FPS Limit?

DrDon

Hi, ive noticed no matter were i am or what im doing, i can never get more than 111fps out of the game?

is there a limit? because i doubt its my system,

im currently running the highest graphics settings possible, with

AMD FX4120 @ OC5.2Ghz

ASUS Mobo Crosshair V Formula

850W PSU

XFX 7970 GPU

32Gb RaM @ 2.2k Ghz

on a 27" HD LCD monitor

in other games, weather they be less or higher demanding on graphics i can get over 200 fps...

dont get me wrong, im not complaining, 60+ fps is enough to be smooth and unnoticeable.

im just wondering if there is a limit on the fps you can get from SWTOR?

Hi, ive noticed no matter were i am or what im doing, i can never get more than 111fps out of the game?

is there a limit? because i doubt its my system,

im currently running the highest graphics settings possible, with

AMD FX4120 @ OC5.2Ghz

ASUS Mobo Crosshair V Formula

850W PSU

XFX 7970 GPU

32Gb RaM @ 2.2k Ghz

on a 27" HD LCD monitor

in other games, weather they be less or higher demanding on graphics i can get over 200 fps...

dont get me wrong, im not complaining, 60+ fps is enough to be smooth and unnoticeable.

i7-3820, 16GB DDR3, GTX680 ; with that I pull about 130 - 140 fps in remote, deserted areas. However, in areas where NPC's pop in or other players it quickly drops to the 111 figure as well, where the ctrl+shift+f indicator indicates my CPU is the bottleneck.

i7-3820, 16GB DDR3, GTX680 ; with that I pull about 130 - 140 fps in remote, deserted areas. However, in areas where NPC's pop in or other players it quickly drops to the 111 figure as well, where the ctrl+shift+f indicator indicates my CPU is the bottleneck.

nice , mine just seems to be stuck flickering between 110-111, in heavily populated areas like the pvp vendors ect' it can drop to around 80-90 but never ever goes above 111. very strange

Thanks for your input

Its the engine they use and the poor optimization of it. Im sure there is not limit.

Hmmmmm i find this "no limit" hard to believe as the majority of software with any sort of animation impose a limit, otherwise you can find your experience getting worse as your system is just pushing for more and more fps when there is other things it needs to run.

Hmmmmm i find this "no limit" hard to believe as the majority of software with any sort of animation impose a limit, otherwise you can find your experience getting worse as your system is just pushing for more and more fps when there is other things it needs to run.

Games can be quite aggressive in that matter, where they themselves do not necessarily impose a liimt. For example, in Diablo 3 they actually introduced an option for max foreground FPS alongside max background FPS. After all, usually what are people preoccupied with next to playing games? It's getting more common these days to dual task, but in the past this was never an issue.

Windows itself however takes a bit of the load away, using the priority system.

In pvp vendor areas I drop to about 60-70 fps, CPU limited.

Which makes me think that in terms of the open areas, you are probably GPU limited. That would fit the general benchmarks of the 680 outperforming the 7970 on raw graphics power.

Which makes me think that in terms of the open areas, you are probably GPU limited. That would fit the general benchmarks of the 680 outperforming the 7970 on raw graphics power.

i understand what you are saying, but like i mentioned in my OP, in other games with a higher demand on graphics and CPU power. I.E. BF3, i get over 200 fps. so i Dont really see why i seem to be capped at 111fps

Edited by DrDon

And the average human eye can't distinguish above 18 fps (interlaced) to 32 fps (non-interlaced direct image transfer)... I'm sure you're all exceptional though and have the sharpest vision any human ever did making you able to detect all the way up to 50fps.

which makes your complaint about being below 100 fps... typical of these boards.

i understand what you are saying, but like i mentioned in my OP, in other games with a higher demand on graphics and CPU power. I.E. BF3, i get over 200 fps. so i Dont really see why i seem to be capped at 111fps

Just average game difference, less engine optimization, etc. Same reason as to why Crysis ran so shabby. Not because it looked good, but because there was a lot wrong under the hood as well. BioWare has a track record of this. Whether it's TOR, Mass Effect, or even back in their days of Neverwinter Nights, engine optimization wasn't their cup of tea.

BioWare doesn't stand alone in that, performance usually isn't of that much interest in a relatively slow paced RPG, so as long as it's playable on a decent range of specs, it's no longer of interest to have the high-end pull out mind boggling FPS figures.

In shooters on the other hand, and other fast paced multiplayer games, it's greatly desired to play at an average framerate which can at least keep up with the refreshing rate of your screens. Which these days is cut down a bit to around 100 FPS, but slowly climbing up again.

@Fornix

your right,

helpfully Bio can introduce something to set a limit yourself, as it seems pretty pointless me sitting here with a Nice GPU when i could get the same results with a way cheaper one

I have 15-23 fps in deserted areas, 13-18 in populated and 5-9 in certain pvp arenas.

OH WOW...

if you can play fine with that then fair play, but you might want to upgrade your rig, 60+ fps is recommended for gaming (as that's what your eyes can see)

Edited by DrDon

OH WOW...

if you can play fine with that then fair play, but you might want to upgrade your rig, 60+ fps is recommended for gaming (as that's what your eyes can see)

I don't have that trouble with other games, so I'd rather deal with it until it starts happening to more than one game. This is a laptop, next PC I get will be a desktop, that I'll build myself with the best stuffs.

