East/West vs Snow/Grass

Sock_Bramson

First off...what?

Next time your in Voidstar, rotate your camera and check out what happens your your left/right, it's gonna blow your mind.

its perspective based if you cant remember that your defending & which door is on which side when you ran out of the spawn point at the start then i hope your never on my team

anyone who has played a handfull of rounds on voidstar (or any warzone) doesnt get confused about where they are onthe map when they rotate the camera

Edited by LucasEighty

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing it varies from server to server. We've never used the term "snow/grass"

It's always been east/west/mid/south etc....

about the only time we divert is when first leaving the gate "2 left, rest mid" or "stealth right, rest left" etc...

seems like it does vary from server to server, i think alot of the confusion comes from siths coming over to rep as it would seem the sith maps are upside down & rep maps are accurate to perspective of spawn point hence why so many reps use left/right & imps use east/west or snow/grass

its rare u hear east/west on a rep side outside of novo at least on my server anyway

Edited by LucasEighty

East/West is better, no contest.

If you're not familiar with cardinal directions, here's a quick primer. Your mini-map is always oriented so north is up, south is down, east is right, and west is left. This never changes.

You're running around the middle node kiting/chasing someone who is kiting, getting disoriented in the process. Someone calls "snow": oh crap, which way is that? Someone calls "east" instead: you just glance at your mini-map and start moving towards the right side of it.

East and West are constants, so please, use them. in b4 "Snow/Grass doesn't change": what about when Civil War becomes same faction in 1.3? What about Voidstar and Novare Coast, where east and west have no identifying features like snow and grass?

There is no debate, really. "East/West" is by far the easiest way to orient yourself. The people who are used to calling "snow/grass" shouldn't have a problem calling "east/west" because they have to do it for the other maps.

-Hedley Melange <Dynamic>, The Shadowlands-

If anyone gets confused about LEFT vs RIGHT and needs Snow/Grass then they really have no short term memory.

No matter which direction anyone is going the minimap stays the same with north and south so LEFT/RIGHT are ALWAYS THE SAME.

LET ME REPEAT THAT: LEFET AND RIGHT ON MINIMAP NEVER CHANGE!!!!!

(So Snow / Grass is just a stupid idea gone wrong!)

First off...what?

Next time your in Voidstar, rotate your camera and check out what happens your your left/right, it's gonna blow your mind.

Look at the mini map and your character, it will blow your mind that LEFT and RIGHT never change.

You seem to have this strange idea that the minimap spins when in fact it never changes just your own direction does.

Also this works the same way on the big map. Left and Right never change. So again Snow/Grass is just silly.

Edited by Metalmac

We've done studies on this. Gass/Snow/Mid is the most efficient and clearest way to communicate.

When someone calls "Grass", your team mates only have to look at their feet to know where to go. If its not green then move. If its green, then look for enemies.

On average people were 70% more responsive.

LOL sorry what a load of crap.

Le sigh. If you're sitting in the middle of CW, all you see is metal. The quickest way to either side is up identical metal ramps. One of them is to the east, the other is to the west.

When you're on the starting ship, there isn't any snow or grass in front of the corresponding speeder. The one on the east side goes east, the one on the west side goes west.

The Voidstar mini-map is not inverted; the cardinal directions still hold true. Ditto for Novare.

I'm not saying that people can't figure out which way to go if they're used to "snow/grass." What I'm saying is it makes much more sense to call "east/west", since it's universally applicable. It's all well and good if you're used to "snow/grass", but don't expect transfers to appreciate your system. I've only seen a few people on our new server who use "snow/grass", so for The Shadowlands, at least, "east/west" is much more common.

How is "snow/grass" quicker for you (whoever posted that)? I'm not asking a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious. It would seem to me that the split second it takes to look at your mini-map is the quickest way to go. Even if it takes the same amount of time to orient yourself either way, I don't see why you wouldn't just use the system that applies to the other capture/defend WZs.

East and West are kinda ok but when on opposite team this does not work as you are facing other direction.

On the other hand Left/Right always works as no matter which team you are on look at minimap and stays the same.

Let me help.

Snow - east

Grass - west

Now you always know where to go! Now what if someone calls left and I'm looking east.. Do I go to the spawn?

The minimap will ALWAYS be left and right no matter which spawn point you started at.

Works for both teams.

Besides you were born with a left and right. Snow Grass has to be learned.

My brain doesn't, I must be weird. West is immediately west and east is immediately east for me. Left/right is based on perception. West/East is never based on Perception.

The problem with left/right as mentioned is people will base it off perception of spawn, or perception of map. West/east is always west/east there is no perception involved.

Sorry this does not work for both sides.

If you start out north facing south then East West are reversed.

On the other hand Left Right always stay the same on the mini map for entire team. True for both teams.

You guys seem a bit confused about left/right. They never change on the MINI-MAP ONLY because they correspond the west/east, i.e. it's really west/east that doesn't change. Left and right are constantly changing from someone's individual perception. Defenders left in VS is the Attackers right, etc etc. If you're defending and looking at the doors (as you should), you've switched perspectives.

Please, use east/west. It's the only truly constant way to call it. Sure, grass/snow are always in the same place and left/right will always be the same relative to the spawn, but you're taking extra time to translate either call into east/west. Even if you're used to grass/snow or right/left and know which way is which, you're still taking extra time to think to yourself "snow = east", whereas you could simply register "east."

Yes, I'm only quibbling about a matter of a second at most, but it still makes a difference. The biggest thing I'm pushing for is consistency, a single system that you can use for any map in any situation.

We've done studies on this. Gass/Snow/Mid is the most efficient and clearest way to communicate.

