Marauder Q&A - DPS and you.

Zandermill

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

False and misleading. Rage spec is for leveling up. Carnage atm is best pve and pvp with some talents moved around for both. I'm raiding hard mode eternity vault atm in carnage spec. I'm full tier gear with mix of columni and rakata.

Could you link a spec so that I may take a look at your carnage spec? I am not trying to be snarky or anything. I am interested at looking into the main specs of each tree and possibly trying one. I like Annihilation, but I am quite interested in trying the others as well.

Like I said in a previous post, I leveled Annihilation and have been that way having just hit 50 a couple of days ago. I am not familiar with any of the other specs, but I definitely want one I like and enjoy playing as.

yup i'm more geared

/facepalm lol that's all i'll say,i got all columni and one rakatta,only difference is my offhand being tionese,which there's a bug that atm,on vendors tionese weapons are better than Rakatta stat ones,but on both cases,am not really gonna argue with you,saying you're more geared and talking about specs,just from your feel,and that you "yank" threat,for the record a good DPS is one that doesnt overaggro,and yet at sametime do max damage he could,i cleared 4/5 hardmode EV,i dont think you killed Soa hardmode yourself,so that puts us as same progress. but again,and this is for everyone,if you wanna add to discussion,do it in constructive way,packed with evidence,whether a link to a topic,or your own maths,or at least good reasons for why a spec or a change of points in a spec would give better results.

as for Lynksys: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bcZGGrbddMoMsZG.1 is an endgame pve carnage spec,only thing you can change,depending on your taste is cloak of carnage Talent

Edited by Eleftheria

/facepalm lol that's all i'll say,i got all columni and one rakatta,only difference is my offhand being tionese,which there's a bug that atm,on vendors tionese weapons are better than Rakatta stat ones,but on both cases,am not really gonna argue with you,saying you're more geared and talking about specs,just from your feel,and that you "yank" threat,for the record a good DPS is one that doesnt overaggro,and yet at sametime do max damage he could,i cleared 4/5 hardmode EV,i dont think you killed Soa hardmode yourself,so that puts us as same progress. but again,and this is for everyone,if you wanna add to discussion,do it in constructive way,packed with evidence,whether a link to a topic,or your own maths,or at least good reasons for why a spec or a change of points in a spec would give better results.

as for Lynksys: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#100bcZGGrbddMoMsZG.1 is an endgame pve carnage spec,only thing you can change,depending on your taste is cloak of carnage Talent

Thanks for the link, I was this first I think, but then changed to Rage spec to try it out, I might go back to this,

Just a question, do you use Massacare over vicious slash now? Or do you use both ?

Thanks for the link, I was this first I think, but then changed to Rage spec to try it out, I might go back to this,

Just a question, do you use Massacare over vicious slash now? Or do you use both ?

yes as carnage,massacre replace vicious slash completely

For the advent of discussion.

Bioware does infact have a Damage Meter built in game. They just have not released it to the public yet. However anyone that has played a Warzone at the end of the game, it will inform you of your highest hit, highest heal, and dps.

So it's kind of grumpy on Bioware's part to not just allow player access to a prebuilt system thats coded into the game for all aspects.

But thats another story for a Galaxy far far away.

I've rolled my marauder as Carnage to start with and before lvl 20 I've noticed that my dps was dependant mostly on vicious slashes at that point so figured Rage tree enhances the things I use the most at the point and I respecced into it.

I am lvl 50 now, we've cleared Eternity Vault on normal and 4/5 on hard mode. Same with bonetrasher, down on normal and still working on hard. I am mostly geared in columi and rakata gear along with some champion gear here and there and a few blues. So I'm not super epicced out, nor am I covered in trash.

I've read through all the pages of the thread, and while I don't have any data in the form of mathematical equations, I have my opinions of the rage tree.

