Adaptive social gear, and Australians.

Driveinns

Hello, I have made a few threads like this in the past and I have never heard a peep about it. So with the advent of patch 1.3 and adaptive social gear, I am again imploring, nay begging Bioware to please pay attention here.

In Australia and some of the other Asia/pacific areas, we were never given the option of having a Collector's edition, or access to a physical security key (which many of us feel better using, as there are many a problem to be had with the Android or iPhone one).

So there are these vendors in the game, that have some adaptive gear such as the Imperial Soldier Uniform. Now I would really like to have my Lt Pierce wearing that, but I can't get it there is no way. I have tried as many methods as I could think of. Now I got people saying just buy it off Ebay, well they don't ship it here. And then they say get someone in a country they do ship to and have them send it to you by post, well a nice idea, but I don't know anyone further afield then New Zealand (which is in the same boat).

So as I said above I am BEGGING, IMPLORING Bioware, please give us access, make the security keys available, give us access to some Collector's editions, or better yet, sell the ability through Origin? A key for like 5 to 10 dollars, that does nothing except give us access to the Collector's Vendor. I'd pay that, I am sure others would too.

I like the idea of the Vendor's being what they are, but when less then 1 percent of the population on a server has access, it makes it a bit ridiculous, and the fact that I want to give you money for it and I can't is a bit weird and strange to me.

Anyway there is my ideas and problems. Please do something, soon!? I have been playing since like March, and on my home servers since they launched, so I love this game and am here for the long haul, this would be a great incentive for me. And I am humbly asking. :)

Anyway thanks, keep up the good work.

A concerned Australian player.

Yeah, access to the physical security key thingy would be wonderful.

EA has offices & an Origin store in Australia & New Zealand, so I can't see why they couldn't ship here fine.

There are no legal import restrictions for that style of electronic security device in AU/NZ. Hell, Australia has a US-Canada style free trade agreement with the US so there are very few restrictions fullstop.

Edited by Lakhesis

Thanks guys, I just wish more would post something to help bolster numbers and all that. I really want this, but I never seem to get anything from Bioware on the subject. There is so much those vendors have to offer that we miss out on. Hopefully one day soon. :)

I'm a bit confused by this thread.

Many, many, many Australians such as myself got the CE. The same bunch of Australians that didn't have to wait for this game to be officially launched in Australia.

Every Australian had the chance to get the CE, and to play before the official launch. You just had to read the forums that you are posting on now.

-An Australian with a CE, and imperial soldiers uniform that remains unused until augment kits are put in.

PS: You can still find CE's around.. google them. I believe Amazon still had some not too long ago.

Edited by PutinDoesJudo

I'm a bit confused by this thread.

Many, many, many Australians such as myself got the CE. The same bunch of Australians that didn't have to wait for this game to be officially launched in Australia.

Every Australian had the chance to get the CE, and to play before the official launch. You just had to read the forums that you are posting on now.

I didn't comment on the CE because I'm unfamiliar with whether it was actually available in AU/NZ - I bought the a version from overseas too.

But making the argument "you could always buy it in another country" is a bit flawed imo, so if the CE wasn't available in AU/NZ I find that oversight odd.

And the lack of a physical authenticator when they've got a store here is, imo, unarguably silly. The only reason I can think of is that many people seem to automatically think there'll be some sort of issue shipping authentication style security devices around (which is simply not true, at least amongst first world countries). You'd have a harder time shipping a set of dinner knives than you would an electronic authenticator.

Edited by Lakhesis

I do not for a second believe that no Ebay shop (from whichever country) that sells it would ship the CE to Australia.

also, we used to have an Australian in our guild. he had the CE. so there's obviously ways to get it.

that being said, I really hope you'd actually be interested in the physical stuff you get from the CE because the in-game stuff is definitely not worth paying 150€/$ (which would obviously be even more for you with the shipping costs)

that being said, it's of course rather silly that you can't just go to a shop and buy it there, no arguing that.

Edited by amnie

Amazon US was the most popular way that we got it. Others got from various Amazon Euro stores.

Basically, Amazon was the go.

But look, I now get what you were getting at. It is very odd for CE versions not to be included with the official Australian launch. However, it was never hard to get, and one should not shy away from international shopping, it is the way to go. Currently buying a TV from germany as prices here are horrid. They probably would of charged us much more for the CE here anyway.

