What is now the most powerful DPS build for a commando?

Musclemary

I guess its early days to see what 1.3 has done to the classes, but prior to this I was thinking of changing my sepc anyways. I'm currently playing a Gunnery spec commando but was starting to find the constant blasting of grav round a bore. I have heard that assault overall does much higher DPS.

bearing in mind I am not interested in PVP, could someone please post a great dps spec Gunnery or Assault..which ever is highest, that will allow me to remain competitive in HM Ops.

I'd really appreciate it :);)

...but was starting to find the constant blasting of grav round a bore...

With respect, I'm surprised to hear this canard from a gunnery spec'd Commando.

Sure, I hit grav round a lot, but that's to set up my cool downs and also give them time to pop. I end up watching for active buttons as much in my Commando as in my Sent.

HiB, and Demo Round, spiced with Full Auto and Charged Bolts -- these are what get the kills.

Edited by SweetOldBob

I went to Denove SM yesterday with THIS TALENT TREE (Gunnery).

I feel that a slight different build here is better. Alacrity is about the single worst stat ever for Gunnery, in some cases even reducing your overall DPS. Please don't ask me how, I didn't do the math, I'm just quoting places like noxxic and askmrrobot.

I took the 2 points from Weapon Calibrations and put them in Advanced Tech. The added healing received is a remarkably understated help to both your healers' peace of mind and to your survivability. And it also helps when you throw out the odd heal to help out. The effect is cumulative when you heal yourself.

Edited by darwinschainsaw

HiB, and Demo Round, spiced with Full Auto and Charged Bolts -- these are what get the kills.

Why Charged Bolt? It has the same (average) damage (last I checked at least) & casting time as Grav Round but without the debuff. Is it for a bit of variety?

Why Charged Bolt? It has the same (average) damage (last I checked at least) & casting time as Grav Round but without the debuff. Is it for a bit of variety?

Maybe I'm delusional, but I would have sworn that sometimes CB is up when Grav Round is not. If not, never mind. :o

This is more of a PvE thing than PvP, but I try to defer recharging the cells as long as I can dish out significant damage so that I won't be stuck spamming hammer shots at a boss who just won't die.

I feel that a slight different build here is better. Alacrity is about the single worst stat ever for Gunnery, in some cases even reducing your overall DPS. Please don't ask me how, I didn't do the math, I'm just quoting places like noxxic and askmrrobot.

I took the 2 points from Weapon Calibrations and put them in Advanced Tech. The added healing received is a remarkably understated help to both your healers' peace of mind and to your survivability. And it also helps when you throw out the odd heal to help out. The effect is cumulative when you heal yourself.

If you're going to put points into heals, Steady Hands is by far the better option--especially if you're planning on using heals as a last resort. The times when you'll need to use heals the most--as a gunnery spec--is when you're under fire and getting low on health. Being able to give yourself a shot in the arm when you're getting pounded on is a lifesaver in many situations. 2% better heals with Advanced Tech is not with the 2 skill points in my opinion.

The current spec for gunnery that is putting out the highest DPS is an Alacrity build (7/31/3).

The current spec for gunnery that is putting out the highest DPS is an Alacrity build (7/31/3).

Was'nt the maths on the alacrity based build done prior to to the cell charger changes and based on a having Campaign level equipment across the board?

Non sense. I would bet you never logged into the game since 1.3 (or didn't read all the talent changes). Maths were also done pre 1.3 and I bet they will now go for a (5/31/5) combination like mine. And yes, if we are speaking about the same maths they are referring for a campaign stuff, but also for a mercenary build, and mercenay are dual weapon user, there is a sligh difference in the misses.

Which would put the edge in our favor since we don't have to build for so much accuracy. Your point is invalid. How is it nonsense? Especially with more consistent regen completely independent of having to use any ability to get it.

BTW new regen is sexy as hell if yall haven't tried it yet.

Grav Round x3 > HiB > Demo Round > FA (depending on procs) > repeat as necessary is now a pretty sexy rotation that pretty much never runs out of ammo, though I feel like I'm proccing CoF less often. Went an entire adrenal cycle last night without proccing it once. That's 11 grav rounds with not one proc.

Non sense. I would bet you never logged into the game since 1.3 (or didn't read all the talent changes). Maths were also done pre 1.3 and I bet they will now go for a (5/31/5) combination like mine. And yes, if we are speaking about the same maths they are referring for a campaign stuff, but also for a mercenary build, and mercenay are dual weapon user, there is a sligh difference in the misses.

