Have we given up on chat bubbles?

BlloRain

This is something I've been wondering as well, and asked the same question in closed beta over a year ago. They said that they were working on it at the time, but now it seems they just (honest assessment) forgot about it. Chat bubbles are kinda crucial in an RP environment. I rather they gave me the chat bubbles instead of the Legacy Emotes.

I asked about this the other day on Twitter and James pointed me to this SWTOR Q&A.

http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-feb-17th-2012#h

Unfortuantely, when they say it is "On the list" that just means it is a feature request. I would be a lot more interested in what priority they assigned to it. The fact that they mentioned that their attempt to implement it in beta caused performance issues tells me that the fix would touch a lot of code and likely is not trival. My gut feeling, as a developer myself, is that the risk probably outweighs the benefit and we are unlikely to see it until they overhaul the HeroEngine. Of course that is just an opinion that I hope is wrong.

We certainly haven't given up. You will find many like-minded individuals in the following thread:

Post there in support!

As for Bioware, nobody really knows. The last word on chat bubbles we got was back at the guild summit in the first week of March...they've been avoiding the issue like a plague for some reason, despite a huge amount of players asking for new information on chat bubbles...

here is an improvised solution me and my compadres used back in yahoo eons ego

oO(Insert message here)

kind of a lousy solution but it worked to help categorize out of character chat...maybe it could be used differently im not sure

I noticed this in the Q&A for this week:

Expect to see far more of the smaller quality of life requested features (color matching for companions, chat bubbles, etc.) start to get real traction under them in the near future.

At least it seems to still be on the to-do list.