Diminishing returns on Shielding and Absorption?

technomonkey

So over the past few days I have been trying to search to see if their are any diminishing returns on Shielding and absorption. Is anyone aware of diminishing returns on these 2 stats and if so how high should i go in each before i look at slotting something else.

Currently my shield chance is 52.5% and my absorption is 50.2% (with out the 4 stack buff from the tank tree) if that helps any ( Im unable to log into game at this time to give you the specific number that my shielding and absorption are at)

thanks for the help.

So over the past few days I have been trying to search to see if their are any diminishing returns on Shielding and absorption. Is anyone aware of diminishing returns on these 2 stats and if so how high should i go in each before i look at slotting something else.

Currently my shield chance is 52.5% and my absorption is 50.2% (with out the 4 stack buff from the tank tree) if that helps any ( Im unable to log into game at this time to give you the specific number that my shielding and absorption are at)

thanks for the help.

Check this chart out. It should explain what you are needing to know....it's valid for 1.2 so should still affect these stats in 1.3.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/Antimony_photo/2500RatingBenefit.png

• 2 weeks later...
So does this mean shield/absorb can go to over 50% without diminish returns? I run dps Vg so tanking is new to me.

Mathematically speaking, all secondary stats have diminishing returns, starting from the very first point you put into them. There isn't a magic point where diminishing returns "switch on".

That being said...for defensive stats (Defense Rating, Shield Rating, Absorb Rating) they all decrease in value at fairly similar rates, so there isn't really a point where you should stop stacking one in favor of the others. As opposed to offensive stats, where the value of Power/Mainstat stays fairly steady, while Crit/Surge start fantastic and drop down to almost nothing.

Check this chart out. It should explain what you are needing to know....it's valid for 1.2 so should still affect these stats in 1.3.

http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp45/Antimony_photo/2500RatingBenefit.png

That chart can't be right. Surge tops out at 30%? No. DR on Surge is up around 70%.

Crit 30%, Surge 70% - BUFFED with Force Valor + Force Might + Lucky Shots - that's the good 'ol formula, then stack Power as it never DR's. (for a DPS). Get Accuracy to 100% (Ranged) in there somewhere. I run Iron Fist 25/14/2 or Assault 5/5/31.

Regarding the OP's question, when I set up as a pure tank I want 30/50/50 on Defense/Shield/Absorption, that's plenty, and everything else into Endurance, DPS be damned. Hard to get defense that high but it is doable. No need to worry about Accuracy either on a tank. I use a 30/8/3 spec.

Regarding the OP's question, when I set up as a pure tank I want 30/50/50 on Defense/Shield/Absorption, that's plenty, and everything else into Endurance, DPS be damned. Hard to get defense that high but it is doable. No need to worry about Accuracy either on a tank. I use a 30/8/3 spec.

Having the Defense chance around 30 is that high of a defense chance noticeable? Right now my defense chance is 11% with both my shielding and absorption in the 56% range. Am I hindering myself by having that extra 12% in those two stats as opposed to putting that 12% into Defense chance?

That chart can't be right. Surge tops out at 30%? No. DR on Surge is up around 70%.

Crit 30%, Surge 70% - BUFFED with Force Valor + Force Might + Lucky Shots - that's the good 'ol formula, then stack Power as it never DR's. (for a DPS). Get Accuracy to 100% (Ranged) in there somewhere. I run Iron Fist 25/14/2 or Assault 5/5/31.

Read the chart correctly please. This is the bonus % you get only from rating. For example 300 crit rate gives you extra ~11% crit.

With the ease of threat after 1.3 - I have been dropping accuracy for either more hp or defensive stats. In the end I think hp would be the best. On fatman there is a vengaurd with 29k hp buffed.

He has endurance augs on all gear - and has the 53 endurance BH mod in every slot. Pretty insane, but I would like to see his defensive stats with all that hp and no defensive mods.

Imagine 29k hp? - Even if it means only 20% def chance, and 40shield/40 absorb - I bet thats the best way to go.

I really try to avoid the forums as they tend to be the biggest source of lunacy, and misinformation in most any game. They allow so much just plain wrong information to be put forth. Trusting people get lead down the wrong path believing in things that are just plain not true at all.

That being said, I will try to help clear up some of those misunderstandings and hopefully allow those reading for their own research to find some semblance of success.

As noted by a previous post, those curves are ONLY for your ratings. They get added to whatever base you start from. You would add that 30% to your base 50% Surge. Making Surge top out at 80%.

