Why do you PVE in swtor?

tehrealdealz

Hi everyone so i've been playing swtor from day 1 and I mostly PVP and rarely do PVE content (FPs/Ops) cause after raiding in WoW for almost 5+ years im a little burnt out on that. But the MAIN reason I used to raid in WoW was to get more powerful weapons/trinkets/etc so that I can turn around and use them in PVP (Arenas/RBGs) to earn higher ratings. In swtor I guess its different as I dont really see any items that are any more powerful than the pvp items that you can get from the vendors. So my question is, do you PVErs raid in swtor just to raid? To see end game content? Just trying to understand the idea as to why people raid in swtor. :confused:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone so i've been playing swtor from day 1 and I mostly PVP and rarely do PVE content (FPs/Ops) cause after raiding in WoW for almost 5+ years im a little burnt out on that. But the MAIN reason I used to raid in WoW was to get more powerful weapons/trinkets/etc so that I can turn around and use them in PVP (Arenas/RBGs) to earn higher ratings. In swtor I guess its different as I dont really see any items that are any more powerful than the pvp items that you can get from the vendors. So my question is, do you PVErs raid in swtor just to raid? To see end game content? Just trying to understand the idea as to why people raid in swtor. :confused:

the story lines in star wars are awesome.. you should try them

Because I like it and that's my style. I don't mean that in a snarky way, either. PVP can be some of the most intense, exciting gameplay to be found in any game, but it can also be extremely stressful and frustrating and most of the time I'm here to relax and chill with friends while we "go on adventures." That's really it.

Cause the PvP in this game is awful, whereas the PvE is better.

This x infinity.

But coming from the other end I always wondered why people bought this "story" game to only PvP.

There was nothing that made me think "oh I bet this would be a good PvP game" when it was advertised.

Edited by MaliceX

What a loaded question, my answer to you is why are you only pvp-ing in a story driven mmo?

This x infinity.

But coming from the other end I always wondered why people bought this "story" game to only PvP.

There was nothing that made me think "oh I bet this would be a good PvP game" when it was advertised.

meh I like the pvp, especially the healing of warzones!!!

Why do you run the same warzones all the time? Warzones are just as boring as running the same FP/OPs over, and over, and over. It's not like the wack-a-mole button smashing combat in this game takes any skill.

I do it cause thats the only way to get PVP gear at this time. And you're right the PVP in this game and in any MMO game takes no skill really.

Back on track to my original question. Thank you for the replies. So mostly people do PVE content not to get more powerful items but simply to have "fun". Got it. Guess i'm used to WoW where everyone (at least the pvpers I hang out with) raid every week to get the most OP weapon/trinket/armor. :D

PVE has allways been by primary focus in any MMO. Just a personal preference. I do pvp from times but generally it have to stop once the dramma starts in pvp groups. Seems there are allways peeps that cut other down for not being uber enough or as great as they are. Thats the turn off for pvp to me and I really wish it didnt happen in these games as the way I see it some peeps forget it is just a game.

I PLAY the game. I have pvp'ed but do not like pvp in any MMO I have ever played to date. I have done OPs and Flashpoints. I am not a gear grinder. I have done OPs and Flashpoints repeatedly for gear but only to get to OTHER OPs or Flashpoints. What I prefer in the game is the story. I feel the story in SWTOR and the way in which it is told is unique to all other MMO's. If Bioware had done the story without any leveling and gear advancement, I would have played that game just for the story.

Also, let me explain my "do not like pvp in any MMO" comment. One of the major failures of most MMO's is to provide just an ARENA atmosphere to their pvp matches. Or, they offer open world pvp with no REAL OBJECTIVES. I do not like playing any sort of pvp without objectives or in an arena style match. PvP should reflect the story more then just one faction vs another in a set piece affair. And none of this is even discussing the terrible mechanics of pvp combat.

Edited by Gruug

What a loaded question, my answer to you is why are you only pvp-ing in a story driven mmo?

Dont know what "loaded" means and I actually do PVE. I do my dailies/do hm fps I just dont do raids but was thinking of raiding again just trying to find a reason to do it other then just for the "fun" and more for trying to gain an advantage in PVP. It's all good though.

Because this is a PvE game? 95% of the content in this game is PvE whilst in PvP you have 4 Warzones and nothing else - after seeing each one of the Warzone maps a few times I'm already bored of them. PvP feels a lot like dailies, tacked on to give people who can't raid for whatever reason something else to do.

To put it into perspective, you can easily tell a PvE focused game from a PvP focused game - PvP games (see GW) do not give rewards which provide players with statistical advantages, whilst games which are primarily focused on PvE (see WoW/TOR) design their PvP reward system around gear which in itself is a PvE player mindset.

Also, I don't like being rewarded based on time spent whilst losing, I prefer to be rewarded for winning - and that is one of the main differences between PvE and PvP players in AAA MMOs, PvE players expect to get nothing but repair bills when they lose whilst PvPers usually whine they aren't getting rewarded fast enough for losing. ;)

Personally in WoW I considered Arena/RBGs to be decent PvP content but looked on BGs as nothing but daily quests with more obnoxious people (NPCs usually hide their nerd-rage :D). Now consider the fact that in TOR we ONLY have non-ranked BGs and ask yourself - why do you PvP in this game?