When someone calls "Grass", your team mates only have to look at their feet to know where to go. If its not green then move. If its green, then look for enemies.

On average people were 70% more responsive.

I disagree. Snow is on both sides. Yes, I know that one side is "covered" in snow and one has grass. But both sides are surrounded by snow. But I have found that more ppl get snow/grass confused than anything else.

EAst and West is the most efficient way to point out directions why do you think the entire world uses it for all directions...grass and snow is dumb and makes you look like a 6 yr old (no offense to 6 yr olds) make every one learn cardinal directionsand save grass and snow for your kids

East/west callouts are superior to these other directions in my opinion. East/west is universal through all warzones. it's less confusing than left/right based on perspective.

For those of you that get confused on east/west direction, remember this. It never changes on the minimap/radar. When you look at the minimap/radar, west/east will always spell WE when reading from left to right.

i will always call snow grass. mainly because people seem to get easily confused on left right. and can easily be noticed by looking at surroundings

real issue is in VoidStar where people consider East/west based on spawn that changes. or map

personally i give location based on map. the Left door is the same door regardless of spawn, the door doesn't move.

The minimap will ALWAYS be left and right no matter which spawn point you started at.

Works for both teams.

Besides you were born with a left and right. Snow Grass has to be learned.

And when the most common left/rigt is related to spawn point, the problem starts.

East/West never change, left/right do, depending on where I spawn.

Giving directions, do you tell people to follow the road and take a left, or do you point on the map that is oriented to north and point at the place further down the road to south and say they have to take a turn to the right at that point.

i will always call snow grass. mainly because people seem to get easily confused on left right. and can easily be noticed by looking at surroundings

real issue is in VoidStar where people consider East/west based on spawn that changes. or map

personally i give location based on map. the Left door is the same door regardless of spawn, the door doesn't move.

You're contradicting yourself on the whole left/right thing. You say that it's confusing in CW; good, it is, although that says nothing about how snow/grass would be better than east/west. However, you go on to say that you call left/right in VS because left is always the same and east/west change.

Bwuh? Sense, this makes none. East/West don't change, but left and right do, like, all the damn time. The "left" door relative to the attackers is the "right" door relative to the defenders. It is always the east door no matter what side you're on.

As far as snow/grass being easy to notice, that's only if you're currently standing on the grass/snow. This doesn't help people in the middle, under the middle, or respawners at all.

And when the most common left/rigt is related to spawn point, the problem starts.

Giving directions, do you tell people to follow the road and take a left, or do you point on the map that is oriented to north and point at the place further down the road to south and say they have to take a turn to the right at that point.

I tell ppl to turn left or right depending on their orientation... which takes in to account that whatever direction they are facing is their "north". Left or Right is easier on directions to most people than East or West.

I tell ppl to turn left or right depending on their orientation... which takes in to account that whatever direction they are facing is their "north". Left or Right is easier on directions to most people than East or West.

I disagree entirely. When defending in VS, I never know which door people are referring to with left and right. Half the people call left door based on looking out from spawn, whereas the other half call it left based on attacking orientation. East/West is constant and much easier.

There's a reason why highways are labeled 80 West or 5 South, and not 80 Left or 5 Right.

Cardinal directions never change.

Snow/grass is also stupid because in order to learn which side is snow and which is grass, you have to learn which one is west and which is east. Why the hell would you make something more complicated?

I disagree entirely. When defending in VS, I never know which door people are referring to with left and right. Half the people call left door based on looking out from spawn, whereas the other half call it left based on attacking orientation. East/West is constant and much easier.

I was referring to the post I quoted talking about driving directions :p

That was kind of the point ;)

It's depending on the orientation, and not the map when you use left/right :D

I agree to using East/West, less confusion if we all use that, in ALL wz....

Left/right relative to the minimap. East/west relative to the minimap. It's the same thing.

its perspective based if you cant remember that your defending & which door is on which side when you ran out of the spawn point at the start then i hope your never on my team

No matter which direction anyone is going the minimap stays the same with north and south so LEFT/RIGHT are ALWAYS THE SAME.

LET ME REPEAT THAT: LEFET AND RIGHT ON MINIMAP NEVER CHANGE!!!!!

Look at the mini map and your character, it will blow your mind that LEFT and RIGHT never change.

You seem to have this strange idea that the minimap spins when in fact it never changes just your own direction does.

Also this works the same way on the big map. Left and Right never change. So again Snow/Grass is just silly.

On the other hand Left/Right always works as no matter which team you are on look at minimap and stays the same.

Works for both teams.

Besides you were born with a left and right.

Sorry this does not work for both sides.

If you start out north facing south then East West are reversed.(lol wut)

On the other hand Left Right always stay the same on the mini map for entire team. True for both teams.

and

East and West are kinda ok but when on opposite team this does not work as you are facing other direction.(again, lol wut?)

Please see:

Of the people saying they use left/right in this thread, some have said it's left/right on the minimap while a lot of people mean left/right relative to the spawn point. If you're on defense in Voidstar those are the opposite directions, hence the confusion. So if you're on Voidstar and call "help left" of course I know were my left is, but are you talking about left out of the gate, or left on the minimap? Both answers have been given so far in this thread, so unless you can make sure every PuG understands your particular frame of reference there will be confusion. West is always west. There is no "relative to what," it's just west.

You guys seem a bit confused about left/right. They never change on the MINI-MAP ONLY because they correspond the west/east, i.e. it's really west/east that doesn't change. Left and right are constantly changing from someone's individual perception. Defenders left in VS is the Attackers right, etc etc. If you're defending and looking at the doors (as you should), you've switched perspectives.

and

Do people even read these threads before they throw their 2 cents in? Some people are just hopelessly dense...

Edited by matslarson