Just got this computer in December, doesn't have trouble with other games, just SWTOR. :p

SWTOR is a pretty new game, and it uses DX11+ so ye, older games / not as big games laptops will cope better with,

im just hanging around here now to see if any one can give me a solid answer as to why i seem to be capped at 111 fps and if they manage to hold sustainably higher fps...

The guy earlier mentioned going over 111, so I guess it's not limited. However it does seem to be a common number for people.

I have a pretty average PC, several years old:

2.2 Quad Core AMD Phenom I

6 GB RAM

2GB Nvidia 550 Ti

I've had to do a lot of things to increase my performance while playing at almost full graphics settings (Just have shadows off)

In general I have lame fps, however on the most remote dead spots such as my ship, or the further corner of Hoth I too have see myself at between 108-111 fps, and never above that.

Even of the character selection screen, when selecting my smooth skinned Marauder or BH I settles at 110/111 fps, wheras as soon as I select my rugged JK (who has stubble) it drops to about 90 fps and settles at that.

The guy earlier mentioned going over 111, so I guess it's not limited. However it does seem to be a common number for people.

I have a pretty average PC, several years old:

2.2 Quad Core AMD Phenom I

6 GB RAM

2GB Nvidia 550 Ti

I've had to do a lot of things to increase my performance while playing at almost full graphics settings (Just have shadows off)

In general I have lame fps, however on the most remote dead spots such as my ship, or the further corner of Hoth I too have see myself at between 108-111 fps, and never above that.

Even of the character selection screen, when selecting my smooth skinned Marauder or BH I settles at 110/111 fps, wheras as soon as I select my rugged JK (who has stubble) it drops to about 90 fps and settles at that.

thats what im saying, the guy earlier only had it in remote places over 111. im talking sustainable high fps.

@Fornix

your right,

helpfully Bio can introduce something to set a limit yourself, as it seems pretty pointless me sitting here with a Nice GPU when i could get the same results with a way cheaper one

I can achieve the same fps caps you are talking about on a much lower spec system, in the areas you are referring to.

The game engine does have fps caps due to it's own bottle-necking, not an intended cap - An un-threaded render-er means your cpu and gpu are not being utilized anywhere near the extent they can be with any CPU nowadays having at least 2 cores and hyper-threading.

The simple fact I can achieve the EXACT same results on an i7 with a gtx 670 (With apparently the GPU capping according to the game engine, even though the GPU usage sits at 50% (70% for on very rare occasions)) after upgrading from a gtx 560 Ti achieving the very same fps caps, whilst still the game engine told me my GPU was capping me also.

If you like you can read my thread about how hardware is simply not being utilized by this engine. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=507316

Content production over performance.

This is an engine ISSUE, not a planned cap. Although, not to say the engine isn't working as intended. It is. The HeroEngine was designed for fast production, marketed to any man and his dog that would like to create an online-based game. Check their website.

Edited by billyconnite

SWTOR is a pretty new game, and it uses DX11+ so ye, older games / not as big games laptops will cope better with,

im just hanging around here now to see if any one can give me a solid answer as to why i seem to be capped at 111 fps and if they manage to hold sustainably higher fps...

This game runs on DirectX 9.

And the average human eye can't distinguish above 18 fps (interlaced) to 32 fps (non-interlaced direct image transfer)... I'm sure you're all exceptional though and have the sharpest vision any human ever did making you able to detect all the way up to 50fps.

which makes your complaint about being below 100 fps... typical of these boards.

Curiosity isn't something you should be discouraging. He's allowed to ask about this in the polite manner he has.

Also, tell me you don't see a difference between 30 and 60 FPS. I know you do.

I can achieve the same fps caps you are talking about on a much lower spec system, in the areas you are referring to.

The game engine does have fps caps due to it's own bottle-necking, not an intended cap - An un-threaded render-er means your cpu and gpu are not being utilized anywhere near the extent they can be with any CPU nowadays having at least 2 cores and hyper-threading.

The simple fact I can achieve the EXACT same results on an i7 with a gtx 670 (With apparently the GPU capping according to the game engine, even though the GPU usage sits at 50% (70% for on very rare occasions)) after upgrading from a gtx 560 Ti achieving the very same fps caps, whilst still the game engine told me my GPU was capping me also.

If you like you can read my thread about how hardware is simply not being utilized by this engine. http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=507316

Content production over performance.

This is an engine ISSUE, not a planned cap. Although, not to say the engine isn't working as intended. It is. The HeroEngine was designed for fast production, marketed to any man and his dog that would like to create an online-based game. Check their website.

just the sort of answer i was looking for, i though it would be client related. +1 for you i think. thanks alot for clearing that up

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Looks like this will never change as it is now May 2014

To me it looks like a limit on AMD cards. The best I can get is 111-112 FPS

System

CPU 4770k @ 4.5ghz OC water cooled

Asus z87-ws

G.skill 8gb 2666mhz

Sapphire HD7970 GHZ Vapor-x OC 6GB (used for work too, hence the 6GB)

I have read that in the early days of the game Nvidia GTX cards with pyhsx were able to achieve higher than this. Don't know if that's changed, but it could be that 111 FPS is the limit because AMD cards have no pyhsx...

If anyone knows different please add... I maybe wrong about the pyhsx