PotF server chat action required.

Shaide

It just shows how many children are playing this game. After 5 minutes id think an adult would have enough but it just shows the maturity on the server. just make a new chat tab, i have a guild chat tab and just turn it on that and i dont have to see the kids on general chat.

Don't be naive. It's not just children.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that you're having a negative experience with General Chat. It seems you're already familiar with the ignore list, which is good, but (as others have mentioned) you can also leave General Chat altogether if the messages are too frequent and are disrupting your play. If you aren't in a guild, I'd strongly recommend checking a few out to find a good fit - you may find that a good guild chat with others who share similar tastes would suit you best! Remember that you can change your chat settings at any time, so if it's ever too overwhelming, you might want to leave and come back later. Also - remember that you can report players who are being abusive, offensive, or who are harassing others in chat. Now that the Group Finder is available, General Chat shouldn't be necessary to form a group (though it can still be helpful).

^^^ This, quoted for emphasis.

The vulgar tendencies of MMO general chat channels is one of the main driving reasons Saints of the Old Republic was formed in the first place. If I didn't have the haven of our Guild Chat channels, I think I too would go mad.

Wrong. Chat is not spam. If I post a 7 line recruitment every 15 seconds, I'd call that spam. People having conversations is not spam. Use another chat channel if you can't handle it. :rolleyes:

Depends on how frequent and/or intrusive or inane the comments are. What the OP is talking about -- movie-parody titles posted in such rapid succession that they overwhelm the chat box -- would probably strike me as spam. And yes, there are "griefer" gamers who thrive on getting on people's nerves by doing stuff like this, all the while protesting their (supposed) innocence. Fortunately, this game's moderators know VERY well who they are.

I'd say the rule of thumb for defining suggestive material applies to spam: we may not be able to define it in advance, but we know it when we see it. Spammers need to consider themselves warned.

After all, if people want to have a conversation, they can take it to tells, or group up, or form a raid group, or even create their own custom chat channel complete with password protection. There is NO need to make a nuisance of oneself.

Edited by Spectus

Sorry to hear that you're having a negative experience with General Chat. It seems you're already familiar with the ignore list, which is good, but (as others have mentioned) you can also leave General Chat altogether if the messages are too frequent and are disrupting your play. If you aren't in a guild, I'd strongly recommend checking a few out to find a good fit - you may find that a good guild chat with others who share similar tastes would suit you best! Remember that you can change your chat settings at any time, so if it's ever too overwhelming, you might want to leave and come back later. Also - remember that you can report players who are being abusive, offensive, or who are harassing others in chat. Now that the Group Finder is available, General Chat shouldn't be necessary to form a group (though it can still be helpful).
you are missing the point i think. Mature people shouldn't have to ignore and leave a chat because a handful of "little kids" spam the hell out of the chat. It is in your TOS that spaming and making gameplay unpleasent for others is against the rules and subject to action.

Why is it that we have to leave the chat instead of you actually punishing the offenders. I know you guys run a business but you will drive away more peopel then you keep by rewarding people for breaking the rules and doing what they are told to do. This reward for transfering server was a bad idea, instead you should of just said you had until the end of the month to freely move your characters or they will be deleted. By constantly giving people a new gift for doing what they are supposed to do and NEVER punishing them for breaking the rules you get this kinda trsh in the game.

15 years ago MMOs were games for gamers, not its seems like the "gamer" market is ignored and the little kids keep me occupied for 5 minutes then give me something for being here 5 minutes is the market.

PvP is a 100% joke because its gear based not skill based, you constantly nerf due to PvP QQ and in the process of ruining the PvE game, and now you allow mindless immaturity to run rampant in the genreal chats, and all you do is tell people to leave the chat instead of smacking the rule breaker on the *** and putting them in time out. You will gain more respect from your community by upholding the rules you have listed in teh TOS then by telling the people who follow the rules just to ignore the ones who don't.

Wrong. Chat is not spam. If I post a 7 line recruitment every 15 seconds, I'd call that spam. People having conversations is not spam. Use another chat channel if you can't handle it. :rolleyes:

saying Harry JAWA and the lightsaber of fire every 3.5 seconds for 2 and a half hours is spam and they should be banned for it.

If you allow an immature child to get away with simple garbage like that they will get more and more bold. I realize that concept is something far forgotten by most people today. If you stop the incorrect action when it starts it won't grow. Because parents of today do not understand that its why so many kids grow up to be pieces of trash.

you are missing the point i think. Mature people shouldn't have to ignore and leave a chat because a handful of "little kids" spam the hell out of the chat. It is in your TOS that spaming and making gameplay unpleasent for others is against the rules and subject to action.