I believe it to be a very powerful build, that is capable of high hits and with a good rotation a nice effective dps. For people who say we don't use AOE or speed buff from obliterate in operations, we do. Initiation to the first boss on EV uses AoE, there's also trash in all operations pretty much that require you to aoe and yes trash is a part of the operations as well even if not a boss encounter. Hard mode flashpoints definitely use your AoE from smash as well.

Speed gain from obliterate comes in very handy for bosses like bonetrasher especially on hard mode when he's constantly running around, you get an extra leap to catch up to him as well as a speed burst to keep on his *** more, as a melee dps it is quite useful for that encounter.

Aside from that, I love my big hits, and I love that on hard mode flashpoints I can pull aggro every now and then, that in pvp I end up being in top 3 total damage and have the highest hit out of everyone.. My smash crits in pvp go anywhere from 3.9k to 4.2k and for pve bosses/champion trash I get about 3.8 to 4.1k crits on smash. Sure it's an aoe skill but it's still a very hard hitting skill to have to go with everything else you have not to mention it's not even a skill you gain at lvl 40 through your talents, it's actually a skill you empower with your talents going up to your end tree talent which is also a powerful dot that is easy to keep up on the bosses during the fights and get that empowered guaranteed crit smashes everytime the cooldown is down.

(EDIT: Just came back from a warzone where I crit another player for 4.7k)

I haven't tried the other trees for operations or HM flashpoints so I can't say this is much better than they are. All I know is, I do very well with these because even when my party isn't fighting I can manage the adds/trash/bosses fine ( for example HM Darth Malgus fight where you have to 1v1 him for a while, I am always the one who burns him down the most % wise.) I love my spec, I love what it can do and I'd like to see the combat logs once they come out to compare with every other talent tree and every other dps class out there to know where we stand as marauders.

But till then I can say that whatever spec you are, be it rage or carnage or annihilation, I doubt it would make a worlds of difference in operations as long as you know how to play your character and keep up a sustained dps with the right rotation. All the trees should be capable of pushing out enough damage to pull their weight in operations. The idea of this thread is more to squeeze out that extra damage and take it one step further just to get everything possible out of the class we're given. And for now, with just 2 operation content and only a few hard modes where everyone is still poorly geared, I don't think there's a need to push for that much of a perfection. I'm sure there will be a lot of changes coming our way to play with the balance between classes and trees anyway.

To finish off,

Thanks a lot for this post, it's very educational and thanks to everyone who was mature enough to respond with different opinions with their reasons to why they think they were right, it really puts all the trees and ideas out in the light for everyone who wants to learn to see.

And here's a picture of my little lady and UI.

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2708/screenshot2012010502470.jpg

Edited by Dunpeal

I'm level 41 now and wish I had macros to save the 40+ rotation. It's not hat hard to remember but I'm terrible at therorycrafting and numbers, and the priorities change depending on the encounter.

Also you said previously that you removed rupture from the rotation, is it because for we can't afford it rage points-wise, or is it because its dot damage is negligible?

For the advent of discussion.

Bioware does infact have a Damage Meter built in game. They just have not released it to the public yet. However anyone that has played a Warzone at the end of the game, it will inform you of your highest hit, highest heal, and dps.

So it's kind of grumpy on Bioware's part to not just allow player access to a prebuilt system thats coded into the game for all aspects.

But thats another story for a Galaxy far far away.

It is not a damage meter per se. They just track and add the amount of damage a player does. You cannot accurately calculate dps on a warzone match because you are not always attacking someone. There are very distinct periods (e.g. going from spawn to somewhere else on map) where your damage is zero. Because of these periods, the stats at the end of the game are not necessarily related to how good a build is.

Also, I've played plenty of warzones, I've never seen dps as a stat, nor highest crit and highest heal. Have I totally missed something? All I've seen is the following in order:

MVP Votes, Total Damage, Kills, Protection, Deaths, Healing, Objectives and Medals

I'm looking at pictures of the end stats now and there is no sub menu or anything outside of filters to narrow down the screen to just allies or just enemies.

