The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Q on Assualt Spec Rotation

RickAdams

So you've just procced the reset on HIB and you know you can't proc a reset for 6 seconds. Do you still use Stockstrike and Ion Pulse as filler until the CD is up even though you know you can't proc a reset on HIB? If not, what do you fill the rotation with, Hammer Shot?

Also, when the CD on HIB is almost up (the actual ability CD), say 5 sec or less, do you hold off on using Stock Strike and Ion Pulse until the CD finishes, hit HIB and then start using Stock Strike and Ion Pulse again, hoping to get a proc right away? That's what I've been doing but I don't know if I'm losing DPS doing it this way. Seems to me like a gain, cause you can often get 2 HIB going back to back. But I haven't done the math on this or run against a combat dummy.

I am no expert on troopers, but what I do is yes, I hold off on Stock/Ion when I know HIB won't proc. I usually fill with full auto, but if its not up and you already have your AP and IR up, then yea I guess hammer.

And yes, I hold off on abilities that proc HIB when HIB is about to come off CD on its own.

Edited by Icebergy

Been vanguard since Beta stages, using assault spec. In my opinion if there within mellee range, keep using Ion Pulse, once the 6 seconds up use stockstrike (stockstrike has more chance of reseting your HIB cooldown but ION Pulse does more damage). Full auto is a waste of ammo at close range compared to ion, and hammer just doesnt do enough damage. Ion Pulse is only 2 ammo, and is your primary move as a Assault Vanguard.

Just my 0.02 Cents

Been vanguard since Beta stages, using assault spec. In my opinion if there within mellee range, keep using Ion Pulse, once the 6 seconds up use stockstrike (stockstrike has more chance of reseting your HIB cooldown but ION Pulse does more damage). Full auto is a waste of ammo at close range compared to ion, and hammer just doesnt do enough damage. Ion Pulse is only 2 ammo, and is your primary move as a Assault Vanguard.

Just my 0.02 Cents

so you wouldn't use mortor volley or pulse cannon as filler during the 6 sec CD period?

If you use Stockstrike as an Assault Vanguard, you're bad.

What the other guy in beta said about Ion Pulse.. i'd listen to him ;)

If you make broad sweeping comments with no evidence to back them up and just say things on forums to insult people. you are bad.

Bottom line SS is a great output option for fights. typically it comes up as 4th on my meters. #1 burn effects, #2 Ion Pulse, #3 HiB, #4 SS.

Same cost of ammo, 15% higher chance to proc HiB and on my tool tip Ion Pulse: 1154-1223; Stockstrike: 2042-2084 but i am in full augmented warhero as well.

The only thing that makes you a bad player is not using all the tools you have effectively and making statements without backing them up.

If you make broad sweeping comments with no evidence to back them up and just say things on forums to insult people. you are bad.

Bottom line SS is a great output option for fights. typically it comes up as 4th on my meters. #1 burn effects, #2 Ion Pulse, #3 HiB, #4 SS.

Same cost of ammo, 15% higher chance to proc HiB and on my tool tip Ion Pulse: 1154-1223; Stockstrike: 2042-2084 but i am in full augmented warhero as well.

The only thing that makes you a bad player is not using all the tools you have effectively and making statements without backing them up.

1- Ion Pulse also proc's your Plasma Cell (roughly 1k damage) so 2.2k IP > 2k SS.

2- SS means you have to be in melee range.. why would you EVER want to be in melee range when you can be at 10m and KITE people with Ion Pulse (spec'd with a slow)

There are your facts, SS is NOT a good output.. so please be quiet now.

1- Ion Pulse also proc's your Plasma Cell (roughly 1k damage) so 2.2k IP > 2k SS.

2- SS means you have to be in melee range.. why would you EVER want to be in melee range when you can be at 10m and KITE people with Ion Pulse (spec'd with a slow)

There are your facts, SS is NOT a good output.. so please be quiet now.

Except if you are decent you keep the dot rolling on them, and you aren't going to be kiting but half the classes out there. Infact we actually have an interrupt that only works when you are in melee range, although i'm not surprised you didn't know that. Your "facts" are weaksauce bro.

Edited by DakoHawk

I'm an idiot for not mentioning this in the original post, but this is a PVE rotation. Many of the points made here in the thread are great points, but they're PVP oriented. I'm looking for practical consensus on PVE rotations and how often people include other abilties in their rotations when HIB is on 6sec internal CD.

You must be spamming the hell out of Ion Pulse, HIB is ALWAYS ahead of it for me O.o But this is from a PvE perspective, if you're talking pvp I don't know, but HIB should still be higher if you're using it constantly.

Anywho, I consider myself doing decent DPS for my gear(1200 on boss fights, with daily quest mods and a BM rifle).