Edited by PutinDoesJudo

You don't believe me try it! Don't come on here and tell me I am wrong, I have tried! I spent two hours trying different shops on Amazon trying to get it. As for Ebay I have only ever found opened one's and I am not buying that, cause what would be the point.

Thanks for your support and help, person who is probably in America or some place where it was readily available to purchase it easily.

I bought it before its official release in Australia, I got it from a store that had them 'specially' brought in, but there was no Collector's edition, just the standard. I got offered the digital deluxe, and I want more. It's my prerogative to ask and hopefully I can obtain the Collector's edition without having to do stupid things. As I said I don't know anyone in America, or the UK. I know people in NZ, maybe, if I can get hold of them. I am asking Bioware for help, and making things available to all in the same easy manner. This is a little unfair, and making fun of me is just a little on the callous side. Thanks to those who actually tried to help. :)

calm down. and if you call 2 hours efford then maybe you don't want this CE as much as this topic implies.

I also said I DO think it's super silly that you can't just buy it in a physical store, what more do you want?

I'm pretty sure that if you asked nicely or started browsing actual australian centred message boards people would be able to help you (or .. y'know... ask on your server if anyone was online that had the CE and could help you)

edit: you are right, I do live in a country where you could 'just' buy the CE. however, 150€ was the price, and since that would have been roughly $230 back when, I ordered it in the US anyway. even with shipping costs it was still cheaper than buying it over here.

Edited by amnie

I hope you find one.

Just remember though, they only made a limited amount and most people preordered them mid to late last year. I preordered mine from Amazon back in August.

Also, I have the CE and the statue.. cd.. any other physical stuff is sitting around collecting dust. The security key can be still bought, or you can just use your phone.

And the whole "could just buy"... that WAS us too. How hard is it to input some credit or debit card info into Amazon.com? :p Just another case of being late to the party. I don't know about you.. but I'd been looking forward to this game for years. No staggered release was going to stop me.

Edited by PutinDoesJudo

The security key can be still bought, or you can just use your phone.

The phone presumably does work, but the security key cannot be bought from an Australian account. Clicking on it from your account takes you first to the US ad & then clicking the "buy now" option takes you to the front page of the AU/NZ Origin store. They are not listed in the AU/NZ store.

From looking at the EA Origin store via VPN, you'd need to use VPN to place the order & then have it sent to a remailer service to have it shipped to AU/NZ. Exactly why they put these obstacles in the way is beyond me. There are no import/export restrictions.

I'd very much like someone to tell me I'm wrong about that, but I don't think so - there's actually a note in the "Protecting Your Account" thing that says the keys aren't available in AU, NZ, Hong Kong or Singapore :(

Be curious to hear from CS exactly why they aren't available here, or if there's a less convoluted work-around to purchase them. I normally play with Americans so I could easily get one sent over... it's just a question of whether I could attach it to my account.

Edited by Lakhesis

My brother uses the iPhone app and can buy stuff off of the Security Key store on an Aussie edition of the game, and I bought the CE and can use both stores.

By the sounds of it, Bioware is preparing a "Cash Store" for ToR to put up things like extra character slots and character transfers. Hopefully they also add tangible items like the security keys on there, as well as other merchandise.

I think the physical key is a US export restriction, we have some stupid laws on exporting electronics that can be used in "bad" ways. Which is hilarious when you realize the fobs are made in China!

I think that's kind of lame they didn't offer the CE in other regions when they launched there, so good luck with that. I feel your pain on the Lt Pierce thing, heck I don't like that most of the companions start in some cool or unique outfits and then you have to change it to generic crap further down the road to keep them viable.

If you really want the Security Key Vendor items you can get the free app, and then buy what you want, then place a ticket to have it removed.

I'd really like if they would place orange companion restricted versions of all of their starter gear on the Companion Vendor on Ilum. I'd also like it if they added more of the Imperial Trooper Armor styles, and Imperial Uniform styles to the game as orange sets.

I think the physical key is a US export restriction, we have some stupid laws on exporting electronics that can be used in "bad" ways. Which is hilarious when you realize the fobs are made in China!

I could not guarantee the technology is identical, but one would expect them to be extremely similar to the Blizzard authenticators. Blizzard will ship to AU, NZ, Hong Kong & Singapore - I have a Blizzard physical authenticator sitting in front of me currently.

