Hybrid healer Build

Chaqen

The other day i was running HM EC with some friends/pugs, while i was playing my merc alt who is speced arsenal (leveled him as a medic though). There was a few attempts where one of the healers ate a red circle and died, and my initial reaction since my main is a operative healer, was to start healing the tank. To my surprise i was able to keep the tank up rather easily, and didnt have any issues with heat at all... I was able to spam heal quite effectively, far better then what i was able to do when i was was speced as a medic.

I realized that the main factor that kept me from over heating was the change to Terminal Velocity. I remember one of the hardest aspects of playing a Merc medic was the fact that overheating during tough fights was all to common, and started to think this may be a solution if i could figure out a decent build.

I have come up with this build, I havent tested it myself, but thought i may try to get some input from others and see what think of it. I know it sacrifices the instant heal, but was thinking most content is rather easily healed in the current state (My Op spends a fair amount of time dpsing, even in HM EC...or i am day dreaming and thinking about how i could solo heal the tanks), so it wouldnt be to much of an issue. I figured if and when mobility was needed, you could always change your gas cylinder to combat support for those moments then switch back to high velocity (think of stance dancing, sorta like a warrior in wow).

The big benefits i was hoping for this build, was the added ease of heat management, and the ability to dps a bit more effectively with tracer missile, and rail shot as well (was figuring on wearing the eliminator set gear for increase crit to TM, and the free rail shot).

I would love to get some feed back on this spec, and see what people think... Normally i am one of those people that frown from the idea of a hybrid anything... but i really think with the current state of content that would increase the viability of merc healers.

TL;DR: Check out the build and discuss.

The other day i was running HM EC with some friends/pugs, while i was playing my merc alt who is speced arsenal (leveled him as a medic though). There was a few attempts where one of the healers ate a red circle and died, and my initial reaction since my main is a operative healer, was to start healing the tank. To my surprise i was able to keep the tank up rather easily, and didnt have any issues with heat at all... I was able to spam heal quite effectively, far better then what i was able to do when i was was speced as a medic.

I realized that the main factor that kept me from over heating was the change to Terminal Velocity. I remember one of the hardest aspects of playing a Merc medic was the fact that overheating during tough fights was all to common, and started to think this may be a solution if i could figure out a decent build.

I have come up with this build, I havent tested it myself, but thought i may try to get some input from others and see what think of it. I know it sacrifices the instant heal, but was thinking most content is rather easily healed in the current state (My Op spends a fair amount of time dpsing, even in HM EC...or i am day dreaming and thinking about how i could solo heal the tanks), so it wouldnt be to much of an issue. I figured if and when mobility was needed, you could always change your gas cylinder to combat support for those moments then switch back to high velocity (think of stance dancing, sorta like a warrior in wow).

The big benefits i was hoping for this build, was the added ease of heat management, and the ability to dps a bit more effectively with tracer missile, and rail shot as well (was figuring on wearing the eliminator set gear for increase crit to TM, and the free rail shot).

I would love to get some feed back on this spec, and see what people think... Normally i am one of those people that frown from the idea of a hybrid anything... but i really think with the current state of content that would increase the viability of merc healers.

TL;DR: Check out the build and discuss.

Would be interesting to see how that build would perform. Have you ran with it at all yet? I mean in HM EC depending on how good the rest of your DPS is you might be able to get away with it. I know my guild has been carrying some pretty scrubbish merc DPS through for about a month now. Having that 3rd healer for oh **** moments would be nice.

Looks like a nice concept but i think you would just generate more heat if you dont have the free instant heal.

I've healed through every HM already on my Merc healer which is just an alt, cant say i have alot of heat issues except when the big purple circle drops in Kephess HM

I only took a brief look at the build you listed but I ran (and take credit for :p) a hybrid build since the August beta (I was in beta sine June '11) up until January of this year. Here is my original thread that has since been unstickied. I stopped playing Merc after the drastic changes to Ilum and had moved on to other classes. In the last month I've come back to Merc but as a Pyro DPS spec.

Even without having played it in so long (with all the subsequent changes to Merc since then) I can pretty much tell you it won't be much of a viable spec in PvP. Every single hybrid I see either gets creamed or doesn't do much to contribute to their teams in PvP. For normal PvE it might still do well but most likely not enough to contribute in Ops or tier 2 content.

Terminal Velocity does not belong in a healing build, going with Support Cylinder will help you more with overheating issues.

I run a similar build with Tracer Missile and Tracer Lock and I don't overheat while also being main healer for PvP and HM's AND also doing some decent DPS

I don't like any kind of hybrids for mercs, and bodyguard isn't good enough without emergancy scan.

Also terminal velocity requires HVGC, won't work while in combat support.

Well his idea is to run in the arsenal cylinder, which indeed might be bigger nerf then OP thinks.

No extra % on healing without the stacks, no SCG, no spamming rapid shots to heal, lack of instant heal would have to be compensated with an extra rapid scan (25 heat)... you will probably vent alot more heat, i just think you're not going to substain long enough for the effect to have any use without the above mentioned things.