hrmmm maybe the first part of next year to get the correct numbers. Either way after the 6 th month subs are completely out of the system the real numbers wont show up on paper until somewhere around that time.

So we can see who won the sub numbers war then.

Giggity giggity giggity giggity goo !

The sub loss and trend is eerily similar to AoC although not as sharp as Aoc's was.

1.2 million shipped copies 850 k bought 450 k subscribed afer 30 days 250-275 k at the 3 month mark , 6th month dropped to 150-175 k . Then 7th and 8th month 100k -120 k by the time it hit the 9 thand 10th month it went below 100k to somewhere around 70-80 k world wide at best.

All the same gripping the forums all the same "there are no sub losses" "games doing fine" " moderators deleting post " All the same speculation. Then the finacials came out months later proving the down hill trend and most speculations were correct.

Best part was going back and seeing many months later in the same forums all the fanbois and game defenders were now the ones in the forums gripping about all the things that were wrong with the game that everyone else had already stated many months prior. Way to after the fact.

Personally I wanted this game to succeed but that reality is looking grimm

Ah but AoC had horrible horrible support and zero end game content......

A very low player base would explain why we have gone into maintenance mode only and no new content is being produced.

I suspect they will report somewhere in the 700k but 100k will be free trials (which cause they are endless doesn't matter if the people are active), 50k will be people that refered themself for the reward (one month only subs) and 200k will be people that had faith in the game and got 6 months on day one which runs out in 25 days or so. Many of who wont renew as very very little new content has come out or will be coming out soon.

That puts me at 350k overall subs. Given the need for 500k to remain profitable I hope EA and Bioware can turn it around. But given recent communitcation and updates I suspect they all have something more important on their minds.

Ah but AoC had horrible horrible support and zero end game content......

I agree with this. AOC had god awful end game content on launch, but at least it was slightly revolutionary with the combat

Ok this game had huge ambitions but clearly it wont be sustained, stop finding reasons to hate on the game lol. These forums are full of such fear that the game is going to die, that and people feeding of everyone elses fear and trolling :D