Blizzard charge an arm & a leg for shipping (US$20 for any item, electronic or otherwise, from the US->AU), but they will ship authenticators and US customs is not bothered by them.

I haven't done an extremely in-depth examination, but based off my cursory past enquiries the restrictions on that style of security device are largely either superseded or an urban myth. As a general guideline, if you could ship it from the US to Canada then you could ship it from the US to Australia. I mean the US has offered to sell or lease nuclear submarines to Australia... I don't see authenticators being a major hurdle :)

And regarding the Apps - while Australia generally actually has a higher technology uptake than the US (e.g. we have a higher relative percentage of the population with broadband internet than the US has with any internet), some of us still aren't into the latest expensive phone toys :rolleyes:

Edited by Lakhesis

The phone presumably does work, but the security key cannot be bought from an Australian account. Clicking on it from your account takes you first to the US ad & then clicking the "buy now" option takes you to the front page of the AU/NZ Origin store. They are not listed in the AU/NZ store.

From looking at the EA Origin store via VPN, you'd need to use VPN to place the order & then have it sent to a remailer service to have it shipped to AU/NZ. Exactly why they put these obstacles in the way is beyond me. There are no import/export restrictions.

I'd very much like someone to tell me I'm wrong about that, but I don't think so - there's actually a note in the "Protecting Your Account" thing that says the keys aren't available in AU, NZ, Hong Kong or Singapore :(

Be curious to hear from CS exactly why they aren't available here, or if there's a less convoluted work-around to purchase them. I normally play with Americans so I could easily get one sent over... it's just a question of whether I could attach it to my account.

When I tried to get the Android one, it took me to a page that told me it wasn't available in my country. Also if people are interested they should look up the horror stories of those that did get it in Australia, and then something happened to their phone. In some cases it took them over a week of constantly calling every day and not getting the help he needed, because the customer service guy had his hands tied. He needed things and the customer couldn't get them from a broken phone. So the phone thing seems more a problem then anything else. :)

My brother uses the iPhone app and can buy stuff off of the Security Key store on an Aussie edition of the game, and I bought the CE and can use both stores.

By the sounds of it, Bioware is preparing a "Cash Store" for ToR to put up things like extra character slots and character transfers. Hopefully they also add tangible items like the security keys on there, as well as other merchandise.

Where did you hear this from, I am very interested to hear about that!? :)

Aussies should have the same options every other player has. I played WOW with some Aussie's and they were so much fun to run stuff with.

Indeed, and alot of them pay terrible bandwidth fees to download games etc.. Somehting needs to be done about this!

I have to say I get a little miffed at seeing the video for the gear, where a main feature seems to be the Imperial Soldier's Uniform, being used by a Sith (I think). They say "make your own unique look' yet if you can't get your hands on a Collector's Edition or Security key, then there is so much you miss out on (in my opinion). I want some of the companion looks, I want the Social gear.

I'm not angry or calling for blood. I am just upset that I never had the chance to get it, when it was released here. I know someone said "Why didn't you buy it when it was released in the states?" and my answer to that is "I didn't know I was going to get it then" I was somewhat interested, and I was growing increasingly dismayed with The whole Star Wars thing over the years, mostly due to the prequels, and stuff after that. So I wasn't all that interested, until I one day decided to give it a go. I got it from a shop in the city I live in, no Collector's edition. I got the digital upgrade online, which I don't regret. But I want to have security and an option to get access to the other shop. I don't think that is a big ask.

Please, please Bioware, don't ignore this. I know there doesn't seem like a lot adding to my voice here, but I am sure there are others in the same boat as me, and we would be interested. :)

Where did you hear this from, I am very interested to hear about that!? :)

Honestly, its guess work based around various answers and interviews I have read since launch. Pretty sure they will be offering character transfers at a later date that will allow you to move to a server of your choosing, they are just working on the logistics. Extra character slots were only just announced as something they want to do in a Q&A, as it will use a servers resources, I can't imagine it will be for free. Plus they have also said that they have looked into the possibility of Free2Play some stage down the track, which would also mean a cash store.

They haven't come out and said it directly, but it is a plausible option for them, and if they were wise they would offer the security keys and other tangible items.