The 10 commandments of Flash Points (or any group content, really)

Brewski

I am not claiming to speak for the community as a whole, so this is more or less just my personal opinion. However, I would like to think I share these onions with most of my fellow players.

So, with that in mind, here is my crack at general rules that should always be followed in group content. I try to follow this model when I play, and I enjoy it when everyone else does as well. (It's a bit long, but consider the highlighted heading to be the tl;dr; as the subsequent paragraph is simply me reiterating/expanding on the rule.)

1) Thou shalt have fun.

This is a game we play for fun people, and you should always keep that in mind. These commandments all center around this one concept. Let's make the game as fun as possible for as many people as possible. Without that, nothing else matters.

2) Thou shalt stay respectful and civil at all times.

My father-in-law likes to say "Don't argue with a pig. The pig will enjoy it, and you'll get dirty." No matter how much the person you are talking to may deserve a good tongue lashing, it's not worth it. If you can't resolve a problem in a civil manner, Report, Ignore and Kick are your friend. Select the appropriate one, and move on to enjoying the rest of the game. (See #1 above.)

3) Thou shalt help thine fellow player learn the flash point.

Always keeping #1 and #2 in mind, you should try to help out new and inexperienced players learn rather than complain (or just quietly stew) over the fact that they are not running as efficiently as they could. This is how new and inexperienced plays become experienced veterans and help others, and it's a cycle worth preserving and building.

4) Thou shalt alert thine group if thou hast not done the flash point before.

Similar to #3, if you are new to a flash point, make sure your group knows. No need to go on about it, as it's usually sufficient to just say something like this when you enter the instance: "Hey guys, just so you know, I've never done this one before, so if there's anything I need to know, feel free to point it out." You will usually find people happy to help out where needed, and more forgiving if they know you are learning and trying.

5) Thou shalt not roll Need unless Needed.

If the drop is equipable for your current character, and better than what you have, "Need" is appropriate option. In any other case, "Greed" should suffice. Even if your companion needs it, or an alt needs it, or you just want to sell it because you think you are getting shafted on drops. Need should be the exception, not the rule.

I know a lot of people argue about this, but to me it seems pretty straight forward. If you are in a group or see a player operating differently, reference rules #2 for how to deal, and always keep #1 in mind.

6) Thou shalt let people watch the cut scenes in story mode.

When doing level appropriate story mode flash points, the default response should be to watch all cut scenes unless the entire group agrees to skip before beginning. In story mode, odds are good someone has not seen the content or would like to watch it again, and they should be given the right to do so if they want, even if three others would prefer to skip.

7) Thou shalt skip the cut scenes in hard mode.

Similar to #6, skipping the cut scenes should be the default for hard mode flash points unless the entire group agrees to watch them before starting. If you have not seen the content, go watch in story mode even if you are over leveled. Most flash points can be soloed at level 50 if there is no other option. I sympathize with people who want to watch it every time, as I am one of them, but hard mode flash points are primarily for people trying to gear up, and that should be respected.

8) Thou shalt not rush ahead unless thine group has agreed to a speed run.

Leave Leroy in the other game, and wait for your group to assemble before rushing into the next fight. If you want a speed run (where the default is to rush as fast as possible all the way through) make sure your group agrees in advance.

9) Thou shalt assist thine group in any way possible, not just by sticking to your assigned role.

Obviously make sure you are fulfilling your main role first. That said, just because you are a healer or tank doesn't mean you can't throw out the occasional interrupt/DPS burst. Just because you are DPS doesn't mean you can't pull agro off the healer or toss a heal yourself if they are having trouble keeping up. Fundamentally, flash points are about team work.

10) Thou shalt remember to thank your group when exiting.

This should be a no-brainer, but a lot of people seem to forget it, especially if the group has not been the best they've had. Always remember #1 and #2.

Well that's my take on it anyway. Feel free to update, append, or add your own. :)

Edited by Brewski
Corrected a wording issue with #9 saying a tank could heal.

I was going to come on here and blast you and say by what authority do you have to list commandants for playing this game, but after reading, this is actually a very good post with 10 good points. I pretty much try to adhere to it by nature of my gameplay as well, so kudos.

That Need/Greed thing is especially on point. I don't even roll greed if an item pops up that the character I am playing can't use and the stats are better suited for another group member - I just pass and hope they get the roll.

BJ

When doing level appropriate story mode flash points, the default response should be to watch all cut scenes unless the entire group agrees to skip before beginning. In story mode, odds are good someone has not seen the content or would like to watch it again, and they should be given the right to do so if they want, even if three others would prefer to skip.