I will not touch what your personal values are for crit/surge/etc. Or how you feel to properly gear your character. Those can be seen as a matter of preference.

However, as a Vanguard you do NOT need accuracy -at all-. The sole purpose of it being a counter to PvP dodge(defense) chance. The only ranged non-special attack that Vanguards possess is "Hammer Shot". All other abilities are noted as Tech, or are Special Ranged Attacks. You can check these by looking at your abilities list. After noting what they are you can check your character sheet and confirm that the only ability you possess with less than 100% chance to hit is the aforementioned hammer shot. PvE it is a dead stat for all intensive purposes at this point in time. If you further do not believe me then log your combat, and run it through a parser. When you look at the information you will note that (in PvE) the only time you ever miss is with "Hammer Shot".

This statement is just so horridly wrong. Flat out terribad. If you are a prospective Vanguard tank please burn any such knowledge from your mind.

1) 30/50/50 values are not able to be achieved, and if they were would be at the detriment to the character as a whole. If you look at the previous chart linked, and refer to your character in game you will note that you as a Vanguard have a base 5% Defense. You would require the remainder from Defense Rating. 25% by Defense rating puts you in the area of ~1300. Which is so far out there it's unbelievable. If you tried to achieve this rating your absorb would absolutely suffer.

2) Defense is your LOWEST priority by far as a Vanguard tank. You gain no special benefit when you dodge an attack. When you shield an attack you recieve two. The game makes two defensive rolls for your character when you are attacked with a defendable attack. First it checks if you dodge/defend the attack, if you do not it carries out the second check vs your shield.

Every time you increase your defense you lower the productivity of Shield/Absorb. Which thereby lowers your chance to reset "Stockstrike", and your ammo regen by shield proc.

3) 30/8/3 is a terrible build. Regardless of if I believe the 8% Stockstrike damage vs 2% endurance is a better choice, there is simply no intelligent argument for 1% endurance vs a free attack that operates outside the global CD, and refunds ammo. None. Nada. One percent of your endurance even if you stacked endurance in favour of all else (~2700 for argument) is 270 hp. 270 hp vs "Energy Blast". There's no comparison. None.

Moving forward...

Having the Defense chance around 30 is that high of a defense chance noticeable? Right now my defense chance is 11% with both my shielding and absorption in the 56% range. Am I hindering myself by having that extra 12% in those two stats as opposed to putting that 12% into Defense chance?

Going under the assumption that you see what I'm talking about in defense vs shield/absorb let me highlight a few things that can possibly help you in your own conclusions.

Mathematically speaking Shield vs Absorb have a 1:1 ratio for effectiveness in a situation where every attack is shieldable. Imagine that your character is going to be subject to 100 attacks of 100 damage. Easy numbers for easy math.

a) 40% Shield/ 50% Absorb. You shield 40 of the attacks, absorbing 50 damage each time for a total of 2000 points of damage avoided.

b) 50% Shield / 40% Absorb. You shield 50 of the attacks, absorbing 40 damage each time for a total of 2000 points of damage avoided.

From that understanding what do we know? We know that shield and absorb are directly even theoretically over an infinite amount of attacks. We know that when we shield an attack we get bonuses because of our build (plus to shield). We know that curve for shield is shallower than the curve for absorb. It gains more value per point absorb (plus to absorb).

Unfortunately not every attack in the game is shieldable(or defendable). Only attacks that are classified as melee or ranged are. Tech/Force attacks are not defendable. Some bosses have few, and in some cases no shieldable attacks (Zorn or Stormcaller in EC for example). Being that shieldable attacks are in limited supply I personally give a small lean on my character towards shield. The math previous has shown that they are 1:1 in a perfect universe, but I do personally lean to have a little big more shield rating than absorb just for a couple extra percent chance to get one of those successful defenses. With your shield/absorb at roughly equal values you're doing something similar already. This favoritism is not on a basis of min/max, only play style.

Currently in game no matter how you stack your shield vs absorb you're going to be in a good position. Keep your defense where you're at. If you feel you don't like what further improvements to your shield/absorb are you can pick up a couple percent defense without worrying about hurting your character too much. Or for more productively you can put those points towards endurance.

... In the end I think hp would be the best. On fatman there is a vengaurd with 29k hp buffed.

He has endurance augs on all gear - and has the 53 endurance BH mod in every slot. Pretty insane, but I would like to see his defensive stats with all that hp and no defensive mods.

Imagine 29k hp? - Even if it means only 20% def chance, and 40shield/40 absorb - I bet thats the best way to go.

