Mortar Volley vs Death From Above Question

Garmose

Hello,

A friend of mine is having some troubles with this. He has a 50 powertech (tank specc) and he's leveling a venguard. His issue is that his Mortar Volley does more damage than his Death From Above. (His van is level 12 and specced for DPS). What would be the cause of this?

-Garmose

They nerfed the BH back in 1.2 to try to curb the large amount of DPS players on The Imperial side. Commando does better in pretty much every area.

I've played six characters to 50 so far, and commando is the most insanely overpowered of the eight, especially compared to the BH.

By the way, love the sig - I always said the furbies would kill us all someday.

They nerfed the BH back in 1.2 to try to curb the large amount of DPS players on The Imperial side. Commando does better in pretty much every area.

I've played six characters to 50 so far, and commando is the most insanely overpowered of the eight, especially compared to the BH.

By the way, love the sig - I always said the furbies would kill us all someday.

Ahem...

I told myself I wasnt going to log into the forums today, but this is just so incredibly wrong that I had to do something..

The Bounty Hunter and Trooper are exact mirrors of each other. Given equal skill and equal gear (and equal spec), they will do the EXACT same damage as each other. Not to mention that commando/merc dps is considered to be on the lower end of dps output, especially in PVP.

To the OP: Your question makes no sense. A level 12 will never do even remotely close to the same, let alone more, damage than a level 50. Not sure what you are asking.

The only way the original post makes sense is if he is talking about a L50 BH versus a L12 Commando in PvP. If that's what he is talking about it makes sense. The L12 can be twinked, get Bolstered, and see big crits with MV. If the BH doesn't have good PvP gear he won't see the same results. Is your friend talking about damage done in PvP? If he is you can't straight up compare a 10-49 anything with a 50 because the stat bolstering mechanic and Expertise both have a huge impact on your performance.

Both classes are mirrors....with everything else being equal they perform the same.

Ahem...

I told myself I wasnt going to log into the forums today, but this is just so incredibly wrong that I had to do something..

The Bounty Hunter and Trooper are exact mirrors of each other. Given equal skill and equal gear (and equal spec), they will do the EXACT same damage as each other. Not to mention that commando/merc dps is considered to be on the lower end of dps output, especially in PVP.

To the OP: Your question makes no sense. A level 12 will never do even remotely close to the same, let alone more, damage than a level 50. Not sure what you are asking.

I need to ask if you've actually played both classes, because you seem rather mis-informed.

A commando is not identical to a BH - He is a combination of a BH and an IA, with the smuggler getting the other halves. The Commando has many abilities the BH could never hope for, and don't underestimate the added power of assault cannon as opposed to a crappy little blaster. I love my BH - He's my main and my favorite, but he doesn't hold a candle to my commando.

I need to ask if you've actually played both classes, because you seem rather mis-informed.

A commando is not identical to a BH - He is a combination of a BH and an IA, with the smuggler getting the other halves. The Commando has many abilities the BH could never hope for, and don't underestimate the added power of assault cannon as opposed to a crappy little blaster. I love my BH - He's my main and my favorite, but he doesn't hold a candle to my commando.

Not sure if trolling... A Trooper commando is the exact mirror of Bounty Hunter mercenary and the Trooper Vanguard is the exact mirror of a Bounty Hunter Powertech. The only differences between the two is that they have different animations and carry slightly different types of weapons.

Are Vanguards and Powertechs equal? They are supposed to be the mirroe of each other but I have seen some comments that suggest the PT is a stonger PVP toon. I do not know the answer and I plan to play a Vanguard.

10/10 would rage again

Not sure if trolling... A Trooper commando is the exact mirror of Bounty Hunter mercenary and the Trooper Vanguard is the exact mirror of a Bounty Hunter Powertech. The only differences between the two is that they have different animations and carry slightly different types of weapons.

*Sigh*

First, what part of "they don't have the same abilities" are we missing here?

But most important, those 'slightly' different types of weapons? You're talking about an assault cannon versus a pistol.

*Sigh*

But most important, those 'slightly' different types of weapons? You're talking about an assault cannon versus a pistol.

I'm pretty sure you;re trolling, but on the offchance.

Merc/Commando or Vanguard/Powertech are MIRRORS and while the abilities they possess are named differently and have different animations they are functionally identical.