Similar to #6, skipping the cut scenes should be the default for hard mode flash points unless the entire group agrees to watch them before starting. If you have not seen the content, go watch in story mode even if you are over leveled. Most flash points can be soloed at level 50 if there is no other option. I sympathize with people who want to watch it every time, as I am one of them, but hard mode flash points are primarily for people trying to gear up, and that should be respected.

Um ... no. 6 and 7 are one in the same. Let people watch cutscenes, thats why theyre there in BOTH modes and are part of the games main attraction. Unless your "burning bush" somehow told you that there is more of a difference between SM and HM other than difficulty. See your own commandments 1 and 2 for further explanation.

Um ... no. 6 and 7 are one in the same. Let people watch cutscenes, thats why theyre there in BOTH modes and are part of the games main attraction. Unless your "burning bush" somehow told you that there is more of a difference between SM and HM other than difficulty. See your own commandments 1 and 2 for further explanation.

It's really difficult to get the community to agree on how this should be handled for some reason.

However, considering story mode contains the word story, it does seem that this mode is intended for following the lore. I agree with OP. Hard modes are more for gearing, and the default should be skip cut scenes.

No actually they are not the same, and the OP has it right. At 50, you are running for BH comms, not story. 9 out of 10 times, the other group members want to be in and out as soon as possible, so try being considerate for their feelings and not just your own.

Very good post that is right on point with each item.

Sadly, there will always be people like the one that posted in this thread that 'nobody tells me how to play'. This inevitably leads to the breaking of several of the 'commandments'. There are enough of them that pretty much every PUG will have have at least one and even guild runs can have them.

I am not claiming to speak for the community as a whole, so this is more or less just my personal opinion. However, I would like to think I share these onions with most of my fellow players.

So, with that in mind, here is my crack at general rules that should always be followed in group content. I try to follow this model when I play, and I enjoy it when everyone else does as well. (It's a bit long, but consider the highlighted heading to be the tl;dr; as the subsequent paragraph is simply me reiterating/expanding on the rule.)

1) Thou shalt have fun.

This is a game we play for fun people, and you should always keep that in mind. These commandments all center around this one concept. Let's make the game as fun as possible for as many people as possible. Without that, nothing else matters.

2) Thou shalt stay respectful and civil at all times.

My father-in-law likes to say "Don't argue with a pig. The pig will enjoy it, and you'll get dirty." No matter how much the person you are talking to may deserve a good tongue lashing, it's not worth it. If you can't resolve a problem in a civil manner, Report, Ignore and Kick are your friend. Select the appropriate one, and move on to enjoying the rest of the game. (See #1 above.)

3) Thou shalt help thine fellow player learn the flash point.

Always keeping #1 and #2 in mind, you should try to help out new and inexperienced players learn rather than complain (or just quietly stew) over the fact that they are not running as efficiently as they could. This is how new and inexperienced plays become experienced veterans and help others, and it's a cycle worth preserving and building.

Similar to #3, if you are new to a flash point, make sure your group knows. No need to go on about it, as it's usually sufficient to just say something like this when you enter the instance: "Hey guys, just so you know, I've never done this one before, so if there's anything I need to know, feel free to point it out." You will usually find people happy to help out where needed, and more forgiving if they know you are learning and trying.

5) Thou shalt not roll Need unless Needed.

If the drop is equipable for your current character, and better than what you have, "Need" is appropriate option. In any other case, "Greed" should suffice. Even if your companion needs it, or an alt needs it, or you just want to sell it because you think you are getting shafted on drops. Need should be the exception, not the rule.

I know a lot of people argue about this, but to me it seems pretty straight forward. If you are in a group or see a player operating differently, reference rules #2 for how to deal, and always keep #1 in mind.

Leave Leroy in the other game, and wait for your group to assemble before rushing into the next fight. If you want a speed run (where the default is to rush as fast as possible all the way through) make sure your group agrees in advance.

9) Thou shalt assist thine group in any way possible, not just by sticking to your assigned role.

Obviously make sure you are fulfilling your main role first. That said, just because you are a healer doesn't mean you can't throw out the occasional interrupt/DPS burst. Just because you are DPS doesn't mean you can't pull agro off the healer. Just because you are the tank, doesn't mean you can't toss a heal (if you are a spec that has one) when someone is hurting. Fundamentally, flash points are about team work.

10) Thou shalt remember to thank your group when exiting.

