Really Bioware? Not even one non theme park mmo kill x # of x mission?

Niv_Dralshya

What the game really lacks is interaction between republic and empire players out of warzones. They should have put in pvp choke points and quests similar to warhammer.

Or even something innovative like flashpoints where players outside your own group can be involved. How fun would it be if at certain points of a flashpoint you come across other groups playing out some parallel story. It's totally possible since "dungeons" can hold up to 16 players at once :)

Edited by NasherUK

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killing and collecting stuff happens nearly in every game and mmo. But the difference is that compared to the other mmo's is that you have far more sense why you are doing it. I can name a few quest in WoW where you slaughtered a a ******** of npc´s just so that the npc quest giver can make a meal. Isnt that epic! i just killed half the murloc population because some sod was hungry.

When you do a quest in SWTOR you immediately feels its vital for the war effort and that alone makes this game way better then most mmo´s

Thats not the role of the sith inquisitor. You fail at understanding your own damn story.

I see where you are coming from... But either way kill x number of mobs is still kill x number of mobs no matter how you look at it. Yea these x number of x are a staple for mmos, but they could have tried some new things as well.

I just spent the weekend chilling out in the secret world. Definitely intriguing game. It had two outstanding moments...

1. In the basement looking for security cameras you have to figure out a bunch of mechanisms to not trigger booby traps. It took severa deaths before i realised there were security cameras triggering the mines and not proximity triggered. It also took several deaths before i turned right immediately at the entrance and saw a path under said camera. There was no one to help me... well, there was, but i actually wanted to figure it out.

It wasnt hard. This should be stressed. There were a series of obstacles you had to figure out. All of them were relatively easy at the end of the day, but you didnt have to kill anyone... well, you did; the dude at the end of the obstacles, but he was just as powerful as every other trash mob so not exactly the main climax there.

The point though is that the bar is now REALLLLLLY LOW. I was STUNNED and amazed to have to stop, think and work out the solution to an environmental puzzle for the first time in an MMO (outside of boss strategies and rotations/spec building).

Actually a little unfair since theres always datacrons. But they feel like something ancillary to the actual game here. Which of course they shouldnt be (and thats why its unfair). And some of those were a pain in the rump to get to (though mainly due to falling 3/4s of the way because the jump never responded at the right point with upwards of 300 ping).

The second thing though was the investigation quests. I only got through to the third tier of the one in kingsmouth but it was epic fun being led around a town of zombies avoiding them and trying to figure out the puzzles. And to help you theres a hotkey to open your damn web browser! Wanna know who Frans Hals was? Whats he got to do with the illuminati? Well, its a massive investigation of which im only two steps in. Its an excellent quest device and one you guys should be seriously thinking about stealing.

(if youre curious just how convoluted it gets, google the kingsmouth code).

Honestly, when this game was in beta i was happy chirping away about how its not going to be all about the loot grind and how the appeal to casuals doesnt just mean easier access to purples. But instead i figured it was now to be redefined as immersion in the world and in the lore of the game. Something you could dip into and out of to make you care about the world and your standpoint toward its main elements.

Im still with you guys, but LFD and gear grinding isnt really what i wanted from the game. Its nice its coming and all, it makes one part of the game easier to access. But really the OP has a massive point here. I remember someone in beta remarking that EVERY QUEST was literally go and click these three blue glowing things in this area here (with about 50 mobs and a miserable respawn rate so you have to fight them all on the way out again if youre trying to keep your hearth free for something possibly even worse - or youve already used it).

The hamster wheel is turgid, fire up our imaginations a bit. :)

Edited by ippollite

I was STUNNED and amazed to have to stop, think and work out the solution to an environmental puzzle for the first time in an MMO (outside of boss strategies and rotations/spec building).

Yep, same here. Got my preorder about two months ago and the last beta weekend was great and showed a truckload of little improvements over the beta from last month. The quest goals and the whole way how quests are solved are extremely refreshing, almost feels like a totally new genre and the immersion is awesome.

TOR´s quest system could learn a truckload about how to improve the gaming experience.

