The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

What level are PTs effective in WZs

Kraegore

I'm going to start another alt to level through warzones, and i can't choose between Powertech and Assassin/Sniper.

From looking at their skills and trees it looks like they are most effective at about 43, but im just wondering how people have performed at much lower levels. In terms of damage and group utility.

Don't say theres no difference between 10 and 49 because there is a huge difference.

Edited by Kraegore

Dunno how you define effective but I was clearing 230k damage with 30-40 kills at level 16 last night. You don't have a ton of abilities yet but you do have some very effective ones. This was with my first points put into the pyro tree.

I see 6 powertechs in every warzone, yet these forums are dead.

Interesting.

It's not a great question, sorry. We do very well from 10-49, and at 50 in my experience. I leveled primarily as AP (cut with Shieldtech) pre-1.2, for the record, and did quite well, and that was widely considered a gimp spec at the time.

Really your question is one of playstyle. Sniper/Gunslinger I find is a lot of run, find a nook, shoot for as long as you think you can get away with it, relocate, repeat. Powertech/Vanguard PvP is all about movement and controlling your engagement range. It's far more dynamic which is why I prefer it.

It's not a great question, sorry. We do very well from 10-49, and at 50 in my experience. I leveled primarily as AP (cut with Shieldtech) pre-1.2, for the record, and did quite well, and that was widely considered a gimp spec at the time.

Really your question is one of playstyle. Sniper/Gunslinger I find is a lot of run, find a nook, shoot for as long as you think you can get away with it, relocate, repeat. Powertech/Vanguard PvP is all about movement and controlling your engagement range. It's far more dynamic which is why I prefer it.

I already know the playstyles of classes, i just don't want to be stuck pveing for 40 levels until i can be of full use to my team.

I might give a PT a try though, thanks to both of you.

Edited by Kraegore

10-49 were great. There was no point in there that I felt like I did not belong in a warzone. This is a big difference compared to both of my warriors. Frankly, my PT feels more at home in a WZ than my sorc or op did. You have no reason to not roll a PT and pvp with it whenever you see fit. The class is mobile and effective at every level.

I'm going to start another alt to level through warzones, and i can't choose between Powertech and Assassin/Sniper.

From looking at their skills and trees it looks like they are most effective at about 43, but im just wondering how people have performed at much lower levels. In terms of damage and group utility.

Don't say theres no difference between 10 and 49 because there is a huge difference.

Very effective

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8656/screenshot2012062821340.jpg

Pyro-PT rock from lvl10 on. You have all the essential dd abilities at hand, just the heat management is a bit trickier.

Snipers also are pretty viable in wz starting from lvl10, but not as good as pyros in my opinion (I leveled both as pub toons as rep toons post-1.2)

If anything, these 2 ACs are the best for low lvl pvp from the start.

I already know the playstyles of classes, i just don't want to be stuck pveing for 40 levels until i can be of full use to my team.

I might give a PT a try though, thanks to both of you.

I felt useful to my team from level 10 on. I like to mix PvP with my leveling, so regardless of AC I queue early and I queue often. You'll have more toys as you progress (Grapple probably being the most dramatic tool, particularly in Huttball), but you're fully capable of doing some disruption and killing people right out of the gate.

To whoever mentioned doing great at 11 as a Pyro (damn the lack of multiquote!): pre-20ish, spec doesn't matter. The success you're seeing is the strength of the basic Powertech chassis in the 10-49 bracket.

your absolute peak performance will be at level 27 right when you cap out PPA, as then you're still getting some of the best benefits from bolster without sinking tons of time/credits into gear.

In terms of being effective, as pyro dps you'll be doing great damage right from the go, as for shield tech and AP you'll need to wait a bit until you get decent enough passives to be any good at your role. I've only just hit 40 and respecced from pyro to ST

your absolute peak performance will be at level 27 right when you cap out PPA, as then you're still getting some of the best benefits from bolster without sinking tons of time/credits into gear.

Basically what this guy said ( for Pyro). Everything past lvl 27 is just icing on the cake.

Not sure about AP or ST, but you're pretty dang effective right from the get-go.

I got 220k damage in my very first WZ as a gunslinger at lvl 11. You get your primary moves as a pt pretty early so you should be effective as soon as you have flame burst, railshot, and rocket punch.

^^^

289k 64-0 in my first HB @ lvl 11, PT/PT. (i have a VR60+ Merc/PT)

Edited by T-Assassin

They can be effective from level 10. They get better as u get more talent points and it helps, obviously. But unlike some classes they can be helpful. This is from a Pyro view point. For the other 2 lines you need to be higher.

I found them to be effective right from the start to be honest. I hopped into my first WZ with my Pyro at about level 19. A little late in the game, but I snuck into one just for fun. I finished top DPS (I don't even know how this happened as it wasn't even that high) with about 155k damage. Not bad for my first WZ on my new level 19 Bounty Hunter. He he. I think I need to work on my AOE damage for Warzones though. This seems to be where alot of damage will come from. I still manage to tick the enemy team off good enough hehe. I am level 43 now and I have only played about 3 or 4 warzones so far. I am focussing on finishing my class story before going heavy into PVP. Even with those few WZs that I have played I still finished top in DPS for each one. My highest DPS so far has been about 190k.

the fact is that player skill has more impact on the under 50 pvp. it's true that there is a slight advantage with having more skills available/granting more utility to the higher level player, but player skill can mostly cover the disparity. capped pvp is more of a gear check over skill game imo. too much power creep@50.

i found pvping with my PT/Pyro enjoyable from level 11 on. i did not feel underpowered against any level 49. it's a different story with an AP build, because you need the top tier talents in order to make that build work = level 40 barrier to entry for that build.

does anyone really want to pvp in a tank/tank hybrid build after 1.3?