This should be a no-brainer, but a lot of people seem to forget it, especially if the group has not been the best they've had. Always remember #1 and #2.

Well that's my take on it anyway. Feel free to update, append, or add your own. :)

Easy peasy folks. Thanks OP!

Thanks for the positive feedback from those who provided it. Like I said, I like to think most people in the game agree with me, at least in principle, and it's nice to see that. :)

Just to clarify my stance on #6 and #7: I personally would watch the cut scenes every time, even in hard mode, as I really enjoy them. Even if things ultimately go the same way, I often hear a new line from another class, or some other variation I find entertaining.

That said, in the interest of preserving #1 and #2, I concede to the majority, and recognize that most people running hard modes have been through the content many times and would prefer to skip it. It seems a logical middle ground to strike.

Some one should Chiseled this in Stone and then post a picture of himself decked out in a Jedi outfit holding the stone slabs.

I have no artistic ability myself, but I agree that would be pretty cool looking. :p

That Need/Greed thing is especially on point. I don't even roll greed if an item pops up that the character I am playing can't use and the stats are better suited for another group member - I just pass and hope they get the roll.

What gets me is when people roll Need on something that not only can they not even equip, but something that none of their companions can equip either. Happened to me the other day - the only class in the game that can equip electrostaffs is shadows / assassins people! Only a handful of companions can equip it! Gunslingers have no use for it!

I saw a Marauder do that once on Black Talon and make off with a sniper rifle when there was a Sniper on the run that really could have used it. Seriously not cool.

Edited by Ms_Sunlight

Oh boy, when people forsake this rule it really pushes my buttons. I never flame and don't kick anyone from the group unless they show up in greens and 13k HP for Lost Island, but not respecting this rule grants you a guaranteed /ignore once the Flashpoint is finished.

As non-tank you should simply never ever pull unless you're supposed to CC a mob.

As a tank you're supposed to pull as fast as the group can handle it without stressing the healer, which needs experience, knownledge about the healers gear and class and can be tricky. But of course you have to actually wait ultil everyone is in 30 yard range since you'll slow the run down otherwise since the group will lose their sprint buff and won't deal damage for a short time.

Once your gear simply gets so far ahead of the content you can start pulling almost whatever you like as an Assassin tank and just start killing it, in almost all cases as long as there are only strong and normal mobs you can solo the mob group without any help when using cooldowns.

There is one instance where pulling as a damage dealer is ok though - if you can kill everything you pull without needing any help or healing in less than 10 seconds you can pull the group. Example would be the courtyard on Ilum after the bonus boss where one DD can sprint ahead if sufficiently geared and solo the group at the northern most generator.

Good Post OP I agree with all of them.

Following on from #8

My main is running operations so I don't FP with him much, but I am running frequently on my healer. It is very stressful for the healer when people LOS us, or range us because they just want to run ahead leaving pretty much everyone else behind. Not only that, hitting whatever you want when you do it as well. Kills the fun for us healers lol. So many times this has happened, sometimes when the tank is still standing next to me. :p

A fine set of rules that are well put!

The only amendment I would interject is that everyone should expect that both SM and HM will play the cut scenes, unless it's specifically agreed in advance to skip them. The exception is to skip them, hence the initiative to build consensus around skipping them is the burden of those who want to skip.

There doesn't have to be a reason to see them - it is enough that one person simply likes to.

This has nothing to do with "story mode" vs. "hard mode". Story mode is simply a code-word for the difficulty level, which is "default".

Anyone and everyone has the right to enjoy what the game has to offer. No flashpoint/operation will be extended by more than a few minutes by letting them roll.

Other than that, I'm in agreement with them. Nice work!

Great stuff OP. I personally agree with everything but (6) Thou shalt let people watch the cut scenes in story mode and (7) Thou shalt skip the cut scenes in hard mode. Those should be be agreed upon up front with ties going to a random roll. Having a Dialogue/No Dialogue check box in the group finder would fix this I think. Nice work. :D

Obviously make sure you are fulfilling your main role first. That said, just because you are a healer doesn't mean you can't throw out the occasional interrupt/DPS burst. Just because you are DPS doesn't mean you can't pull agro off the healer. Just because you are the tank, doesn't mean you can't toss a heal (if you are a spec that has one) when someone is hurting. Fundamentally, flash points are about team work.

A great post, I'd just like to point out a slight flaw in this part. No tanking AC can cast any heals (other then self heals) but dps casting heals during down times when there is nothing to dps is a very useful and good idea as it can give time for a healer to regen some force if u are running with a sage/sorc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.