There is that argument that stacking HP/Endurance is a productive measure for a tank. As noted earlier not every attack is defendable/shieldable. The only statistics that matter for those attacks are your flat out damage type mitigations and your HP. Your mitigation is tied to your armor, spec, and buffs. Your endurance is the only thing you really have control over as you build your character.

When you come to the point where you're looking at what is best for you (and by proxy the people you play with) it is completely situational. Total HP is kind of like an hourglass. An allotment of time for healers to react to the hits that you will be taking. If you play with less reactive/skilled/geared healers you do them a favor by giving them more time. If you play with more reactive/skilled/geared healer they won't need that time as much. At a certain point you are above anything you need, and are actually hurting your tanking ability and are larger drain on your raid as a whole.

Sixteen man content tends to slightly larger hits (both defendable and not), along with double (or more...) healers. The tanks in that content favor extra HP. They don't need to avoid as much as the fights are less tightly tuned, and healing resources are more plentiful.

Eight man content tends to slightly smaller hits, but with far more tightly tuned content. Healing can really be a question of resource management. The tanks in this type of content favor extra avoidance. Every attack you avoid means the healer can keep someone else alive that little bit longer.

Is either way better? Two different situations. To each their own.

I hope this helped you in some way. Best of luck in all your tanking endeavors.

Edited by Justcae

'Just' another long-winded post by someone who is framing their personal opinion (nothing more) in a storm of five-dollar words (btw check your grammar). Riding into camp and announcing that you are here to save all of us mathematical heathens from ourselves and each other's misguided playstyles just makes me shake my head in wonder.

'Just' another long-winded post by someone who is framing their personal opinion (nothing more) in a storm of five-dollar words (btw check your grammar). Riding into camp and announcing that you are here to save all of us mathematical heathens from ourselves and each other's misguided playstyles just makes me shake my head in wonder.

Here let me sum it up for you then Chaz.

If you actually read my wall of text you'd see that a lot of it is personal opinion. That I suggest guidelines for multiple ways of building. That I couldn't care less where you really put your point allotment. Favor more endurance? Go for it. Favor 2% endurance over "Stockstrike" damage? Go for it. Where you want your offensive stats at? Your prerogative. How you actually balance shield/absorb? Can't go wrong.

Your advice is terrible, and actually hurtful to other players that hope to be a success in this game. You put numbers that are not achievable. You tout them as if they are what, and they are actually degrading in nature. The class would play worse with those choices. Not getting "Energy Blast" in preference of ~250 health is a bad choice. You pay your monthly fee so feel free to play the game in any way you desire. However, if you are going to put posts on forums making fake numbers and bad assumptions you will continue to get called out.

Btw, check your grammar as well. I never claimed to be an English professor. At least be sure of your own grammar before you nitpick mine.

Do you eat Paint Chips?

Chaz your signature is quite appropriate to what you have posted thus far. You truly don't know what you're doing.

Even Guardians, who can feasibly get up to and over 30%, defense won't. The cost is too great and the benefit too little, not to mention our class is constructed so that we gain extra defense when using certain abilities. If you look at the gestalt of your defensive stats, stacking more shield/absorb is the way to go after a certain point. That's not to say defense is useless, but it is a balancing act. If getting 1% more defense costs me 2-3% shield absorb, that hinders my overall "survivability". That doesn't even touch on the benefits a Vanguard gets from shielding an attack which Justcae outlined quite clearly.

And devolving to grammar attacks while creating one of the most intricately crafted abuses of the English language smacks of a child who lashes out at his mother after he was told to clean up his toys.

I actually liked (and agree) with what he posted.

Lol it's SO funny to read the misguided 'advice' from people who are better at debating than playing. The best defense is a good offense etc. The one screaming the loudest about my advice being horrible and hurtful is actually the one giving bad advice, but it's no longer about tanking in SWTOR is it? I've seen this many times before in <insert MMO of your choice> forums. I think this is a mini-game within the game lol.

No time to link quotes but who said '30/8/3 is a horrible spec" and "it's bad advice to NOT take Energy Blast" ? What tank would take Energy Blast at all? Totally wasted point in your skill tree. Wasted. might as well not commit it.

How about "defense is horrible, forget that, you need shield/absorption to proc your useless beer cooler skill" Haha, really... stacking S/A over D could only come from the mind of one who has no experience tanking and has no understanding of the combat system. Let's see - higher defense means you don't get hit - no hit no damage - a tank's job is to hold aggro and s u r v i v e. not getting hit sounds pretty good to me, the more hits I avoid, hell there's honey in there.