Guess in a month or so, there will be another one of these Game X vs. TOR threads, this time TSW vs. TOR

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

So, I'm on Corellia, and I get a mission prompt about this chick who has Jedi prisoners who aren't talking and needs help. And I think "This is the perfect opportunity to have a mission that isn't about killing x number of so and so, or collect X number of loot or activate X number of thingies, a more story driven, meaty quest about a tense interrogation, a more mind game type deal. The kind of stuff I love Bioware for."

So, My character actually says "I could give them a working over, I'm really good at interrogation" .I'm A Sith Inquisitor, and Yes, I am good at interrogation, and I have gotten to do so very little of it.

BUT NO! WE CAN'T HAVE ANY VARIETY IN OUR THEME PARK MMO! THAT WOULD BE TOO GOOD./B]

No. You need to go collect X number of lock boxes, kill X number of guards and get X number of droids so I can perform off screen interrogations you'll get to AT MOST read about in a mail later on with some extra credits, oh and to top it all off ,I'd bet there's not even a lightside/darkside choice any where in there.

Is it so much to break it up a little outside the class quests? hell ,almost all of them are the same three things, use this item, kill x number of things, collect x number of loot, dialogue tree with three options that say nothing like what it says in the wheel prompt, followed by an arbitrary light/dark choice with totally bland and shallow 'light dark' options designation where light is usually just rational, if not just as evil if not more so as the dark option, which is almost always just "Lol kill" or pointlessly cruel for cruelties sake, that's not dark, that's not evil, it's stupid.

Don't get me wrong, when this game is good, it's great. But c'mon here guys you're killin me! I've been playing Bioware games for over ten years, And the one thing I've learned to love about them is how the story matters, the dialogue matters and the gameplay is more than just 'kill x number of this' over and over and over again.

I know you guys are better than this!

Not much that can be done now but... for christsakes guys, in the future, mix it up a little and throw some different kinds of quests in with the rest of the theme park filler, that's all I ask, a little variety when the story calls for it, other wise you're just wasting our times with the fluff.

A *great* Example of this sort of thing, was Voss, The quests on Voss were great and far more based upon how you respond, rather than killing things, The dialogue was important, the responses important in a large number of quests and I would love to see more of that kind of thing, mix. it. up!.

Best part is! it's not even that difficult, make a bit of cut scene, a bit more dialogue and some more responses and think a bit, and you're done!

Surprise! We have added story to your MMO!...?

All of this was discussed in closed beta, and it did no good. They had plenty of time to change things when we started testing, and the only things they ended up changing were features that most of us liked. It's too bad most of you will never know how the game was back then. They might not have lost so many subs if they'd left many things unchanged from early beta.

I agree. You don't even know how much I agree to this post.

I was able to test The Secret World this last weekend and, while the game has many flaws (in my opinion), I really enjoyed the quests there. Specially the investigation ones. However, most MMO players don't even tolerate this kind of quests that make you (God forbid!) think. Anyways, having more of those quests for variety's sake is what I expected on SWTOR since the very start, instead of the "kill, kill 'em all!" (yeah, a jedi always killing everything that crosses his/her path, makes perfect sense...) or "pick/use X" missions that we have right now mostly. It doesn't require any amazing new tech or complex coding, it can (and could) be done with the tools that the game already uses.

Cheers.

What's funny is prior to the release of the game BW kept saying "Oh we hate how MMO's have you doing quests of 'Go collect 10 rat tails, 20 herb roots' so we've changed that in our MMO" .....I fail to see where they've changed it.

theres no rat tails, its a hydrospanner, tho why ud need 10 of them.

I think the best example of what this is about is my experience as a Consular.

The consular is ALL about peace & talking through things. But as far as I can see (at least not before lvl 40) there is NO thinking quest AT ALL. It's all "Kill this, kill that." why would a consular be killing ANYTHING? I'm not saying I want to coast through everything without killing anything, but the point has been made BW has not came through on any promises apart from one on this subject: You're not killing that guy for no reason. There is a reason, but for god sake I'm sick of being a jedi & everything resorting to bloody violence. That's not what the jedi are about! :mad: (The mad emote doesn't even come close to how mad I am over this.)

