Assassin/Shadow Tanking Nerfed

LordLazurasVain

This game has lost many tanks cause of the 1.3 update. All the Assassins/Shadows r switching to DPS. The drop from 150% to 115% dosnt sound like much but i sure notice a big difference with my assassin. i went from over 8k armor down to less than 5k. I Belive SWTOR Needs to set the Assassins/Shadows back to the way they were. if u agree then let them know as i am.

I'm a Columi equipped healer. The day 1.3 went live I jumped into a LFG hardmode queue and landed with a Columi equipped Shadow tank. He asked me to evaluate him to help him figure out how bad the nerf was.

The result: He was pretty squishy against large groups and rock solid against smaller groups and on bosses. If the healer is ready for the big groups, the Shadow is fine.

:rak_02:

Assuming, of course, he's appropriately geared for the content he's attempting and is a skilled player. ;)

Edit: I later did another HM with a well-geared Vanguard tank (Full Rakata + some BH) and he was almost as squishy as the Shadow on big groups. Shadow is fine.

Edited by DarthTHC

Right after 1.3 I healed a sin tank and he was dropping health like he was wearing paper.

healed sin tank on kephess hm and i used to be able to solo heal him while the other tank dropped the circles, but now i need a lil help.

Columi Shadow Tank here. I was worried a little about the changes. After one HM FP, I am no longer worried. We are a little more in line with other tank classes now which is the way it should be! The class is right where it needs to be atm, as far as tanking goes. To me, it is still one of the most versatile classes in the game. We have great stealth, great survivability and decent damage.

Why are all these columi geared ppl running hard mode flashpoints talking? Try being in 126 gear with dailies mods and step into a hard mode. It's ridiculous your health goes left and right like a tennis ball and the healer has to struggle to keep you up. How are you supposed to gear up if you can't even do the flashpoints properly? Sorry somethings not right and needs to be looked at.

Columi Shadow Tank here. I was worried a little about the changes. After one HM FP, I am no longer worried. We are a little more in line with other tank classes now which is the way it should be! The class is right where it needs to be atm, as far as tanking goes. To me, it is still one of the most versatile classes in the game. We have great stealth, great survivability and decent damage.

I have an assassin tank in a mix of columni and tionese gear, sort of. Still have dps implants, blue relics, and a blue earpiece. No augmented gear (yet). Over the course of several hardmodes (tier1) I found that I was a bit squishier than before, but in-line with my other tanks (Juggernaut and PT). Against single-targets my survivability and threat generation are both excellent. Against large groups my charges of Dark Ward can drop very quickly and leave me comparitively very squishy.

Can't really complain, when my juggernaut deals with large groups he has issues getting his new AOE-on-full-sunder-stacks to trigger before the mobs have died. Each class is going to have its complaints - that's probably the best indicator of "reasonably balanced" I can think of. My Juggernaut envies my assassin's aoe threat, how easy it is, and my Assassin envies the Juggernaut for not having to depend on a short-duration limited-charge buff to be that solid.

Why are all these columi geared ppl running hard mode flashpoints talking? Try being in 126 gear with dailies mods and step into a hard mode. It's ridiculous your health goes left and right like a tennis ball and the healer has to struggle to keep you up. How are you supposed to gear up if you can't even do the flashpoints properly? Sorry somethings not right and needs to be looked at.

Start with just doing Black Talon, and maybe Boarding Party hardmodes. That and a random daily level 50 (not hardmode) combined with doing your regular dailies. This should help you bridge the gap until you start getting some better gear. I had to do that (without getting daily comms for regular 50s too I might add) with both my 'sin and my jugger tanks. Should be easier now.

Also bear in mind you will need to use CCs - that's as intended. Other tanks use CCs largely because they can't reliably hold that many mobs. In our case we can but unless we are seriously geared we'll be in trouble for different reasons. Single-target against bosses you should be fine - just prioritize your defensive debuffs over damage. Check your gear, better to have blue tank gear than purple dps gear - you'll want plenty of +shield and +absorb and then as much +defense as you can get otherwise.

I'm a Columi equipped healer. The day 1.3 went live I jumped into a LFG hardmode queue and landed with a Columi equipped Shadow tank. He asked me to evaluate him to help him figure out how bad the nerf was.

The result: He was pretty squishy against large groups and rock solid against smaller groups and on bosses. If the healer is ready for the big groups, the Shadow is fine.

:rak_02:

Assuming, of course, he's appropriately geared for the content he's attempting and is a skilled player. ;)

Edit: I later did another HM with a well-geared Vanguard tank (Full Rakata + some BH) and he was almost as squishy as the Shadow on big groups. Shadow is fine.

This has been my exact experience except I'm the shadow tank.

Yes, shadow tanking got a nerf, I personally think it puts us below the tanking ability of other tanks. However, It is such a small difference most people would never know it given equal gearing.

Players will simply state its a nerf so it must be world ending and class crippling.

The nerf was not either of those.

This game has lost many tanks cause of the 1.3 update. All the Assassins/Shadows r switching to DPS. The drop from 150% to 115% dosnt sound like much but i sure notice a big difference with my assassin. i went from over 8k armor down to less than 5k. I Belive SWTOR Needs to set the Assassins/Shadows back to the way they were. if u agree then let them know as i am.

you're not very good at math, first of you didnt have 8k armor, blatent lie.

Second even if you did have 8k, then the your new armor would be 6133 not less than 5k.

I would deffinatly prefere the way it was before, but the changes are not even close to beeing as gamebreaking as ppl make it sound, unless you're really bad at playing the class.

But then again if you're small, then even the small things will seem big.

Edited by upzie

just saw a shadow solo tank the fabricator. the class is fine.

but this is an MMO post wow, didn't you that any change of any kind completely and totally rendered a class 100% useless so the bad players of that class must rush to the forums to QQ?