Here's a good one - "omg Accuracy Accuracy I can't believe he said get it to 100% what a waste omg". Lemme think a sec *looks at label on shirt* Yep, we're tanks. Tank. Aggro. Taunts. Nevermind 1.3 you need 100% Ranged Accuracy to ensure each and every Taunt lands as God intended.

I'd go on but I have stuff to do IRL and to the windbag posters and their posse all I can say is - there ain't no cure for stupid.

Lol it's SO funny to read the misguided 'advice' from people who are better at debating than playing. The best defense is a good offense etc. The one screaming the loudest about my advice being horrible and hurtful is actually the one giving bad advice, but it's no longer about tanking in SWTOR is it? I've seen this many times before in <insert MMO of your choice> forums. I think this is a mini-game within the game lol.

No time to link quotes but who said '30/8/3 is a horrible spec" and "it's bad advice to NOT take Energy Blast" ? What tank would take Energy Blast at all? Totally wasted point in your skill tree. Wasted. might as well not commit it.

How about "defense is horrible, forget that, you need shield/absorption to proc your useless beer cooler skill" Haha, really... stacking S/A over D could only come from the mind of one who has no experience tanking and has no understanding of the combat system. Let's see - higher defense means you don't get hit - no hit no damage - a tank's job is to hold aggro and s u r v i v e. not getting hit sounds pretty good to me, the more hits I avoid, hell there's honey in there.

Here's a good one - "omg Accuracy Accuracy I can't believe he said get it to 100% what a waste omg". Lemme think a sec *looks at label on shirt* Yep, we're tanks. Tank. Aggro. Taunts. Nevermind 1.3 you need 100% Ranged Accuracy to ensure each and every Taunt lands as God intended.

I'd go on but I have stuff to do IRL and to the windbag posters and their posse all I can say is - there ain't no cure for stupid.

So...seriously.... do you eat paint?

*whispers* Taunts don't miss......shhh...everything is going to be ok.

Oh and allow me to add this. I have healed justcae through all of the content in this game and he is a healer's dream.

Edited by Nursejenna

Actually every counter point I've made has been either in response to you directly, or absolutely on point about tanking. But why not? If you want a partner to match wits with I will happily join.

Any tank, person, or monkey with any semblance of reasoning can understand why you'd take it. But I'll break it down for you.

1. Operates outside the GCD. A free attack. It in no way interferes with anything.

2. It does decent damage which contributes to threat.

3. It gives you 1 ammo / 15s. Which allows you to do more threat and damage.

Those awesome things aside, you would rather trade that for 1% endurance? As noted earlier, even if you stack your HP above all else you are going to get ~25 Endurance from that talent point, or ~250 HP. If you can not see that Energy Blast > 250 HP, I literally can not help you. You're being beyond ignorant.

I've tanked everything 8 Man this game currently has to offer successfully (EV Nightmare, KP Nightmare, EC HM), and Nightmare Pilgrim 16 Man. If you do not believe me, or of you care to look here is a screenshot with my stats on the "Aratech Nightscythe". The reward for beating all content HM. All the gear is (61), and augmented. All augments are Shield/Power, or Absorb Power. What can I say? I like the Rakata chest graphic!

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5378/justcae.jpg

Defense is not useless. It is however LESS beneficial to our class. Your points are better spent towards S/A. You do get bonuses from your class for doing so. You do not get those for defense. You are in no way LESS survivable. In point of fact you are actually making my argument for me. As a tank you want to hold "hold aggro and s u r v i v e" right?

1. S/A allows you to survive just as well as Defense.

2. By shielding an attack you regain ammo (50% chance), and reset your Stockstrike. Both of which increase your overall threat generation. Making your TPS > than if you didn't shield!

You clearly have no understanding of accuracy in game. Again, let me help you as you are clearly in need of help understanding these mechanics.

As a vanguard we have three types of abilites. Those abilities are as follows.

Ranged attacks are broken down into two categories. Those categories are "Basic" and "Special". Basic attacks have a base 90% accuracy. We only have one "Basic" attack, and that is "Hammer Shot". Furthermore it is a multiple hit attack. Each attack has several separate hit rolls. You might have all hit, you might have a couple miss. I've never run into a time where every single bolt of Hammer Shot missed. Special Ranged attacks have a base 100% accuracy.

Tech attacks are not broken down into different categories. If it's a tech attack it is already special. All tech attacks have a 100% accuracy.