If you're going to make an epic story line & all of this, all I ask is that, Bioware, can you have it make a little bit more freaking sense please? Why is a consular killing things? That's a soldiers job. :| Yes I know I can just not do the side quests & just do the main story.. but to get to some of the locations for the story you *must* kill things, more than not, senselessly.

Edited by Aedey

I agree. You don't even know how much I agree to this post.

I was able to test The Secret World this last weekend and, while the game has many flaws (in my opinion), I really enjoyed the quests there. Specially the investigation ones. However, most MMO players don't even tolerate this kind of quests that make you (God forbid!) think. Anyways, having more of those quests for variety's sake is what I expected on SWTOR since the very start, instead of the "kill, kill 'em all!" (yeah, a jedi always killing everything that crosses his/her path, makes perfect sense...) or "pick/use X" missions that we have right now mostly. It doesn't require any amazing new tech or complex coding, it can (and could) be done with the tools that the game already uses.

Cheers.

I find TSW to be an interesting distraction with a good variety of quest executions and a refreshing character progression system, but everything else with respect to the combat, gameplay and animation just kills it for me completely. It feels so poorly done. Is Blizzard seriously the only friggin developer out there than can create crisp and responsive gameplay in an MMO? I am starting to think so.

Edit: Actually, TERA has awesomely crisp controls too.

Edited by Gungan

What strikes me is that I found not ONE SINGLE mission which would give you a bonus for NOT killing mobs, e.g. as a stealth class.

I thought this would be the most obvious mission type, to sneak in somewhere without killing, without being noticed, hack into some panels by doing a small Paradroid 90-type minigame.

No, of course it had to be kill X and click x everywhere. Unbelievable.

I know this may come to a shock to you, but TOR is a Theme park MMO. I know, shocking right? These kind of quests aren't unique to just theme park MMO's. SWG was filled with these boring quests as is EQ2. IF your looking to get away from it, I hear Hello Kitty Online has none of these types of quests. Worth a shot.

What strikes me is that I found not ONE SINGLE mission which would give you a bonus for NOT killing mobs, e.g. as a stealth class.

I thought this would be the most obvious mission type, to sneak in somewhere without killing, without being noticed, hack into some panels by doing a small Paradroid 90-type minigame.

No, of course it had to be kill X and click x everywhere. Unbelievable.

My agent is a couple of levels low for their class quest because I choose to stealth by mobs rather than grind them. I'll go into a dungeon, kill one mob to see if it opens a bonus. If it doesn't then I stealth by everything. You can call it for RP reasons, but I get tired of killing critters for no reason. :)

I find TSW to be an interesting distraction with a good variety of quest executions and a refreshing character progression system, but everything else with respect to the combat, gameplay and animation just kills it for me completely. It feels so poorly done. Is Blizzard seriously the only friggin developer out there than can create crisp and responsive gameplay in an MMO? I am starting to think so.

Edit: Actually, TERA has awesomely crisp controls too.

I agree. I'm not buying it right now exactly for those reasons, coupled with the sub & cash shop duo and the fact that I have the feeling that it will go the "AoC way". But even if it's not an MMO that I would buy right away, I found the quests to be pretty good and interesting and I think that that's something that should be "copied" by other MMORPGs.

And heck, if you ask me about my perfect MMO I would say that it would be the one with Tera's animations, TSW's story and quest variety with a SWTOR twist on them (conversation choices and PC's VO), Guild Wars 2's world and quest handling (AKA dynamic), Tera and GW2's mixed combat gameplay, TBC WoW's raids, GW's PvP... Yeah, keep dreaming, hahahaha.

Cheers.

Edited by Lethemback

Mission Title: "One Night on Nar Shaddaa"

Objective: Kill, capture or thwart Bilbo the Hutt's plan to dominate the Empire's cheese wheel production on Nar Shaddaa.

Quest Giver: Lootjar Blings

Stage 1: Hands Off The Lootjar.

Be presented with option to go after Bilbo the Hutt with your guns blazing or to look for a quieter method of hamstringing his efforts. If player decides to go the Aggressive route, skip to stage 2.B.