Why is it that we have to leave the chat instead of you actually punishing the offenders. I know you guys run a business but you will drive away more peopel then you keep by rewarding people for breaking the rules and doing what they are told to do. This reward for transfering server was a bad idea, instead you should of just said you had until the end of the month to freely move your characters or they will be deleted. By constantly giving people a new gift for doing what they are supposed to do and NEVER punishing them for breaking the rules you get this kinda trsh in the game.

15 years ago MMOs were games for gamers, not its seems like the "gamer" market is ignored and the little kids keep me occupied for 5 minutes then give me something for being here 5 minutes is the market.

PvP is a 100% joke because its gear based not skill based, you constantly nerf due to PvP QQ and in the process of ruining the PvE game, and now you allow mindless immaturity to run rampant in the genreal chats, and all you do is tell people to leave the chat instead of smacking the rule breaker on the *** and putting them in time out. You will gain more respect from your community by upholding the rules you have listed in teh TOS then by telling the people who follow the rules just to ignore the ones who don't.

Just beause YOU define somethign as spam does not make it so. It is general chat. They are generally chatting and having fun while playing the game. This happened in WoW but instead it was Murlock. It was FUN. Just relax, make your chat window bigger so things dont get ran off the screen as quickly and relax. You have the GTN for selling items and group finder for finding groups.

The admin has also suggested finding a guild. This is also great advice.

Again, I understand you are frustrated. But you do not get to decide what is spam and determine that that what others are doing is violating terms of use. I don't personally feel like what you are describing constitutes spam.

Those are full grown adults, men and women. ;)

And it's not spam.

Edited by Kourage

And it's not spam.

It is unfortunate but this^^ is correct. Most of the time the so called offenders aren't kiddies. The fact is that anonymity brings out the worst in people.

But to be honest, I turn off general chat quite often. Not really because of the content but mainly because I don't want to miss messages from guildies. I really don't try to keep up with what is going on in general chat anyway. It is only relevant if you make it relevant.

Edited by Rafaman

And it's not spam.

It may not qualify as "spam", but it would certainly qualify as trolling, which isn't permitted here on the forums, nor should it be permitted in-game. If your trolling in General Chat becomes a disruption, you should be silenced. Having "fun" doesn't mean you can do whatever you like. I understand it's a fine line, but it's fairly clear when it's crossed.

It's a community bonding thing imo. Jawa movie titles is better than what my server (Nightmare Lands EU) is currently going through. Goat chat. Goat Movie titles sometimes. Why Goats? who knows. Edited by AelixVII

It may not qualify as "spam", but it would certainly qualify as trolling, which isn't permitted here on the forums, nor should it be permitted in-game. If your trolling in General Chat becomes a disruption, you should be silenced. Having "fun" doesn't mean you can do whatever you like. I understand it's a fine line, but it's fairly clear when it's crossed.

What are the rules and restrictions for general chat? How do they differ from any other in-game channel? If you are going to strictly regulate chat channels then are guild channels excluded? If so then why? Because if there is supposed to be some standard that is clearly defined then it should be upheld across all channels in the game, correct? Where is this fine line and how is BioWare supposed to realistically enforce this line without the aid of players reporting other players?

Nothing is ever black and white. There are all kinds of grey inbetween and it's the grey part that people never agree on.

I really think it's amusing that people are so upset by Jawas. If it were just one person spamming over and over again, I can see the GMs doing something about it. But I can almost guarantee that the people who spam things like "YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS" 100 times in a row to drown out the jawa are more likely to get a chat ban then like 80% of the server having fun.

Here is a novel idea. If your ignore list is full and for some reason you can not leave general despite the overwhelming amount of jawa happening, you can always create your own anti-jawa general chat channel.

Step one:

/join NoJawasAllowed

Step two:

/1 If you are sick of seeing underclass jawa wherever you go, just /join NoJawasAllowed so that you can use the channel for all things general without having to interact with those disgusting jawas!

Step three:

Monitor your channel carefully and if you see any Jawa sympathizers you ban them from your channel that clearly states no Jawas allowed.

Problem solved! If you have any other questions or issues, please feel free to contact me on PotF.

*Prices may vary on a case to case basis.

