The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

4/6/31, or 7/3/31?

Theology

So, now that the whole Aim vs Power thing has been settled, (with 1:1 Aim winning out by a slight margin) I now find myself pondering if 4/6/31 or 7/3/31 is the better spec to go. What do you folks think? I'm pretty on the fence and have experienced similar numbers with both specs.

3% tech crit +6% fire crit (Flameburst, CGC, Incindiery) in exchange for 2% fire damage, 6% aim (the 6% aim equates to .5% crit chance for me at 1740 aim, taking me to 1850 or so. Cant remember the exact numbers.)

Edited by Theology

So, now that the whole Aim vs Power thing has been settled, (with 1:1 Aim winning out by a slight margin) I now find myself pondering if 4/6/31 or 7/3/31 is the better spec to go. What do you folks think? I'm pretty on the fence and have experienced similar numbers with both specs.

3% tech crit +6% fire crit (Flameburst, CGC, Incindiery) in exchange for 2% fire damage, 6% aim (the 6% aim equates to .5% crit chance for me at 1740 aim, taking me to 1850 or so. Cant remember the exact numbers.)

I like 8/2/31

I prefer the more reliable burst of 4/6/31 but others prefer the bigger crit rails of 7/3/31. It's a matter of preference.

The higher aim spec ends up doing more overall white damage, while the tech/fire crit spec runs at around 40% chance to crit on all its fire damage, and a higher chance to crit on TD (making its burst more reliably).

Neither. Try http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301McZfhrbzGhMcZhMh.2

TD is overrated and if you augment for aim, you shouldn't have any other spec.

I'd give up 6% crit on fire effects and 20% armor pen on railshot for energy rebounder and thermal detonator.

8/2/31 is your best bet for burst damage, although 8/6/27 (which is a PVE spec) does the highest DPS of any spec. DPS vs Burst, pick your poison.

I'd give up 6% crit on fire effects and 20% armor pen on railshot for energy rebounder and thermal detonator.

8/2/31 is your best bet for burst damage, although 8/6/27 (which is a PVE spec) does the highest DPS of any spec. DPS vs Burst, pick your poison.

Is it worth getting the additional 3% of aim rather than 20% ignore armor of RS? I haven't tried 8/2/31, but I think puncture is more important.

Edited by dijskykiller

It depends on if you solo more or play with a group...Alot of others can put the armor Penetratoin on a mob/boss etc in group fights, but if your going solo alot too then I prefer to have the Armor pen. I run 7/3/31 and find TD to give me good DPS even if I have to fight from range in certain groups or boss fights due to group make up. Like zorn and toth fight in EC for example. All in all most of the builds mentioned here are very good for DPS and and Burst and will get you high overall DPS for any situation...Its mainly about play style and how you paly after that as to wich one would benefit you the most or you will like the best. :cool:

Is it worth getting the additional 3% of aim rather than 20% ignore armor of RS? I haven't tried 8/2/31, but I think puncture is more important.

70% vs 90% is negligible against almost any target. You get more bonus damage on literally all of your attacks with +3% aim. It totals out to be around +40 bonus damage i believe, when you are full war hero. You wont notice your railshots damage go down and youll notice all of your other abilities damage increase.

I havent done any "tests" but I like how it makes my stats page look and my railshots still hit just as hard. You might see a slight boost against fully armored targets, but in that situation most of your damage is coming from your elemental attacks anyway since railshot can be shielded or reflected.

I just started PvP'ng 2 days ago and now finally have at least some BattleMaster and I can say the 8/2/31 has some great burst. I am not pushing insane numbers like 600k in WZ's, but I am always top 2 overall dps, kills etc while playing objectively. I do want to try the AP/Pyro for better control and versatility but honestly having a hard time giving up the burst when I need it.

I ran with full Rakata PvE the entire time and as I got a piece of BM, I swapped the PvE piece out. It served me pretty well/

I like 8/2/31

I agree with you shoryuken for a pvp perspective. The additional damage and crit chance to TD and Rail Shot are more effective in pvp, because of burst. However, I tested 8/2/31, 7/3/31, and 4/6/31 on the operations dummy and I found 4/6/31 to be the most effective for pve dps. What it comes down to is your dots. In my parse, I find a consistent 30% damage from my CGC and Incendiary dot. Because the weight of these two dots is so high, and they get surge buffs from the Pyro tree, it is better for pve dps to get the additional crit chance for these dots.

The problem with no Thermal Detonator, even in pve, is that it is less useful from range and you are stuck with using flame burst or rapid shots an extra time after you already proc'd CGC. You lack a real filler in between proc'd rail shots other than flame burst and rapid shots. Back before 1.2, no thermal detonator was better in pve, because you didn't have the 6 sec internal cd on rail shot proc. But now, the 3k damage or so you get from each TD outweighs the static bonus you get from the talents in ST and AP. Also, your heat management is much more efficient with 31 in pyro because you are pretty much getting a free incendiary missile every other time with your proc'd TSO.