If player decides to go the Investigative route, go to stage 1.A

Stage 1.A: Find Catcradle Silverspoon.

Lootjar is able to direct the player to an information broker that might be able to help her find a few leads. As it turns out, however, the information broker is a cyborg and throw-away experiment with emotional vulnerabilities that the player could exploit, ignore or try to help her with. If the player exploits her vulnerabilities, she'll give them a false lead on how to blackmail Bilbo the Hutt with a fake secret from his past (Plot will skip to stage 2.B). If the player ignores her obvious emotional vulnerability, they'll be asked to pay 5000 credits or agree to do her a favor in the future in return for being told a way to blackmail Bilbo the Hutt's advisor, Rudolph 'The Red' Render (Plot advances to 1.B).

If the player seeks to befriend Catcradle, dialogue will occur in which, depending on their choices, they might learn the tragic reason for her depression and, if they agree to come back later to help her resolve it, will be given the information on how to blackmail Rudolph 'The Red' Render for free. They will also unlock Plot 292 focusing on her personal woes and their resolution.

Stage 1.B: Black and Red Are In This Year

Taking the information acquired from Catcradle, whether by ignoring her emotional vulnerability or agreeing to help her resolve it later, will lead the player to hunting down as many of Rudolph 'The Red' Render's ex girlfriends as they're able to find. Finding them will require a fair amount of discretely asking around with various NPC's scattered throughout the cantinas of Nar Shaddaa. Ultimately, there are five ex girlfriends the player can locate and either bribe with credits for dirt on Rudolph (neutral option), intimidate for darkside points (Darkside 2 or higher required to succeed at these intimidation attempts) or agree to protect them from Rudolph in return for dirt on him and gain Lightside points (Lightside 2 or higher required for them to believe the player).

If the player gets dirt from 0-2 ex girlfriends before confronting Rudolph, it is insufficient to sway him; proceed to Stage 2.B.

If the player gets dirt from no fewer than 3 of Rudolph's ex girlfriends, it unlocks the dialogue in which the player can either blackmail Rudolph into feeding information back to her under Bilbo the Hutt's nose or kill him. Proceed to Stage 2.A.

If the player gets dirt from all 5 ex girlfriends by way of the darkside options, proceed to Stage 2.B, with dialogue modified to account for that some of the ex girlfriends got in touch with Rudolph and warn him that a scary meanyface is looking to set him up the bomb.

If the player gets dirt from all 5 ex girlfriends by way of the lightside options, proceed to Stage 2.C, in which the ex girlfriends wind up being captured by Rudolph before the confrontation and the player can either live up to her promise to protect them or betray their trust during the confrontation.

Stage 2.A: He Had A Very Shiny Gun

If the player successfully blackmails Rudolph, proceed to Stage 3.A. If the player kills Rudolph, proceed to Stage 3.A with modified dialogue accounting for this.

Stage 2.B: If the player goes directly into Bilbo the Hutt's warehouse or elsewise winds up shunted into Stage 2.B, they'll have to fight their way through Bilbo the Hutt's personal guards as well as overcome the traps therein. An NPC named Benedict Annette; a slavegirl of Bilbo the Hutt's keeping; can be rescued within Bilbo's Warehouse, or ignored and left to die. If Benedict Annette is rescued, she'll give the player a passcode allowing them to bypass the blast doors into Bilbo the Hutt's inner sanctum; proceed to Stage 3.B WIthout the passcode, possessing the Slicing skill at 200+ will allow the player to bypass the blast door controls on their own; proceed to Stage 3.B.

With neither the passcode nor sufficient Slicing skill, destroying the controls will hardlock the blast doors and activate emergency response droids that will attack the player. After destroying the emergency response droids, one of Bilbo's henchmen inside his throne room will slice the blast doors open and begin the final confrontation. Proceed to Stage 3.C.

--Stage 2.C Modifies 2.B Dialogue, adding in the factor of Rudolph having captured his ex girlfriends. The player will be forced to choose between honoring her agreement to protect them and thus either fight Rudolph and let him go in trade for the code to free the ex girlfriends or resort to killing him for it (For darkside points). If they let him go, he'll betray his word to leave Nar Shaddaa and will be there at the final confrontation with Bilbo.