Grav Round=Tracer Round

Demo Round=Heat Seeking Missiles

Full Auto=Unload

Plasma Grenade=Fusion Missile

And so on.

That you levelled both and did not realise this beggars belief, unless you leveled a BH as a powertech and your Trooper as a commando you could not possibly excuse the egregiousness of your lack of knowledge.

*Sigh*

No, we are talking about a DUAL pistol and a cannon. They roughly does the same base DPS, for same quality/skill ofc. If you want to compare a single pistol BH, compare the PT and the vanguard. But the vanguard doesn't use a cannon, he use a blaster rifle.

Classes are mirror in the game. Except for some small balance issue, skill name and animation, they are identical. Same skills, same mechanics, same DPS.

How you manage to lvl both classes and do'nt even see they are mirror is a mystery for me. In less than 10lvl I saw it was mirror like, back when I first played.

Also, when they nerfed the BH, they ALSO nerfed the trooper for the same skills. If you think your commando is OP vs your merc, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by erei

Obviously Trooper and BH are almost exactly identical, but I have always wondered how close the balance is between mirror classes that single-wield (Commando, Sniper) vs. dual-wield (Mercenary, Gunslinger).

For tech abilities, there would be no difference at all, but for ranged abilities Accuracy can slightly affect the damage of dual vs. single-wield. I'd guess there might be a couple percent difference, depending on your Accuracy level.

There's the perfect example why MMO developers should never listen to the community for balance suggestions. If you've played an MMo before it shouldn't take you more than a week to realise the classes are mirrored simply by looking through their talent trees.

The mirrors are:

guardian=juggernaut

sentinel=marauder

sage=sorcerer

shadow=assassin

sniper=gunslinger

operative=scoundrel

powertech=vanguard

mercenary=commando

By god I am sure i got some of them wrong!

The PG slow is still bugged for Vanguards and that is the only known difference between the classes that I'm aware of.

Other than that they are mirrors. People claim that heat is more forgiving than ammo, but I haven't really seen a difference.

Bh and Trooper are mirrors, with the exception of bugs, ofc.

There ARE though some pretty minor differences.

First of all, and this is valid for both ACs, heat is a little better than ammo, though the difference is minimal. If you dig around you will be able to find the precise math, but for simplicity's sake, let's just say that heat is better because you don't have to wait for a whole "point" of ammo to regen, you get a more steady regen of smaller "bits" of heat. This means that you will be able to cast one skill from full heat faster than from zero ammo, and you will be able, again due to regen, to cast more skills before having full heat than you would casting skills with ammo.

That said, it's pretty minor, and only matters in rare circumstances, since most specs, if managed well, can very well keep firing almost continuosly with barely no loss of steady dps, forever.

The second difference is true only between mercs and commandos, and that's dual wielding. I don't remember exactly how it went, but basically the offhand weapon is easier to defend, and to miss. That is true for the mercenary. Now, what does that mean? it means that, over a long enough combat, if the RNG is working correctly, given the same stats and skills, a commando and a mercenary WILL do exactly the same dps, BUT, due to some of the damage for weapon skills (like unload) being offloaded to the offhand, it means you could get more or less than the expected average depending on accuracy rating and the RNG, ofc. So, (and again I want to stress this, it's been a while since I read about this) accuracy may provide slightly a bigger boost to mercenaries than to commandos.

That said: since neither of these differences influence DFA/MV, being that it's a single skill (and so ammo/heat regeneration isn't an issue) AND it's a tech skill (meaning it won't offload part of its damage to the offhand), the question in the OP (and that's if it's not a troll) can only be answered by: they are exactly the same. Any difference is due to difference in levels/equipment and targets between the two examples.

Edited by GeckoOBac

They are exactly the same now, since the animation responsiveness got tweaked. In fact, I'd probably argue that Mortar volley is better as it's a bit less obvious. Flying up to unleash a death from above just screams QUICK, KNOCKBACK/INTERRUPT/STUN ME NOWW

They are exactly the same now, since the animation responsiveness got tweaked. In fact, I'd probably argue that Mortar volley is better as it's a bit less obvious. Flying up to unleash a death from above just screams QUICK, KNOCKBACK/INTERRUPT/STUN ME NOWW

but it looks cool