Problem Solver Nik'tika

Edited by Niktika

What are the rules and restrictions for general chat? How do they differ from any other in-game channel? If you are going to strictly regulate chat channels then are guild channels excluded? If so then why? Because if there is supposed to be some standard that is clearly defined then it should be upheld across all channels in the game, correct? Where is this fine line and how is BioWare supposed to realistically enforce this line without the aid of players reporting other players?

Nothing is ever black and white. There are all kinds of grey inbetween and it's the grey part that people never agree on.

Guild chat is voluntary, General Chat is a community chat channel, and I would argue it's the most important channel in the game. I don't care what you say in your guild chat.

The restrictions would be the same that are given on the forums. This is even GENERAL DISCUSSION. If it's trolling HERE, it's trolling in-game. If you can't understand that your Jawa joke isn't funny to everyone, I hope they silence you until you learn what General Chat should be used for. Maybe by observing, it will become clearer.

Guild chat is voluntary, General Chat is a community chat channel, and I would argue it's the most important channel in the game. I don't care what you say in your guild chat.

The restrictions would be the same that are given on the forums. This is even GENERAL DISCUSSION. If it's trolling HERE, it's trolling in-game. If you can't understand that your Jawa joke isn't funny to everyone, I hope they silence you until you learn what General Chat should be used for. Maybe by observing, it will become clearer.

Clearly general chat is supposed to be general...which encompasses all things... even Jawas. I'm not sure if you knew this... but this is a Star Wars game. Jawas are actually in this game. It's game related and Star Wars related to talk about Jawas. Just because you find it offensive doesn't mean it actually is offensive to anyone else. Which is exactly my point on what is this "clearly defined" general chat regulation that you thought up? Because it's obviously not so clearly defined.

Add to this. I understand that politics, religion and other very heated topics with clearly defined positions are off limits. Just like anything that shouldn't be discussed in front of kids... mature content. I just don't see how Jawas or Jawa movie titles alone is offensive. I can see the titles being offensive, but then it's not the Jawas that caused the problem...

Edited by DarkDruidSS

Clearly general chat is supposed to be general...which encompasses all things... even Jawas. I'm not sure if you knew this... but this is a Star Wars game. Jawas are actually in this game. It's game related and Star Wars related to talk about Jawas. Just because you find it offensive doesn't mean it actually is offensive to anyone else. Which is exactly my point on what is this "clearly defined" general chat regulation that you thought up? Because it's obviously not so clearly defined.

Negative. Try that on these forums and see how well it goes over. Trolling is trolling and it's obvious - stop pretending it's some freaking 'grey area' when it's not. Start a troll post about Jawa's here and see how long it lasts. Test your theory.

And stop pretending to know what I think - I'm not offended by it, I honestly don't give a **edit** if you wanna spam it all flipping day - I really don't care. My POINT is that it's foolish for Bioware (as a business) to allow several people the ability to overwhelm the default, and most critical channel, with trollish and childish crap under the guise of it being 'fun'. They have the right to, and I would also say, the responsibility to, keep the channel as free from trolls as they can.

I really think it's amusing that people are so upset by Jawas. If it were just one person spamming over and over again, I can see the GMs doing something about it. But I can almost guarantee that the people who spam things like "YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS" 100 times in a row to drown out the jawa are more likely to get a chat ban then like 80% of the server having fun.

Here is a novel idea. If your ignore list is full and for some reason you can not leave general despite the overwhelming amount of jawa happening, you can always create your own anti-jawa general chat channel.

Step one:

/join NoJawasAllowed

Step two:

/1 If you are sick of seeing underclass jawa wherever you go, just /join NoJawasAllowed so that you can use the channel for all things general without having to interact with those disgusting jawas!

Step three:

Monitor your channel carefully and if you see any Jawa sympathizers you ban them from your channel that clearly states no Jawas allowed.

Problem solved! If you have any other questions or issues, please feel free to contact me on PotF.

*Prices may vary on a case to case basis.

Problem Solver Nik'tika

You are a smart cookie :3

Add to this. I understand that politics, religion and other very heated topics with clearly defined positions are off limits. Just like anything that shouldn't be discussed in front of kids... mature content. I just don't see how Jawas or Jawa movie titles alone is offensive. I can see the titles being offensive, but then it's not the Jawas that caused the problem...

See, you're only looking at it as being 'offensive'. Dude, nothing you, or anyone here, can say would be "offensive" to me. What the spamming/trolling posts of Jawa crap (or any crap tbh) can be though, is "disruptive". Disruptive use of the chat channel should be moderated.