If the player lets the ex girlfriends die, they get darkside points and wind up having to fight Rudolph anyway, because he's a jerk like that.

Stage 3.A: My Big, Fat Hutt Wedding?

At the disadvantage whether for Rudolph's betrayal or absence for being dead, Bilbo the Hutt will capitulate to the player's demands without a fight, though will throw a curve on the dialogue by offering to marry the player (irrespective of gender. Hutts don't have qualms.). If the player agrees to marry Bilbo the Hutt, they're both very weird and may proceed into Plot 293, wherein which further business dealings with their two-ton business partner (you didn't think Hutt marriage was romantically motivated, did you?) may be explored.

If they decline, Bilbo the Hutt will still capitulate to their present demands. If they elect to kill Bilbo the Hutt, Plot 294 activates in which Bilbo's powerbase will fragment, causing havoc throughout several sectors of Nar Shaddaa.

Stage 3.B: Its Not Shinola, So It Must Be...

The violent confrontation with Bilbo the Hutt, Rudolph 'The Red' Render and their henchpersons must be conducted carefully, as Bilbo will be hiding behind a kinetic barrier and controlling turrets while Rudolph and crew engage the player directly. If the player kills Rudolph and crew as well as destroys the turrets, Bilbo may be engaged in modified Stage 3.A dialogue, and the option to be married as business partners can come up here.

Otherwise, the force field can be set to overload, frying Bilbo, or the player can extort him to capitulate with their current demands. If they kill Bilbo the Hutt, Plot 294 activates.

If Bilbo, by any of these routes, capitulates to the player's current demands, Plot 295 activates.

End Mission Chain.

There's what I've got to say about all this.

Edited by Uruare

MMOs should be full of different playstyles. There are enough SW combat only games out there.

If this going to be a kind of "World of Star Wars" experience, there should be everything in from Swoop Racing, to Space Exploration, ground combat, vehicle combat, housing, puzzle and infiltration quests, evasive/covert missions and a truckload of minigames like a working Nar Shaddaa casino...

Agreed.

Nar Shaddaa is the most disappointing planet for me because it could have been the Las Vegas of SW. It could have been dirty, dark and littered with shady characters. Right now, it just seems like a clean, bigger, empty version of the seedy sections of Coruscant. There is even a quest about a former druggie but you rarely see people passed out in the street, begging for money or committing random crimes.

Also, not just Nar Shaddaa, but cantinas in general could have been more creative. Quests inside the area like Bioware did in ME2. You could have had your mixture the OP refers to even in those settings. Receiving secret code that needs to be deciphered, backroom interrogations, minigames for fun or to further along main and sidequests.

I think adding the things you mentioned would go a long way to making the game more fun and content-rich.

To be honest we really need some more puzzle based missions that don't involve combat. I would love a level 50 area on Tython where jedi knights and consulars can train new padawans, giving them instruction in the ways of the force. Of course it would be completely optional.

i like that idea its better than mine.

i wanted an area of typhon and koriban where there were actualy dig sites (jedi claim to be digging up stuff on typhon but you dont see it) and you could help by clicking on a few things and searching threw random junk to find relics of importance for the order's

Killing and collecting stuff happens nearly in every game and mmo. But the difference is that compared to the other mmo's is that you have far more sense why you are doing it. I can name a few quest in WoW where you slaughtered a a ******** of npc´s just so that the npc quest giver can make a meal. Isnt that epic! i just killed half the murloc population because some sod was hungry.

When you do a quest in SWTOR you immediately feels its vital for the war effort and that alone makes this game way better then most mmo´s

Thats not the role of the sith inquisitor. You fail at understanding your own damn story.

But the thing is.. It's all a PRE - WRITTEN script.. We have no effect on the world or community.. All we are doing is opening a curtain to see what is already behind it.. I didn't make it, and I sure didn't live it.. EVERY single Sith Inquis. is repeating what I already did or vice versa.. it's NOT "my own damn story"...... HELLO.. It's Bioware's pre-written story..

