Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Obi-wan vs Revan

BrandonSM

I find it highly amusing that the time lines for TOR are full of Revan information, yet have absolutely nothing on the Exile. You know, the Jedi Master that completely rebuilt the Jedi Order?

I was actually saddened to learn that KoTOR II did not play as huge of a role in this game as the original did. Bioware seems to have almost completely ignored mentioning things that happened during it. I was highly dissapointed when I read the Revan book and found out her true fate, because she was my second fav character in the kotor series.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was actually saddened to learn that KoTOR II did not play as huge of a role in this game as the original did. Bioware seems to have almost completely ignored mentioning things that happened during it. I was highly dissapointed when I read the Revan book and found out her true fate, because she was my second fav character in the kotor series.

KOTOR 2 was done by Obsidian so I'm not sure Bioware could really do anything with the KOTOR 2 stuff. It's still sad though. The Exile is a great character, her ending was very disappointing.

KOTOR 2 was done by Obsidian so I'm not sure Bioware could really do anything with the KOTOR 2 stuff. It's still sad though. The Exile is a great character, her ending was very disappointing.

That's what I thought at first, but if that was the case then I don't think they could have had

Her appear as a Force Ghost in TOR

That's what I thought at first, but if that was the case then I don't think they could have had

Her appear as a Force Ghost in TOR

That's true, but it doesn't make sense for them to do that but not talk about anything else in KOTOR 2.

That's true, but it doesn't make sense for them to do that but not talk about anything else in KOTOR 2.

Honestly I think the blame can be laid at Karpyshyn's feet on this one. He did pretty much everything he could to marginalize The Exile in the Revan novel short of outright ignoring her character. He wrote the Jedi Knight story line and there is absolutely no mention of The Exile (from what I've seen so far, I actually can't play it for too long without taking a break, its pretty bad imo) beyond her being called "An old friend that gave Revan comfort during his imprisonment". Now, I might be remembering that line from the Yoda wana-be wrong, in fact I'm pretty sure I am, but that just makes her seem even more trivial. No mention of the Disciples of Surik rebuilding the Jedi Order, no mention of her training six (it was six, right?) Padawans simultaneously, no mention of her completely mastering the Light Side, no mention of anything beyond her being "An old friend".

Its tragic what this game (and BioWare in general and Obsidian to a smaller extent) has done to so many of the characters in the Old Republic era. I mean, they tried to make the Sunrider's out to be incompetents in some respects. That's almost unforgivable. The best thing they ever could have done though, is keep it so that the ancient Sith Lords (Sadow, Ragnos, Kun, Horde etc) were more powerful than the ones in the TOR time frame.

Also, as an aside, as long as people are taking Kreia's "Staring into the Heart of the Force" thing seriously, Kevin J. Anderson (the creator of many of the old Sith Lords) stated that they were soundly on a tier below the likes of Vader and Sidious. So now you guys that are taking the "Heart of the Force" thing seriously also need to consider this: Kreia said that the old Sith Lords make the current ones look like unruly children. Those same Sith Lords that make the current ones look like unruly children, bowed down and acknowledged that Emperor Palpatine was greater than they ever were. This is the Era that Obi-Wan thrived in, the era of the most powerful Sith to ever exist, and the most powerful Jedi Order in the history of the Republic (not the New Republic). He was considered by many to be The Master of Soresu, including Mace "I Beat Sidious in a Lightsaber Duel" Windu. That's all that should need to be said on this topic, but I doubt any of the die-hard Revan fanboys (not to be confused with fans) will pay any attention at all.

And I got a little off track there.

Revan is a tactical genius. I don't see why he would fall into Soresu's trap of letting your emotions get the better of him, like Anakin did. That's how Soresu works. An impenetrable defense that wears down your opponent until they become angry and frustrated and begin making mistakes. Dooku was losing his cool very much so in their last encounter.

You mean right before he calmly threw Obi-Wan across the room and dropped a catwalk on him? Yeah, REALLY losing his cool, there. He just said "You're not even a factor", and proceeded to duel and lose to Anakin because his plot armor and beard power failed him. But up until then, he was holding his own against BOTH Obi-Wan and Anakin. He schooled both of them on Geonosis, and never lost his cool. He acted before Obi-Wan could use his Trollesu. :p

You mean right before he calmly threw Obi-Wan across the room and dropped a catwalk on him? Yeah, REALLY losing his cool, there. He just said "You're not even a factor", and proceeded to duel and lose to Anakin because his plot armor and beard power failed him. But up until then, he was holding his own against BOTH Obi-Wan and Anakin. He schooled both of them on Geonosis, and never lost his cool. He acted before Obi-Wan could use his Trollesu. :p

This is actually pretty true despite the Jokes Captain Zone.

Anakin and Obi-wan were an unstoppable force for the most part. And the Count held his own really well against them.

