Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Starting a pvp toon, Sniper or Commando?

ElevenBfour

Not really asking for viability or OP'ness or UP'ness, just general concensus. I have a Vanguard and Jugg to lvl50, I've only been tanking pve stuff. Have pvp'd a little but hardly enough to know what each WZ is really all about. I'm leaning towards a Sniper since I've already played through the Trooper story. The only thing making me want to roll a Commando is the huge gun, I mean c'mon, who doesn't love huge guns.

Stuck stuck stuck, can't decide, Sniper or Commando.... plz help? Would going through the Trooper story line again be extremely boring? How is the Agent story line?

Again, not asking for OP'ness or UP'ness.

Commando is just straight dps or heals, nothing real special, two stuns (4s and aoe 2.5s), and most of the dps comes from spamming a few channeled abilities. Not very mobile, 1 defensive cooldown, easily countered and beaten by most skilled players. If left alone they can do a ton of aoe damage.

Sniper is a direct counter to some of the more OPed classes in the game (PT/VG Pyro/Assault spec, Mara/Sent) with great dps, single target or aoe. They have a lot of CC, stuns, knockbacks with roots, roots, and to a lesser extend if you use it right, combat rolls to different positions. They make excellent Healer killers and have the added benefit of not being able to be leapt too.

IMHO unless you want to heal, I would go with Sniper.

DPS Commando/Merc are my least favorite AC'es. I find them incredibly immobile and boring to play. Add to this that you've already played through the Trooper story and that Commando DPS is the least viable AC for PvP right now and the sniper should be the given choice. I don't know what more to say since I pretty much just repeated what you posted in the OP.

Well Sniper it is. Male ? Females change the story much? I'm a guy but there has always been something cool when I think of a Russian female sniper. Maybe I'm wierd.
I have 8 chars on the server I'm currently on and only two of them are male, a big trooper and a medium sized sorc. The other six are tiny chicks and they all look the same, give or take hairstyle. If I had to re-roll I'd probably only create female characters, they look so much more awesome in everything they do and I'm trying to convince myself that people in warzones are considering them to be less of a threat....which gives me more time to deal damage.

It's, atleast to me, easier to come up with cool names for female characters too.I currently have a really good name for a female character in store so I'm thinking of deleting one of my lowbies just to see if it's available.

Edited by MidichIorian

What crew skill will compliment a Sniper? I've got Artifice on my Jugg, and did Armormech on my Vanguard. I'm thinking Cybertech or Biochem. I might even just run a toon that just gathers stuff along with Slicing to give myself a break from crewskills.

What crew skill will compliment a Sniper? I've got Artifice on my Jugg, and did Armormech on my Vanguard. I'm thinking Cybertech or Biochem. I might even just run a toon that just gathers stuff along with Slicing to give myself a break from crewskills.

I would pick up arms tech brotha, just bc it goes great with armor mech.

Just saying

DPS Commando/Merc are my least favorite AC'es. I find them incredibly immobile and boring to play. Add to this that you've already played through the Trooper story and that Commando DPS is the least viable AC for PvP right now and the sniper should be the given choice. I don't know what more to say since I pretty much just repeated what you posted in the OP.

^ that's playing commando/merc wrong, even when I'm spec'd as arsenal I'm still quite mobile.

Neither. If you want pure pvp go Powertech/Powertech. Currently they are the most powerful pvpers out there. Not sure if it will last though but right now they are killers. There actually is another post from last night with WAY more details onto which class you should pick for pvp. Think it's called "Powertechs/Pyrotechs arent as OP'd as you think" or something like that. Either way that will answer you're questions on all classes because that post has calculations and number data.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.