Nar Shaddaa is the most disappointing planet for me because it could have been the Las Vegas of SW. It could have been dirty, dark and littered with shady characters.
It may very well become that. I for one hope it does. Having every best element of every best possible scenario reside all in one game world may be a bit unrealistic though. If it was that simple other games would already have them. For all its 600 lb. gorillaness WoW still has no character housing, guild halls, PvP mount races or open aerial combat (among other things.) Cool would have been ski & snowboard crafting so I could carve the slopes of Storm Peaks & Icecrown. Edited by GalacticKegger

But the thing is.. It's all a PRE - WRITTEN script.. We have no effect on the world or community.. All we are doing is opening a curtain to see what is already behind it.. I didn't make it, and I sure didn't live it.. EVERY single Sith Inquis. is repeating what I already did or vice versa.. it's NOT "my own damn story"...... HELLO.. It's Bioware's pre-written story..

This is going to be the case with any video game. You can only perform an action within the confines of the game's mechanics. Even in a sandbox title like SWG where you aren't following directed questing you still can't create something outside of the game's confines. An illusion of choice is all you'll ever have.

This is going to be the case with any video game. You can only perform an action within the confines of the game's mechanics. Even in a sandbox title like SWG where you aren't following directed questing you still can't create something outside of the game's confines. An illusion of choice is all you'll ever have.

Lies. The developers are responsible for giving players the tools to write their own story. In the context of SWTOR it means literally, just like City of Heroes, to create tools for players to write their own missions for other players to run in a flashpoint type scenario.

Player created content is the key. A community of a hundred thousand can produce more content than BW possibly could in the same amount of time. Yeah some will suck, but it will be rated down with peer rating functions.

How do you think WOW got such a huge selection of addons? The addon community in WoW is massive. The same would happen in SWTOR. BW could even have a "dev pick" flag for truly awesome PCC. The tool would just let you pick a setting and go from there. Obviously there would be no voiceover work, but frankly I don't care. Games should not be trying to become more and more like movies.

Lies. The developers are responsible for giving players the tools to write their own story. In the context of SWTOR it means literally, just like City of Heroes, to create tools for players to write their own missions for other players to run in a flashpoint type scenario.

Player created content is the key. A community of a hundred thousand can produce more content than BW possibly could in the same amount of time. Yeah some will suck, but it will be rated down with peer rating functions.

How do you think WOW got such a huge selection of addons? The addon community in WoW is massive. The same would happen in SWTOR. BW could even have a "dev pick" flag for truly awesome PCC. The tool would just let you pick a setting and go from there. Obviously there would be no voiceover work, but frankly I don't care. Games should not be trying to become more and more like movies.

I believe you hit on the biggest roadblock to CoH or STO style sandboxing in TOR. But many do embrace this MMO because of its MMO-movie mergence (core audience mostly who expects and anticipates it.) So I don't see the game moving away from it's VO / VA roots which is Bioware's strength. They are just too integral to this game, which was intentionally designed to elude simple click n' go quest mechanics to begin with. Edited by GalacticKegger

I believe you hit on the biggest roadblock to CoH or STO style sandboxing in TOR. But many do embrace this MMO because of its MMO-movie mergence (core audience mostly who expects and anticipates it.) So I don't see the game moving away from it's VO / VA roots which is Bioware's strength. They are just too integral to this game, which was intentionally designed to elude simple click n' go quest mechanics to begin with.

Except the last daily hub uses mission terminals. Subtitles should be enough.

Except the last daily hub uses mission terminals. Subtitles should be enough.
For mission terminals? Ya, just might work. But integrating them into a character's official storyline or the game's mainstream would likely require Bioware to reinvent the thing ... not worth it imho. So they'd probably have to be peripheral side quests/stories which could be pretty cool for those who prefer click n' go questing. How would gathering node, rewards, drops and legacy XP assignments & allocations work so as to prevent imbalance? Would it use existing map areas & mob populations or can players overpopulate areas if they wanted to? Maybe have existing but unused zones assigned for these? NWN had an awesome tool for this, but it wasn't an MMO so maintaining game balance wasn't an issue. Edited by GalacticKegger