Edited by RangerRobEU

Why do you pvp? its lame, PVP has no bearing in this game what so ever. it takes place in a fictitious room, you don't loose valor if you die, you don't loose titles, your gear does not take damage. there is no point to winning or dying. at the end of the A match the reset button gets push there are no real objectives to fight over (I.E Xp bonus, real world bases). its like watch a star trek the next generation episode.

Why do you pvp? its lame, PVP has no bearing in this game what so ever. it takes place in a fictitious room, you don't loose valor if you die, you don't loose titles, your gear does not take damage. there is no point to winning or dying. at the end of the A match the reset button gets push there are no real objectives to fight over (I.E Xp bonus, real world bases). its like watch a star trek the next generation episode.

Sure... but its a hec of a lot of fun. Not to mention that taking on a human opponent can be a great deal more satisfying than Googling the correct approach to take down a boss. :D Seriously, I don't PvP as a general rule, but I can see the attraction. Taking on human opponents and defeating them is an accomplishment in and of itself. We PvE ers need the shiny badges to let others know what we have done. PvPers? They know they owned your butt when the fight is done. No need for a shiny badge. lol

So... Op. I'd say it really comes down to the gear. There is a surprise. :rolleyes: If you are not a big fan of endgame and Ops, will running through Nightmare really give you an advantage in PvP land? I wouldn't think so. It is fun though and who knows it might just give you some new insight in to the mechanics of the game in general and get you a few drops that will up your stats in PvP. My advice, yea, work your way through it. It might help. But I wouldn't worry about missing anything if your focus is PvP. If that's why you are here, then by all means continue as you are. Edited by Rafaman

I used to play RuneScape, in fact, it was my first MMO. This was... many, many years ago. I would go into the forest thing where you could be murdered at any moment to try to gather materials for crafting, armor, things I needed to level up, etc.

I was always killed by someone of a ridiculously high level. You could only keep three of your things, unless you had a prayer going that let you keep four. They were chosen by the highest value, but you lost all your gold, your materials, whatever. And I think the "keep three things" deal came years after I had started playing(I had played near the beginning).

Since I hate being randomly murdered, I play on PvE servers as a rule. Nowadays, you don't lose everything/most things you have in your inventory, but it's become a habit.

Also, the TOR series of games have awesome stories (for the most part).

The story for the PvE content is very good, as well as the enjoyment of playing with friends while raiding. PvP does not interest me simply because it is broken. It's is quite obvious that there are some severe class differences when it comes to PvP. I'd rather play a game like Dota 2 if I really want a kind of pvp feeling.

Why do you run the same warzones all the time? Warzones are just as boring as running the same FP/OPs over, and over, and over. It's not like the wack-a-mole button smashing combat in this game takes any skill.

Except with Warzones I can test my skills against real life opponents rather than AI. Doing a flashpoint 2 or 3 times is cool, but after that it just gets repetitive. Same enemies, same strategies.....same outcome. At least with Warzones EVERY match is different. Sometimes you're the stronger team that is totally dominating the match, sometimes you're the weaker time who has to never give up and hope to pull out a win, and sometimes it is dead even and the match literally comes down to the wire.

Again, in the end, I am a highly competitive person and the only way for me to see how good I am, is to play with and against players who are equally good as I am or even better.

Why do you PVE is swtor? That's like asking why do you play football in Madden.

Its fun, has great content and stories, and coordinating with your team to take down an objective is rewarding.

The PvP in this game, IMO, is very well-designed and fun if you have competent people in your group (...if you don't, though, it can be frustrating.). The devs have obviously put a lot of time into it - sure, you have the usual nerfs/buffs/etc, but there isn't really one blatantly overpowered FOTM class so far as I can see like there has been in WoW almost every arena season in the game.

Sure, you get FOTM rolls (sentinels/marauders), but it's not 'every other play is the FOTM', nor are the flavor-of-the-month classes extremely overpowered.

(Note: In my opinion. I'm known to be wrong. This whole 'become a God' thing on my bucket list hasn't been working out so well.).

Except with Warzones I can test my skills against real life opponents rather than AI. Doing a flashpoint 2 or 3 times is cool, but after that it just gets repetitive. Same enemies, same strategies.....same outcome. At least with Warzones EVERY match is different.

I disagree. Either the team with the best gear wins, or the team with the best group composition wins, or the team who actually listens to each other wins. Essentially you live or die by what the RNG gave you to work with on your team and not because of what you do during the match yourself quite a bit of the time.

Also to be fair... a lot of the time humans in WZs are dumber than NPCs in FPs and therefore easier to kill. :D

Again, in the end, I am a highly competitive person and the only way for me to see how good I am, is to play with and against players who are equally good as I am or even better.

Isn't that the point though? There is really no measure of how good you are in this game - every player is unrated and you are never on an even playing field because it's always influenced by RNG group composition. A game HAS to be either ranked or pre-made vs pre-made in equivalent gear in order for skill to be the deciding factor.

I actually LOVE PvP but it has to be on an even playing field which is why I never bother with PvP in gear based games unless there is some kind of ratings system to make sure that everybody you are fighting against is playing with you on an even playing field. I get no satisfaction from rolling over less-geared opponents or bad teams.

Edited by RangerRobEU

Wow, some people really think gear is skill. There's no skill in a class system either. Why? Because you can never have equal balance between all of them one against another. If they put in a legends simulator like DCUO, changed the combat system to something other than button clicking, and actually had to aim, then it might require skill.