Melee range is too far

fujeo-finel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Range is generally 30. Melee is mostly 5 to 10. People travel at 6 per second. So what you are complaining about is you can only cast one 3 second cast from max range before they are in range. With all the jumps and stealth the range advantage is mostly not there.

But this is a team game.. now consider that if you have a few ranged classes that stand apart that all assist on a melee class coupled with all the snares and CC and you see that range does have a workable viable strategy. This is why sorcs were nerfed in 1.2. Too many of them, whether DPS or Heals and you get a challenging situation. BW considered it an overpowered situation for the range classes.

Edited by LancelotOC

Needs to be half of what it is now.

My main's a madness sorc and I support this.

Since I also have a marauder and a jugg I realize the this more or less makes my main immortal against everything but a carnage marauder or 2 mercs attacking me in an open field from opposite directions simultaneously, which is why I support this :)

In other words, you have no idea how bad it would hurt melee classes if you cut their range in half.

Edited by Larry_Dallas

Range is generally 30. Melee is mostly 5 to 10. People travel at 6 per second. So what you are complaining about is you can only cast one 3 second cast from max range before they are in range. With all the jumps and stealth the range advantage is mostly not there.

But this is a team game.. now consider that if you have a few ranged classes that stand apart that all assist on a melee class coupled with all the snares and CC and you see that range does have a workable viable strategy. This is why sorcs were nerfed in 1.2. Too many of them, whether DPS or Heals and you get a challenging situation. BW considered it an overpowered situation for the range classes.

Scenario is too situational, and range are already underpowered as it is. Needing "a few range classes" against a single melee is not balance, especially when a few melee will hard counter a few range.

My main's a madness sorc and I support this.

Since I also have a marauder and a jugg I realize the this more or less makes my main immortal against everything but a carnage marauder or 2 mercs attacking me in an open field from opposite directions simultaneously, which is why I support this :)

In other words, you have no idea how bad it would hurt melee classes if you cut their range in half.

Poor melee. They already have 100% uptime, wouldn't want to make the game any harder for them.

Poor melee. They already have 100% uptime, wouldn't want to make the game any harder for them.

100% uptime? What PVP are you playing?

Knock backs, slows, roots, stuns, mezzes? I do not have 100% uptime. I run to a target (Do not Force Leap to initiate combat. That is a mistake.) then I have to stick on them and make sure I apply a snare, (which their run speed can counter by the way) then I have to go through a ridiculous and complicated rotation...

(default is:

Strike, Zealous Strike, Snare, Relic 1, Blade Rush, Blade Storm, Adrenal, Penetration, Master Strike, Blade Rush, Force Stasis, Dispatch...

Which looks like this:

1, 2, mouse keypad 6, mouse keypad 10, mouse keypad 1, mouse keypad 2, mouse keypad 11, mouse keypad 3, mouse keypad 5, mouse keypad 1, G, mouse wheel button...)

On top of having to watch for hitching (a phenomena in TOR only melee have to deal with, when you begin your animation, then it aborts halfway through) as well as prepare to mitigate any of a million forms of knock back, pull, stun, mezz, and kiting to ensure that you complete that rotation.

We have to deal with many of the problems ranged classes do as well, such as LOS'ing.

No melee has 100% uptime unless you try to sit there and facetank them.

Knock backs, slows, roots, stuns, mezzes? I do not have 100% uptime. I run to a target (Do not Force Leap to initiate combat. That is a mistake.) then I have to stick on them and make sure I apply a snare, (which their run speed can counter by the way) then I have to go through a ridiculous and complicated rotation...

(default is:

Strike, Zealous Strike, Snare, Relic 1, Blade Rush, Blade Storm, Adrenal, Penetration, Master Strike, Blade Rush, Force Stasis, Dispatch...

Which looks like this:

1, 2, mouse keypad 6, mouse keypad 10, mouse keypad 1, mouse keypad 2, mouse keypad 11, mouse keypad 3, mouse keypad 5, mouse keypad 1, G, mouse wheel button...)

