SWTOR and the EA stock plummet

Taurusaud

It's uncanny. ;o

you're joking right? Did you even read what happened? In no possible way is the video game market crash of the 1980s ANYTHING like the current state of video games. The current video game market is still thriving. In fact its easier to get into video game production now then it ever was.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're joking right? Did you even read what happened? In no possible way is the video game market crash of the 1980s ANYTHING like the current state of video games. The current video game market is still thriving. In fact its easier to get into video game production now then it ever was.

High-profile disasters

A core cause of the crash was two high-profile titles for the Atari 2600 that were disasters. In 1981, Atari attempted to take advantage of the craze following the arcade game Pac-Man by releasing a version for the Atari 2600. However, development was rushed so as to have the game out in time for the 1981 Christmas season. Although the game managed to sell well in terms of absolute numbers, Atari had grossly overestimated the number of sales it would generate. Critics and gamers universally panned the game as being nothing like the lively, colorful original. In the end, Atari only sold a little over half the number of cartridges it produced..

Sound familiar?

Would you seriously want EA to fail? Would you really want to see thousands of people lose there jobs as studios that EA keep a float get potential shut down which could include Bioware.

I know EA has a bad rep and with good reason they have done and continue some bad practices, but EA are pretty much ingrained into video games as we know it today.

Yea why not? First of all many of them are outsources to foreign countries like India, they work only for the money and don't give a crap about American franchises like Star Wars. Secondly all those people will find better jobs with better studios. You really think anybody except for those on top working at a huge soulless studio that churns out cheap passionless garbage are actually happy?

Sound familiar?

ROFL READ THE ARTICLE!

The American video game console crash of 1983 was caused by a combination of factors.

As for SWTOR you do realize it has already made it's budget back right? It made that back from the initial sales. If you think EA is going away any time soon you are sadly mistaken. Sony is in far worse shape then EA is and the fact that the dollar is worth far less then the Yen doesn't help at all.

Yea why not? First of all many of them are outsources to foreign countries like India, they work only for the money and don't give a crap about American franchises like Star Wars. Secondly all those people will find better jobs with better studios. You really think anybody except for those on top working at a huge soulless studio that churns out cheap passionless garbage are actually happy?

Now I kind of want to see a games company producing games based on Bollywood franchises.

ROFL READ THE ARTICLE!

i um did

if you think i'm saying that tor is exclusively responsible for ea's downfall then you're being remarkably silly

As for SWTOR you do realize it has already made it's budget back right? It made that back from the initial sales. If you think EA is going away any time soon you are sadly mistaken. Sony is in far worse shape then EA is and the fact that the dollar is worth far less then the Yen doesn't help at all.

do i need to pull out my link to an article stating that EA wanted to go pound for pound with WoW subscription wise

because i will

i will turn this thread around and post that link

i um did

do i need to pull out my link to an article stating that EA wanted to go pound for pound with WoW subscription wise

because i will

i will turn this thread around and post that link

OH god YES PLEASE I really want to see this link. Please show me proof of this.

If you read the article you would know that the market crashed because of Too many Consoles, Competition from computers, and Atari (A MAJOR CONSOLE DEVELOPER WHO HAD 2 CONSOLES ON THE MARKET) made really bad games that didn't sell well.

EA isn't having that problem. in fact BF3 sold 15 million copies so far.

Edited by jarjarloves

ROFL OMG You thought they meant 11 million subscribers in US and Europe????? Oh man you are not doing good tonight.

if i meant that, wouldn't i have said that?

you've accumulated two silly points for saying things i never actually said

any more silly points and i'm going to have to officially label you silly

if i meant that, wouldn't i have said that?

you've accumulated two silly points for saying things i never actually said

any more silly points and i'm going to have to officially label you silly

then how do you figure it's doing bad? You claim that SWTOR is doing bad it didn't live up to expectations. That it is similar to Atari's Pacman.

However it is the second largest P2P MMO out there and it hasn't even been released in the biggest markets yet. You seem to think that the EA execs thought the game would get 11 million subscribers in the US and Europe. Otherwise you would have said so.

