Commando,the good,the bad and the ugly.

Vinamous

Strenghts:

- more sustained damage than the vanguard

- you can switch spec to healing

- you carry a BFG

Weaknesses:

- you can't tank

- not mobile. Needs to stand still and channel attacks.

- pvp is a disaster because of the above.

Edited by Chomag

Strenghts:

- you carry a BFG

Weaknesses:

- you can't tank

This sums it up, good points. I would add one more thing. If you go healer you might be having issues with healing a full group for a few levels, then as you progress and get the skills and spend the talent points it gets better and better.

Class is good for soloing as well. You can still do pretty good damage while healing.

I cannot tell anything about the damage dealer tree because I went combat medic but I am sure that there will be some more guys here adding their comments on that as well.

Class is good for soloing as well. You can still do pretty good damage while healing.

Especially after Taris, because together with the companion you get there, you have practically no downtime.

I am 20 right now, and on my way into the gunnery tree... decent damage + healing abilities=high surivability.

Loving it.

Granted only at lvl 25 so you have take anything a say with a grain of salt.

Healing spec is fun, though healing draws a lot of aggro. With the armor and high Endurance though, you almost end up tanking via healing. It's crazy, but works out that way thus far.

And still do decent damage even when healing spec'd.

Amd usually have been in the top 3 healing when in pvp warzones despite all the long channel heals.

Usually hate healing in 90% of MMO's, but am loving it.

Commando is great fun BUT your only choice as a Dpser is to use Dorne (Healer). The catman is useless and M1-4X takes more damage then you do in dps gear so you just end up spending the time healing the droid. I've been running with Dorne since I got her and I just destroy everything, can even handle some 2-man quests with a champion (Not elite) boss at the end.

Wish they upped the defence on M1-4X as he is currently useless. A healer is better off with a dps companion and a Vanguard is better off with a healing/dps companion. M1-4X is a great character, but his usefulness is close to nil.

Wish they upped the defence on M1-4X as he is currently useless. A healer is better off with a dps companion and a Vanguard is better off with a healing/dps companion. M1-4X is a great character, but his usefulness is close to nil.

I thought it was just me. He's supposed to be a tank but when I brought him to Tatooine he dropped like a rock, I was better off tanking with Aric or Elara.

I want to bring him anyways though... he's so funny :(

I thought it was just me. He's supposed to be a tank but when I brought him to Tatooine he dropped like a rock, I was better off tanking with Aric or Elara.

I want to bring him anyways though... he's so funny :(

Exactly, I love M1-4X as a companion, he's awesome, but he's useless to use for combat. Thank God Dorne is my 2nd choice, as a Male trooper she's my interest anyway, so it's nice to get the extra points for questing with her, but I really wanted M1-4X :/

My commando is only 22 atm, but loving him so far- even if he does feel like 'easy mode' at times.

If you spec into combat medic completely along with 2 points into Havoc Rounds in the Gunnery tree (+20% Kolto Bomb healing) you can heal pretty much any instance for your range. I was doing it before Kolto, but it was a little hard. A healer with Heavy Armor, nice heals and decent dps is rare... but we are just that. Even if you shouldn't be dps'ing much. :p A Sage's biggest advantage over us is their CC, especially Force Lift.

Healing I have noticed that ammo can be an issue... I tend to run out in boss fights and always have to make sure Recharge Shells is off CD.

Anyway, so far as soloing goes, it's easy as well. Taking down 1 elite + 2-3 strong mobs is not impossible with Jorgan backing you up with his own dps.

Right now I'm spec'ed full gunnery and the DPS is awesome, especially Grav Round and Charged Shot. Unfortunately, standing there and using attacks with inductions sucks when you have enemies who use AoE skills that hurt. XD

Explosive Rounds + Various Grenades tend to be my normal use in battles where I need to keep on the move. Full Auto and the other two mentioned are nice for taking down trash quickly.

So... not true...

When not focused, we are like a turret shooting wrecking balls on everyone and everything.

When focused, we are like a nyan cat on drugs with a gun.

Something like that. Unless my team is getting destroyed, I'm usually like 20k - 50k over the next guy for damage.

Commando is great fun BUT your only choice as a Dpser is to use Dorne (Healer). The catman is useless and M1-4X takes more damage then you do in dps gear so you just end up spending the time healing the droid. I've been running with Dorne since I got her and I just destroy everything, can even handle some 2-man quests with a champion (Not elite) boss at the end.

I have a question about this I have been wondering. I haven't gotten M1-4X yet, but I have heard people defending him when people say things like the above. They say that you might be comparing him in his starting (crap) gear to whatever companion you were using before who was probably in much better gear.

Do you find that to be the case? Is there a way you can compare the effectiveness of him with top end gear to the effectiveness of Dorne?