On top of having to watch for hitching (a phenomena in TOR only melee have to deal with, when you begin your animation, then it aborts halfway through) as well as prepare to mitigate any of a million forms of knock back, pull, stun, mezz, and kiting to ensure that you complete that rotation.

You can bind all your attacks, adrenals, relics and buffs to one button and spam it. Works amazing, I always top in dps in my marauder. The complicated marauder and guardian rotation can be turned in easy one button mushing it will automatically apply the best action needed based on your attack priority, rage available and range. You don't even need to tab targets.

Melee are very macros friendly classes. I have all classes and did macros for all of them, with macros melee are very easy to play even easier than powertech and merc.

Edited by Roiz

You can bind all your attacks, adrenals, relics and buffs to one button and spam it. Works amazing, I always top in dps in my marauder. The complicated marauder and guardian rotation can be turned in easy one button mushing it will automatically apply the best action needed based on your attack priority, rage available and range. You don't even need to tab targets.

Melee are very macros friendly classes. I have all classes and did macros for all of them, with macros melee are very easy to play even easier than powertech and merc.

Do you own razer naga? if not that what?

Edited by Amerond

Needs to be half of what it is now.

Which one? The 4 metre "swing your lightsabre and hit something" range, or the 10 metre "short ranged" range that some attacks are set for?

While we are at it, let's reduce the ranged range from 30 metres to 15, and cut all damage in half as well. Too much of a blanket statement?

Do you own razer naga? if not that what?

First i tried razer naga with synapse, but it is not efficient you can do some simple macros but naga has time synchronisation problems with swtor ability queuing. Any keyboard macros programs is fine like autokey, hotkey.

(default is:

Which looks like this:

We have to deal with many of the problems ranged classes do as well, such as LOS'ing.

That's the only hard part about playing sent/mars, the rotation. If sents/maras didn't have a half complicated rotation, they'd be the most faceroll class in the history of MMO's. Aside from that, all you need is enough uptime to apply a snare (one force leap) and that's it, the range isn't going anywhere.

(default is:

Which looks like this:

He was being sarcastic. Melees don't have 100% uptime, ranged do obviously. He was just sarcastically asking why you would want to nerf it (Not you specifically, but the OP).

He was being sarcastic. Melees don't have 100% uptime, ranged do obviously. He was just sarcastically asking why you would want to nerf it (Not you specifically, but the OP).

The guy who made the 100% uptime comment is the OP. And his complaints seem to indicate someone who has not played a melee toon at level 50 for any length of time. The only ranged class that should be complaining is an arsenal merc and it's mirror, but that has more to do with the flaws in there design.

The guy who made the 100% uptime comment is the OP. And his complaints seem to indicate someone who has not played a melee toon at level 50 for any length of time. The only ranged class that should be complaining is an arsenal merc and it's mirror, but that has more to do with the flaws in there design.

YES! ^^ The merc part...

Their.

Also, yeah Arsenal mercs are one of the most poorly designed classes in the entire game. A single interrupt takes them down. Now when 2-3 of them stack on a melee target they win.

Edited by cyvaris

First i tried razer naga with synapse, but it is not efficient you can do some simple macros but naga has time synchronisation problems with swtor ability queuing. Any keyboard macros programs is fine like autokey, hotkey.

Thanks much for your suggestion! I downloaded autohotkey last night and bound 8 (!) attacks to one key. Makes life much easier, only minor side effect is the red spam on your screen when trying to fire off 8 attacks at once.

Just the fact that I have 8 attacks makes me think the ability bloat in a SWTOR is a bit much.

Yea, melee range is too far. As an Arsenal Merc I can't kite a Marauders because the range on it's melee attacks is too far. All melee attacks should have their range reduced to two or even one meter, so melee is actually melee and not short-ranged.