Once you get past rakata gear, and move into full campaign/black hole, try each of the builds for yourself and see what you get more damage from.

Right now my commando is 98% BiS on all gear, the only items I am missing are 2 lvl 61 reflex armoring mods for my belt and bracers. Fully buffed I am at over 2350 aim and over 1000 power.

As for applying a merc to this, please see this thread,

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=447944

which links to this thread,

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1117292-Arsenal-Bounty-Hunter-Are-YOU-Doing-It-Right

And you can see how the 7/31/3 alacrity build is able to put out the highest levels of DPS, once you are correctly geared for it.

Hey flying what is your accuracy at with your toon? Mine is at around 98.81 percent. With full blackhole items in my gear I have 2212 aim, 1000 power, 33.71 ranged crit, 34.88 tech crit, with a crit multiplier of 76.36. My dps on the operation dummy ranges from 1600-1730 in gunnery spec 7-31-3. I've been playing with the battlemaster 103 power relics and my Campaign elemental dmg relic and it comes out to about the same dps but the Campaign is more consistent.

Hey flying what is your accuracy at with your toon? Mine is at around 98.81 percent. With full blackhole items in my gear I have 2212 aim, 1000 power, 33.71 ranged crit, 34.88 tech crit, with a crit multiplier of 76.36. My dps on the operation dummy ranges from 1600-1730 in gunnery spec 7-31-3. I've been playing with the battlemaster 103 power relics and my Campaign elemental dmg relic and it comes out to about the same dps but the Campaign is more consistent.

Right now it's where yours is, just under 99%. I need to swap out an adept enhancement for an initiative enhancement, which will put it at just over 100% (like100.32%) accuracy and will drop my surge down to 73%.

Gotcha. Well I will say this i maybe miss once in the entire fight with my accuracy where it's at now. Having surge at least 75-76 makes a huge difference though compared to 72-73 i noticed on surge. I only have one campaign piece which is the my bracer but I guess i'll start getting my aim on par with yours once I start getting more campaign gear. You might consider using 3 Accuracy augments to get you to 100 percent accuracy if you don't want to lose the surge. That's what I did on my suit.

Can someone show me a link to a good dps pve gunnery build? I'm still new to this game and the thread is a bit confusing. I'm not looking to heal people just playing solo mostly. Don't care for pvp, just a pve build that's fun.

Once you get past rakata gear, and move into full campaign/black hole, try each of the builds for yourself and see what you get more damage from.

Right now my commando is 98% BiS on all gear, the only items I am missing are 2 lvl 61 reflex armoring mods for my belt and bracers. Fully buffed I am at over 2350 aim and over 1000 power.

As for applying a merc to this, please see this thread,

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=447944

which links to this thread,

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1117292-Arsenal-Bounty-Hunter-Are-YOU-Doing-It-Right

And you can see how the 7/31/3 alacrity build is able to put out the highest levels of DPS, once you are correctly geared for it.

I already knew about all this and this is precisely what I was speaking about. Thought it was clear but apparently not.

The 7/31/3 is based upon the assumption that you don't need a +3% prec from your talent tree, but can rather take only +1% with 2 points in alacricity. But post 1.3 the talent that gave +x% prec bonus has changed and now you need to put 3 points in it, this is why I told you that your info was obsolete

I'd have to agree and disagree. The guy on MMO chanpion is still saying 7/31/3 is better. So the referrence wasn't old really. I just think the change makes it more difficult to determine which is better. I mathed it out and i show 5/31/5 beating 7/31/3. However on Ops dummy testing they both posted identical dps numbers. Pick one and go for it as either is fine. Edited by deadandburied

Tried both a Full Gunnery and Full Assault build on my commando, (I'm normally Combat Medic) the other day. I'n a Columi/Rakata/Black Hole Mix.

Assault was about 1250. Gunnery was putting out 1450. I'd say for PVE, Gunnery, with the new changes, win hands down.

Edited by pureeffinmetal

Ah well, you ain't quite there yet.

This is an assault commando doing over 1700dps

http://www.fryingtime.com/?filename=combat_2012-07-02_15_48_37_156250.txt

You don't see the last 28dps because the dummy doesn't go below 30% health. But if it did, it would be there.

Gunnery can also do over 1700dps.

It's the player and the gear,

Edited by Gyronamics