So... not true...

When not focused, we are like a turret shooting wrecking balls on everyone and everything.

When focused, we are like a nyan cat on drugs with a gun.

This.

But if people keep believing commando's suck in pvp then I have no problem being the rarity.

I have a question about this I have been wondering. I haven't gotten M1-4X yet, but I have heard people defending him when people say things like the above. They say that you might be comparing him in his starting (crap) gear to whatever companion you were using before who was probably in much better gear.

Do you find that to be the case? Is there a way you can compare the effectiveness of him with top end gear to the effectiveness of Dorne?

I think it is very situational. There are a few that say if you are cybertech and gear Forex up with blue droid gear that he is much hardier.

As an armormech I currently cannot provide the gear it would take for him to be a solid tank when tanking heroic 2+ missions solo. Like others have said if you can't gear him you spend your time spam healing him, and then you just have to wait until he plinks a boss's health away.

I gear out dorne with the best armor I can make, picked up some skills in the gunnery tree that reduce incoming damage, and try to CC/dps tank my way to victory. I can actually handle a few champion mobs, but it is dicey and depends on the type. If it is a melee champion I usually fail.

I'm sick of everyone hating on Forex, he is by far the best companion I can get, for the simple fact that he does what he is supposed to, tank. He takes slightly less damage than me when you turn on his actual tanking cooldowns to auto, and his harpoon is amazing for pulling elites to him so he can aoe tank them.

You have to look at the big picture, with Aric and Dorne, you are going to be doing the tanking, but with Forex, even if he is taking more damage/same damage, it frees you up to full out dps/mortar/shoot without being inturrupted, usually you can kill entire groups before he gets to 80% this way. Don't forget to use your crowd control on double elite/silver groups, and your cryo grenade every chance you get, and just watch groups of 4-6 melt.

Strenghts:

- you carry a BFG

Weaknesses:

- you can't tank

any one who gets focused drops like a fly in PvP atm.

in this game while casting it will auto track, abuse this if your getting train'd by a melee and spam Grav. Round, -dps-war, you win most of the time if you get the jump on the guy, you should 30m pew pew range.

I'm sick of everyone hating on Forex, he is by far the best companion I can get, for the simple fact that he does what he is supposed to, tank. He takes slightly less damage than me when you turn on his actual tanking cooldowns to auto, and his harpoon is amazing for pulling elites to him so he can aoe tank them.

You have to look at the big picture, with Aric and Dorne, you are going to be doing the tanking, but with Forex, even if he is taking more damage/same damage, it frees you up to full out dps/mortar/shoot without being inturrupted, usually you can kill entire groups before he gets to 80% this way. Don't forget to use your crowd control on double elite/silver groups, and your cryo grenade every chance you get, and just watch groups of 4-6 melt.

What a load of bollocks. I'm level 31 now and I've tried pimping both M1-4X and Dorne out in gear and M1 is still useless, I spend more time healing him then doing any actual shooting. I don't get enough ammo left to damage with M1, whilst if I let Dorne heal me I can freely destroy the mobs in question, and that includes champions in 2 man quests. Ranged I take down by Line of sight dodging and melee I push away and kite. Dorne is more then capable of healing the damage.

Sorry but no matter how you put it, M1-4X takes more damage then you do, He is a tank, I'm a dps, he should take far less, and yes, I do have all his tanking abilities activated and he is still useless. Just tank it yourself and since Full Auto crap anyway, just spam Grav Round and High Impact when you've got 5 stacks.

Running PvP I was averaging ~75 commendations a battle. Led, out of the 6 battles I participated in, in damage out of everyone in the match twice. Those 2 times I got over 200k damage and 50k heals. Won MVP in both.

There are a TON of SI/Sorcs out there. They're somewhat problematic but I found a very useful method:

Equip your plasma cell. Grav round 5x (unless you have the proc to gen 2 gravs per hit). Also, you get stronger if you have Charged Barrier and those 5 shots put you at 10% damage reduction. hit them with HIB and then full auto. Intersperse with hammer shot to keep your ammo regen at tops. By this point they're really hurting and will probably try to flee. Just hit them with a cryo grenade and then wreck them with a full auto.

I've solo'd level 35+ SI/Sorcs with this method. Also, Concussive Force is an enormously good proc to hit up if you're getting owned by SWs. They use their charge in and you just Stockstrike them back 2 meters and they slowly run up to you while you are pelting them with grenades. What happens? Concussive charge and they're 2 meters further away.

This guy is completely correct. You lose out on a ton of damage by tanking with Dorne healing you. If you take Cybertech or buy the parts for him, he becomes a very good damage sponge! I'm guessing that all the people hating on him are leaving him in trash gear. Soloing 2+ heroics are ezmode.