Active abilities have no tie to accuracy at all. If you hit them, they become active and their effect occurs. Examples of these abilities are Reserve Ammo, Reactive Shield and... OUR TAUNTS. If you use these abilities they simply happen there is no way they don't. Even in PvP if a person had a 10000% defense chance these will never ever miss.

If you are confused by what I am talking about, or if you are a separate individual and simply wish to see what I am talking about go to your abilities panel located at the top of your screen (unless you moved it elsewhere lol). When you look at your abilities, on the right of each ability it will tell you what type it is.

A side note on Tech/Force attacks for those interested. Defense and Shield are only affected by Melee/Range type attacks. If you mouse over your defense on your character panel you'll see it's broken down into four parts. Melee Dodge, Range Dodge, Resistance, Resistance. The two "Resistance" categories are your unlabeled Force/Tech resists. They are not affected by rating. They are only affected by spec. They are your base chance to avoid Force/Tech. For all intensive purposes all Force/Tech attacks are unavoidable. Both those you yourself activate, and those activated on yourself.

The cure for stupid is education. Which is what someday I hope you will be able to understand.

To everyone else in this thread that has either learned/enjoyed what was said thank you. I appreciate your supportive posts.

Edited by Justcae

Justcae i honestly wouldnt waste my time with this baddie. Anyone on here that reads this post is agreeing with you and laughing at him. IDK his name but whatever it is let me know how u manage your heat/ammo when u hit 30% d lol. free attack for 45 seconds to get heat down after 1 rotation is not optimal.

I'm almost all campaign augmented gear( all aim/endurence 18/12) the only 2 pieces im missing are the boots and offhand.. im sitting at 51 shield 54 absorb and 16 d w/ 26.5k HP(31/8/2 not taking the ****** endurance stat) not to mention the 1935 aim blows all other tanks dps out the water

Edited by wetslampigduex

In case someone want to get the exact values, you kind find the exact formulas here:

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/Thread-SWTOR-formula-list

I'd also like to point out that all ranged attacks have a base accuracy of 90%, not just hammer shot. However, the only other ranged attacks that a vanguard has are high impact bolt and full auto, so accuracy is still mostly pointless for the class.

I'm almost all campaign augmented gear( all aim/endurence 18/12) the only 2 pieces im missing are the boots and offhand.. im sitting at 51 shield 54 absorb and 16 d w/ 26.5k HP(31/8/2 not taking the ****** endurance stat) not to mention the 1935 aim blows all other tanks dps out the water

I haven't actually mathed, but my intuition is that if you wanted to boost your DPS while still being very tanky, you'd do best to get some Crit and Surge augments, rather than stacking Aim augments. Of course, if you already have some Crit and Surge on your other gear, Aim might be more attractive.

After reading this thread I had to login and post support for Just, along with a thank-you for the time spent. Truly there is HORRIBLE misinformation from ***-hats like the this troll that posted back. I've tanked most of the content in this game. Current stats are 54% shield, 58% absorb, 15% def. Accuracy @ 95%.

I spent countless hours (on work time of course) researching sites and info for min/max stuff. Just's post is accurate and comprehensive. Rely on it. The other guy posting is a complete idiot and needs to re-read your post and re-spec.

My only addition to what was said here is that Endurance is more worthless than you might think. Yes you only get a SMALL increase from 3% but that's not the important thing. Whats important is that in a boss fight you are going to go through your ENTIRE health pool about 20+ times (lose health, get healed, lose health etc.). You come out FAR FAR FAR ahead taking less damage on all hits over the course of that 20 times you are going to go through your health pool than just tacking on more base points to your starting health.

Adding say 500 HP is great, for the beginning of a fight. Once you take a shot though you will be consistently fluxing from X health to Y health, and RARELY ever get back up to 100% full. This means that the additional health is meaningless. I.E. if I am in middle of a boss fight, and my health is rocking from 50% to 80% back to 50% the entire fight due to heals and hits... my MAX health doesn't really factor in. Before the haters start YES it is beneficial to have more health... of course it is, but it is MORE beneficial to have defensive stats.

--RhinoB

Oh and the down and dirty way to distribute your stat points is this. Add up all your POINTS for SC AB and DF. (not your talent spec totals, just the RAW # of gear/aug points you have in each. Take that total and divide each stat by this #. So SR\Total = AB\Total = DEF\Total = . Those numbers should be roughly distributed as 40% AB 40% SR and 20% DEF. KEEP IN MIND we are NOT talking about your final percentages for SR, we are talking about the # of points you have in SR, which after spec and talents will end up being a much higher %. Hope I didnt just confuse everyone.

Edited by RhinoUF