However it is the second largest P2P MMO out there and it hasn't even been released in the biggest markets yet. You seem to think that the EA execs thought the game would get 11 million subscribers in the US and Europe. Otherwise you would have said so.

i gave you a link saying ea wanted to exceed wow's subscriber base

you're now a member of an exclusive club known as the silly list; either for purposefully misinterpreting what i'm saying, or for thinking that the game will have an asian release capable of propelling it to wow's subscriber base

you're now a member of an exclusive club known as the silly list; either for purposefully misinterpreting what i'm saying, or for thinking that the game will have an asian release capable of propelling it to wow's subscriber base

does it say they wanted to exceed WoWs playerbase on day 1? Because that is what you are implying

Pretty much this. I love SWTOR but if EA dies in the process than it's a loss I'm willing to take.

more likely what you would see is EA sell off it's smaller companies or just get rid of them and then focus 100% on sports games like FIFA, Madden, and so on, the ones that always turn a huge profit.

As much as people like to hate EA they do make a few quality games and if I have to take the crap with the good games then thats fine.

Edited by jarjarloves

Not only that, but EA is still one of the major pillars of the western video game industry.

If it were to fail, the domino effect across the board would be disastrous. People need to be more careful about what they wish for.

And that would be bad why?

This is just LOL FAIL. Before you start your gloom and doom, why don't you do what every other business man in the world does and actually look at the market instead of one stock. If I'm going to invest in the game industry I'm going to look at all companies and see what everyone is doing. Namely if I'm looking at investing in an MMO company I'll look at Activsion, EA, Perfect World, etc... Compare that and EA isn't doing too bad. Edited by Dyvid

You really think that developers would be to find better jobs with other development studios. I know a developer who worked in a development studio that shut down and he wasn't able to walk into a studio.

Also I have never heard of development being outsourced to countries like India, unless you are talking about customer support which is somewhat true.

I think people are happy to have a job in the current economic climate.

You really think that developers would be to find better jobs with other development studios. I know a developer who worked in a development studio that shut down and he wasn't able to walk into a studio.

Also I have never heard of development being outsourced to countries like India, unless you are talking about customer support which is somewhat true.

I think people are happy to have a job in the current economic climate.

Development is outsourced to India all the time, in fact at big companies, most of the software developers even over in the states are from there. India isn't the only country for software but it's the main one, Russia's another big one. On the other hand, China and Korea is where alot of art gets outsourced to.

I worked developing banking software for big trading firms for 8 years and for every team I was on I was the only American, the entire floors were surrounded by dudes from India. The reason is because most Americans don't go into computer science, so they need to fill those jobs somehow, and in India the prevalent attitude is (moreso than here), if you wanna get a good job learn programming.

Also I empathize with your friend, when the economy turned bad they laid off my whole division and I've been out of work 4 years now. However, I started my own company and work on developing an Indie game, which is infinitely more fun and interesting than the work I was doing at those big banks. So yea, there are much better jobs out there for developers than being pigeon-holed at a big company, and if you can't find one start your own! You can actually do that in this field.

Edited by Taurusaud

Development is outsourced to India all the time, in fact at big companies, most of the software developers even over in the states are from there. India isn't the only country for software but it's the main one, Russia's another big one. On the other hand, China and Korea is where alot of art gets outsourced to.

I worked developing banking software for big trading firms for 8 years and for every team I was on I was the only American, the entire floors were surrounded by dudes from India. The reason is because most Americans don't go into computer science, so they need to fill those jobs somehow, and in India the prevalent attitude is (moreso than here), if you wanna get a good job learn programming.

Also I empathize with your friend, when the economy turned bad they laid off my whole division and I've been out of work 4 years now. However, I started my own company and work on developing an Indie game, which is infinitely more fun and interesting than the work I was doing at those big banks. So yea, there are much better jobs out there for developers than being pigeon-holed at a big company, and if you can't find one start your own! You can actually do that in this field.

Wow I never knew that development got outsourced to India by some companies, thanks for that.

That's some serious dedication in trying to convince a pretty obvious troll of the truth.

They outsource to India because they are willing to work longer hours for alot less money

Edited by Lt_Latency

China and Korea is where alot of art gets outsourced to.

And it shows in the last round of armor additions. And explains the pointy anime armors, when bioware explains they need some armor art that has less points im sure they get a lot of ?????? :confused: In Asia, if your armor is not pointy, then youre doing it wrong.