In any case, I will keep this guide in mind, but I'm not respec'ing from carnage until I hit 50, get some good gear, and do some investigating. But it seems to me that a high crit rating coupled with high surge and the bonuses to certain abilities that carnage gives me that my burst dps is going to be better for more situations in the dynamic flow of a PvP match than Rage. But, sigh, Bioware has left us without the tools to confirm.

In a warzone put your mouse over your damage done, it will give you total dps for the warzone done.

Also Im 49. work has been hectic and so am waiting for the weekend to get that push into 50, then do some pickup raids, as the rest of my guild have been busy with school / work / holidays and havent all hit 50 yet.

I'm getting highly discouraged playing this class. I've spent the better part of my leveling experience following around my Merc friend only to find I'm not doing a whole helluva lot of damage, nor am I killing enemies as fast as they are.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but before I really even get a charge/Smash off, the enemies have been killed or brought down to half life by the time I get to them.

On Elite mobs I can't seem to keep up in damage either. Meanwhile having to listen to the bragging/seeing how fast they take out enemies is putting a major damper on this entire experience for me.

I started Anni, now Carnage, soon going to try rage. Any tips? Or should I not bother trying to compete against a BH in damage?

Also, I dont rupture because its so inefficient from a rage stand point.

I'd only rupture to leave a dot ticking on a boss if I had to target switch.

Ah I see. Thanks for the answer. I use your thread as my reference, even if I do things a bit differently. ( I keep rupture and I put one point in gravity instead of relentless fury). I switched to rage at level 28 because your thread told it was very good for PvE. I'm now level 42 and entirely satisfied.

I'm getting highly discouraged playing this class. I've spent the better part of my leveling experience following around my Merc friend only to find I'm not doing a whole helluva lot of damage, nor am I killing enemies as fast as they are.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but before I really even get a charge/Smash off, the enemies have been killed or brought down to half life by the time I get to them.

On Elite mobs I can't seem to keep up in damage either. Meanwhile having to listen to the bragging/seeing how fast they take out enemies is putting a major damper on this entire experience for me.

I started Anni, now Carnage, soon going to try rage. Any tips? Or should I not bother trying to compete against a BH in damage?

Moon, unless you're rage. You wont be able to compete agaisnt a BH once they hit 20 and get tracer. If they use 35% armor pen gas, and just tracer missile / rail shot they will take mobs apart.

They are all about front end damage, and they just get better and better as they have more tools to vent off heat. They basically zero to sixty in 3 seconds, where you have ramp up time of nine - fifteen seconds. It's how the spec's differ.

In Theory you could match a BH's sheer dps output before they heat max by using rage, and my prescribed builds. Because rage is all about front load damage as well. Burst them before they burst you kind of mentality. It's all about how fast you can obtain your 4 stack for smash to hit like a truck.

Just remember two different classes. But BH has a heads up on us, esp if they go a certain spec in pvp / pve. But we can get them on the back end of the game, as sadly this class dosent shine until you begin to get a lot of orange gear and wait for purples to drop. We scale, better then any class in the game because of our mechanic generation, but its getting there that is the hard part.

I finally made the switch to Rage. I leveled to 50 as Carnage as it's what I played on Beta and felt comfortable with. I must say, the rotation and proc/buff watching takes some getting used to and I'm still getting acquainted with it, but so far I'm liking it much better than carnage. I really appreciate you putting this guide up here, has really helped me balances some things out. Just one question, to clear up my doubts.. Is vicious slash no longer used as Rage? I've not seen it in the rotations and as someone else pointed out, you could use it for a rage dump but no need as by the time you've gone through the rotation, abilities are back off CD and you start all over.

Never underestimate charge + savage kick (tab to next target) + smash + pommel strike when facing groups of normal mobs.

If you dont take down a mob with the kick, it won't have much left fight left in it. I've hit both abilities and got crits before now and left myself with 2 less mobs to worry about.

Remember, utilise all your abilities! Some of them are far more useful than they first appear. And Pommel Strike, for the record, hits like a truck.