I think Obi-wan would win a duel in the long -run with Reven, simply because Obi-wan faced his emotions and fears, and did not allow them to make him fall at anytime in his life as a Jedi; that takes incredible strength of will and courage. It is for this reason, that Obi-wan will stay in control of a battle, and win with intelligence and calm as he did against Anakin. Edited by cool-dude

I think Lucas(arts) controls what becomes lore and what doesnt. I guess Biowares writers had to negotiate with them about the possible fates of the exile and Revan too. Same goes with mr Karpushyn when he was writing Revan book.

Anyway I think Obi-wan would win if they used lightsabers, Revan if they used force powers.

The Jedi Order post Ruusaan Reformations had lost much of their knowledge, had become complacent, and then suffered a slow loss of skill. All because the masters had become restricted in their practice by law, and had less and less wisdom and insight to pass on to future generations. A plausible explanation as to why the Jedi in the Clone Wars era were not as impressive in their force abilities and dueling skills.

On the other side, though champions of peace and justice, the Jedi Order during the Sith Wars had become masterful practitioners of war. They still had the ability to experiment with the force and hone their dueling skills against their traditional enemy. In facing the Sith, and vice versa, both sides were able to have insight and knowledge to pass onto their students.

Darth Bane realized that in a way, the powers of the Jedi were an equal and opposite reaction to the powers of the Sith. Thusly maintaining the balance of the force. By imposing the Rule of Two, and sleeking into shadow, the Sith were able to have the power of time and surprise; while the Jedi were deprived their of knowledge and insight.

With this reasoning, Revan IS more powerful because he was brought to his full potential by both sides. Obi-wan is less powerful, because he was deprived of knowledge and insight. So, Revan would tear Obi-Wan apart.

:rak_03:

Edited by Lenlo

The Jedi Order post Ruusaan Reformations had lost much of their knowledge, had become complacent, and then suffered a slow loss of skill. All because the masters had become restricted in their practice by law, and had less and less wisdom and insight to pass on to future generations. A plausible explanation as to why the Jedi in the Clone Wars era were not as impressive in their force abilities and dueling skills.

On the other side, though champions of peace and justice, the Jedi Order during the Sith Wars had become masterful practitioners of war. They still had the ability to experiment with the force and hone their dueling skills against their traditional enemy. In facing the Sith, and vice versa, both sides were able to have insight and knowledge to pass onto their students.

Darth Bane realized that in a way, the powers of the Jedi were an equal and opposite reaction to the powers of the Sith. Thusly maintaining the balance of the force. By imposing the Rule of Two, and sleeking into shadow, the Sith were able to have the power of time and surprise; while the Jedi were deprived their of knowledge and insight.

With this reasoning, Revan IS more powerful because he was brought to his full potential by both sides. Obi-wan is less powerful, because he was deprived of knowledge and insight. So, Revan would tear Obi-Wan apart.

KA BOOM!! You Revan haters just got owned!

Care to bring up any version of the Jedi Order before the Golden Age era that could surpass them in power? no? that's because there isn't one, care to bring up a superior Sith to the Most powerful of all time Darth Sidious? oh that's right....

Honestly, you can state whatever you like, but Lucas and Chee and every major Star Wars sourcebook has made it concrete fact that the Prequel Jedi and Sith Orders were at their most powerful during that time, like it or not, get over it.

Truth /endthread

Care to bring up any version of the Jedi Order before the Golden Age era that could surpass them in power? no? that's because there isn't one, care to bring up a superior Sith to the Most powerful of all time Darth Sidious? oh that's right....

Honestly, you can state whatever you like, but Lucas and Chee and every major Star Wars sourcebook has made it concrete fact that the Prequel Jedi and Sith Orders were at their most powerful during that time, like it or not, get over it.

Your no better than a Revan Fanboy because you follow your belief blindly without aknowledging the points of the other arguments, Lucas opinion is overrated

Your in denial.

I think Yoda would beg to differ. Yoda is the wisest Jedi in history. I wonder how you can be so wise without any knowledge? That's right you can't. And Luke didn't have any Jedi knowledge besides what he found and what he was taught. Look at what happened: Luke created one of the most powerful Jedi Orders from scratch.

canonically, any PT Jedi Master could destroy pretty destroy any Old Republic Jedi or Sith.

News flash, Bane isn't very smart. Sidious is the most powerful Sith Lord ever and Mace Windu defeated him. Anakin was the Chosen one, and Obi-Wan defeated him. The culmination of the Dark Side could have been defeated by the Jedi Order, given the correct circumstances.

You present your argument well, flawed as it is, but canon events prove you wrong.

Exactly, you take Lucas's word for your proof. The same guy who decades later said Han didnt shoot first. Cmon now.

Exactly, you take Lucas's word for your proof. The same guy who decades later said Han didnt shoot first. Cmon now.

Lucas is the master of Star Wars. What he says goes. He makes the rules and we have to follow them. If Lucas says The Jedi Order of the PT is the best, it's the best. The topic of Han shooting first is a difficult topic to begin with so I won't say anything. And don't bring it up again, this is a vs. discussion not a Lucas bashing discussion.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.