Negative. Try that on these forums and see how well it goes over. Trolling is trolling and it's obvious - stop pretending it's some freaking 'grey area' when it's not. Start a troll post about Jawa's here and see how long it lasts. Test your theory.

And stop pretending to know what I think - I'm not offended by it, I honestly don't give a **edit** if you wanna spam it all flipping day - I really don't care. My POINT is that it's foolish for Bioware (as a business) to allow several people the ability to overwhelm the default, and most critical channel, with trollish and childish crap under the guise of it being 'fun'. They have the right to, and I would also say, the responsibility to, keep the channel as free from trolls as they can.

So you're basically arguing for the sake of arguing... which is trolling... correct?

To be clear. My point is general chat is general. You can talk about pretty much anything that doesn't violate TOS/EULA. If people are being annoying to you then it may not be annoying to everyone. In which case you need to take responsibility for yourself and use filters that were implemented in the game for a reason. I don't see why BioWare has to do anything drastic to deal with people you find annoying just because you don't want to read what they are talking about... especially if they are not in voilation of the terms.

Edited by DarkDruidSS

So you're basically arguing for the sake of arguing... which is trolling... correct?

To be clear. My point is general chat is general. You can talk about pretty much anything that doesn't violate TOS/EULA. If people are being annoying to you then it may not be annoying to everyone. In which case you need to take responsibility for yourself and use filters that were implemented in the game for a reason. I don't see why BioWare has to do anything drastic to deal with people you find annoying just because you don't want to read what they are talking about... especially if they are not in voilation of the terms.

No. I'm debating the topic.

My point is also quite clear, and one you seem hell bent on ignoring - if it's trolling HERE, it's trolling in-game. That's the bottom line. Bioware polices their forums, they should police the game. I'm not asking for anything "drastic" either, just simple moderation.

No. I'm debating the topic.

My point is also quite clear, and one you seem hell bent on ignoring - if it's trolling HERE, it's trolling in-game. That's the bottom line. Bioware polices their forums, they should police the game. I'm not asking for anything "drastic" either, just simple moderation.

Again, my point is that even Trolling is not clearly defined. There are all kinds of topics that don't get closed by BioWare because no one reports them. The ones that get closed fast are usually flagged by users... same system that is used in-game. GM's will take action if people are flagged for abusing the system. I don't think there needs to be a GM baby sitting general chat for the off chance that something is in violation.

Even then it's far easier to police a forum with select few channels as opposed to a server that has a general chat for every planet... every zone with each server being entirely different. Sounds like a lot of man power to monitor just so that people don't get offended.... hence why there are filters and an ignore list built into the game so you can police your own experience.

Why is it that cross faction chat was scrapped because of fears that it would ruin players experiences, while spam in general on the fleet is dismissed so quickly? Cross faction tells are easy to report and ignore, massive spam in general (a chat channel that has a very useful purpose) is difficult or impossible to ignore and does cause difficulties for players. I don't understand.

What is general chat's very useful purpose?

Spamming guild invs?

Spamming LFGs?

Spamming WTS?

I would rather see 'Return of the Wookie' thanks.

So you are admitting that either in game GMs won't police the abuse of general chat or are not allowed to police and that we have to either opt out of general chat or put up with all the goings on. Why have general chat then?

Freedom of speech man, there are always going to be people who annoy you or chat incessantly about things that are mundane or pointless to you, but it is their right to do so, if they are spamming the same message repeatedly or using foul or abusive language then report them, for everything else....it is an MMO its always gonna happen people want attention, the more you give them the longer they will continue to do these things.

And to be completely honest if your spending that much time watching general chat your doing it wrong, /pvp for rwz/wz /3 for trade why would one even need general chat? guild spam? noobs that haven't realized that group finder > spamming for groups?

it may not qualify as "spam", but it would certainly qualify as trolling, which isn't permitted here on the forums, nor should it be permitted in-game. If your trolling in general chat becomes a disruption, you should be silenced. Having "fun" doesn't mean you can do whatever you like. I understand it's a fine line, but it's fairly clear when it's crossed.
↑ ↑ ↑ +5 ↑ ↑ ↑

So you are admitting that either in game GMs won't police the abuse of general chat or are not allowed to police and that we have to either opt out of general chat or put up with all the goings on. Why have general chat then?

Watch out everyone! We got a totalitarian here! Seriously bro, just because you don't like the way something is being handled/used does not mean it has to be policed. You would make an awful president might I add.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.