Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Graydon

You didn't say it right... being stuck on a pvp server, that's gonna die yet again.

I love Prophecy of Five... but the show is over, it's population is shrinking yet again, and this time there are no servers left to consolidate to repopulate it. It's obvious to me any more time spent on Po5 is just lost time.

Yes, I want paid transfers, to get both my toons, and my creds,and crew skills to a pve server, that will at least be the last before EA pulls the plug, hopefully many years from now.

Starting new toons, on a new server, without my creds and crew skills, is SO A YEAR AGO... but I do have a master plan. 3200 cartel points, for being a sub since launch will at least get my full bag slots. For the last couple of weeks, I've been rolling toons thru the starter planets, to fleet. When I have 12 of em, I'll buy account wide bag slots. In the meanwhile, just to have creds, I've bought and sold a few of the packs.

Would have been easier to just paid transfer, something I could have and did do years ago on WoW. It's a revenue source that EA and BW cannot afford to lose, and it should have been available at launch. :rak_03:

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must say with 1.7 out now, it's extremely frustrating for me to have 50's on both Prophecy of the Five AND The Bastion. Having characters consolidated went well initially considering I had / met friends on both servers. However, the release of reputations / time sensitive events / having only one 50 on The Bastion, I find myself in a situation that I am literally unable to miss a single day of dailies in order to reach my goal of a wonderful looking Legacy weapon. Considering it's been many months since transfers have been ended and both servers are PvP labeled, I must say it's irresponsible not to allow me to have an option to give you my money. I just want to have fun with all of my characters, and not constantly worry about spending my mandatory 3-4 hours of rep grinds every day for the next month just to end up short if I miss a day.

You have to code this process and automate it...it's not like someone can get out of bed one morning...snap their fingers...and *poof* it's automagically done.

They already coded it. Forced server merges used the code. Now all they have to do is add a price to it. Seems easy enough to do that, they add new Cartel items every few weeks.

Make it a cartel item.

Transfer Character -> 1000 cartel points

Transfer Account -> 2500 cartel points

Easy, right?

All of my friends stopped playing on my current server but I have friends on another who are active. I have stopped playing entirely until they open up transfers. I have 3 level 50's and I do not have the patience to level a brand new toon with no legacy on a new server. They need to get this together.

No, more complaining req.

/agreed

Bioware needs to know that theres a large amount of people willing to pay for server xfers like myself I have a level 50 from launch but stopped playing however my brothers and a few friends convinced me to start up a new toon and play again and i'd really love to bring my 50 sniper over.

I have a sub, but haven't spent a single penny on cartel coins yet (beyond my monthly 500 coins, that is). I don't plan to spend money on coins in the near future.

But BioWare, if you let me transfer my characters I guarantee you I'll plunk down some cash to move them. If you let me transfer all characters from one server to another for 2,500 cartel coins, consider me absolutely ready to buy 2,500 cartel coins. PLUS, you'll get my sub money!

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

Edited by Eldrenath

I'm pretty sure they are just hesitant because of worries about what will happen to pops once they do this. They are scared that everyone will migrate to one and leave dead servers again.

It's a shame, because I actually want to transfer to a lower pop server (Jung Ma) from the Bastion (higher pop) because (like everyone else said) I WANT TO CONSOLIDATE MY CHARACTERS, ya know, for that legacy system you guys sorta built?

I am not sure If I am way off ( If so I apologize) but could it have to do with currents server population? I know every time I log in, every US server is running at near full capacity. I imagine that if they implement character transfers there is a risk of overwhelming some servers. If this was the case though, I would think BW could implement a system that caps server capacity and allows only near 1:1 transfers... but it could be messy.

They already coded it. Forced server merges used the code. Now all they have to do is add a price to it. Seems easy enough to do that

What they did before was server merges, not character transfers. Among other things not required for a merge, they would never have had to code up any UI, queueing system, lockouts during transfers, logging and payment systems, authentication hooks, or any of the dozens of other things that go into automated processing of player initiated voluntary character transfers. The server merges only needed a big mess of special-case, one-off database dump, import, and cleanup scripts, and there were DBAs around to do any dirty work by hand when it all went sideways in the middle of the downtime.

They already said that the paid transfers will be based on the back end and the interface that they have since built to allow player initiated transfers from live to the PTS. Once they test it on transfers to PTS (where the inevitable two months worth of game breaking bugs won't be blowing up your entire account every time you do a transfer), then they'll roll it out for live-to-live transfers. And you will have to pay for it. Probably a lot more than it will be worth actually. This has all been explained already.

It took them six months to get a group finder into the game after launch, and another two or three months after that to actually make it work. There's no reason to think this won't take twice as long for them to pull off, so as far as what we've been told at this point, they're right on schedule.

Edited by Heezdedjim

What they did before was server merges, not character transfers. Among other things not required for a merge, they would never have had to code up any UI, queueing system, lockouts during transfers, logging and payment systems, authentication hooks, or any of the dozens of other things that go into automated processing of player initiated voluntary character transfers. The server merges only needed a big mess of special-case, one-off database dump, import, and cleanup scripts, and there were DBAs around to do any dirty work by hand when it all went sideways in the middle of the downtime.

They already said that the paid transfers will be based on the back end and the interface that they have since built to allow player initiated transfers from live to the PTS. Once they test it on transfers to PTS (where the inevitable two months worth of game breaking bugs won't be blowing up your entire account every time you do a transfer), then they'll roll it out for live-to-live transfers. And you will have to pay for it. Probably a lot more than it will be worth actually. This has all been explained already.

It took them six months to get a group finder into the game after launch, and another two or three months after that to actually make it work. There's no reason to think this won't take twice as long for them to pull off, so as far as what we've been told at this point, they're right on schedule.

You are very wrong on this. BW did implement server transfers before the Mega Server Merge. We did not have a choice regarding destination.

You really are making the process sound a lot more complicated than it really is. The first batch of server transfers were live to live too.

I am glad though to see Character Transfer to PTS is now live!!!

Finally, the first step. :):)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree - after years of paying money for this adventure it is very disappointing that Transfers are not being accepted. I started on Harbinger but everyone in my guild has left - SWTOR period. They will not go back due to all the nasty changes that overshadow the good modifications. So I am stuck on Harbinger while my daughter and other friends are on Ebon Hawk. So what am I doing - recreating a character that could easily be transferred. Frustrating to say the least to do all the missions etc again on Ebon to play catch up. I should just cancel my subscription and stop giving my money away while BW is spending time and energy to do what??? Change the login process? Idiocy

Get with it BW - there used to be a concept that he who pays the bills - your customers - were heard - otherwise you just fall by the wayside with all the other businesses that are non-responsive and then you get to look for a new job. I for one will not spend another nickel on any of your products so please - anti-up fools.

This was posted by a dev recently: "'I can't say just yet on April 2nd, but this is one of the ducks I'm lining up. It's no coincidence that the change we are making is related to that (among other) self-service implementations. One of the ducks even has 'move' in it's name.'"

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5965096#edit5965096

Hopefully it will mean a free legacy "family" character transfer and paid other transfers.

Edited by pooks

Once they allow more characters slots on the server then i am willing for them to allow paid character transfers... having 8 to a server is very limited, considering that there are 16 potential classes to play (8 on either side).

Not to disagree in with you in premise, but 2 things....

That's 8 advanced classes per side, 4 classes per side.

And the quote is "smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's moronic that server transfers are still not in place.

It's moronic that daily threads regarding this subject are ignored by BW staff.

Nevermind, This is BEYOND moronic.

Keep up the great work, its only been over a year.