I follow the Priority:

DOTs(Incendiary Round, Plasma Cell proc)

HiB

Stock Strike(If >9 ammo)

Ion Pulse(If >9 ammo)

Hammer Shot(If <9 ammo)

I'm specced 28/5/8 you can move some points around, like swapping +3% aim for +3% crit if you wish, and the "filler" talents that doesn't add dps I guess but this is the generally accepted best PvE build last I checked.

Edited by ckoneful

You must be spamming the hell out of Ion Pulse, HIB is ALWAYS ahead of it for me O.o But this is from a PvE perspective, if you're talking pvp I don't know, but HIB should still be higher if you're using it constantly.

Anywho, I consider myself doing decent DPS for my gear(1200 on boss fights, with daily quest mods and a BM rifle).

I follow the Priority:

DOTs(Incendiary Round, Plasma Cell proc)

HiB

Stock Strike

Ion Pulse

I'm specced 28/5/8 you can move some points around, like swapping +3% aim for +3% crit if you wish, and the "filler" talents that doesn't add dps I guess but this is the generally accepted best PvE build last I checked.

So Ckoneful, are you saying you spam stock strike and ion pulse even when HIB is on 6sec internal cooldown? You must also have hammer shot in there somewhere, because otherwise it's impossible to keep ammo high.

So Ckoneful, are you saying you spam stock strike and ion pulse even when HIB is on 6sec internal cooldown? You must also have hammer shot in there somewhere, because otherwise it's impossible to keep ammo high.

It's a priority list, forgot to list limitations on ammo for Hammer Shot though. And yes, I still use Ion Pulse/SS during the ICD but ONLY if I'm about to hit ammo capped.

As far as the rotation goes, I use this order:

When you get Ionic Accelerator proc you use HIB immediately, which already sets you 3 second after the proc. So you use two instants or one channeled skill (FA, PC, MV) and then Stock Strike>Ion Pulse. Ion pulse only has priority if your DOT is running off in the next 1,5 sec.

Basically you want to throw an Assault Plastique after the IA proc + 1 another instant (hammer shot for ammo, incendiary round to keep the dot up, or one extra IP, if you're doing great on the ammo). When both your dots are running and the AP is on cooldown there is an excellent opportunity after a HIB to throw in MV>PC>FA as it's channeled for 3 seconds => fills up exactly the 6 sec proc window (FA is actually the best ammo-wise, MV DMG-wise). Throw a SS>IP after that (IP>SS if DOT isn't on).

Using the channeled skills in your rotation gives you much higher DMG per ammo ratio. I do around 1900 DPS on the Operations dummy as a Assault spec vang. Don't listen to these guys that tell you things like SS is useless, test it for yourself on a dummy with a parser :)

Assault build without AP does almost exactly the same DPS in a long fight but hinders your burst hard, not my style. It's easier to master the rotation there though.

Edited by Samohnat

As far as the rotation goes, I use this order:

When you get Ionic Accelerator proc you use HIB immediately, which already sets you 3 second after the proc. So you use two instants or one channeled skill (FA, PC, MV) and then Stock Strike>Ion Pulse. Ion pulse only has priority if your DOT is running off in the next 1,5 sec.

Basically you want to throw an Assault Plastique after the IA proc + 1 another instant (hammer shot for ammo, incendiary round to keep the dot up, or one extra IP, if you're doing great on the ammo). When both your dots are running and the AP is on cooldown there is an excellent opportunity after a HIB to throw in MV>PC>FA as it's channeled for 3 seconds => fills up exactly the 6 sec proc window (FA is actually the best ammo-wise, MV DMG-wise). Throw a SS>IP after that (IP>SS if DOT isn't on).

Using the channeled skills in your rotation gives you much higher DMG per ammo ratio. I do around 1900 DPS on the Operations dummy as a Assault spec vang. Don't listen to these guys that tell you things like SS is useless, test it for yourself on a dummy with a parser :)

Assault build without AP does almost exactly the same DPS in a long fight but hinders your burst hard, not my style. It's easier to master the rotation there though.

How long are your "tests" where you're getting 1900 dps? Also, what gear are you in?

Edited by ckoneful

Can go like that forever, usually about 5-6 mins. I'm in fully re-moded campaign gear.

I see most people reporting 1700 on boss fights so I was curious. Have you tried both specs on a dummy a few times? I just got significantly better geared today so I'm going to be doing some further testing and probably compare the specs myself but I don't find myself screwing up my ammo management enough or ending up out of the 10 yd box enough to warrant going 31 points into Assault.

I tried them both, there is not much difference in raw DPS over a longer period of time, but I like the AP build much more as a lot of the boss fights require burst damage and you are not up 100% of the time. The full assault spec simply gives you more burst and even a little more ranged damage potential :)

EDIT: Oh, and I'm using the PvP set bonus.

Edited by Samohnat