The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyro pvp gear, best results with pvp set bonus or pve set bonus?

KennehBE

hi everyone

the pve set bonus is 8% extra damage to rail shot

the pvp set bonus is +15% critical chance to rail shot

we all know this

now a guildie of mine is claiming that the pve bonus is the best, so 8% extra damage to railshot

i'm not so sure about this, because if u take the pve set, u can change the mods to WH mods, but you are losing out on augments on at least 4 pieces to get the pve set bonus

at the moment i have 31.5% crit chance and 76.5% surge

with the +15% crit to rail from pvp set bonus, i suppose my railshot should almost crit half of the time

now i'm not sure that losing all that crit chance + the stats from the augments is worth getting the 8% more damage to railshot from the pve bonus set

has anyone done some extensive testing on this?

The answer to this depends on the amount of crit and surge rating you already have. Generally speaking the PvP set bonus is slightly better.

For example assuming 30% crit chance and +75% crit damage through surge, the PvP set bonus provides roughly 1% more overall damage than the PvE set bonus.

However with a 20% crit chance and +60% crit damage through surge, the PvP set bonus provides only 0.03% more damage over the PVE set bonus.

The answer to this depends on the amount of crit and surge rating you already have. Generally speaking the PvP set bonus is slightly better.

For example assuming 30% crit chance and +75% crit damage through surge, the PvP set bonus provides roughly 1% more overall damage than the PvE set bonus.

However with a 20% crit chance and +60% crit damage through surge, the PvP set bonus provides only 0.03% more damage over the PVE set bonus.

The PVP set bonus is best no doubt. You may not be counting the expertise. Also if you stack crit like I do, im up to 44% tech crit fully buffed and a 59% railshot crit

The PVP set bonus is best no doubt. You may not be counting the expertise. Also if you stack crit like I do, im up to 44% tech crit fully buffed and a 59% railshot crit

No I was only comparing the set bonusses, the PvP set bonus (+15% crit chance) is slightly better. Reason that its not that much better is because the 8% extra damage from the PVE set bonus also improves your crits (by 14% total if you have 75% surge)

expertise wouldn't matter, since you will be putting WH mods in the PVE gear, so you'd still have the expertise

just no augments, since the PVE gear obviously isn't augmented

still, 8% more damage to railshot is impressive, it just depends what is better, more overal damage or more chance to crit :)

15% crit is better even in PVE. My friend did countless tests on dummy with both pve/pvp bonuses in PVE mods/enhancements/armoring, and the 15% crit is just better. Not by much.

Here's some math:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlvgV8Tn0LSHdHRFejBhbmxwWHQxa0NCUTMtUlJRUEE

The Crit/Surge is based on WH gear. Granted I have 76% surge, 31% crit and Avg damage may be off. But this should accurately protrey the damage/dps difference. Plus in PvP where burst is king (in my mind right now) or can be more important at times, the 15% crit really helps. And remember the 15% crit is a straight addon, no DR assosiated with it.

Edited by dardack

Don't forget that the 2 piece part of the PVE set takes 15 seconds of the cd of explosive fuel. I think in 1.3 with being able to add augs to anything we will be seeing more PTs in the PVE gear with BM armour to keep the set bonus, and WH mods and enhancements in WZs.

The only setback useing the PVE set bonus will have will be that youll lose out on using the WH armour mods as to not overwrite the set bonus. Since the expertise on the armour mods is the same between BM and WH you only lose out on around 15 aim and endurance if you only use 4 pieces of the PVE armour.

Go 2 piece on each and throw in the Battlemaster mods into the pve pieces. Perhaps 2 Tioniese/Columi eliminator pieces with 2 BM combat tech.

I would advise doing a little more research before posting any more "tips"

15% crit is better even in PVE. My friend did countless tests on dummy with both pve/pvp bonuses in PVE mods/enhancements/armoring, and the 15% crit is just better. Not by much.

Here's some math:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlvgV8Tn0LSHdHRFejBhbmxwWHQxa0NCUTMtUlJRUEE

The Crit/Surge is based on WH gear. Granted I have 76% surge, 31% crit and Avg damage may be off. But this should accurately protrey the damage/dps difference. Plus in PvP where burst is king (in my mind right now) or can be more important at times, the 15% crit really helps. And remember the 15% crit is a straight addon, no DR assosiated with it.

I think I'm gonna make a spreadsheet that makes it a little more clear for ya'll.

Edited by BillEdwardz

I think I'm gonna make a spreadsheet that makes it a little more clear for ya'll.

Eh I just threw something together in about 5 minutes in between WZ q's. Wasn't trying to make it easier/w/e just showing basic math that by a little bit the 15% crit is better.

EDIT: Edited spreadsheet to show actual equations and crap.

Edited by dardack

Eh I just threw something together in about 5 minutes in between WZ q's. Wasn't trying to make it easier/w/e just showing basic math that by a little bit the 15% crit is better.

EDIT: Edited spreadsheet to show actual equations and crap.

Yea no problem. Here's what I put together though: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnkOv0Dfo0lvdDBQVjZIZTRmY0E0NHZkWVpIRU9uemc

Edited by BillEdwardz

The thing people forget about crit chance is that if you don't crit 100% of your crit rating and surge is wasted on that attack. You are never going to add enough damage to make up for a crit no matter how much primary stat/power you stack. In PvE the PvE bonus of 8% is probably much closer over the long run because you are doing extended fights, in PvP I can't see the real life effectiveness being that close though.

In PvP you either burst down that healer before he got healed or you didn't, so IMO crit is going to be king. A couple of crits at the right time in PvP are more valuable than 100k extra damage at the end of the WZ. There are almost no long drawn out fights and you usually either kill your opponent, are killed or they get healed and you can't finish them.

Why not? Reduced cooldown on CC breaker in this Stun Wars game, and reduced cooldown on explosive fuel.

Edit- oh I said eliminator, nm it's combat tech.